Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

maybe the cell doesn't reset if you visit it frequently.

This may be true, I do head back and forth the the collage a ton. One might think I am paranoid, when I look for things I normally have to check every container because I have no idea where I left them. If some one were watching all they would see is a person checking and rechecking every bag, box, and canister looking for something they cant remember if they have.:rolleyes: I need to organize some time...

Yeah, I'm a "no beta drivers" person all the way.

weird, i've been using the beta drivers (as have my 2 roommates) since they launched... no issues so far! *fingers crossed*

By the way, I think it may be worth mentioning... i installed a better shader mod lately, which included the ENB mod... and that one totally does improve performance for me. Lag experienced when quicksaving, screenshotting, and other stuff like that is completely gone.

I believe the engine does handle frequent visits to the cell differently. But I can't remember the exact details.

That is a bummer though, I like the quarters as a home (mudcrab plaque too!). But I need at least 5 containers (maybe 4), for sorting purposes. Looks like I will have pick one of the player homes. The one I'm looking at is Riften, but -

It feels kind of odd getting it and becoming thane, only to overthrow the person who gives you title later on since I want to join the legion :p

Whiterun I used last time, so want to change, and I'm avoiding starting the main quest for RP reasons.

Maybe I'll do Markarth.

By the way for Riften and the thieves guild, without spoiling it with details, can you actually "clean" up the town? Does the "thieves guild" have some kind of "honorable/noble" twist?

Where did you get that idea? Steam workshop is just a way of easily organizing mods for games by giving them their own steam page so you can navigate through an organized list of mods and install them right into the game through steam. Half-Life has tons of mods through Steam workshop all free. It's the best thing that can happen to Skyrim.

I wouldn't say that either. It will have to depend on the implementation and delivery method, it could even result in some negatives as well (such as fragmentation/split community).

Like I posted earlier, it is huge news. But probably best to actually reserve judgment until the end result.

am I missing out on quests by exploring areas on my own and killing all the creatures, bandits etc inside those areas?...or should I just wait for the quest to show up under Misc./Secondary before exploring?

also are enemies supposed to respawn in areas that you previously cleared out (and which show up as 'Cleared' on the Map)?...I went back to a few 'cleared' areas and see more enemies there

^^ I always wanted to be part of the thieves guild, as i'm an assasin/thief Khajiit atm... but on my next playthrough, where i'm a Righteous Paladin cleansing the land of skyrim.... i plan on cleaning out the entire thieves guild.

I assume you can take the "moral" path there, as there is so much supporting dialogue to suggest it.

However, these have sometimes lead me to think i could do something (like assist Ysolda buy the bannered-mare), but even though they talk about it all the time, there's no option to make it a reality... so who knows if that's the same in Riften with the thieves guild.

am I missing out on quests by exploring areas on my own and killing all the creatures, bandits etc inside those areas?...or should I just wait for the quest to show up under Misc./Secondary before exploring?

also are enemies supposed to respawn in areas that you previously cleared out (and which show up as 'Cleared' on the Map)?...I went back to a few 'cleared' areas and see more enemies there

The "radiant" engine will actually still assign quests to "cleared" areas. The areas also respawn by themselves after awhile.

In terms of actual quests, you won't miss quests, but some will bug out when you do receive them. Basically it will be stuck on a stage where it asks you do something in that area, which you can't because you have already done it.

On the PC this can be worked around using "setstage" in the console, and using UESP for the refIDs.

The "radiant" engine will actually still assign quests to "cleared" areas. The areas also respawn by themselves after awhile.

In terms of actual quests, you won't miss quests, but some will bug out when you do receive them. Basically it will be stuck on a stage where it asks you do something in that area, which you can't because you have already done it.

On the PC this can be worked around using "setstage" in the console, and using UESP for the refIDs.

I was also thinking about it in another way...suppose I go clear out an area on my own...I find some cool weapons and armor and decide to either disenchant it or sell it...what happens later on if a quest requires you to return to that cleared area and retrieve the item I just sold?...will the item respawn or will the quest be broken?

I was also thinking about it in another way...suppose I go clear out an area on my own...I find some cool weapons and armor and decide to either disenchant it or sell it...what happens later on if a quest requires you to return to that cleared area and retrieve the item I just sold?...will the item respawn or will the quest be broken?

In this case, the vendor probably still has the item.

