Electronic Access, Close Proximity Door Locks

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not too sure if this technically belongs in this sub-forum, but I figured Id get the best response here.

The small plumbing shop is looking at getting Close Proximity electronic door access for the 3 exterior access points. Max would be 15 users with cards, perferably Key FOBs.

I'm just looking for some leads on vendors, and pricing so if anyone can help me out, it would be great.

hah, funny, my coleague that does security system was putting this in at a clients (fire district).

this is something you should stay out of unless you have alot of knowledge.

pretty much you need the access software, you need to run wires to the door, my buddy ran 2 wires, one was a 4 pair 20guage wire for power i believe, and the other was a 2 pair for sensor. You need to use either magnetic locks or door jam locks, so depending on what door you need to do some cutting.

stay away, i looked at it and could do it but not my cup of tea. i can email him for some providers he uses if you want, but i would stick to the computers =)

Contact a local security company, they should be able to do it easily.

Usually door locks tie in with security systems on buildings, not the computer network (though some have modules to work with computers).

they all tie in together, the access module is installed to the server or a machine wher eyou can make the key fobs and give them access, but generally they do tie into the security system primarily and the computer at the end.

they all tie in together, the access module is installed to the server or a machine wher eyou can make the key fobs and give them access, but generally they do tie into the security system primarily and the computer at the end.

I know the ones we were working with had everything stored in the security system and then a front end that was accessed through the serial port on the system that was connected to a computer. Made it so you could use a nice computer interface to configure it and such.

It is amazing how "old" even the newest security systems feel though (serial transfer, 90s guis, etc.)

Unfortunately, the plumbing shop is my full time job, and Im the all around, everything man.

Theyre pretty hell bent on doing it, so I'm trying to come up with numbers (parts and labor) to make them NOT do it. lol

It's not to hard to do yourself--what kind of doors are they wanting to control? Do they have panic bar hardware, mortise lock, deadbolt, etc. Then buy the appropriate electric strike plate. If you want the magnetic locks they are a bit more work--They require a REX (Request to Exit) button or REX PIR sensor. And when power is cut they typically unlock for safety...
Electric strikes are usually locked when unpowered and when powered up they unlock, you can get them either way though.

Buy an access control panel--I like surplus Northern Computers panels off eBay (N-1000-xx series). You'll need the RS232 interface, it's like CA-100 or something. You'll program the whole thing via hyperterminal or procomm
Use HID ProxPro readers, they are industry standard. Buy them used too if you want, just read the spec sheet and make sure the part# matches what you need it to do.

Research the panels you find, some control 2 doors, some do 4, all are daisy chainable to control more doors. Run shielded cat5 for your card readers, or something equivalent and a pair of wires for your electric strike plates. Whatever you do just remember to make it work even when power is cut, if there is a fire make sure people can egress without your card access getting in the way of life safety.

I did a bit of a writeup on my blog for when I put a panel in for my garage, I didn't cover electric strike plates but the general jist of it is there...

http://michael.requeny.com/archives/tag/card-access

Let me know if you need more info. It's late and I am sure I confused you more then I helped at this point ;)

It's not to hard to do yourself--what kind of doors are they wanting to control? Do they have panic bar hardware, mortise lock, deadbolt, etc. Then buy the appropriate electric strike plate. If you want the magnetic locks they are a bit more work--They require a REX (Request to Exit) button or REX PIR sensor. And when power is cut they typically unlock for safety...
Electric strikes are usually locked when unpowered and when powered up they unlock, you can get them either way though.

Buy an access control panel--I like surplus Northern Computers panels off eBay (N-1000-xx series). You'll need the RS232 interface, it's like CA-100 or something. You'll program the whole thing via hyperterminal or procomm
Use HID ProxPro readers, they are industry standard. Buy them used too if you want, just read the spec sheet and make sure the part# matches what you need it to do.

Research the panels you find, some control 2 doors, some do 4, all are daisy chainable to control more doors. Run shielded cat5 for your card readers, or something equivalent and a pair of wires for your electric strike plates. Whatever you do just remember to make it work even when power is cut, if there is a fire make sure people can egress without your card access getting in the way of life safety.

I did a bit of a writeup on my blog for when I put a panel in for my garage, I didn't cover electric strike plates but the general jist of it is there...

http://michael.requeny.com/archives/tag/card-access

Let me know if you need more info. It's late and I am sure I confused you more then I helped at this point ;)

How much did you spend on your setup, and did you get around to doing the front door? I kind of always wanted to do this at the house too. The possibility of locking certain people out at certain times just sounds appealing. =D

Shielded cat5 for access control? I would buy the proper access control composite cable that has the strike, power, reader, and rex all in one jacket.
http://www.smartwire.com/partnumber.aspx?id=be

If you have the big bucks $$$ for composite cable then go for it. I haven't seen an install that used composite cable, mind you I've only seen installs at schools in school districts in the south Florida area, and a handful of corp. buildings.

How much did you spend on your setup, and did you get around to doing the front door? I kind of always wanted to do this at the house too. The possibility of locking certain people out at certain times just sounds appealing. =D

I spent under 100 bucks. Reader and Panel are your two expenses per say. I had cable on hand.

I have a network serial server mounted on some din rail above my panel so I can telnet/ssh into it from my cell and drop other people's access ;-)

Everyone is used to using the garage now with their card access they don't carry a key anymore.

Most of the installs I see either use composite cable or individual shielded/unshielded cable for each component.
We have a lot of built in card readers at school, too. We just download the programming to each lock with a PDA. The card readers are battery operated and work great.

Back