eliminating the buzz/hissing from onboard miniplug output

hardc0re

Gawd
Hello,

My onboard soundcard emits a loud hiss and buzz to the speakers. when the computer is off and speakers are on the sound is not there, this is sound emanating from the hard drive and other mechanical parts on the computer. Is there some sort of filter i can use on the output that would eliminate these noises? I am not planning to get a add-in sound card to resolve this either.

External DAC. Problem is that there is a lot of noise from the high frequency traces on the motherboard (like from the CPU, northbridge, southbridge, ect) that the analog circuits in the sound card pick up on. This is what causes this sound. I'm very familiar with the sound too. Sounds like you can hear the hard drive seeking through the speakers.

An external DAC would remedy this situation by isolating the analog components from the electrical noise inside the computer's case.

Or an autocorrelator......(am i the only one who has one of these things??)

your onboard audio is picking up static from other components in your rig, a discrete sound card will remove this issue, but a DAC will do the best job

so either way ill have to break the bank on a sound card or DAC to fix this. I was looking of a cheaper solution though.

This is a really old thread, but just in case anyone has this problem with an old mobo, install a ground loop isolator. I just found a two year old motherboard in my attic that was an upgrade compared to what I had in my server. It's a Biostar Hi-Fi A88W 3D motherboard with good components for the analog outputs. I got rid of Server 2008 and installed Windows 7 so drivers and mediamonkey would work. Great sound but when no music was playing you could hear a high pitched sound that corresponded with my hard drive spinning. I'm not sure where you can get a ground loop isolator. I happened to have a few left over after installing a stereo in my car a long time ago. They are the blue ones sold by Monoprice. Well not true now, they don't sell them anymore. Hope this helps some lost soul.

I bought on Amazon couple months ago for a project. 3.5mm on both ends, $8 delivered with Amazon Prime.

I was skeptical, but for $8, whatever. Completely blown away, removed all the static.

They have small transformers inside, that simply pass only "AC" of the audio band. They are totally passive and require no power source.

Back