If you denched it, you may have to conjure up another

As far as I know all "unique" quest type items are actually tagged, and you cannot disenchant, sell them, drop them, or store them. Actually some quest items are bugged and remain in this state in your inventory after being done, taking up weight :p

There actually is not that many (relatively speaking) unique items in the game.

An example I can give with the problem I illustrated in my previous post is one of the quests for the Companions. One of there storyline quests will ask you to clear this area of its "power" (can't remember exact term). The problem is I wandering into that area, and killed the "power" (boss) much earlier on. If I go back to that area, he of course will not spawn (dead), and so I am stuck on that stage.

If you actually go to some areas with quests, it will actually start those quests for you. Some areas also have self contained quests.

I've noticed that some items I've found randomly won't leave my inventory due to it "being a quest item" for a quest I haven't started. There are some broken things for sure, though. Like I've been given a bounty to kill a dragon or something that I've already killed before, and in one case I tried to retrieve the bounty again (there was a dragon there that must have respawned) and it wouldn't give me the option. So now that Misc. quest is stuck on my log forever as having not been completed. I can't even click on it to see where I need to go, it just simply won't go away.

I've also had some items say they were "quest items" but really weren't. Like I had a couple of Giant's Toes in my inventory and for a long while it kept saying they were a quest item and couldn't be dropped. For no apparent reason, after some time had passed, I was able to drop them finally. No clue as to why.

I've noticed sometimes when I've already cleared out, say, a bandit hideout, and then I get a bounty to do the same or something similar, the bandits will generally respawn. I don't know about quest items, though. I've found quite a few of like "So-and-so's Bow" or "So-and-so's Sword" randomly, but usually I keep that stuff in case it is a quest later on. Sometimes it will let you drop it, sometimes it does the "quest item, can't drop" thing. Kind of annoying all around. It would be preferable if, when you tried to drop a quest item, it would say "warning: this is a quest item, are you sure you want to drop" or something like that rather than taking up weight in your inventory that you can't get back because you don't even know what quest it's for.

I've also had some items say they were "quest items" but really weren't. Like I had a couple of Giant's Toes in my inventory and for a long while it kept saying they were a quest item and couldn't be dropped. For no apparent reason, after some time had passed, I was able to drop them finally. No clue as to why.

A night to remember quest... I had that problem, look in your books at the recipe on how to fix the staff. Once you finish the quest, the toes, the alto wine and one other item become usable.

I've noticed sometimes when I've already cleared out, say, a bandit hideout, and then I get a bounty to do the same or something similar, the bandits will generally respawn.
Yes, that actually works, and works well. The chests also are relocked and contain new loot, leveled loot. recently found a black soul gem by redoing a bounty.

I don't know about quest items, though. I've found quite a few of like "So-and-so's Bow" or "So-and-so's Sword" randomly, but usually I keep that stuff in case it is a quest later on. Sometimes it will let you drop it, sometimes it does the "quest item, can't drop" thing. Kind of annoying all around. It would be preferable if, when you tried to drop a quest item, it would say "warning: this is a quest item, are you sure you want to drop" or something like that rather than taking up weight in your inventory that you can't get back because you don't even know what quest it's for.

Agreed. I have stopped picking up named items out of sheer principle. If i do pick up the quest, it will point me back here. Who knows, maybe the cave/dungeon will be repopulated again :)

As a person that only played Oblivion for xbox 360 a few times, and found it relativity fun, would you recommend buying Skyrim? Is it better?

As a person that only played Oblivion for xbox 360 a few times, and found it relativity fun, would you recommend buying Skyrim? Is it better?

Yes, and more yes. I was introduced to The Elder Scrolls games though Oblivion as well. I have since played many TES, Skyrim is by far better than Oblivion in my opinion and I would and, have been recommending it to anyone with any interest in the series.

Actually, i'm kicking myself for not being able to wait longer for the patches and the fixes :D
I think the game will be a lot more fun in 6 months to a year. The DLCs will be out and most of the bugs will be worked out by then.

Edit: That said, i can't stop playing if i'm free to do so.

Yes, and more yes. I was introduced to The Elder Scrolls games though Oblivion as well. I have since played many TES, Skyrim is by far better than Oblivion in my opinion and I would and, have been recommending it to anyone with any interest in the series.

Cool. The commercial makes the game look so good and it interests me even more.

