Elex from Piranha Bytes 10-17-17

ACG review is up. Might want to wait for a few patches before buying.

The character movement seems floaty like Gothic was and not really engaged in the environment looks like a simulation of a game.
Game looks like a poor mans Anthem I really like the jetpacks though I never really seen that in a sandbox game.
If the made the game more packaged on on rails it could be alot better rather this open ended stuff. Spend more time on immersion than with simulation of a game.

If you want good immersion in a game see Sniper Ghost Warrior 3

Last edited:
The more janky it looks, the more I want to play it and relive the early 2000's, maybe I'm the only one that likes kiting NPCs, a broken combat mechanic, maybe I played too many years of EQ, and EQ2 but man I'm stoked even if it runs like a potato on fire.

The more janky it looks, the more I want to play it and relive the early 2000's, maybe I'm the only one that likes kiting NPCs, a broken combat mechanic, maybe I played too many years of EQ, and EQ2 but man I'm stoked even if it runs like a potato on fire.

The environments and verticality look stellar, but the jankity combat does look like something out of the late-90's, early-2000's.

^^ This is vintage Pirhana Bytes. I just don't get why, after all this time, they can't fully ascend from this sort of thing. I understand they aren't AAA and all but c'mon.

For $33 I'll keep my preorder. I have a soft spot in my heart for these guys. If the game is a real wreck it will go to my back burner until some dry patch and by that time I'm sure this game will have seen at least one patch.
Played the Gothic games so I know what to expect. Agreed that it's one of those games you'll play when you're not knee-deep in your backlog.

Reviews shaping up....vintage Pirhana Bytes. Needs patches. Very unbalanced combat. Ranged nonexistent. Things like that. Even the harsher ones are saying "there's a great game hidden beneath (list of quibbles complaints here.)

I'm hopeful that PB will throw full support at this game. A few patches could really put the thing over the top.

Last edited:
Reviews shaping up....vintage Pirhana Bytes. Needs patches. Very unbalanced combat. Ranged nonexistent. Things like that. Even the harsher ones are saying "there's a great game hidden beneath (list of quibbles complaints here.)

I'm hopeful that PB will throw full support at this game. A few patches could really put the thing over the top.

It looks fairly cool to me, but yeah... I'll wait until they patch it, and push it over the top. Then I'll give it a try.

Part of me wishes this was made by a triple A studio, and part of me is glad it wasn't. Lots of nostalgia feels on this one, if you're an old timer, and played RPGs/MMO from 20 years or so ago, you will enjoy this, I've got just under 2 hours in so far and its not as bad as it is being made out to be. At the moment my criticism is not the combat, its the environment, I'm pretty sure they stole the exact same trees from Kunark (If you have to ask what I'm talking about it wouldn't make sense if I explained it), sound is also pretty hit and miss, but the gameplay is very OG in feel and combat isn't half as bad as its being made out to be, I mean, dodging and timing an attack omg the horror.

So far this is my favorite screenshot, I have others, but the lighting in the game is pretty sweet, graphics are definitely COD level here but, I'm enjoying it.

upload_2017-10-17_23-51-15.png

upload_2017-10-17_23-52-50.png

This is seeming more and more like something I'd like. I think I'll hold off until next month, as I know I'll be dropping everything for Wolfenstein, and then pick this up after I finish that.

I won't be buying this right now, but it'll definitely be on my radar. I played all three Gothic games (Arcania doesn't count regardless of the title) to completion and I'm not ashamed to say that I liked them.

Elex review- Eurogamer

Hokey, uneven and janky, Elex is nonetheless a compelling throwback to a time before open worlds became choose your own to-do lists

One can't help but wonder what game might one day arise were Piranha Bytes ever given the development resources of Bethesda, because with less than a quarter of the numbers that worked full-time on making Fallout 4, Piranha Bytes have cobbled together an RPG that in some areas comes close to matching it...yes, Elex is far, far scrappier overall, the lore is clumsy and unconvincing, and there's enough grit in the combat, presentation and parts of the narrative to have you running for the nearest GOTY Edition chart-topping RPG...but, if you give Elex the benefit of the doubt, it's many freedoms will start to win you over...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-18-elex-review

$33 on steam vs $50 on GoG...

But those screenshots though, medieval Inn and building with gas canisters, not easy to see how they are in the same world, I might actually be tempted.

