Electric Cars Must Make Noise By 2019

Remember the was a market for ringtones? Gonna be hilarious for a while. Then simply annoying

Remember the was a market for ringtones? Gonna be hilarious for a while. Then simply annoying

Yea, I call the mustang one now: *Screams of people getting crowd surfed on*

I want my car to sound like airwolf...I loved the sound of that helicopter :), and its startup like the last ten seconds of the "zeta project" theme.

Its quite needed. I can tell that from Bicycle Capital in the world.

Not to mention the people with their heads stuck in their smartphones.

I guess the feature can be removed again when the human driver is removed from the automated cars.

This is total bullcrap. Instead of enjoying silence in cities finally, make artificial noise, because some idiots can't be bothered to look around before crossing a damn street. Fuck em.

I thought this was already required. My eGolf makes engine sound at low speed and I thought all the other electrics did, too.
There are even some gas cars that make fake sounds at low speed.
They added Reverse and the sound must be louder than it is now.

The mandated sound is best described as a white noise like hiss with some high pitch tones thrown in.

This is stupid for two reasons:
1) pedestrians need to be aware of their surroundings, and shouldn't have to rely on cars being noisy
2) it should be Congress making this law, not a bunch of bureaucrats
Its primarily for Blind pedestrians.

This is stupid for two reasons:
1) pedestrians need to be aware of their surroundings, and shouldn't have to rely on cars being noisy
2) it should be Congress making this law, not a bunch of bureaucrats

What? You can't expect pedestrians to take responsibility for themselves, thats crazy talk!

And I can't wait for my EV to have the sweet sound of two coconut shells clopping together.

As the owner of a 2017 volt... it's silent... especially when I removed the fuse for the warbling noisemaker thingy... it basically emits this staticy sort of sound under a certain limit. I drive all highway... so *meh*

Seriously though - you could have a megaphone, blinking neon signs saying "watch out... I'm a moving car" and you will still get retards that are oblivious to the world around them stepping out in front. I don't like to imagine a world where everyone has to waste time/energy/money ensuring their survival. If you aren't looking where you are going and you walk into traffic that has right of way, you deserve it plain and simple.

The world shouldn't (and cant') be bubble wrapped plain and simple.

I am totally cool with this as long as you can edit your sound profile with custom exhaust sounds, kinda like ring tones for electric cars. Imagine your Prius sounding like a supercharged big block. :D

Under the rule, all hybrid and electric light vehicles with four wheels and a gross vehicle weight rating — the maximum operating weight of a vehicle, including passengers, driver, and cargo — of 10,000 pounds or less will be required to make noise when going forward or backwards at speeds up to 19 miles per hour. They’re not required to make a noise over that threshold because at higher speeds, other factors, like tire and wind noise, provide adequate audible warning to pedestrians, NHTSA explains.

You've clearly never ridden on the subway, where people let their ringers just go, because they "love this song!" and think you must too. I see a whole movement of people sideswiping other people, just so they can hear that sweet sound.

I thought this was already required. My eGolf makes engine sound at low speed and I thought all the other electrics did, too.
There are even some gas cars that make fake sounds at low speed.
They've been talking about this for years.

Bunch of legislators sitting around with nothing better to do.

Its primarily for Blind pedestrians.
Is there a problem with blind people walking directly on to roads and being run over that i'm not aware about?
If this isn't a problem, why is there a solution for it?
I can understand the marketing aspect of it, make EV cars sound like race cars to have more of an appeal, but it's unnecessary. How will they stop people from ripping it out?

Deaf people seem to do just fine? This is the most absurd thing I've "heard".

Is there a problem with blind people walking directly on to roads and being run over that i'm not aware about?
If this isn't a problem, why is there a solution for it?
I can understand the marketing aspect of it, make EV cars sound like race cars to have more of an appeal, but it's unnecessary. How will they stop people from ripping it out?
I'm just describing the claimed intent. Trust me there is no marketing aspect to this. Making it sound like a gas car, this is not. That's completely separate issue. If you rip it out and hit a blind person, it probably would be treated as if you hit someone with your headlights knowingly & deliberately off. Insurance probably won't cover you. Police will be talking negligence at the least.

Last edited:
It's for the blind. The blind use audible cues for crossing streets.

Ok fair enough, I'll give them a pass. However we all know there are lots of "Not legally blind" people who are oblivious around the road.

Ok fair enough, I'll give them a pass. However we all know there are lots of "Not legally blind" people who are oblivious around the road.

And driving on the road *cough*

But somehow drivers think they are gods gift to humanity :p

I was almost run over by a Prius in a parking lot when they first came out - because I stepped out in front of it.

The silver lining is that at least they are acknowledging pedestrian safety is not only the responsibility of the driver.

There is a surprising amount of anger over this.

And I agree it's needed unless they can put a governor to slow them in the parking lots / slow residential streets. Yes, everyone should be paying attention, but blind people, children, and even the stupid distracted peoples lives matter. I'm in SoCal and don't text and walk or anything in the lot, and I can tell you the second generation Volts and second and third generation Prius are very quiet at twenty to twenty five MPH. Which removes basically all of the slow pedestrians ability to stay out of the way. That said, I'm still going to test ride a Zero next weekend.

So federal regulation to fix the problem created by a car that is the result of federal regulation?

That's the primary function of government today, passing new laws to fix problems caused my previously pass laws.

Ugh, because idiots who wander into the street while texting, we have to give up the idea of a nice and quiet car...

Maybe we should use this sound?

Set the car to play ice cream truck music while driving.
That was the first thing I thought of. Just mess with every kid everywhere and annoy the crap out of their parents at the same time.
Or maybe something like a random insult generator would be fun.

Its clear a lot here never tried bicycling :p
I bike to work sometimes. My problems have nothing to do with cars that are too quiet. If they're slow enough to be quiet, they're also being careful. If they're faster, you can hear the tire noise.

Most cars nowadays are pretty dang quiet, with road noise drowning out engine noise except when accelerating.

im making my future electric car sound like my current track car. at least when im older and senile in 40 years, i can sit there and rev a harmless RC car with a cabin as opposed to being the guy on the news that cremates 300 people.

Its clear a lot here never tried bicycling :p

You know, I would ride my bike around the city...

...but I'd prefer to live.

(that and if I rode my bike to work I would be sweaty, stinky, and all around not a popular guy to be in small conference rooms with)

Back