Electronic Arts tells Sony the PSP is sucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeviathanZERO

Supreme [H]ardness
I know it's suppose to be a dig at Sony, but EA is also saying their PSP games aren't fun.

BladeVenom said:
I know it's suppose to be a dig at Sony, but EA is also saying their PSP games aren't fun.
haha, lol so true. plus yea, Sony is tryin too hard to be all cool and whatnot and forgetting the fact that people want video games, not accessories

Heh, EA is the only company that's porting watered-down console games to the PSP and they've got the nerves to say that.

Who cares about EA's games?

What we need is for Sony to open up the dang machine and make it like the GP32.

I still am running 1.5 so that I can play all the homebrew. Has Xbox 360 Live not taught companies that people are willing to pay for small downloadable games by smaller developers? The PSP is set up prime for this with the wifi and the memory card.

ea is the cancer of gaming... enough said... they release shitty port on the psp and expect people to buy them? hey EA ... if we own a psp , we probably own a console too...

I'm sorry but EA can't say anything about the PSP sucking. Their last Madden game, on the PSP, had some pretty bad bugs and issues. One bug that could erase your data! :eek: Now I highly doubt it was the PSP's fault for that kind of crap. EA shouldn't be pointing fingers at Sony for the PSP not being fun, when one of their own games was crap. It's not that the PSP sucks... EA's coding sucks, and they should address that first and foremost.

I think there are a lot of PSP exclusives that look fun, as are there a lot of DS exclusives that look fun. My main wish is more RPG style releases on the PSP (which is funny that there aren't more, as the PS2 is the undisputed king of RPG releases).

NulloModo said:
...as the PS2 is the undisputed king of RPG releases.

Uhhhhhhhh....... :confused:

Are you forgetting about the NES, SNES, GB/A, NDS, and PC?

CodeX said:
Uhhhhhhhh....... :confused:

Are you forgetting about the NES, SNES, GB/A, NDS, and PC?

Well, talking exclusives only, I can't recally any must have PC RPG exclusives (Vampire The Masquerade games possibly), NES and SNES had some good ones (FFVI for the SNES for example) but the best got remade for PS1 (and thus PS2 as well) releases. As far as I know there has yet to be a 'must-have' handheld release of an RPG to date, sure there are some that are good, but no AAA titles.

I am not saying other systems haven't done well with them in the past, but for sheer variety and the highest number of awesome titles, PS2 (and the included PS1 library) is the way to go.

The only one that hasn't gotten a port (and really deserves it) that I can think of is Chrono Trigger.

Jerome36 said:
I'm sorry but EA can't say anything about the PSP sucking. Their last Madden game, on the PSP, had some pretty bad bugs and issues. One bug that could erase your data! :eek: Now I highly doubt it was the PSP's fault for that kind of crap. EA shouldn't be pointing fingers at Sony for the PSP not being fun, when one of their own games was crap. It's not that the PSP sucks... EA's coding sucks, and they should address that first and foremost.
Didn't one of EA's games keep the same roster from last year's version (I'm thinking of Madden/NCAA or FIFA, I can't remember)?

I have noticed that the PSP's library has started to pickup (with Mortal Kombat, Power Stone, and Loco Roco comming out). It's really EA's fault for not coming out with any decent games. The DS may be doing better, but David said it himself: people come for the games.

eh... i dont really play EA games... but its odd that EA is commenting on how the psp is not fun, considering that EA creates games...

the system is one thing, if the system is absolute crap, graphics are terrible, software is buggy, hardware doesnt work, ok... the system is crap

but since EA produces games for the psp, and is also saying that the games are just not fun on the psp... it almost sounds like they are bashing themselves...

normally one would think that success of consoles are heavily based on the games that comes out for it... shouldnt it be EA's job to make the psp fun?

maybe EA is just bitching because THEIR games on the psp arent doing as well as they want them to...

EA had basically said the Dreamcast would fail, because they weren't going to support it. So shouldn't they be the reason for the PSP's success or failure, since they're apparently THE company to determine whether a system succeeds or not? EA, I guess if the PSP isn't a fun system it's because you guys aren't trying enough! :)

BladeVenom said:

LOL And this is so true. The loading times of their games suck.

NulloModo said:
As far as I know there has yet to be a 'must-have' handheld release of an RPG to date, sure there are some that are good, but no AAA titles.

You need to see the gameplay video for Final Fantasy III that I saw today. TOTALLY changed my opinion on that. 100% must have. Actually there are 3 RPGs coming out for DS that are MUST HAVE. (I.E. I going broke before christmas....)

