Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

eh, playing a destruction wizard. 0 additional hitpoints added, wearing robe, never used a companion, playing normal. no real issues. Some of the bosses can one shot me but that just means to be more careful. I don't see the problems that a lot of you describe.

In combat, regeneration is too slow to matter.
Between fights, use Wait for 1 hour and you fully regenerate and it takes about 2 seconds to finish.

Fair enough. Now I need to find a source of Daedra Hearts so I can resmith/reenchant all my armor. :p

In combat, regeneration is too slow to matter.
Between fights, use Wait for 1 hour and you fully regenerate and it takes about 2 seconds to finish.

This isn't necessary as a caster heavy character.. just heal yourself and your magicka regens quite fast enough in my experiences.

So I take it you are using enchants to get 500+ hp? Let me ask you something, then. Is it better to enchant something with a +30% bonus to HP regeneration, or just enchant stuff to give you a + to overall HP points?

My previous was a straight up warrior, so basically I didn't need magicka levels. Stamina levels are not needed that high, so you basically pumped HP every level. Since I ended at 50, that was 400 hp just from levels, I think I only had 1 gear with fortify health.

But like mentioned all 3 stats regenerate as a percentage of total. I only know magicka regenerates at a base rate of 3% of total, not sure about HP or stamina.

I'm actually going to avoid any perks in enchanting or alchemy this new play through as well.

My previous was a straight up warrior, so basically I didn't need magicka levels. Stamina levels are not needed that high, so you basically pumped HP every level.

Really? I'm finding that I need stamina more than HP, especially if going up against frost mages. I use power attacks often (two handed) and that drains a lot of my stamina with every hit. Plus I sprint from enemy to enemy, so that drains more stamina.

an ideal potion would recover (or maybe regenerate) both stamina and health (hmm I didn't look, but is there a formula for that?)

My usual play is to charge in with a power attack. I still dont know if its better to crit or to cause extra bleeding or to ignore armor. (sword/axe/hammer)

For two handed weapons, I also read that there is some synergy with block, so if you have disarm perk under block, that can carry over to your 2H weapons power attack.

I had 200 stamina (10 levels of it), and I'd usually try to take the stamina blessing. I was also a Nord, so that had innate frost resist. 1 gear had stamina regen enchant. Using a 2h weap and bow combo, I found that to be enough. The other thing is I actually used the shouts like "whirlwind" and "ethereal" (no stamina drain while sprinting) if I needed to close distance.

Regarding sprinting + power attacks, there is a bug where you keep sprinting after doing the attack, which is what makes your stamina drain extremely quick from using that. You have to complete pause attacking and then move back to stop.

You can make double effect potions. The ingredients just need have 2 properties that overlap I believe. But I'm not sure if any do that for stamina/hp regen.

There's one odd thing about the main quest I'm encountering now:

I have just attempted to defeat Alduin for the first time at the Throat of the World, and now I am trying to make peace between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks. Up until now I hadn't joined either side, but when I first went to see Ulfric Stormcloak it basically forced me to start the Stormcloak quest line and wouldn't allow me to simply deliver the message from the Greybeards regarding a peace summit. This doesn't sound right to me. Now it still tells me to give him the message, but when I try to talk to him he says "so-and-so gave you a task, so go do it", which is the first task in the Stormcloak quest line. Wtf?

I have just attempted to defeat Alduin for the first time at the Throat of the World, and now I am trying to make peace between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks. Up until now I hadn't joined either side, but when I first went to see Ulfric Stormcloak it basically forced me to start the Stormcloak quest line and wouldn't allow me to simply deliver the message from the Greybeards regarding a peace summit. This doesn't sound right to me. Now it still tells me to give him the message, but when I try to talk to him he says "so-and-so gave you a task, so go do it", which is the first task in the Stormcloak quest line. Wtf?

Odd...

I did not have that issue. When I talked to Ulfric he was sitting in his throne room. Where was he when you were walking to him? You should not have to join the Stormcloaks to move forward.

It isn't limited to you. I had to fix that using setstage. Although my problem was different, I was on the "take the oath" stage for both parties. Tullius would only ask if I was ready to take the oath, and ignore me otherwise (I suppose a good recruitment tactic, master strategist indeed :p) Who bugs out depends on what stage you are for the recruitment quests, and who you talk to first.

