Electrical question phone kicking my computer out of sleep (they aren't connected)

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
Semi related to power supplies since my computer gets kicked on out of sleep. So I noticed that when I plug in my iphone into my office spare bedroom it kicks my computer out of sleep. So I thought that was odd so I purchased a brand new surge protector with a built in usb port. Same thing happens. Why does this happen?

EMI from capacitors in your phone somehow has a signature that resembles a network wakeup packet and is picked up by your wifi antenna or eth port? Else, Alexa is playing mind games with you...

Is iTunes installed on the machine that is sleeping? Maybe it's trying to Sync when plugged in and turning on the PC with Wake On Lan.

I would also look if disabling wake on lan fixe this.

If not, right after your computer wake up, in the command line (if it is a windows computer), you can type:
powercfg -lastwake

It could give you some info, if it was waked by a usb device, network, schedule something ,e tc...

I'll try the powercfg -lastwake the next time it does it.

I don't have itunes or any apple garbage on my PC. I honestly hate the iphone. I just want to make sure it's not causing a power surge that can damage anything.

I would also look if disabling wake on lan fixe this.

If not, right after your computer wake up, in the command line (if it is a windows computer), you can type:
powercfg -lastwake

It could give you some info, if it was waked by a usb device, network, schedule something ,e tc...
So I plugged in a power strip (empty) into the next closest outlet to the one my computer/surge protector are plugged into and it kicked my computer out of sleep. I tried the command and it tells me this. Does it mean anything?

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&A0
Friendly Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
Description: USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller
Manufacturer: Generic USB xHCI Host Controller

C:\Users\Thrax>

That's a usb controller. Either it, or a device connected to it is waking the pc? I know some mice will if you just look at them wrong, but wouldn't think plugging in a power strip would do it (unless it created a big vibration or something).

That's a usb controller. Either it, or a device connected to it is waking the pc? I know some mice will if you just look at them wrong, but wouldn't think plugging in a power strip would do it (unless it created a big vibration or something).
hair dryer, plugging external drive, phone charger. Basically it seems like anytime electrical stuff goes on it will kick the computer on in this place.

So I plugged in a power strip (empty) into the next closest outlet to the one my computer/surge protector are plugged into and it kicked my computer out of sleep. I tried the command and it tells me this. Does it mean anything?
The message make it look the kind of message when a mouse or keyboard is waking up a PC.

What could be happening, is that you could have a case with USB headers get electrically excited when something get plug in, get a small short that is interpreted has a USB device activity and wake the computer up (that only think I can see that would make sense with a dryer waking up the computer, that or an actual USB device react to it, but I imagine none are directly connected to the power).

One "easy" way to test this would be to disconnect the case USB header from the motherboard and see if it get rid of the issue.

Back