Electric Scooters Pissing Off San Francisco

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We reported yesterday on "Bird Hunters" and how they were cashing in collecting these ride-share electric scooters every night. It seems as though there is a dirtier side to the electric scooter rental market. According to Vice News, three of these scooter companies just "dumped" these into several California cities with no regard to local laws that may or may not impact the companies. And some folks are upset about it as well! Ride-share bikes have come under fire as well for being left by their riders just about everywhere, causing plenty of issues. Cities such as Dallas have demanded they clean up their business model, or Dallas would throw their bikes away.

Check out the video.

Inspired by Uber and Lyft — and even hiring some of the rideshares’ executives — a handful of companies are scattering electric scooter across cities first, then waiting for the law to deal with them.

Those scooters dindu notin! It's the millennial sv types who use them that is the problem.

Anyway seems like a very first world problem. I can't imagine this to be such an issue, it's not like there are giant piles of scooters everywhere.

The problem is when these asshole ride them in the middle of the street and hold up traffic. Kids around here also like to ride them damn hoverboard things in the middle of the road with zero fucks given they holding up traffic.

If only there was a device that could remotely disable these things while people ride them. If only such a directional EMP type item existed. If only..

We have Ofo bicycles in our City. Basically anyone that rents one thinks its perfectly okay to ride at full speed on the sidewalk, sometimes two abreast.

From their actual website

Working With Cities

We work closely with cities to help make transportation better & more environmentally friendly.

If you are a city official and would like to partner with Bird please

contact our city relations team today at [email protected]

they work "closely" with cities.. um.. sure. but they leave it up to the city to contact them.. hahaha the arrogance. how awesome.

i can see people in mass just dumping these things all over the place an issue.

Need a helmet and license?..... GET THE FUCK OUT!!!

Yup, looks like people are the problem not the scooters themselves. In the video it was all young people riding them, and all older people bitching about them. Cali gonna Cali.

Yep, reminded me of the stories when cars just came.
Oh noz, too fast, oh noz, they're on the roads( for those that didn't know roads were used for foot traffic).

Wow, this is really a real thing? Felt like a joke the first time I read it.

I used to skateboard and had lots of fun you could really hurt someone getting backsided with anything like this without braking. At least skateboards are just wood these are mini motorcycles.

I'd have to police remove them if they got dumped on my private property. Let this company pay a $150 reclamation fee for each one.

Is the commentator a damn communist? This the USA not soviet russia. People here innovate, create value, make products people want!!!!! Do you think you know better then the city regulators? HELL YES I DO! Its the same as UBER, I hate when private enterprise comes up with a new innovative way people can make money on their own and have competition with other taxi companies but OOH NO we can't have that, we must regulate the living shit out of them so they go bankrupt in lawyer fees.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Seems like lots of abandoned trash that needs to be picked up and taken for recycling $$$.

While I understand where the regulators are coming from, I don't think throwing the things away is any more legal than them being left on the sidewalk. If they want to take the legal high ground, they should be impounding them or putting some sort of lock on them and imposing fines.

Meanwhile, these companies should have outlined their business plan and showed it to the city, maybe work out a deal where they create parking locations for the devices, and the company pays a small percentage of their profit toward upkeep. And someone should establish explicit rules regarding these small vehicles' use on and off the roadway.

If its abandoned property then the city should be picking them up and auctioning them off if the owner doesn't claim them.

Personally I think riding a scooter should be considered punishment enough. Cities should just leave well enough alone and let the morons sort it out.

Give me my Mad Max car with spikes, retractable polls to clothesline, and rocket launchers-problem solved.

Easier to get forgiveness than permission. I'm certain that the problem will go away once the city gets a cut.

Pretty soon in CA you will need a helmet and elbow pads to have sex.
article-0-19918BE200000578-544_634x382.jpg

RIP Leslie Neilsen

I literally never see all of these scooters they're talking about. I'm up in SF almost weekly

Those scooters dindu notin! It's the millennial sv types who use them that is the problem.

Anyway seems like a very first world problem. I can't imagine this to be such an issue, it's not like there are giant piles of scooters everywhere.

Is something messed up... yes

Is that something NOT social security... yes

Millennials did it.

Back