Electronic Arts is Plugging Away and Hauling in the Cash

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Business Wire has the Electronic Arts Reports Q2 FY18 Financial Results posted on its site. EA is seeing physical media go by the wayside, much the same as every other game publisher has. Its Ultimate Team mode, which is sort of a Fantasy League that you can actually play picked up big ground, and EA states that its Battlefield 1 player base grew to more than 23.5 million worldwide. A couple of things truly caught my attention however. First is that FIFA Mobile as over 113 million users. And most notably, The Sims 4 on PC user base increased more than 40% year over year. I did not even know The Sims was still even a thing. It launched over 3 years ago.

Digital net bookings for the trailing twelve months was $3.240 billion, up 26% year-over-year, and now represents 63% of total net bookings for the same period.

Unlike a lot of people who can't stand EA, I really don't mind them at all. I would expand on this thought, but it's DLC and will cost you $5. Of course if you pay me $30, you can get the season pass and get up to 5 thoughts on this topic. If you really want to gamble, you can just buy my loot boxes for 99 cents. There's a chance you'll get pieces of a thought puzzle, which when you've collected enough you can build an entire thought.

Unlike a lot of people who can't stand EA, I really don't mind them at all. I would expand on this thought, but it's DLC and will cost you $5. Of course if you pay me $30, you can get the season pass and get up to 5 thoughts on this topic. If you really want to gamble, you can just buy my loot boxes for 99 cents. There's a chance you'll get pieces of a thought puzzle, which when you've collected enough you can build an entire thought.
I think that is the sentiment exactly, but also why EA is making so much money. It is frustrating, but if you want to play the game, you determine if the money is worth the entertainment value. I got Sims 3 a few years ago through Humble Bundle, and still enjoy playing it. I don't plan on getting Sims 4, as I understand the base game is very limiting, and to do anything fun you have to spend a bunch of money on the expansion packs. I also understand some people take their Sims very seriously, and think nothing of investing hundreds if not thousands of dollars for their little computer creations!

While completely overworking their programmers and screwing over their customers. The produce buggy games because their programmers are overworked, without paying overtime, and then don't patch squat, so the games aren't usable for many of their customers.

I swore off buying anything from EA years ago. They haven't changed a bit, either.

While completely overworking their programmers and screwing over their customers. The produce buggy games because their programmers are overworked, without paying overtime, and then don't patch squat, so the games aren't usable for many of their customers.

I swore off buying anything from EA years ago. They haven't changed a bit, either.

Why would they change? What they are doing is working great for them.

Companies follow the money. It's a story as old as capitalism.

Why would they change? What they are doing is working great for them.

Companies follow the money. It's a story as old as capitalism.
That's why I spread the news on that, to get people to hit them in the wallet for their offenses against us. Too many people keep buying their crap.

That's why I spread the news on that, to get people to hit them in the wallet for their offenses against us. Too many people keep buying their crap.

Haha. Let me guess, you also vote in elections and believe your vote counts.

I loved EA in the 80's with 8bit stuff. Now, well I'm kind of 'meh'. I have origin access and think in of itself, it's a good deal. That's also where I think the true spike in these numbers is coming from.

I would'nt have gotten BF1 otherwise and I could just as easily gotten SIMS. Presently I'm plugging away on DA III and loving it on both rigs.

FIFA Ultimate Team was a godsend for EA. Its allowed them to get away with a completely craptacular game because of how addicted casuals are to the mode. The complaints are fast and furious, but like a junkie that'll think about going into rehab, nothing much changes. People will complain and keep playing the games in the same breath.

I loved EA in the 80's with 8bit stuff. Now, well I'm kind of 'meh'. I have origin access and think in of itself, it's a good deal. That's also where I think the true spike in these numbers is coming from.

I remember them in the 80's, lots of great games and that weird EOA logo I never understood.

I never got too much into the EA hate over the years but after they fucked up my beloved Mass Effect ending, then Mass Effect Andromeda, killed off Bioware and now killed off Visceral studios killing off any chance I'd get a Dead Space 4, I kinda jumped on the bandwagon. The thing that sucks about them still making money hand over fist like this is that they don't think they're doing anything wrong and nothing will ever change with them. I dunno, guess if I was making billions of dollars a year I wouldn't think I was doing anything wrong either.

Not really surprised with the Sims. The game keeps coming out with expansions.

picard_clapping.gif

Wonder how Lucasfilm feels about this. EA making money hand over fist, yet aside from 1 mobile, the only games they have put out since acquiring the license about 5 years back is a half- baked Battlefront I and the upcoming Battlefront II, with the Visceral game postponed and the studio disbanded, and no other Star Wars game close to release.

Wonder if they are regretting that exclusivity deal yet. Gotta be thinking "they can make money for themselves, but not for us?"

The last sims I played was the original 17 yrs ago. So yea that surprises me as well.

Back