Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

I formatted my boot drive last night and reinstalled Windows 7 fresh to try and alleviate my CTD problems. Steam of course patched Skyrim but I used my old exe files that I backed up. Long story short, the fresh install of windows didn't do me any good at all. I know it's only a game, but I really wanted to keep playing. I've been losing interest in gaming in little bits over time, but now I'm just really sad and frustrated. I don't think I feel like starting over, hopefully that will change...

I formatted my boot drive last night and reinstalled Windows 7 fresh to try and alleviate my CTD problems. Steam of course patched Skyrim but I used my old exe files that I backed up. Long story short, the fresh install of windows didn't do me any good at all. I know it's only a game, but I really wanted to keep playing. I've been losing interest in gaming in little bits over time, but now I'm just really sad and frustrated. I don't think I feel like starting over, hopefully that will change...

I figured it wouldn't. Your Windows install wasn't and isn't the problem.

I hope you didn't take down patch 1.2. It's got new issues of its own.

I figured it wouldn't. Your Windows install wasn't and isn't the problem.

I hope you didn't take down patch 1.2. It's got new issues of its own.

Well, the patch only updated two or three files. I removed the exe for version 1.2 and dropped my old one back in. I'm not a noob at stuff like this, but I really don't know what to do. I built this nice computer and it's hobbled at nearly every turn, either with DRM from games or by lousy patches like this one. Steam is at the center of it all in most cases.

It sounds whiny but at the moment I'm unemployed and life isn't so great, and Skyrim was a nice distraction while it lasted. It's too irritating to deal with at this point. Could it be my overclock? No other game in recent memory went tits up like Skyrim while I was overclocked. I have an intel i5-2500k gently overclocked to 4400 mhz. I'm using the Corsair H100 for a cooler. *shrugs*

Well, the patch only updated two or three files. I removed the exe for version 1.2 and dropped my old one back in. I'm not a noob at stuff like this, but I really don't know what to do. I built this nice computer and it's hobbled at nearly every turn, either with DRM from games or by lousy patches like this one. Steam is at the center of it all in most cases.

It sounds whiny but at the moment I'm unemployed and life isn't so great, and Skyrim was a nice distraction while it lasted. It's too irritating to deal with at this point. Could it be my overclock? No other game in recent memory went tits up like Skyrim while I was overclocked. I have an intel i5-2500k gently overclocked to 4400 mhz. I'm using the Corsair H100 for a cooler. *shrugs*

Gamebryo based games are notoriously bitchy when it comes to overclocks.

What you're saying here, though, if I read you right, is that this game is not the only one you're having problems with.

Nice hardware, I'm assuming your BIOS and drivers are all up to date...if that's all true then for the sake of grins, I'd temporarily disable your overclocks and see what that does for you.

Launch Skyrim with this (he keeps updating this so keep tabs on it): http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

No wild .ini tweaks...

If you're having instability issues in general then at some point we're headed down the Prime 95/ Memtest road and all that good stuff because it might be hardware related if you're being affected in just about everything you do.

I worded that incorrectly. Skyrim is my only game being a bitch. I was more referring to the 'paying customers get shafted' line of reasoning. I'll disable my OC, I guess. Couldn't hurt.

Also, and I probably mentioned this in another thread, but I am using Monochrome's 4gb loader and have been since it was made. Finally, my ini files are brand new.

It's so weird, I haven't had one crash in Skyrim since getting the game. Had a few times where I got stuck in a menu and had to restart the game, and one time my character got stuck about 2 feet off the ground for no apparent reason, but no actual crashes.

Ok, I downloaded a save file from the nexus a few days ago when experimenting. I just copied the saves back into my current save folder and gave two of them a try. The starting save at the execution block tells me that it's looking for content that isn't present. It didn't do that to me yesterday, and I'm using all the plugins and dll files I had then. The other thing is, the next save file that I made myself on my old windows install which is in Helgen Keep doesn't say there's content missing, but trying to load it results in an immediate CTD with no log file evidence. Just crashes.

EDIT: Yeah, it looks like any saved game I downloaded off the nexus with no major mod requirements will load. Anything I made on my own hard drive with the same setup mod-wise immediately crashes. FML.

Last edited:
I tried to replay Oblivion before Skyrim came out using some old 50+ hour saves I had. I installed the game, and the saves worked fine. Started adding some mods, and all of a sudden the saves wouldn't work. So I tried removing the mods, same thing, wouldn't load. Completely removed the game and all files, reinstalled fresh from Steam...saves still wouldn't work (and these were totally fresh backup saves).

I spent like 4 hours trying to get that shit working and never could. Eventually I just said fuck it and waited for Skyrim. I never did any .ini tweaks or anything in Oblivion, either. Just for whatever reason my saves refuse to work now entirely. It makes no sense.

