Elite Dangerous Aliens!!!

Lifelite

Supreme [H]ardness
Not sure if there are any elite players here, if so you probably already have heard:

Probably one of the most awesome things to happen in the game since launch. Looks like the Thargoids are finally making an appearance, let's see how this plays out.

Between this and Horizons.... good times to be an ED player.

I haven't played this in two years, but I got goosebumps and shuddered.

Been watching all the hints in the audio and whatnot for awhile. Glad to see them finally making an appearance. The Thargoids have always been something truly frightening to me in my head case.

can anyone give a tl;dr of what I've been missing out? I didn't pick up Horizons because at the time (Nov 2015), it seemed like all you could do was bounce around in a moon buggy on a lifeless world. When I put down the game, it was just endless grind of farm NPCs until you could upgrade your ship. Are there any interesting things to do, questlines, or something that a solo or duo could do?

edit: Not implying anything other than "What could I be missing out on since Horizons has matured somewhat"

can anyone give a tl;dr of what I've been missing out? I didn't pick up Horizons because at the time (Nov 2015), it seemed like all you could do was bounce around in a moon buggy on a lifeless world. When I put down the game, it was just endless grind of farm NPCs until you could upgrade your ship. Are there any interesting things to do, questlines, or something that a solo or duo could do?

edit: Not implying anything other than "What could I be missing out on since Horizons has matured somewhat"
Mission system has changed completely, there is a crafting system, you can ferry passengers now, have a fighter bay....the list goes on for a while. The gameplay hasn't changed too much really. I don't know what you may be missing out on in regards to horizons because I rarely go to planets, someone else would have to fill in that.

Mission system has changed completely,

Good, because when I left it, the missions were all the same. Travel to X and kill Y. You never meet X at Y, but he's at Z. While at Z, You find X and he tries to bribe you into not killing him.

there is a crafting system, you can ferry passengers now, have a fighter bay....the list goes on for a while.

Good, because farming pirates got old.

The gameplay hasn't changed too much really. I don't know what you may be missing out on in regards to horizons because I rarely go to planets, someone else would have to fill in that.

Sounds like more than what I ever experienced. Might have to pick it up.

Good, because when I left it, the missions were all the same. Travel to X and kill Y. You never meet X at Y, but he's at Z. While at Z, You find X and he tries to bribe you into not killing him.

Good, because farming pirates got old.

Sounds like more than what I ever experienced. Might have to pick it up.
To be safe, just try vanilla before buying horizons. It seems a lot different to me, but I've been playing for a long time. I think with vanilla elite you should see a lot of the good updates.

I've been really close to buying this multiple times. How much better does VR make the game? would be cool if PSVR was somehow supported on PC....it's the only vr headset I have right now.

I've been really close to buying this multiple times. How much better does VR make the game? would be cool if PSVR was somehow supported on PC....it's the only vr headset I have right now.
This game was the coolest VR experience I ever had. This was a year ago on an Oculus DK2

This game was the coolest VR experience I ever had. This was a year ago on an Oculus DK2
This is no joke. Back when I was playing, a friend lent me his DK2 and Holy hell, this would have been my "Killer App" for VR had the resolution (of the DK2) been higher. I could only play for an hour before eye-strain got the best of me, but what an hour of play that was. What got me was when using my HOTS setup, I got the ghost impulses when watching the idle animations of the pilot on the controls. The game made me try to emulate the idle animations in real life, very immersive.

The most awe-inspiring moment was when I pulled up the galaxy map where it gave me the sensation of floating in the galactic mass. Navigation was horrid, but what a visual experience.

This is no joke. Back when I was playing, a friend lent me his DK2 and Holy hell, this would have been my "Killer App" for VR had the resolution (of the DK2) been higher. I could only play for an hour before eye-strain got the best of me, but what an hour of play that was. What got me was when using my HOTS setup, I got the ghost impulses when watching the idle animations of the pilot on the controls. The game made me try to emulate the idle animations in real life, very immersive.

The most awe-inspiring moment was when I pulled up the galaxy map where it gave me the sensation of floating in the galactic mass. Navigation was horrid, but what a visual experience.
Fuck trying to navigate that map with oculus, THAT definitely needed some work. I had the same issue with eye strain, but upping AA and Super Sampling helped....as well as changing the color of the HUD. First time I flew in an asteroid field I got a bit of motion sickness and almost puked, but I found the drinking alcohol actually helps.

TONS better. The resolution isn't as good as a regular monitor, but the sensation of looking out the window of your ship at things makes it SO much better.

The solution to the galaxy map is a gamepad. Set up the camera axes on the sticks and it becomes usable.

Replying to subscribe to this thread. Got the game over christmas break. Very interesting game but i like it.

Did my first mission last night. Delivered some good to a neighboring space station.. Praying that i dont get robbed by pirates. didnt happen, so i completed it, and got paid 91 stacks. took only 15 minutes, very fun. im going to do a few more to trick out my ship, then ill attempt to bounty hunt.

Last edited:
IM really liking this game.. Just bought my first ship. A transport ship, dont remember the name of it. But i made sure that my ships has the standard docking computer. I love it. get in range of the docking port, let down landing gear, and the computer takes over. very funny how they play the classical Mozart music when the ship is about to dock. Cut my docking time from 2 minutes to like 10 seconds. The only part that sucks is that i had to replace something on my ship to accommodate it. my transport, i gave up a cargo bay.

Are you all using keyboard/mouse, a console controller, or the stick/ throttle thing?

Cool.. that gives me a little hope for playing the game and not having to throw down money on a control system for it.

I fell out of this game about a year ago. I never upgraded to Horizons, and didn't jump back despite having HOTAS, rudder, VoiceAttack and TrackIR.

I have been playing since late beta. I love this game. RPG in space. If you link up with some players for chat etc you literally end up making it D&D in space.

I use a Steam Controller for it, works great since I dont have the space for HOTAS. The touchpads are crazy sensitive making flying more precise compared to a 360 controller.

Currently doing delivery missions, bought two ships, but now i wanna get my noodle wet. gonna purchase a fighter, just to kick some ass. Time to learn to fight.

Back