This actually looks really fun for some reason. I may have to pick it up tomorrow. $33 isn't going to break the bank and I could use something new in my life.

Seriously ton's of shit to do, crafting, cooking, sneaking around at night, easily getting past the EverQuest tree's lol...Also NPC triggers can be tricky as far as when to or not to do something, (Turn in's etc.) I don't feel like restarting a 100 times so I'm going with my first reactions.

Last edited:
Honestly looks like the type of game i'm looking for. I'll likely pick it up during the winter sale. The graphics don't look that bad honestly given the size of the game.

No, it's not Witcher 3 level or what Cyberpunk will be, but given the budget it's good enough.

^^ This is vintage Pirhana Bytes. I just don't get why, after all this time, they can't fully ascend from this sort of thing. I understand they aren't AAA and all but c'mon.

For $33 I'll keep my preorder. I have a soft spot in my heart for these guys. If the game is a real wreck it will go to my back burner until some dry patch and by that time I'm sure this game will have seen at least one patch.
Yup, super typical from them.

I like a lot of aspects to this game but I have to say it regretfully: The combat is (for me) hideous. I'm going to put this on the backburner for now and see what happens to it in a few months.

I think part of the problem is that they appear to have gone to a "controller" model for moving the character. So instead of turning the character rotates. Movement is going to always be a couple of steps. Witcher also had this problem until they fixed it (by giving an option). And that is all I can say for now, too much into warframe to play this and give it proper justice.

I started playing this morning and I immediately like it. Yeah the textures are shit in some places and the sound is definitely lacking behind the AAA studios, but those are just minor issues. The gameplay seems to be quite fun, haven't seen the need for a controller yet but maybe as I get to harder battles I'll need one.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/20/elex-review

"technical disaster"

"The biggest problem with ELEX is that it’s buggy to the point I almost wasn’t able to finish it. "

There's some potentially great aspect underneath but... etc. etc.

The reviews are shaping up in the usual "vintage Pirhana Bytes" fashion.

This... maybe some 6's and 7s at best here and there... but the likes and dislikes are essentially the same across the boards. The combat and the "hit boxes" are broken as is.

I wish PB could get some money and muscle behind them and help them get over the top finally. They can do some things with patches post release but that's a lot more difficult vs having this thing being worked on for at least another 6-12 months which is what it really needed.

I won't be surprised if this is their last game. They just can't seem to pull it off all the way and that's a true shame.

Last edited:
I've got about 4 hours in and I'm having great fun still. Although I died laughing when I noticed the constant tit jiggle on all of the female npcs. Its so weird.

I've taken to buying up all the arrows I can and then using my jetpack to get on top of something so I can abuse the enemies and dodge their stupid spit attacks seeing as literally everything kills you in one hit with melee.

I've got about 4 hours in and I'm having great fun still. Although I died laughing when I noticed the constant tit jiggle on all of the female npcs. Its so weird.

I've taken to buying up all the arrows I can and then using my jetpack to get on top of something so I can abuse the enemies and dodge their stupid spit attacks seeing as literally everything kills you in one hit with melee.

I see the old tricks from Gothic still work on this game too. I used to kite orcs only to climb up a boulder and pelt them with arrows for 15 minutes. It's cheap as hell, but what are they gonna do, put you in RPG jail?

I see the old tricks from Gothic still work on this game too. I used to kite orcs only to climb up a boulder and pelt them with arrows for 15 minutes. It's cheap as hell, but what are they gonna do, put you in RPG jail?

lol yeah

I beat up Drog when I don't think I was supposed to, he hit me once and brought me down to like 2% health but used all of his energy bar, so I was able to back him into a wall and click for like 15 minutes and whittle him down to nothing while he couldn't move. Hilarious.

This is why I love this game, I like the OG mechanics of trains, kitting and exploiting lol... I would love to put more time in, however I'm stuck UAT testing a software platform in the real world.

What faction are you guys going with? I really want to get to the clerics personally. I don't like the Beserkers at all after how they've acted so far.

I feel like the berserkers are the better choice for melee characters, but I really like the Clerics. I'm still on the fence between those two. I really dislike the berseker's aversion to technology, but I'm not big on the cleric's need to convert everyone either. The way they hide their religion texts is suspicious too

I can say that the Clerics turned me off, but they're the only one's that have full auto for ranged, and as anyone knows ranged is OP compared to straight melee unless you have the stamina to chain specials. I know its not ideal, but I'm holding off as long as I can before I take sides.

