Elephant in the room

Oldbugga

n00b
Not sure where to post this but here seems the most appropriate.

AMD recently released its middling models o Threadripper as well as preempting an announcement of future developments.

Across the tech reporting industry these got wide and sometimes in-depth coverage with at least mentioning the release/announcement and in most cases accompanied by a full review.

However, and it totally perplexes me, PCWorld website has not even a mention of either, zilch, nada, diddly-squat. This seems really odd. Instead there is some cock-a-mame article about Intel future storage and Optane on the day that Threadripper was released. And there is no way to voice concerns on that website as there are no public forums etc.

There is certainly a HUGE elephant in the room when you look at that site and ponder why they went against the overwhelming wave of reporting those issues by the normal tech sites and not even mentioning either.

Please tell me that there is nothing "sinister" happening here. I value tech sites as a valuable and mostly INDEPENDENT source of information on new tech.

What's the deal here?
Guess I don't understand your point.

Not sure where to post this but here seems the most appropriate.

AMD recently released its middling models o Threadripper as well as preempting an announcement of future developments.

Across the tech reporting industry these got wide and sometimes in-depth coverage with at least mentioning the release/announcement and in most cases accompanied by a full review.

However, and it totally perplexes me, PCWorld website has not even a mention of either, zilch, nada, diddly-squat. This seems really odd. Instead there is some cock-a-mame article about Intel future storage and Optane on the day that Threadripper was released. And there is no way to voice concerns on that website as there are no public forums etc.

There is certainly a HUGE elephant in the room when you look at that site and ponder why they went against the overwhelming wave of reporting those issues by the normal tech sites and not even mentioning either.

Please tell me that there is nothing "sinister" happening here. I value tech sites as a valuable and mostly INDEPENDENT source of information on new tech.
Pc world/gamer whatever has been mostly trash since p4 days I this regard and nothing changed there. Intel+nvidia good, amd+ Orange man bad

I listen to their podcast every week and they are always raving about AMD's price/performance.

If anything they are definitely on the AMD bandwagon because of its value. That said, they will always rightfully mention if price is no object then Intel is still king.

So I see no issue here. My guess would be they have been quite busy with the barrage 2990WX, GTX 2080ti, 2080, 2070, 9900k, 9700k coverage as of late.

The thing about PC World is that they are very much a 9-5 workplace as far as I understand it. This contrasts to peope like Steve from Gamer's Nexus who seem to work 14 hours a day and never sleep.

Also, they have built 2 Ryzen systems in the past 2 weeks. 1 to show off a new cooler master case.
Pc world/gamer whatever has been mostly trash since p4 days I this regard and nothing changed there. Intel+nvidia good, amd+ Orange man bad
PC World is not the same as PC Gamer. Different companies. I don't care for PC Gamer either.

Last edited:
I would kinda echo Pieter3dnow here in that you seem to have a little too high an expectation level for sites like PCWorld. Sites like that are the tail that gets wagged by their advertising dogs. There are a lot of sites like that. Thankfully there are others that balance them out. I for instance would not make a forum acct on a site that I felt was full of shit.

It is up to you as a reader to figure out the levels of BS filters you need to apply when you see articles on them. I know that is sometimes easier said than done but the requirement is there nonetheless.

I am no novice nor am I naive, particularly in computing. My concern is that as a larger site they have a responsibility to their readers (not that I am an avid one or that I necessarily accept their views) to provide industry information so that the users can form their own views (as we all eventually do). As an ex-systems auditor/analyst, I have come across issues where what is not said is as important as what is said...BUT you need to understand why. I am not slashing the wrists over this, I am just perplexed. Anyway just deleted PCW from the bookmarks....even an unaddressed perception is enough to me to cast some doubt. Thanks for the replies....maybe as I get older I am getting a bit thin skinned about these kind of issues.

Last edited:
Have not looked at PC World in quite some time but do they focus on the HEDT market much at all? If not, you kind of have an answer. If so, that would be a very odd omission, as AMD's Threadripper is pretty much redefining the market in that space.

I stopped paying attention to PC World about a decade or two ago when they were struggling to make the switch from print to web and fired all of their good writers/reviewers and then started having their Mac World writers provide most of the content for PCW. From what I've seen they've improved from those days but still cater more to the business/non-enthusiast demographic.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I mean, the threadrippers weren't really big news tbh. Everyone knew they were going to be available on the 29th but the big guns were already released and tested so pretty much everyone knew what we were getting.

I don't think [H] had more than a news blurb on them as they were just models filling in the range and the 2950x and even more so the 2990wx were the news worthy parts.

I am no novice nor am I naive, particularly in computing. My concern is that as a larger site they have a responsibility to their readers (not that I am an avid one or that I necessarily accept their views) to provide industry information so that the users can form their own views (as we all eventually do). As an ex-systems auditor/analyst, I have come across issues where what is not said is as important as what is said...BUT you need to understand why. I am not slashing the wrists over this, I am just perplexed. Anyway just deleted PCW from the bookmarks....even an unaddressed perception is enough to me to cast some doubt. Thanks for the replies....maybe as I get older I am getting a bit thin skinned about these kind of issues.

So your issue is that they didn't post the exact same news article talking something that most other "tech sites" did? Maybe they felt it wasn't worth reporting on. Or maybe AMD didn't send them review samples and they were butt hurt over it. Or maybe their intern forgot to hit the upload button on a copy-pasted "news" article about additional SKUs in the existing Threadripper 2 product line being released.

Point being, WHO CARES? They don't have a "responsibility" to post identical content to everyone else on the internet.

Why are people so sensitive?
If the matter of "relevance" of the release of the TR2 is argued then why would a lower order article on Optane take centre stage?
My point wasn't that they didn't post a full review....copy and pasted or whatever. My point was that there was no mention AT ALL...even in passing of the release.
My view is just as valid as any other here, but if you chose to "admonish" my concerns, please have the decency to accurately reflect them rather than adapt them as you see fit.
My underlying point was that without knowing why they chose not to include widely reported news only leads to speculation on influence, ethics and probity.....not sure that's what they want.

Couldn't you say the same about the News Networks and politics? There's usually a hidden agenda... whether it be bias-ness, or money, or whatever. We all know how that's being played out!

Back