Thanks for your input:D

Actually, i'm kicking myself for not being able to wait longer for the patches and the fixes :D
I think the game will be a lot more fun in 6 months to a year. The DLCs will be out and most of the bugs will be worked out by then.

That's nothing, I have been kicking myself for not breaking for food and sleep... :D

In reality I have gotten better about that, the first week Skyrim and I were inseparable. With time and completion of the main quest line I have returned to a more reasonable amount of time spent gaming.

Anyone have an issue with Static saves missing?

All of them are there except two and they seem to have re-ordered themselves into sequential numeric order... as if they never existed...

That's nothing, I have been kicking myself for not breaking for food and sleep... :D

In reality I have gotten better about that, the first week Skyrim and I were inseparable. With time and completion of the main quest line I have returned to a more reasonable amount of time spent gaming.

Sounds like you played this into the ground already, lol

I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'm leveling so slow with destruction. I'm lvl 11 and I only have lvl 34 destruction. I'm primarily a mage/archer. I'm a dark elf. Don't get what I'm doing wrong.

Please help?

I think "Cleared" is Skyrim's way of saying 'nothing new here, move along unless you want a re-run". IOW: Enemies will respawn in cleared dungeons, but most likely they will be the same exact type & level as when you first cleared the dungeon.

Only? I'm primarily one-handed and that's a higher level than what I had my one-handed skill at. The key thing is probably to buy the right level spells - apprentice instead of novice, and so on, and the appropriate perks to reduce magicka use for the level of the spell.

The key thing is probably to buy the right level spells - apprentice instead of novice, and so on, and the appropriate perks to reduce magicka use for the level of the spell.

By the way, am I missing something, or is there no way to tell what level the spell the guy is selling me is? I can see the damage, etc, but it doesn't clearly say "Novice" or "Apprentice" or anything, at least not that I've seen. Or does it level with you?

I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'm leveling so slow with destruction. I'm lvl 11 and I only have lvl 34 destruction. I'm primarily a mage/archer. I'm a dark elf. Don't get what I'm doing wrong.

Please help?

Are you constantly using destruction spells? If so - is it against the right kind of enemies? In order to boost your destruction skills efficiently, you need to use destruction spells against enemies who use destruction spells. You won't gain as much destruction experience using destruction spells against a pure greatsword-wielding Orc as you would using the same spells against a Necromage.

Also - 34 destruction skill isn't TOO bad at level 11.

Are you constantly using destruction spells? If so - is it against the right kind of enemies? In order to boost your destruction skills efficiently, you need to use destruction spells against enemies who use destruction spells. You won't gain as much destruction experience using destruction spells against a pure greatsword-wielding Orc as you would using the same spells against a Necromage.

That just might be my problem because I am using the firebolt against pretty much EVERYTHING I get in contact with.

Had no idea you needed to use certain spells for certain enemies...

By the way, am I missing something, or is there no way to tell what level the spell the guy is selling me is? I can see the damage, etc, but it doesn't clearly say "Novice" or "Apprentice" or anything, at least not that I've seen. Or does it level with you?

There's only 3 levels of spells I believe. Novice, adept and expert. You can buy all the destruction spells from Faralda at the mages college (dark elf with pony tails that you first meet when you approach the college)

You have to be at a certain level though either with your character or your actual destruction magic skill (I don't know which) in order for the spells to even appear in her inventory.

My suggestion is that if you're going to be using a lot of destruction magic to work a LOT on your enhanting skill. Enchanting 4 pieces of apparel with a grand soul gem using the lower requirement attribute/enchantment will be 25% per piece. Theoretically, if you wear all 4 pieces that have that 25% reduction in destruction magic cost, you cast spells at zero magic cost.

My gear has about a 97% reduction... makes me wish I hadn't put all those points into magic :eek:

Spells are novice, apprentice, adept, expert, and master.

The mage at the college who specializes in each spell type will sell you novice spells at 0 skill, apprentice at 25, adept at 50, and expert at 75. You can receive a quest for the master spell at skill level 90, after which you an buy master spells.

In terms of leveling destruction, basically the base MP cost of the spell affects how much you get per time you damage someone with that spell. So using the Rune spells (high MP cost) levels faster. There are some NPCs which you can level destruction on without worrying about them dieing if you want to look for an exploit. Destruction is the only school you have to level in "combat," all the other schools have at least one spell you can level out of combat.

