Electric Vehicle Batteries to go to Street Lights

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
After you are done with the EV car batteries what exactly do you want to do with those? We have all heard of the upcoming glut of EV batteries and just how harmful these are to the environment even when properly disposed of. However, there are plenty of battery duties that are not near as punishing as use in electric cars. Nissan is suggesting it will light the world with old car batteries and a solar panel. Thanks cageymaru.

Check out the video.

Last edited:
Well, the batteries are here already, so if you can get some more use out of them, and if it can be done at low cost, why not? You can reuse the material while figuring out how to better dispose of the resulting waste. Cant watch the video at the moment. Im wondering how much more use we're talking about here.

What's the environmental impact and taxpayer burden on streetlight battery damage/theft going to be?

Just sell the old batteries on ebay, that's how I used to get rid stuff I now longer needed. :p

More light pollution. Ever heard of the Dark Skies movement, Nissan? Find something better to do with them.
This. I went to the park near me at 9:30 at night last week and couldn't believe how bright the sky was. I live outside a big city and the light pollution makes it all the way over to my area still.

We can double sell our batteries! eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until we can properly recycle them (not just reuse) I still believe they are not good for the environment.
You think we can't...why?

We know how to reprocess them. There just isn't enough used battery supply yet to economically justify building proper processing plants to do it.

So what types of batteries are we talking about that are harmful to the environment after the fact? I mean you basically throw ANY battery in a landfill it's not good, lead acid ones you pull out the lead plates and reuse the lead in whatever industry uses lead, NiCad? Presumably the nickel can be reused. LiIOn? You get them really hot and they dispose of themselves :D But seriously the biggest issue is that it costs more to recycle these products than to simply throw them away (in the short term)

Seriously though, in my state I pay "Environmental fees" for fucking everything from monitors/tvs to getting my oil changed, those fucking fees better be going to properly recycle this shit and not just in some fucking state coffers "general fund" and oh hey all these tires are just going into landfills.

same thing I do with my old laptop and cell phone batteries and Styrofoam. Throw them in the fire pit. That way they arent in some land fill polluting the ground.

Reclaim the material will be cheaper in the long run. Government won't because China wants to sell the raw material and China Air Drops Money over Washington DC.

So basically... environmental impact.... people cry about it. They find different ways to at least extend the usage... people cry environmental impact. But fossil fuels? A-Okay? Yes, there can always been improvements and there should be continued research in how to reclaim and recycle the materials involved. But this kind of stuff takes time.

reverse 3d printer patented on hardocp.com 2017/03/26 by me:
a. smash all the junk into smaller pieces of highly hazardous explosive junk
b. send it through something that makes it even smaller (or nano bots that collect their "part" )
c. separate out at the atomic level
d. collect the similar structures
e. refeed the collections back in to a creator 3d printer from the USS Enterprise
f. recreate junk
g. profit! (or drop it all from planes into the ocean or shoot it into space)

Sure because that's exactly what we need...more light pollution. I have a better idea, just turn the street lights off and use the batteries to back something else up...

And what do we do with them after that? Until we can properly recycle them (not just reuse) I still believe they are not good for the environment.

Close to 100 percent of the battery can be recycled, so that can happen down the road if needed, the materials are valuable so it would make sense some day if there's enough supply to work with.

Close to 100 percent of the battery can be recycled, so that can happen down the road if needed, the materials are valuable so it would make sense some day if there's enough supply to work with.
Like lead acid, which most of them are recycled in the US, like 99% according to wiki.
Do fully discharged, 'dead' lithium battery still catch fire?

Exactly, unlike some materials that cost more to recycle than getting new ones, almost everything in a Lithium Ion battery, lithium, cobalt, copper, graphite, not to mention the rare earth elements have varying degrees of sufficient value in order to warrant recycling.

It has been tricky to do thus far with the many small Lithium Ion batteries in our electronic devices, but the larger size (and smaller diversity) of vehicle batteries improves recycling efficiencies significantly.

The city, where I live, recently changed all our street lights to LED lights which only produce light in a downwards direction. The pilots, who fly into our Airport, have noticed a huge difference and improvement with the new street lights. I believe It would be a great idea to pair these lights up with some batteries and a solar panel. The figure the utility company posted state that these new LED street lights use half the power of the HPS ones we had previously.

It has been tricky to do thus far with the many small Lithium Ion batteries in our electronic devices, but the larger size (and smaller diversity) of vehicle batteries improves recycling efficiencies significantly.
Have you seen a Tesla power bank (or car battery)? It literally is a fuck ton of those small LiIon batteries chained together, granted not cell phone small, but the "standard disposable battery" size.

Have you seen a Tesla power bank (or car battery)? It literally is a fuck ton of those small LiIon batteries chained together, granted not cell phone small, but the "standard disposable battery" size.

Yup. But it's a huge bank of identical cells rather than a mess of mix and match cellphone batteries.

If I can count on having a large quantity of identical cells, I can design fixturing and tools to help with the process or maybe even - gasp - automate some of it.

That's the point I was getting at.

Back