Last edited:
Looks like a solid 6/10 game. If you just want another open world RPG and can look past the awful NPC faces / animations / dialogs it may be a good deal on the christimas sale for $20 or less.

I've been playing for about 20 hours now and I can say I've been enjoying it. The comparisons to Gothic and risen are spot on. If you found any enjoyment in their other games then pick this up it's worth it in my mind.
There's a challenge to it that keeps me wanting to figure out how to complete a quest or get past an obstacle.
There are definitely bugs and quirks but I've only experienced a ctd once which to me is an accomplishment for their games out of the box.

Sounds like my experience with Risen. Fun times though.

I absolutely loathed risen, so I guess I'll pass on this. Also post apocalyptic game with no vehicles? Another reason to pass.

I absolutely loathed risen, so I guess I'll pass on this. Also post apocalyptic game with no vehicles? Another reason to pass.
There's a jet-pack in game. But I prefer a shopping cart in my post-apocalypse.

When I first tried out Risen years ago, I couldn't believe how horrible the controls are and unintuitive the UI navigation is. I guess I took a chance on it and had more with the game than I expected. Combat gets slightly better after you upgrade. Similar to any of the Elder Scrolls game, the combat mechanics are wonky, but you learn to love it a bit after while.

Completed this at about 75 hours in and got the good ending. I enjoyed it mostly, though it's definitely not a game for everyone, even those who like RPGs. It's a eurojank title, something anyone who has played any of Pirhana Bytes previous games would be familiar with. I would recommend it to you only if you've played any of PB's previous RPGs and accept that the occasional clunkiness and frustration are part of the overall package.

Some Pros
-The world is large and has a vast amount of content packed into it. The map can be deceiving as this game has a fair amount of vertical exploration, the gameplay part of the game world (ie not counting large empty areas) is large enough in size it's probably comparable to an Elder Scrolls game.
-Both the main story as well as the individual plot-lines of the factions, primary characters and your companions are both fairly well done and interesting - optionally exploration will also uncover notes/books/audiologs etc which contribute nicely to the world building
-You start off weak and will spend the first few hours of the game incapable of taking on anything but the weakest of creatures - but the payoff is that as the game progresses you really appreciate your character's growth in strength and power.
-Quite a few quests have multiple ways of dealing with them with consequences that matter, the system is robust enough to handle some of the key characters dying or getting killed early on, and there is quite a lot of optional side content in the game
-Not often you get an RPG with an armament scope anywhere from sword+sandals to magic+fireballs to guns+ammunition to lasers+plasma weapons simultaneously. The game does a pretty decent job of blending all the archetypes into a coherent experience, not just being mix and match playable but also making sense within the confines of the story

Some Cons
-Combat is clunky as hell when there's multiple enemies. Against 1 enemy its fine, against 2 enemies it's serviceable, but anything involving groups is just a mess. I could list a ton of things that could be improved here, but the most problematic is probably the hidden Poise mechanic (using Souls terminology). Too many plain-jane enemies have simple attacks that will result in a stun/knockdown, whereas they seems to have very high Poise with often uninterruptible combos. It wouldn't be a PB game without the occasional 'stunlocked to death' feature, wouldn't it.
-The game needs a lot of polish with some of it's systems (such as the combat, the inventory management, the questlog, crafting etc) - multiple times while playing the game I said to myself "why couldn't they cut the world size down by 1/3rd and spend the time/money on polishing the systems in the game that need it". Can't help but think that the game world is so large with so much content that maybe they spent too much time on it rather that some quality assurance with the rest of the game.
-The game has this 'cold system' for keeping track of how 'good/evil' you are, which isn't too different I guess from reputation systems in typical RPGs. Problem is that later on in the game it locks you into specific dialogue options, that can be the completely total opposite of how you played the game. For example you could play the entire game as a 'good guy' - but if your cold value isn't within a specific range for some very important plot quests you might be locked into 'evil bad guy' dialogue.

There's a lot I can go on but for now I'll just say that for the 35 bucks I paid for this title it was worth it and I enjoyed my time with it mostly, and anyone who has enjoyed PBs old games (like the gothic games or risen games) should enjoy this title. I heard they are working on Elex2 right now, which means this was successful enough to warrant a sequel, I'm happy at their success but I wish they would borrow some ideas (especially combat) from other devs, the way everyone has been borrowing from From Software in recent years.

