Elex from Piranha Bytes 10-17-17

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
I have been wondering what these developers were up to. Piranha Bytes is responsible for the Gothic and Risen games for those of you who may not know.

I had never heard of it until I saw a GOG email mentioning it with a preorder option already up. Steam is also going to carry it.

http://elexgame.com/

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for their games even though they have tended to be varied mixed bags. I wish them the best and I hope this game is going to be good.

Last edited:
I'll be there. It looks like gothic/risen with guns, which will be cool

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
It looks... pretty bad.
I like open world games so as long as it's servicable, I'll probably play it. :)

Yeah, I'm not bowled over but if it's competent and brings the goods I'll probably go for it. I have a soft spot for Piranha Bytes.

sci-fi fantasy open world RPG sounds good on paper but in that trailer the world looks a little too empty and devoid of life...if they can create an interesting world then this has potential

like this
In this case it looks like they have 3 "worlds" colliding

In gothic 3 it was somewhat the same, with desert, farmland and icy mountains.
The world design was really cool for that time in that for as vast as it was there were never any loading transitions.

like this
This looks really rough on the edges. Like, visually the art style is pretty solid, and the premise is awesome for the most part. The animations and controls look like they are hideously clunky. I dunno...

Most Piranha Bytes games are, mate.

Yea, I mean I remember that being the fact back in the G1-3 days, but I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. The bar has been set pretty high for open world RPG games since the last time these guys have done anything...

huh? Risen3 came out in 2014. Combat has been a bit clunky at times but overall the games have a lot of great qualities. They are fairly open world, you can do whatever the hell you want without breaking quests or losing experience and you can kill anything you can figure out how to kill. The quest thing is one of the best things. If you already did something, it doesn't disappear, but you get credit for it anyway.

huh? Risen3 came out in 2014. Combat has been a bit clunky at times but overall the games have a lot of great qualities. They are fairly open world, you can do whatever the hell you want without breaking quests or losing experience and you can kill anything you can figure out how to kill. The quest thing is one of the best things. If you already did something, it doesn't disappear, but you get credit for it anyway.
I'm not saying they're bad games, but most if not all of Piranha Bytes games have clunky combat.

I'm not saying they're bad games, but most if not all of Piranha Bytes games have clunky combat.

That is definitely fair. I mean, it doesn't make the game bad for me, necessarily... but the bar has been set so extremely high in this market. Piranha Bytes are going to have to have some serious storytelling/exploration magic to compete with something like TW3. Arguably, TW3 still has some clunky combat (I thought it was just fine, IMO), but literally everything else about the game had redeeming qualities to put it into a realm of one of the best games I have ever played.

Ok this game looks like:

Fallout 3
Skyrim
Borderlands 1
The Surge: If you remember that game due to the mecha in this game
Mass Effect pick a number
Planetside 2 due to the buildings

comes out next week if you are intrested in all those game combined into one. I have to say something when you put alot of effort into a game like this one the only way people are going to take it seriously if you have a good pitch and something to build on from another game from the past I never heard of this series before which is a major problem.

Last edited:
Only way I even heard of this game was by seeing keys for sale on cdkeys.com.

Could be good? I dunno.

Ok this game looks like:

Fallout 3
Skyrim
Borderlands 1
The Surge: If you remember that game due to the mecha in this game
Mass Effect pick a number
Planetside 2 due to the buildings

comes out next week if you are intrested in all those game combined into one. I have to say something when you put alot of effort into a game like this one the only way people are going to take it seriously if you have a good pitch and something to build on from another game from the past I never heard of this series before which is a major problem.

If Pirhana brings out nothing more than a hodge podge of those games with their own spin and relatively few bugs, I will be ecstatic.

Really hoping Pirhana Bytes pulls it off. Instead of a buggy 6/10 or so game... I hope this gets to around 7.5 or so with less bugs. 8 would be incredible.

Last edited:
It is a new IP from PB, maker of the gothic and risen series. Both are very solid RPGs and loved by a lot of people. They have factions but this appears to have more world changing consequences so should be interesting.

This is a console game as well could be the reason why the graphics are not turned up.

I picked mine up from steam. Some games I get from cdkeys, like the $60+ games, or other unknown games that are "risky".
I felt good about this one and I like the company and the price was reasonable

I picked mine up from steam. Some games I get from cdkeys, like the $60+ games, or other unknown games that are "risky".
I felt good about this one and I like the company and the price was reasonable
I get all of my keys from cd-keys, lmao.

I think the combat in the game looks bad in a FO3 kind of way. I probably won't get this game though I was always somewhat interested in it because it is Sci-Fantasy which seems interesting.

piranha bytes is a smaller developer. they had lost the rights to gothic which is why they came out with risen series. the strengths of the game (and all their games) will be in the RPG qualities. In the world typically you have all the monsters available, most of the world accessible as long as you can survive in higher level areas. Monsters do not respawn except perhaps fodder if there are acts. So this will not be cutting edge technologies, mocaps and so forth. But I still believe it will be good.

piranha bytes is a smaller developer. they had lost the rights to gothic which is why they came out with risen series. the strengths of the game (and all their games) will be in the RPG qualities. In the world typically you have all the monsters available, most of the world accessible as long as you can survive in higher level areas. Monsters do not respawn except perhaps fodder if there are acts. So this will not be cutting edge technologies, mocaps and so forth. But I still believe it will be good.

Lumps and all I somehow I always end up enjoying their games. Combat looks pretty clunky here but for $33 out of my pocket thanks to GMG discounts... I bet it will be alright.

I know it looks clunky, but the fact you can actually kill anyone; priceless. I think I will have to plunk down some money at CD Keys...

oh yeah, that is another awesome aspect. they don't make you play the game some particular way. also cool if they are like gothic, you can kill everything and still get the mission rewards involving those enemies. when you talk to the quest givers you get even more. in other words it does not punish you. and inventory? yeah, unlimited. :)

For some reason I couldn't log into my old CD Keys account, but hey made a new one and paid $33. Even if its horrible, I'm willing to at least get some entertainment out of killing anyone and everything.

Either this is going to be a sleeper hit or not.....I played Gothic 2 just found it too open ended....

Anthem is the game to wait for if you ask me that game looks like everything pushing the genre.

^^ This is vintage Pirhana Bytes. I just don't get why, after all this time, they can't fully ascend from this sort of thing. I understand they aren't AAA and all but c'mon.

For $33 I'll keep my preorder. I have a soft spot in my heart for these guys. If the game is a real wreck it will go to my back burner until some dry patch and by that time I'm sure this game will have seen at least one patch.

Back