You'll need to search "season unending" at UESP for the commands. The rest of the quest still works if you get past getting them to meet.

okay. well now my game is broken :\

I can't even launch it. Everytime I try to run skyrimlauncher or TESV, it immediately crashes with codes c0000005, 4eb1a8ce

I've tried verifying the local files, but those came up clean. The only thing I can think of is I updated my drivers to ati 11.11b anyone else running these and having issues?

edit: nevermind, a quick restart seems to have cleared the issue

Last edited:

I had the same issue, but with the general on the imperial side. I simply completed the task I was assigned to (clearing out a bandit hideout) and when I returned I was able to talk to him about the peace council.

Thanks for the help, guys. Here's what ended up happening:

After I killed the Ice Wraith (the first task for the Stormcloak stuff) the first time, I was unable to speak to either Ulfric or Galthar (?) about completing the quest. Before, I had first talked to General Titalus or whatever and given him the note, and THEN went back and tried to finish the Ice Wraith thing. Doing this bugged out the game and I couldn't complete that quest nor give the message to Ulfric. I ended up reverting back to a previous save, doing the Ice Wraith thing, then going immediately back to Galthar and turning in the quest. He asked if I wanted to do the oath, and I said "not now". I was then able to talk to Ulfric and give him the letter. So, yes, IMO it is a bug in the game, but it's possible to circumvent it.

Also, I just finished the main quest line. Some thoughts:

Maybe it's because I waited until level 44 to defeat Alduin, but the final battle was SUPER easy. I mostly was able to just stand behind him after using Dragonrend and wail on his tail (lol) until he died. I got hurt a tiny bit but nothing severe. Didn't even use a single potion or healing spell.

Also, the main quest seemed kind of short overall, to me. It was well written and there were some cool parts, but overall I'm glad I didn't expect too much out of it. Not that there isn't a TON of other stuff to do in the game, anyway. So far I've only really completed the main quest and the Dark Brotherhood missions, and a whole lot of random side quests. Still have either the Stormcloak or Imperial missions, the Companions, the Mage's Guild, the Thieves Guild, and possibly the Bard's College stuff to do. Plus, I haven't even explored many of the random dungeons in the world yet.

So for those who have completed the main quest, what decision did you make as far as...
...the Blade's request to kill Paarthurnax?

I opted to let him live, but I was kind of disappointed that there was no alternate solution to this quest other than kill him (and get the Graybeards royally pissed at you), or letting the quest go undone (and have the Blades refuse to talk to you).

So for those who have completed the main quest, what decision did you make as far as...
...the Blade's request to kill Paarthurnax?

I opted to let him live, but I was kind of disappointed that there was no alternate solution to this quest other than kill him (and get the Graybeards royally pissed at you), or letting the quest go undone (and have the Blades refuse to talk to you).

I didn't really make a decision and followed through with completing the main quest. Afterwards, he gives you some advice and then flies away. I tried to attack him at that time but it did a small amount of damage and he just flies away anyway. So I'm not even sure if you can choose to kill him after you complete the main quest or not.

From what I've read about it, killing him allows you to associate with the Blades and you can sell Dragon Bones/Scales to that one guy. Not killing him just gives you that little dialogue at the end. So from a purely gameplay advantage standpoint, it seems like killing him would be the thing to do. The Greybeards get mad at you if you do, and tell you to leave High Hrothgar, but I don't think they will actually attack you and I don't think there's any other missions from them, anyway. If there are, then that might be reason to not kill the dragon, but otherwise I don't see a downside. Can anyone else comment?

EDIT: It appears that each side (Greybeards and Blades) have misc. quests that you can do depending on if you kill Paarthurnax or not. If you kill him, you can do Blade quests which involve them giving you locations of dragon burial sites to go kill, and apparently you can sell dragon bones/scales to that Blades guy. If you don't kill him, the Greybeards will tell you the location of other Words of Power. If this is all true, I'd probably just let him live until I got all the Words of Power and then kill him, if possible.

Also, for anyone trying to power level Enchanting, I highly suggest using the Banish enchantment on iron daggers if you have it. It makes them worth something like 1300 gold apiece even when using a Petty Soul Gem to craft. I had been using Absorb Health for awhile, but Banish is about twice the worth. Might as well make a shitton of gold and level Enchant at the same time, right? I just now managed to get 100 Enchanting. Could have done it sooner but I get tired of enchanting iron daggers after awhile.

