Electronic Arts announcing that they are shutting down the servers for...

BF 1942 and BattleField 2 being shut down ? WTF :mad:

My Brother and I still play classic BF1942 every now and then.

Is this for online play, or will the games not work anymore because DRM can't phone home?

bmKsRWt.jpg

Don't the Battlefield and Crysis games (in this list) use GameSpy?

And isn't Nintendo shutting down its old online network, hence all the DS games?

If running the servers and maintain the game becomes a cost to the company rather than driving new sales that cover the cost plus profit then ANY company would shut it down.

It amazes me how people on here think these companies should cater to their every whim.

You have LONG gotten your $60 (or whatever) worth from these titles.

It's only a problem because EA doesn't seem to like people hosting their own servers.

EA Defence Force....roll out!

A business isn't going to keep a continuing expense that has no chance of adding any sort of revenue. They SHOULD allow private servers though, or dedicated ones you can pay for.

If running the servers and maintain the game becomes a cost to the company rather than driving new sales that cover the cost plus profit then ANY company would shut it down.

It amazes me how people on here think these companies should cater to their every whim.

You have LONG gotten your $60 (or whatever) worth from these titles.
I can't tell if you're just trolling or actually believe this. I don't think anyone is implying that a company should maintain support forever, but a couple things:

1. You're assuming people bought these games the day they came out. Many of these games are still on store shelves (in Europe).

2. When a company DESIGNS a game to depend on their servers, then shuts them down, that's basically the biggest "fuck you" they can give to gamers. This practice simply wouldn't be tolerated in any other industry.

I'm sorry, but your point would only be legitimate if the games weren't DESIGNED to depend on the company in order to play (which most of these could have been, easily). It's just destructive bullshit in the name of greed.

I think most, maybe all of those games are run by Gamespy. Would be a nice PR move by EA to do something about that for games like BF2 or whatnot but if it's not making them money and don't really have a big player base I guess I can understand why they're not spending money on them.

And isn't Nintendo shutting down its old online network, hence all the DS games?

It was actually mentioned in the original link that many of the online service shutdowns were Gamespy related - http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-titles-hosted-on-gamespy

More detailed list - http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/12/ea-gamespy-shutdown-update/

If you had any interest in buying these games on Steam, I would do so quickly. Steam has historically pulled games from their store when the online component is no longer supported, even when it has a single player. This is what happened to Wolfenstein (2009).

EA are shafting their consumers yet again big surprise, but after what BC2 and on, no surprise at all, of course they don't offer their community to take it over, cause they have made it clear for quite awhile they really don't care much for their supporters, the folks in the company that did are long gone apparently.

Need for speed, Battlefield game etc, yeh, I don't think I will be getting another EA game unless it offers a good solo play experience, which sadly most new games coming out, do not.

Crysis/Crysis Wars was. I think Crysis 2 was as well. Which is probably why they are going down. I think it is the case for many of the titles listed. Some of the other ones probably never had a player base. Such as Bejeweled and Sneezies for the Wii.

So? What's wrong with it?

Pretty sure when it is out no one will play a the mod version of a game from 2005. :p

I can't tell if you're just trolling or actually believe this. I don't think anyone is implying that a company should maintain support forever, but a couple things:

1. You're assuming people bought these games the day they came out. Many of these games are still on store shelves (in Europe).

2. When a company DESIGNS a game to depend on their servers, then shuts them down, that's basically the biggest "fuck you" they can give to gamers. This practice simply wouldn't be tolerated in any other industry.

I'm sorry, but your point would only be legitimate if the games weren't DESIGNED to depend on the company in order to play (which most of these could have been, easily). It's just destructive bullshit in the name of greed.

Companies design software around continued support and then sunset it all the time in lots of industries. Shit, alot of industries sell you software and then charge support/licensing fees as well.

You guys probably don't even play these games anymore anyway, you just use it as an excuse to get on here and bitch. It is amazing how entiled PC gamers are.

At least the POV(the way you look through guys eyes) wasn't fubared in BF2 the way it seems to be in ALL modern shooters that the camera is set in their chest, not to mentioned the wonky stretched out view that frostbite engines has, refractor might be old and not shiny, but it worked well enough without relying on tricks to make it appear better then it truly is, and was extremely mod friendly AND has a massive community behind it, so EA shuts down support with no effort it seems to give others the option of continued support like other game makers decided to give.

the whole mechanics side of frostbite as in being shot cause you are not really around the corner the rubberbanding issues they have with ALL games based on it etc. Sorry, but BF engine old or not only really had 2 true issues with it IMHO, hitbox which can be tuned to act better and multi-threaded side.

They had a great engine, they just did not want to recode it, so instead they decided to launch a new engine which tada had the same issues as all other games they have ever made.

Less then impressed with EA that believes chopping features out, Hollywood bs effects make a better experience.

This is why I do not Purchase games Published by EA. After what they did to me and a very large community on Earth and Beyond. No EA games are allowed in my Home. Ever. That was back in the '90s, and I buy a lot of games every year. I'll stick with my EnB Emulator, EVE, and anything that is not tied to a server just to play in single mode!!

Pretty sure when it is out no one will play a the mod version of a game from 2005. :p

People still play and create Source Engine mods. Titanfall is running the Source Engine. As is CS:GO and numerous other games. Valve launched it in 2004 according to it's Wiki page.

If I were EA I'd just take a few old servers that they undoubtedly retire from time to time and host all of the old games on it for authentication purposes. Let their customers host the main servers. I don't think that's too much to ask. Or just make them open source if they can't be bothered.

It has been done before. You can still play Quake today.

This is why..

dedicated servers

problem solved

also LAN support

Some of these games have dedicated servers and LAN support.

The problem is that in order for a user to just hop on and play somebody needs to maintain a web service that compiles a list of active servers. To the average user shutting down that web service essentially kills online play.

People still play and create Source Engine mods. Titanfall is running the Source Engine.

I'm talking about PR specifically. It is a mod of an old game, not just an old engine. There is still a small player base, but when PR2 on Cryengine 3 comes out do you really think they will continue to play the version built around a decade old inadequate game/engine or the new version built from the ground up?

Well that is crappy. I still play C&C3 and Red Alert 3 online sometimes. At least they still have the LAN option.

Yep Nintendo is shutting down DS servers. They are also shutting down Wii servers are well.

I wonder when Blizzard and steam will be doing the same for their old software.

This is why the idea of centralized servers with no user-made dedicated servers is a fucking joke.

Back