I guess I'm trying to say, I sympathize with your situation. :(

I'm reading that if you have Val's something or the other mod, you'll be boned. Remove that mod, you should be OK for the patch. However, there is the major issue of resistances reportedly being reset to 0%, so that's game-breaking if true.

just played a bit with the new patch...the biggest change I noticed was that the 'Esc' key now automatically takes over from the 'Tab' key...I had gotten used to the Tab function but now I have to readjust to using the 'Esc' key...game doesn't even give you the option of remapping it...should have been 'Esc' from the beginning but it's annoying to have to readjust after 75+ hours

just played a bit with the new patch...the biggest change I noticed was that the 'Esc' key now automatically takes over from the 'Tab' key...I had gotten used to the Tab function but now I have to readjust to using the 'Esc' key...game doesn't even give you the option of remapping it...should have been 'Esc' from the beginning but it's annoying to have to readjust after 75+ hours

autohotkey is pretty useful for this. I had my numpad '\' key mapped to 'tab', changed it to 'esc' now that I'm running 1.2. Obviously I'm a numpad user, but autohotkey is good for any setup.

As far as 1.2, I have to admit I was nervous it would break - I have a bunch of graphical mods (detailed faces, no blocky faces, high res eyes, high res furniture, high res water, and other stuff) and play with ugridstoload at 9, and surprisingly I didn't have any major issues. Game froze for about 5 seconds a while after I came out of riftend, but then resumed playing ok. Will have to do more testing later, but seems ok.

As far as 1.2, I have to admit I was nervous it would break - I have a bunch of graphical mods (detailed faces, no blocky faces, high res eyes, high res furniture, high res water, and other stuff) and play with ugridstoload at 9, and surprisingly I didn't have any major issues. Game froze for about 5 seconds a while after I came out of riftend, but then resumed playing ok. Will have to do more testing later, but seems ok.

I played for about an hour with the new patch and also havn't experienced any new issues...I do notice that when I quicksave that the screen sometimes flashes for a quick nanosecond which didn't happen before...havn't encounted any dragons post 1.2 patch so I'm curious if they all still fly straight :D

LOL. So I had killed a frost dragon in Solitude before leaving to do some quests. I thought it was pretty awesome looking with the dragon bones right in the town square and was hoping they would stay there.

Well, I leave for a while and come back for the wolf queen quests. I go to the square to see if the skeleton is there, but nope, it's gone. Bummer I say. When all fo the sudden, a dragon skeleton falls from the sky and lands square on my head. WTF?

That is dumb. While I'm glad the escape key works like it should have from the start taking away a function of the tab key after so many of us got use to it is just stupid.

I just want to find this game's version of the Mudcrab Merchant. I need someone with more than 1k gold!

I just want to find this game's version of the Mudcrab Merchant. I need someone with more than 1k gold!

You can get there with speech level 100 and a bunch of perk points. I cant say if its worth it, but it is an option.

Do the thieves guild quests also, the fences will usually have more than 1k.

Once you work through the Thieves guild quests and start improving the Ragged flagon area the girl (can't remember her name) that acts as a fence and gives you your armor has more and more cash available. I think she had around 4k the last I used her.

Hi, how do use shouts om this game? i got the first one and when i select it from the inventory, it doesnt apply it and therefore cant use it? i notice that when its highlighted from the inventory menu, at the bottom right hand corner it says 0 dragon souls? what does this mean? do i need to get dragon souls? if so, how? i need to use the shout on a quest where i got to use and demonstrate this shout ability to someone from High Hrothgar.

the shout ability is called unrelenting force.

Ok, I downloaded a save file from the nexus a few days ago when experimenting. I just copied the saves back into my current save folder and gave two of them a try. The starting save at the execution block tells me that it's looking for content that isn't present. It didn't do that to me yesterday, and I'm using all the plugins and dll files I had then. The other thing is, the next save file that I made myself on my old windows install which is in Helgen Keep doesn't say there's content missing, but trying to load it results in an immediate CTD with no log file evidence. Just crashes.

EDIT: Yeah, it looks like any saved game I downloaded off the nexus with no major mod requirements will load. Anything I made on my own hard drive with the same setup mod-wise immediately crashes. FML.

And you are getting the same problems on new play throughs? Or only if you reload your initial character?

I wish my mouse would let me map my top thumb button to be M1 + M2... so I would not have to hold down those buttons for a dual cast all the time. That shit gets repetitive. Maybe I'll setup something in AutoHotkey or my G15

I married the sister of the guy who owns the Rivenwood Trader. Every time I go to the Rivenwood Trader, he has 10k gold. Not sure if that's coincidence or what.

did anyone put any points into speech? It is inevitable that speech will level as you sell things and persuade or intimidate people, and it is useful for RP purposes, but it does make the game more challenging. Every time my speech goes up I cringe, because i know that while i was babbling, my enemies were getting stronger.

Side note: i finally have gotten to the point where bandits cower and hide from me. pretty cool feature.

I put points into speech to be able to sell my stolen items anywhere I want. I think I did the bare minimum to get to that perk.

As for levelling, I really don't think it levels so fast for it to matter. It takes 10 points to make a level, and I've never gone up more than once or twice while in town. In fact, I trained Speech more than anything. When I finally finished, my training costs were 4200 per skill point. I'm still not even at maxed Speech since then.

And you are getting the same problems on new play throughs? Or only if you reload your initial character?