The max level of enchants even at 100 seems kind of disappointing. I've maxed out the perks other than the Fire/Frost/Shock specific ones, and still they are not that great. From what I hear the only way to get better is to use potions to boost enchanting? Also, are there any items that boost your enchanting skill that you can Disenchant and use on a set of enchanted "enchanting" armor? (lol) So far I haven't found anything.

Last edited:
After you return from Sovngarde, you see the scripted scene where the dragons are gathered around the Throat of the World. After they all fly off, if you leave the area and come back, Paarthurnax should have returned to his perch on top of the word wall and Odahviing will be flying in circles overhead. So he might be killable again that point.

I'm not sure what happens if you use the Odahviing shout against Paarthurnax...

I got that too... but didn't have to do the quests.... I just listened, "yes, m hmm" exited dialogue, immediately initiated dialogue again and had the topics I needed.

Sharing some screenshots. WARNING: some (most) of them are taken in the area that the final boss fight takes place. Not really "spoilers", but if you don't want to know what it looks like then don't look, obviously. A couple of them make good wallpapers :)

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s8.jpg

s6.jpg

Oh, and CHEEEEEESE

s7.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy your backwards flying dragons while you can folks:

Bethsoft said:
This week we released update 1.2 across all platforms, and we’ll be releasing an incremental update next week. We anticipate it will be up on PC first, and then hit PS3 and Xbox 360 later in the week. Among other things, the update will fix issues like magic resistance not calculating properly and the rare, amazing backwards flying dragon. Once the update is released, we’ll share the full release notes.

After the holidays, we’ll continue to release regular updates for the game — through full title updates, as well as incremental “gameplay updates” to fix whatever issues come up along with rebalancing portions of the game for difficulty or exploits. We plan on having a lot of these, not just a few. Overall, you should expect updates to be hitting the PC and Steam earlier and more often, as that’s a process we control. Console updates will follow, as they must be certified and processed by those manufacturers.

- Bethblog

Oh, and CHEEEEEESE
Just add YOL-TOOR-SHUL for the biggest fondue party in all of Tamriel...

So, my game apparently had a total meltdown today. Was playing and my system gave a hard shut down. Rebooted, and somehow my video card driver uninstalled itself. Reinstalled that, had a bit of a fuss getting SLI re-enabled. Once I did, game won't load. I can get into the game, and hit continue, and it just sits on the loading screen till I exit. How fun!

So, my game apparently had a total meltdown today. Was playing and my system gave a hard shut down. Rebooted, and somehow my video card driver uninstalled itself. Reinstalled that, had a bit of a fuss getting SLI re-enabled. Once I did, game won't load. I can get into the game, and hit continue, and it just sits on the loading screen till I exit. How fun!

Sounds like a Nvidia beta to me. I stopped fucking with those a long time ago. Hell I'm still on 280.26.

super-duper enchanting is done by a combination of alchemy and enchanting.
You need to find a fortify alchemy enchantment for the spell, make 4 pieces of armor, wear them will making fortify enchantment potions, take the potions while making a new set of alchemy armor, repeat

Meh...too much work. I'm happy with my 100 Smithing and Enchanting. I think I'm hitting the damage resistance cap anyway (just over 600 armor).

One thing I've noticed after completing the main quest is that several dragons I've encountered afterwards have actual names, rather than just "Blood Dragon" or "Elder Dragon".

I can still kill them in like 6 hits, but...yeah.

Anyone know which containers in the arch-mage quarters is safe storage?

Meh...too much work. I'm happy with my 100 Smithing and Enchanting. I think I'm hitting the damage resistance cap anyway (just over 600 armor).

Physical damage reduction cap is ~570-580 going by memory. Either wiki should have the sure answer.

If they are truly committed to PC patches without waiting for console certification, than I'd say arguably this 1.2 was a blessing in disguise. Personally I haven't encountered any of the issues people are experiencing though.

bethblog said:
Creation Kit — Beginning in January, PC players will be able to download for free the same development tools we used at Bethesda Game Studios to create Skyrim. In tandem with the Creation Kit’s release, we will roll out a new Wiki and videos to help you get started. It also features something we think you’re going to love…

Steam Workshop – We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you’ll have free user content with the push of a button. The Creation Kit will bundle your mod and upload it to the Workshop, where everyone can browse, rate, and flag mods for download. You’ll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone. Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed. Everyone here is really excited about the opportunities and possibilities this opens up for our entire community.

