Elon Musk Is A Big Fan Of The Original “Deus Ex”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is Elon Musk our guy? It sounds like he’s been playing a bit of Overwatch these days, but he also mentions the new Deus Ex and how its story falls short of the original—a point I think we all can agree on.

He's not wrong. Just finished Mankind Divided and while it's not a bad game from a gameplay perspective, the story just wasn't as ambitious as past installments (especially the original).

It hinted at a deeper, more sinister plot but ended just as things started to get interesting.

I'm curious as to where they'll take the story next since they are boxed in between Mankind Divided and the original at this point.

How the fuck does this guy have any time for games at all?

Because he doesn't fucking invent anything or manage any money. He delegates a lot of taks with the direction of getting funding from point A to point B because he thinks point B is going to do something cool with it. The dude probably has exactly as much free time as he wants.

He's not wrong. Just finished Mankind Divided and while it's not a bad game from a gameplay perspective, the story just wasn't as ambitious as past installments (especially the original).

It hinted at a deeper, more sinister plot but ended just as things started to get interesting.

I'm curious as to where they'll take the story next since they are boxed in between Mankind Divided and the original at this point.

I stopped about half thru, just couldn't get into it. I'll eventually go back and finish it, but after playing something like the Witcher 3, everything pales...

I stopped about half thru, just couldn't get into it. I'll eventually go back and finish it, but after playing something like the Witcher 3, everything pales...

Witcher 3 was probably the best game I've ever played. Mankind Divided has it's place though. I really enjoy the stealth aspects of the game, although with the exception of remote hacking the new augments were pretty useless (for me).

Because he doesn't fucking invent anything or manage any money. He delegates a lot of taks with the direction of getting funding from point A to point B because he thinks point B is going to do something cool with it. The dude probably has exactly as much free time as he wants.
I think you seriously underestimate the amount of time he (or any CEO level person) puts into his work. People like him are in constant communication throughout the day putting out fires or clearing roadblocks...and we all know both Tesla and SpaceX have plenty. He's also been known to quite hands on in every part of the businesses, even down to interviewing engineers as part of a panel. I have friends at SpaceX that were interviewed with him in the room. They said he asked only one question, usually about something they had mentioned earlier, and that he was multitasking with his own work. He doesn't give me the impression that has much free time at all.

I went back and replayed the original Deus Ex a couple of years ago. It was tough to get into at first because of the dated graphics, but after some aftermarket mods (32bit rendering ad modern resolution support being one of them) it did improve, and once I got used to the dated graphics it wasn't a problem.

That being said, I think memories of the original title are maybe fonder than what reality supports. Back then Deus Ex was unique and really stood out. It totally wowed me. It was fun to play through it again, but going back it doesn't stand out anymore compared to modern titles. I'm not sure any modern game could.

Anyway, while Invisible War was total garbage that never got any real attention from me, I thoroughly enjoyed both Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. No title can stand out as much as the original Deus Ex, but these two titles both have compelling storylines and a delicious post-apocalyptical type grim future world that sucks you in. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are the only modern titles that sucked me in enough to the point where I had that sensation of emptiness, sorrow or loss when the games were over, and there was no more to play, much like the experience you have when you finish a really good book, and there is no more to red.

I'm really looking forward to the next one, but if it's going to be another 5 years, that means 2021, a year which sounds futuristic to me. By that time we may ACTUALLY be buying augs and having them installed :p

I wish they could pump out a titles in the series annually, and still maintain the length and quality of the games.

Anyway, whatever happened to that movie that was supposedly being made, based off of the story behind Human Revolution?

Last edited:
That Interview looked over until Elon asked the other guy, "WHat else do you play?" and kept the conversation going. Props to Elon, love that guy. And Elon if your reading this, "1v1 me bro!" ;)

Of course he is, that magnificent tinfoil hat wearing son of a bitch!

Its always nice to see more celebrity gamer's coming out of the closet. The media is still treating it like a stigma. My aunt called me a while back. She was having a meltdown because her 17 year old had given up on school and was trying to go competitive playing Counter-strike. The part of me that's been playing counter-strike for 14 years almost responded "So he needs a coach or a manager?"

Its always nice to see more celebrity gamer's coming out of the closet. The media is still treating it like a stigma. My aunt called me a while back. She was having a meltdown because her 17 year old had given up on school and was trying to go competitive playing Counter-strike. The part of me that's been playing counter-strike for 14 years almost responded "So he needs a coach or a manager?"

Don't professional gamer careers usually get cut short from carpal tunnel and other wrist injuries?

Back