If I use a fresh save from someone else's game, like from the nexus, and start using it and making new progressive saves, those new ones seem to get corrupted...

So far at level 42 I can say one thing...don't bother trying to force-level Lockpicking. I think I'm at like level 75 for that from just playing the game normally. I haven't even tried to lockpick anything I wasn't supposed to, like random peoples' houses at night or anything. Haven't put any perks into it, either. The only ones that I would consider hard are the Master level ones, and that's only because the picks break so easily when you try to "feel it out" and find the sweet spot. 3-4 taps and the pick breaks.

isn't there a perk for lock picks not to break? So you can just get that perk and not even have to level up lock picking the rest of the way...

Hi, how do use shouts om this game? i got the first one and when i select it from the inventory, it doesnt apply it and therefore cant use it? i notice that when its highlighted from the inventory menu, at the bottom right hand corner it says 0 dragon souls? what does this mean? do i need to get dragon souls? if so, how? i need to use the shout on a quest where i got to use and demonstrate this shout ability to someone from High Hrothgar.

the shout ability is called unrelenting force.

Is the first rank greyed out? You have to have killed a dragon in order to get the first rank of this, and the sould captured from the dragon unlocks it. You use it by pressing whatever button is associated with "Powers".

isn't there a perk for lock picks not to break? So you can just get that perk and not even have to level up lock picking the rest of the way...

I think that is the last perk in the tree or something ridiculous.

Honestly, unless you are gifting yourself skill points, it would be foolish to spend any perks on Lockpicking. You can pick any lock you want at a skill of 10, perks just make it more efficient and quicker. I would much rather spend my points on something that has a combat effect or something than to just save time lockpicking. I just try to buy lockpicks whenever I see them, and I always end up with 100+ on hand. Sometimes master locks can be a PITA, but I always unlock them.

lol at 70 hours and I still have over 150 lockpicks... :eek:
How to pick any locks contains quest spoiler:

Skeleton Key, obtained during the Thieves Guild quest line. You can keep it if you want (but you can't finish the quest chain) -- It's a lockpick that never breaks.

And no I didn't use that.
I manually pick locks the normal way and still have over 100 of them. :/

I think that is the last perk in the tree or something ridiculous.

Honestly, unless you are gifting yourself skill points, it would be foolish to spend any perks on Lockpicking. You can pick any lock you want at a skill of 10, perks just make it more efficient and quicker. I would much rather spend my points on something that has a combat effect or something than to just save time lockpicking. I just try to buy lockpicks whenever I see them, and I always end up with 100+ on hand. Sometimes master locks can be a PITA, but I always unlock them.

I agree. It's like they wanted to make it so that people who didn't want to go lockpicking woudln't be locked out of places, but... that sort of defeats the purpose of ever spending points in the tree.

I can't wait for a perk overhaul to get rid of all the stupid things beth chose to do ^_^

Is the first rank greyed out? You have to have killed a dragon in order to get the first rank of this, and the sould captured from the dragon unlocks it. You use it by pressing whatever button is associated with "Powers".

yea pressing Z worked.Another question. Where can I find a link to where all the merchants are? Got a ton of stuff to sell like mage armours.

Also, where is a good abandon place where i can stash lots of gear without it being stolen?

I un-did my OC settings and went back to stock. Same exact bullshit. It's really hard to be happy about such a great game when this keeps happening.

Cliffs:

New windows install
Fresh Drivers
Stock clock speeds
with or without mods

FML.

I do see a log file in the skyrim folder called (very appropriately) log.log
Inside, all it says is "Redirecting CreateDevice" and nothing else. The timestamp is exactly the same moment I get spit out of the game. Any ideas?

yea pressing Z worked.Another question. Where can I find a link to where all the merchants are? Got a ton of stuff to sell like mage armours.

Also, where is a good abandon place where i can stash lots of gear without it being stolen?

I've been using Breezehome in Whiterun since the start of the game when I first got it and I've never had gear stolen out of my chests. I use one chest for ingredients (the one near the alchemy station) and the one upstairs for everything else.

I'm not sure where these reports are coming from of items being stolen from homes but I've never seen it happen after however many hours of playing (level 42, almost 43).

Also regarding merchants, I would get your Speech up enough to get to the perk that allows you to sell any item to any merchant (except stolen). Totally has been worth it so far IMO. I'm thinking about putting more perks into Speech so that I can invest in merchants. Probably will just stop there since I don't end up stealing very much anyway. I have over 100k gold (haven't bought all the houses yet, though) so I'm not that worried about money.

One of my staves disappeared off the weapon rack (Solitude house).
Haven't lost anything else though. :/

Someone on Reddit told me that weapons on racks sometimes "float" up into the roof, so it's probably inside the ceiling. I could use noclip to get it, maybe.

Don't max out smithing and enchanting unless you want to ruin your experience. The fucking items you can make are so retardedly overpowered that they make the game boring to play. Nothing poses even the slightest challenge anymore with most enemies dying in a single normal hit from ubermaxed Daedric sword that deals 500 damage a hit.

Back