I agree multi mob combat sucks, when I started using a shield my life got better, when I finally got a decent 1h'er with an effect, I felt like I broke the game, it wasn't like a gradual progression to being badass, it was like I turned the lights on all of a sudden.

Quests were great
Meaningful armor/weapon variety, you pick a build, you're probably going to be stuck with the same janky shit for hours, and hours and hours and hours and hours.
Replay value? Eh?

In summary at first the OG vibe had me glowing, to me the game felt like a single player MMO, if this makes sense, it had a lot of old school RPG/MMO to it, big unforgiving world that didn't hold you hand, but at the same time had none of the risk vs reward with it, it was all risk for some janky crap or nothing at all....

I hope Elex 2 fixes some of the short falls, I mean maybe I will pick it up again and try another faction, but after playing this, I need something stupid to play like Wolfentsein or Agents of Mayhem... I feel more burnt out then I did after 188 hours of DS3.

Oh man I remember playing the old Gothic games. Especially the parts where you'd meet a nasty monster there's no way you can beat 1x1. But you can always kite it to the nearby village and loot whoever doesn't survive the carnage! :D
I miss those games. Definitely picking up Elex once my new parts arrive.

I finally got around to this and warts and all it's grown on me.

Today's 2.5 GB patch is a big deal and a much needed one:

FULL STORIES HEADLINES
7:58am
ELEX Version 1.0.2946.0 - Game Quest Fixes + New Difficulty Setting
ELEX - THQ Nordic
Update December 20th 2017
Changelog

New Difficulty Settings:
- Player Damage: damage dealt by the player.
- Opponent Damage: damage dealt by your Opponents.
- Stamina cost: modifies the stamina cost for your actions.

Engine:
- Added FXAA T2x and SMAA T2x anti-aliasing techniques (and resolution scaling)

Quests:
- Improved Angrim’s routine behavior, when he should have a small-talk with Zerwas. (Works only if Zerwas hasn't already talked to the third Berserker)
- The map targets regarding the research papers of the Clerics will now be updated correctly if the player has the task to obtain them for the Claws.
- Fixed some Duras ques targets
- Fixed a bug with Eva and a letter
- Fixed illogical dialogue with Connor regarding his recruitment for the Clerics, fixed map targets for Connor and Xander in terms of Connor’s recruitment
- Fixed issue where player can get stuck in a dialogue with Karl (only new game)
- Gondar’s key can now be found near his corpse
- One of Hunter’s Quests should now closer properly if the player decides to kill Gustav
- Fixed map targets involving Balder trying to become a Legate of the Clerics
- Fixed several daily routine issues
- One of Galar’s quest should now close properly if the player convinces him to work for the Clerics
- Ryan should have now a proper trading inventory
- Player can get the Alb Commander armor. Depending on the players actions he can even get the Alb Elexetor Armor now.
- Regarding your actions before (Jax helps Trevor or Lucky Sam), Mad Bob’s second Scrap Delivery Quest will work now properly and all involved NPCs should trigger the right dialog options.
- Fixed a bug where the player was unable to give Chloe the Elexit bags of some Berserkers.
- If the player used the power of Suggestion to get hand on the stolen Elex packages Kral has in his possession, he will now do so. If the player already had the Suggestion dialogue with Kral he now only has to report back to Caldrim and the quest situation will behave normal.
- Fixed some dialogue issues regarding Thorgal and Emmet's farm
- Korin will now behave normally if you pickpocket metal parts from him for Jora.
- The dialogue with the dead letter box makes now clear what the player needs to do if he looted Logan’s chest in beforehand
- Hakon now rewards the player with a proper sword
- Fixed an issue where the player was sent by Cormag to help Born. If Born is dead, he will now be able to tell Cormag that Born is dead and the questline will proceed as intended.
- Fixed an issue where Snake had an illogical dialog option
- Fixed some illogical dialogs Cindy might have had in certain cases
- One of Balder’s quests should now have a proper quest target and close properly if the player reports back to Balder. Furthermore, he is now a trader if the player joined the Clerics (if the player was already a Cleric you have to talk twice to Balder to make his trading info appear).
- Removed Ethan’s loyalty exploit for crew members
- Alois should now take money from the player if he has to pay up for a committed crime.
- Walter should now hand over some shards if the player asks for it
- Fixed illogical dialogue for Oran after player bribes him to trade again with one of the Clans
- Adjusted amount of Elexit for Shorty in certain cases
- Removed illogical dialogue option for Rijka in case Bertram is not alive anymore
- Fixed a dialogue issue regarding Irdor’s reward depending on the player’s actions
- Vito should now trigger a certain info about the thieves guild at the right time
- A quest target showing Martha will now be removed correctly if the player delivered all the food
- Ragnar’s quest should now succeed correctly if the player told him that all warlords gave him their approval for redemption. If this situation lies in the past, just talk to Ragnar again until he has nothing to say anymore and the quest should succeed itself
- Fixed a map target regarding Alois’s quest involving Paige
- A quest regarding Irdor’s food problem will now be closed if the player hands him enough Cultivator's bread loaves
- Fixed missing quest targets for one of Caleb’s quests
- Fixed some map targets involving Caldrim and Kral
- Fixed a quest and map targets involving Jorg, Caleb, and Fenk
- Fixed a situation where Ray should attack Walter
- Fixed a dialog with Logan about Ulrich and Konrad
- Shorty now has a trade inventory