The mage at the college who specializes in each spell type will sell you novice spells at 0 skill, apprentice at 25, adept at 50, and expert at 75. You can receive a quest for the master spell at skill level 90, after which you an buy master spells.

In terms of leveling destruction, basically the base MP cost of the spell affects how much you get per time you damage someone with that spell. So using the Rune spells (high MP cost) levels faster. There are some NPCs which you can level destruction on without worrying about them dieing if you want to look for an exploit. Destruction is the only school you have to level in "combat," all the other schools have at least one spell you can level out of combat.

But is there any way to know (besides the damage/price) which ones are which? I am apprentice level for destruction, so I can buy some apprentice spells, but it looks like they also still have the novice spells for sale as well. I can figure it out, it would just be nice if there was a way to tell at a glance what level the spell is (in the magic menu also).

do master level spells not unlock until you reach lvl 100?

Please help?

That's funny, because recently I started using Soul Trap to fill soul gems (rather than carrying a second weapon enchanted to do so) and my Conjuration (or whatever school it's in) skill was literally leveling up every 2-3 uses of the spell. In one dungeon alone I ended up gaining like 4 levels. Overall I was only like level 20 in that skill, so that may have contributed to it, but still.

For anyone that hasn't done the main quest yet, I would recommend doing it before you hit level 35 or so...otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment when you realize how incredibly easy it is.

Also, as a primarily heavy armor one-handed dude I have still found some Adept or Expert level spells as loot. The Magicka cost is high since I only have like 200 Magicka, but my point is that it's possible to get those higher-level spells other than being able to buy them.

Last edited:
But is there any way to know (besides the damage/price) which ones are which? I am apprentice level for destruction, so I can buy some apprentice spells, but it looks like they also still have the novice spells for sale as well. I can figure it out, it would just be nice if there was a way to tell at a glance what level the spell is (in the magic menu also).

Each level has quite a big price jump, so you can tell that way. For instance for destruction, novice spells are in the 100-200 price range, apprentice ~200-400, adept is 1000+. Otherwise there is no in game way to tell when buying.

In the magic menu it does list which level the skill is. When you have the spell selected, it will say what level is to the left of the MP cost.

do master level spells not unlock until you reach lvl 100?

Master level spells don't "unlock" until after you do the respective quest for each school, they are sold after the quest is completed. The quests are offered at the mages college when you reach skill level 90 for that respective school. Keep in mind there is no actual prereq to learn the spells. If you get the master class spellbook (using the console) for instance even with skill level 10 you can still learn it. The non master level spellbooks can be found as "loot" in the game world before you reach their skill levels in magic.

Another well-balanced serving of screenshots :p Caught a couple cool moments too:

L3.jpg

Don't lose your head!

L1.jpg

L4.jpg

L2.jpg

L5.jpg

What's your source for this? I haven't seen any evidence of Destruction leveling based on anything other than damage done to your target.

Does playing on Master mean you level up faster?
Since the enemies have more HP, you can hit them more = more exp?

I'm going to do another play-through on Master without using fast travel. I kind of rushed through the game before (still took me 70 hours!) and I feel like I missed out on a lot.

What's your source for this? I haven't seen any evidence of Destruction leveling based on anything other than damage done to your target.

It says it on one of the many loading screens. I'll search around in my screenshots to see if I've captured it.

Does playing on Master mean you level up faster?
Since the enemies have more HP, you can hit them more = more exp?

I'm going to do another play-through on Master without using fast travel. I kind of rushed through the game before (still took me 70 hours!) and I feel like I missed out on a lot.

Good question.... doubtful for most skills, but heavy armor and light armor and block might since damage (on you) affects skill gain. As far as offensive stuff... I though your damage got nerfed on master. That or the enemies have multiplied hitpoints.

Hey, question for all of you sissies playing Skyrim, which of you have been chasing butterflies? :D

During the course of gameplay and with no predictable pattern, I can have my performance suddenly drop from great frame rates to quite a bit less. Would that behavior be consistent with a memory leak?

There is no actual xp gain multiplier for difficulty levels. But in practice you will level some skills more, those related to combat, since combat will last longer.

Spells give xp based on their base mp cost. Lightning bolt for instance gives more xp then fire bolt, despite the same damage. Runes give the most xp for its level because it uses the most mp, not because of the higher damage.

Hey, question for all of you sissies playing Skyrim, which of you have been chasing butterflies? :D

Since day one.

Back