Final Fantasy III
Children of Mana
Magical Starsign (they should of never changed the name, but you GOT to see this game. HOLY CRAP.)

the psp is the small version of the PS3. overpriced, overhyped and another case of sony forcing a format on the public. expect more of this in the months ahead.

the psp was good at everything...everything but playing games. cool music player, cool for watching movies...on memory stick...cool for browsing the web if you didnt have a laptop. but the games suck on it. i speak of it in the past tense because it is dead...dead to me.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. PSP has way more than enough good games to keep a casual gamer happy. Maybe if you actually back up your statement of PSP's games sucking then people can take you seriously. You sound just like 90% of PSP haters, saying PSP's is lacking games when you probably don't even own one.

you're right. i dont own one. any more.

i had one since the launch until last month when i had enough with the lack of quality & original games. gamestop gave me enough credit to get a DSLite and two games for my PSP & Games I had. I don't regret making the move what so ever.

jester1176 said:
you're right. i dont own one. any more.

i had one since the launch until last month when i had enough with the lack of quality & original games. gamestop gave me enough credit to get a DSLite and two games for my PSP & Games I had. I don't regret making the move what so ever.

Ugh. This thread is heading for lock if you head down this road...we went through this a few weeks ago, had like 10 pages of ds/psp game debate, and the ds !!!!!!s didnt respond after we aptly pointed out that psp has more > 80% games on gamerankings than the ds does.

Good, you're happy with the ds, and thats all that matters, but your thread crap of "the games suck on it" is just misinformed.

Back on topic though- nobody cares about ea's opinions anymore, considering they clearly dont care about their consumers. But hey, why not jump on the "sony sucks" bandwagon as an excuse for why your games are rushed garbage. Tekken has better graphics than anything ea has released with load times comparable to the ds, when you factor in the ds having to boot up every time you play it.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Tekken has better graphics than anything ea has released with load times comparable to the ds, when you factor in the ds having to boot up every time you play it.
Not to fuel any fires or anything but... ummm.... does the psp not have to boot up each time? :confused:

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Ugh. This thread is heading for lock if you head down this road...we went through this a few weeks ago, had like 10 pages of ds/psp game debate, and the ds !!!!!!s didnt respond after we aptly pointed out that psp has more > 80% games on gamerankings than the ds does.

Actually that proves nothing. PSP games arent as good because they are console games made for a handheld. (Everyone sees it as mini PS2, not so much a handheld.) DS games are handheld games made for a handheld.
BTW there isnt ONE game on PSP above 90%. DS has 3. (According to that site.)

So anyway, back on topic. EA is bitching because their sales are not meeting expected sales numbers and they want to blame Sonys lack of focus on the hardware. Sonys pulling a '90's SEGA', releasing silly shit (GPS, Camera, ect.) that has nothing to do with a handheld GAMING device. This prolly would of never happened if the PSP was marketed as a gaming device in the first place, but EA seems to think this confusion is responsible for low sales.

I think its just bad games. EA doesnt have the greatest track record. Apperently they make money though... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152822 (July NPD numbers, EA making shitload o money.)

Darakian said:
Not to fuel any fires or anything but... ummm.... does the psp not have to boot up each time? :confused:

No, if you flick the power switch it goes into what is essentially a hibernate mode, and when you power back on it resumes from right where you were. Its a very good design decision that a lot of non-psp users might not know about.

Btw very good question and thanks for asking in a diplomatic manner :)

LeviathanZERO said:
Actually that proves nothing. PSP games arent as good because they are console games made for a handheld. (Everyone sees it as mini PS2, not so much a handheld.) DS games are handheld games made for a handheld.

So anyway, back on topic. EA is bitching because their sales are not meeting expected sales numbers and they want to blame Sonys lack of focus on the hardware. Sonys pulling a '90's SEGA', releasing silly shit (GPS, Camera, ect.) that has nothing to do with a handheld GAMING device. This prolly would of never happened if the PSP was marketed as a gaming device in the first place, but EA seems to think this confusion is responsible for low sales.

I think its just bad games. EA doesnt have the greatest track record. Apperently they make money though... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152822 (July NPD numbers, EA making shitload o money.)

Well if you say that > 80% proves nothing, then your arbitrary cutoff of > 90% means nothing also.

I agree that sony should have marketed it as more of a gaming device- but then again, this shouldnt matter with quality games. In fact, maybe this marketing is the reason a lot of people who have never picked one up dont realize the games are in fact very good. Ea is notorious for quick annual releases, and for the sole reason that they release madden and such on psp a lot of people call it a port, when in fact its pretty much a simultaneous release with the xbox, ps2, and 360. If a game is released on 3-4 platforms at once, its not a port, its just multiplatform.

That having been said, i completely agree that ea is making excuses and passing the buck on this one. They charge top dollar for releases that show little improvement year after year, on every platform, not just psp.

The question here is what sony's responsibility actually is- ea seems to think its to sell their games. I mean cmon, sony makes the hardware and markets the hardware- if your games and marketing are good enough, people will buy them.

