Electrick Spray-on Stick-on or 3D Print Touchpad Technology

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Spray on or stick on your conductive layers with a small attached electrodes to measure current, and voila! Just touch! You and even use this technology to make 3D printed objects that are touch sensitive. This is not exactly as precise as what we see on our traditional touchscreens nowadays, but I can see this tech going a long ways in a very short time. This comes from the Future Interfaces Group at Carnegie Mellon University.

Check out the video.

We introduce Electrick, a low-cost and versatile sensing technique that enables touch input on a wide variety of objects and surfaces, whether small or large, flat or irregular. This is achieved by using electric field tomography in concert with an electrically conductive material, which can be easily and cheaply added to objects and surfaces through a variety of fabrication methods such as painting, 3D printing, injection molding etc.

Last edited:
Yeah Kyle, this is really the beginning of the big picture of change we will all see in the next 10-20 years, barring a collapse of the world economy, or the electric grid.

very cool - add that to the paint that can turn your wall into a tv..... very cool stuff :)

I could imagine that you could make some pretty crude fun interactive games with this

Last edited:
That, is fantastic!! Imagine swiping your dash to indicate a right turn, or turn down your music. I really liked the lightbulb idea, on and off with dimming just on the wall? The best though was shortcuts on the desk. Why didn't they create a flat keyboard on the desk? I wonder if the delay in response is a problem. And combinations.

I could imagine that you could make some pretty crude fun interactive games with this

This reminded me of the dev mode in that one video game where the bikini chick could be harassed by the dev. Imagine how that would work with this....

That or the new adult toys people will come up with...

Very cool. It'll be interesting to see how this actually ends up on the market.

Back