Game:
- Added Chinese language package
- Improved breaking chance of lockpicks for chests
- Weather and lighting improvements
- Added missing small white socket stones
- Some NPCs had wrong weapons equipped, now they have a proper one
- Arva and her Troll will now react in a correct behavior
- 2-handed weapons and heavy weapons now need the perk Level of 2 to dismantle them
- You need the Build Ammo perk on Lvl 2 to build ammo for heavy weapons
- Fixed a bug where the player has endless jetpack energy
- Fixed an issue with the Pickpocket skill when the player has an equipped item that gives him a bonus skill
- Fixed some issues when creatures and NPCs fell through the ground
- Sunglasses don't give armor bonus anymore
- Fixed a bug with energy regeneration
- Crony regenerates HPs now after he got unconscious
- Socket Items now give a bonus when attached to a shield
- The XP malus for using stims is working now
- The perk Good Eater now doubles the effect of food, it was tripled before
- Fixed an issue where the loot screen was hidden by the body of the player
- When falling the player uses his fall animation correctly
- Dead ambient creatures don't have collision anymore
- Female body parts now behave correctly during dialogs
- Fixed a bug in which weapon modes were not shown in the HUD
- Adjusted some loot
- Option for deactivating the evade roll on double-click is saved now
- Fixed some icon issues
- Pure mana also regenerates mana now (only for Berserkers)
- Fixed some issues with ranged weapons not having an ammo count when drawn
- All potion can be used in quick slots
- Sulfur will now be shown in the inventory screen of the player
- Fixed some recipes
- The perk "One with the Weapon Ability" now has a cooldown
- Some weapons didn't deal damage with the 4th hit, they'll do now so
- Creatures stop chasing the player now if the player is far away
- Fixed some issue with exploiting Elexit by trading.
- Improved combat behavior for some monsters
- Flamethrower single shots now have a cooldown and a decreased radius
- Many mesh and texture reworks and improvements
- LOD range of red rusty metal plates has been corrected. The plates are now using the correct LOD when close by and are no longer flat
- The collision mesh of one of the rusted electrical towers is more accurate. The player no longer falls through some of the horizontal beams

interesting. I finally started playing this last night. good to see that I am coming in on a patch.

Could never get this damn game working. After the Prianah logo at the beginning it crashes and won't go any further. I left the game running while I was researching how to fix it and a few hours went by then steam wouldn't refund the game. I'm so pissed I spent $50 on something that doesn't even work. I've literally trtied everything. I don't have any other issues with any other game I play.

Could never get this damn game working. After the Prianah logo at the beginning it crashes and won't go any further. I left the game running while I was researching how to fix it and a few hours went by then steam wouldn't refund the game. I'm so pissed I spent $50 on something that doesn't even work. I've literally trtied everything. I don't have any other issues with any other game I play.

I've seen this problem out and about. I trust you've done "verify files" and update GPU driver and all that? Disable the third party stuff and the overlays. That sort of thing. If you haven't already.

Anyone still playing?

I'm in chapter 3 having the moved the main quest forward.

Question: Certain side quests like, for example, " lost guns and dead men" for the Berserkers... it's either bugged or I should have done it in chapter 1 or chapter 2 because the dead bodies and weapons that I'm supposed to pick up in what was the small camp are gone.

Is that true for some of these quests, that you better do them earlier?

Back