LeviathanZERO said:

That's a bunch of bullshit and you know it. People consider PSP to be a mini PS2 because the graphics are actually comparable to current home console gen's. Most of DS games are based on their console counterparts with a few touch screen gimmick. BTW, I'm not bashing these games because they are good games but saying that PSP games suck because they rival their home console counterpart is just absurd.

Mario Kart - Don't really have to go into this, same game it's been since the SNES days with some new courses. Doesn't use touchscreen and use the second screen as a map.
Advance Wars - Slight use of touchscreen but base on Super Famicom Wars on the SNES.
Castlevania - Slight use of touchscreen but basically same gameplay as every other Castevania games on GBA, PS1, SNES...whatever.
New Super Mario Bros. - A new 2D Mario game, same fun gameplay. I don't see how it's different from all the other 2D Marios, other than the new levels obviously.
Meteos - A cool puzzle game, but PSP has Lumines, so really nothing much to say.
Kirby - I'll give you this, this game is actually made to take advantage of DS's hardware.
Animal Crossing - Same gameplay on Gamecube version.
Super Mario 64 DS - Not much to say here.
Tetris DS - Some use of touch screen, but tetris is tetris.
Mario & Luigi - Same gameplay as on GBA, which is based on Paper Mario on N64.

I can keep going, but you get the point. So if GBA was released the same gen asSNES, guess what, people would consider it a mini-SNES, does that make any of the games on it suck in anyway?

aznpxdd said:
I can keep going, but you get the point. So if GBA was released the same gen asSNES, guess what, people would consider it a mini-SNES, does that make any of the games on it suck in anyway?

No it doesnt make the games suck, it makes them redundant, which is the PSP's problem. So whats the point in wasting money on another piece of hardware that plays the same game I got at home? Sorry, dont see your point. Apparently you dont have WiFi either... (MK the same game as the SNES version? please dude.)

Thanks for ignoring the rest of my post, but anyways you are assuming that everyone who owns PSP also owns a PS2 or XBox, which I don't really know where you got that from. What about the people that are only into PC gaming that decides to pick up a PSP to play some console games on the go? Gamers who bought only a Gamecube also missed out on some games on those systems that are also on the PSP. I'm just tired of all these people saying that how many innovative games DS has when infact it has probably less than 10 games that actually take full advantage of its hardware.

You also seem to miss the point that PSP is..uh..a portable? Can you bring a PS2 and play it in class, on the bus, on the airplane and don't forget, on the toilet? Can you fit a current gen console, movie/video viewer, picture viewer, music player all in your POCKET? I mean come on, you have to understand that PSP is a portable, just because YOU see it as a home console doesn't make it true. Why get an IPod when you can listen to all the same music at your home, that is so redundant!

BTW, and how is Mario Kart's gameplay (other than wifi) different from any other versions on the SNES, N64 and the Gamecube (GC one is slightly different, but basically same gameplay).

aznpxdd said:
Thanks for ignoring the rest of my post, but anyways you are assuming that everyone who owns PSP also owns a PS2 or XBox, which I don't really know where you got that from. What about the people that are only into PC gaming that decides to pick up a PSP to play some console games on the go? Gamers who bought only a Gamecube also missed out on some games on those systems that are also on the PSP. I'm just tired of all these people saying that how many innovative games DS has when infact it has probably less than 10 games that actually take full advantage of its hardware.

You also seem to miss the point that PSP is..uh..a portable? Can you bring a PS2 and play it in class, on the bus, on the airplane and don't forget, on the toilet? Can you fit a current gen console, movie/video viewer, picture viewer, music player all in your POCKET? I mean come on, you have to understand that PSP is a portable, just because YOU see it as a home console doesn't make it true. Why get an IPod when you can listen to all the same music at your home, that is so redundant!

BTW, and how is Mario Kart's gameplay (other than wifi) different from any other versions on the SNES, N64 and the Gamecube (GC one is slightly different, but basically same gameplay).

I didnt ignore your entire post, I just didnt feel like quoting the whole thing, when I could summerize my response in one sentence.

Duh the PSP is a portable, so is the DS. What are you getting at? Thats not an arguement. Redundancy doesnt come from the same games, it comes from wasting money (another piece of hardware) for the same games. I.E. GTA:LCS is on both PSP and PS2. PS2 version is 29.99, PSP is 49.99... Yea you can play it while you shit, but at double the expense? On a portable that isnt as good as the real hardware? (-2 trigger buttons, -1 analoge stick, dependant on a battery, ect...) Want me to paint you a pretty picture?

The point is, it doesnt matter how you or I see the portable. The mini PS2 image comes from the design. (Its a PS2 controller(minus the buttons, analoge, blah..) with a screen.) What exactly are you arguing, again?

