electrical shock from corsair M65 pro rgb mouse

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by d3athf1sh, Mar 6, 2019.

  1. d3athf1sh

    d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    341
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2015
    so today i turned on my computer and got ready to get going and BAM got the piss shocked out of me from my frickin mouse! Never had this happen before from any other mouse and been using same case for like prob 10 yrs now, so... WTF? want to know if anyone else has experienced this w/ this or any other mouse. and for the record i am wearing rubber souled shoes. IMO this shouldn't be an issue, the metal parts of the mouse should already be grounded.

    oh and it also made the sound like i unplugged then plugged back in the usb mouse. win 7 ultimate 64 bit
     
  2. dvsman

    dvsman 2[H]4U

    Messages:
    2,776
    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2009
    I have the same mouse on one of my setups and never had that problem. Win10 rigs all around though.

    What else do you have plugged into your system? I had the "USB sound" issue but I figured it had to do with having a few different USB hubs plugged into the rig (with things plugged into the hubs). One hub was in one monitor, another in the 2nd monitor, a 3rd in a hub built into my headphone stand and a 4th in a plain hub underneath my desk.

    I took out all the non-essential usb crap - plugged what I really needed directly into the USB plugs in the back and front of the box that got rid of that. Strange though I never had any issues when I ran my previous X99 setup (vs the current x470 AMD).
     
  3. pendragon1

    pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

    Messages:
    13,975
    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2000
    maybe im not remembering correctly but doesn't that mean the mouse is grounded ie: the static electricity built up in your body found a way to ground via the mouse?
     
  4. travm

    travm Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    354
    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2016
    Most likely a grounding issue. Like in your homes wiring. Or a static shock, as your mouse shoudl be grounded, through the mouse, usb cable, motherboard, case, plug, 8ft copper rod in the dirt.

    edit, reading that again, its just a bigass static shock. it happens. Especially if you were wearing shoes. It was you that shocked the mouse, not the other way around.
     
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  5. CAD4466HK

    CAD4466HK [H]ard|Gawd

    Messages:
    1,218
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Your lucky you didn't fry that fucker.
     
    d3athf1sh likes this.
  6. travm

    travm Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    354
    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2016
    meh, I had a computer get struck by lightning once, came in through the ethernet, the cable literally disintegrated. Besides 2/3s of the electronics in my house being destroyed, the only thing that fried was my motherboard, and for about a year, my mechanical keyboard wouldnt work unless I used a usb->PS2 adapter. Then magically it started working again, this was about 6 years ago, and still it works fine.
    Static shocks are childsplay.
     
  7. SmokeRngs

    SmokeRngs [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008

    Messages:
    15,772
    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2001
    It has been rather cold and dry here for a good chunk of the winter. Every time I come back inside and take off my coat and hat I ground myself to the lamp in my room and shock the piss out of it so I don't accidentally fry something on the computer.

    As stated, you static shocked the mouse and when that happened it momentarily lost connection with the computer and the computer had to find the mouse again. That's why you heard the USB disconnect and connect sounds.
     
  8. Dodge245

    Dodge245 Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    183
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2018
    Just touch a radiator, there grounded.
     
  9. NoOther

    NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

    Messages:
    6,477
    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    +1 for static shock.

    Rubber sole shoes are actually a huge factor in building up static electricity in your body, especially when walking across carpet.

    "Rubber is a powerful insulator. If you have carpeted floors, or work in a carpeted office, wearing rubber soled shoes greatly increases your chance of experiencing static shock. Opt for leather-soled shoes instead."

    As for grounding, likely your computer is not necessarily connected your mouse to true ground. It is more likely what happened is you walked around on carpet and built up static electricity in your body which was released when you came in contact with the mouse. Parts of the Corsair M65 are metal and exposed to the outside creating a link between your skin and the metal to release the charge.

    Remember the mouse being grounded is keeping "it" from shocking "you". You building up static electricity and then touching or getting close enough to a metal component on the mouse is opening up a chance for "you" to shock "it". This is the purpose of having anti static mats and benches connected to true ground with an ESD strap. Usually overkill for most home users.

    Here is a decent guide with pictures.