Prefer to use existing modding sites? Not a problem. You’ll still be able to upload/share/access Skyrim mods on fan-created mod sites.

This is huge news though. Although I'm wondering if there are any limitations, such as mod size, content restrictions, format restrictions and etc. Also how it will be presented.

If they are truly committed to PC patches without waiting for console certification, than I'd say arguably this 1.2 was a blessing in disguise.
Until we think back and remember that Bethsoft announced a deal with Microsoft to give the 360 a one month DLC exclusivity over the other two platforms :rolleyes:.

But as long as we get the dev kit coming out in January before any such DLC, we might be too busy with mods to care.

Might just be a bunch of PR fan service but that blog entry makes me feel all tingly inside. :D

so it seems any quest related fixes/patches won't start being rolled out until January at the earliest...

"If we get too aggressive trying to fix a minor issue, we run a risk of breaking something larger in a game like this. To be safe, we are prioritizing code side fixes right now over data fixes. Quest and balance issues are usually data, and those will start rolling in a large way with the January updates"

Luckily I haven't had any game-breaking shit that couldn't be fixed by the console, so I'm not in too big of a hurry. Frankly I'm thinking at the rate I'm playing I'll be done with all I want to do in the game before the big patches start coming out, lol.

Sooo Bethesda will be able to charge people for user-created mods that go on Steam.

wtf.

Sooo Bethesda will be able to charge people for user-created mods that go on Steam.

wtf.

Where did you read this information? I cannot find any specific rhetoric that states they will be a charge at any time for mods. Unless you count an analogy toward the way Netflix delivers movies as a way to discern that they will charge people. :confused:

wtf.

I really don't think they can do that. It is my understanding that any mod would be property of the coder who created it, thus it would be unlawful for Bethesda to sell it like it was theirs. Now charging for the creation tools would be within there rights, and possibly for the use of there mod manager though steam.

But ether of thous ideas would be a destructive decision for the future of Skyrim, and uncharacteristic of Bethesda. Modders will find a way it is what they do and they are good at it. Just look at what mods have already been made.

And to be fair Bethesda has a lot to be gained out of mods, they "fix" things some people don't like for free. It has to be great to know that they can focus on big picture things and still have tweaks and fixes made for them. PC gamers are difficult to please and the only way to come close to covering all the enhancements and changes required to make them close to happy as a community would take a mob of developers that might break there budget. And free "crowd sourcing" of developers can make there life much easier.

wtf.

Where did you get that idea? Steam workshop is just a way of easily organizing mods for games by giving them their own steam page so you can navigate through an organized list of mods and install them right into the game through steam. Half-Life has tons of mods through Steam workshop all free. It's the best thing that can happen to Skyrim.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/news/article.php?id=36

In the announcement about the Creation Kit, Bethesda also shared some information about the broken 1.2 patch. An "incremental update" will be coming next week for PC (end of that week for consoles) that fixes issues such as the non-function elemental resistances (already fixed by SKSE) and backwards-flying dragons. No word on what else, if anything, will be fixed.

Creation Kit due in January, another patch next week: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/883638-skyrim-creation-kit-due-january-new-patch-next-week

SKSE: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1288179-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse/

^^ I didn't realize the Script Extender was already off the ground. Sweet!

Bethesda also mentioned that their current focus is on "code" fixes, with "data" fixes (such as to quests) waiting until January at the earliest. You can also read their non-apology for patch 1.2:

We all know this is a huge game, and everyone has a different experience. We’ll continue to do everything we can to make the game better and better for as many people as possible every day. We’ve also realized that with the millions upon millions of people playing Skyrim, we need to treat our updates with greater care. If we get too aggressive trying to fix a minor issue, we run a risk of breaking something larger in a game like this.

Haha "we run a risk of breaking something larger in a game like this". Yeah, do be careful, guys. You've already made a pigs ear of the first patch...

I used to wait for news on when the creation kit would be made available, then I took an arrow in the knee.

The Safe is the only one I've found, lost a sword and a helmet to the chest near the bed

Sad news. I have been more than lucky I guess, I haven't lost anything. I have gone as far as to store things in sacks on the floor in the arch-mage quarters.:confused:

Back