LeviathanZERO said:
No it doesnt make the games suck, it makes them redundant, which is the PSP's problem. So whats the point in wasting money on another piece of hardware that plays the same game I got at home? Sorry, dont see your point. Apparently you dont have WiFi either... (MK the same game as the SNES version? please dude.)

I'm aruging what you said there. Again you ignored the first half of my post when I said you assume that everyone who owns a PSP also owns a PS2, which isn't true. The problem is you're treating PSP as a home console, which it isn't. It's multi-purpose/media portable machine that can play good games (something that you can't seem to agree with). GTA:LCS is the ONLY game that's on both the PSP and PS2 and the PS2 version came out almost a year after it's initial release on the PSP.

BTW, I'm not even bashing the DS is anyway like you are to the PSP. I can admit they are both great portables that are aimed that different audiences. I've seen you hating on PSP in other threads too, so if you're already set on not giving PSP the credit it deserves, then we can stop this arguement.

aznpxdd said:
I'm aruging what you said there. Again you ignored the first half of my post when I said you assume that everyone who owns a PSP also owns a PS2, which isn't true. The problem is you're treating PSP as a home console, which it isn't. It's multi-purpose/media portable machine that can play good games (something that you can't seem to agree with). GTA:LCS is the ONLY game that's on both the PSP and PS2 and the PS2 version came out almost a year after it's initial release on the PSP.

Calm down son. Quit trying to put words in my mouth. Never did I say PSP games suck. And the assumption that every PSP owner owns a PS2? What does that have to do with what we are talking about? A PSP is a mini PS2. Sony designed it that way. I dont care if you own 25 consoles, or PC game all your life. Anyone seeing a PSP that has never seen one knows exactly what it is. Why is that? Cause noone buying a PSP hasn't seen a PS2 before? Its a 7 year old console for crying out loud. Of course they will expect it to emulate it. It looks exactly like one.

EDIT: DS? this isnt about DS, stop trying to argue nothing. Yes and Im bashing PSP, gg !!!!!!. you missed the whole point.

LeviathanZERO said:
And the assumption that every PSP owner owns a PS2? What does that have to do with what we are talking about?

Because if a PSP owner doesn't own a PS2 then the games on it aren't redundant?
:rolleyes:
Does it really take that much brain power to understand what I said?

Edit: BTW, you're the one that brought up DS, not me.

2 things

1) EA's Recent portable games were of poor quality. Releases were buggy as heck. I'm bitter of Rogue Agent for DS. They need to take portable gaming more seriously if they want to make anything profitable.

2) PSP just has high price of entry. 200 for the Core pack (if that doesn't include that 32MB Mem stick, tack on some more for a 1 or 2 Gig) and games for 40-50. If they drop it around $150 (and bundle a Memstick big enough for saved games) then they will be more competitive, especially with Greatest Hits priced at $20.

The thing is, people are always on about PSP vs. DS, but does it really matter to Sony or Nintendo?

Both of them have made it pretty clear that neither was designed to compete with the other, so I doubt Sony cares that the DS is outselling it, nor do I think Nintendo would give a rat's behind if the PSP were to suddenly start outselling the DS.

They both have good games, and it just depends on what each gamer wants.

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
The thing is, people are always on about PSP vs. DS, but does it really matter to Sony or Nintendo?

Both have them made it pretty clear that neither was designed to compete with the other, so I doubt Sony cares that the DS is outselling it, nor do I think Nintendo would give a rat's behind if the PSP were to suddenly start outselling the DS.

They both have good games, and it just depends on what each gamer wants.

Exactly, it's a shame that some people can't see it. It's the same deal with PS3/360 and Wii, sure they're in the same market, but they are targeting compelte different audiences.

aznpxdd said:
Exactly, it's a shame that some people can't see it. It's the same deal with PS3/360 and Wii, sure they're in the same market, but they are targeting compelte different audiences.

Right.

I plan on getting a PS3 and Wii, but the 360 just doesn't interest me. That doesn't mean that I'm going to go around mocking peoples' decision to get one. People should buy the console that has the games that they want, bottom line.

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
Right.
I plan on getting a PS3 and Wii, but the 360 just doesn't interest me. That doesn't mean that I'm going to go around mocking peoples' decision to get one. People should buy the console that has the games that they want, bottom line.

Wow, thank you for finally presenting a mature perspective. Ive recently graduated from college and started my career, and am lucky enough to have more money than a reasonable person could spend on a monthly basis, and I just dont understand why people who consider themselves "gamers" cant justifty spending a couple hundred bucks here and there to fulfill their hobby. Pc gamers certainly dont have the same problems. If the games are good, we'll be there, but dont expect us to be haphazardly throwing hundreds and hundreds of dollars around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back