Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

The funny thing is, there's no real reason to use mage robes or light armor if you level up Enchanting and Smithing all the way. You can just enchant a bunch of heavy armor to have magicka regen or spell cost reduction and get the same benefits as anything else. Kind of broken really, but nice to know if I want to change to magic later on I can.

One thing though...Which Enchanting perks are worthwhile? I'm at level 28 or so and still trying to level up Smithing all the way as well as Heavy Armor. Is it worth it to dump into the first perk (+20% bonus to new enchants per rank)?

I think I'm at like level 40 or so Enchanting but my enchants are still pretty shit, even with Grand souls.

Some enchantments just seem lack luster no matter what you do. With level 100 enchanting and level 100 alchemy will both perk sets completely unlocked the best fortify smiting enchantment I could get make when using the best fortify enchantment potion i could make was still only 29% improved smiting. It just happens to stack well. 4 items at 29% plus one potion with plus 130% improved smiting gave me + 246% on top of my level 100 smiting. No one enchantment pushed this too far, its the combination of them all that takes you to ludicrous speed. (And yes my armor is plaid) :D

But the most broken thing is when you combine enchanting, alchemy, and smithing. I mean technically can't you make alchemy potions that +enchant, than enchant +alchemy gear, and constantly go back and forth in a cycle (until I assume hitting a cap of some sort)?

It is vary broken. But I find it funny. And lucrative the armor and damage effects may be capped but the value of my armor sky rocketed with the increased rating. If nothing else over improving items can increase profits.:D

Hmm..so I found a mod that would set encgantig/smithing/alchemy at 100.

Im debating tether to use it or not. On the one hand, I don't really like cheating, on the other, making daggers, finding soul gems, and enchanting them is really tedious grinding, and I only get to play for maybe 2 hours a night.

I can't decide. Maybe Ill just do the smithing/enchanting, and not the alchemy. I have fun trying different ingredients with each other to see what happens. I don't have fun running all over skyrim buying iron ingots.

Hmm..so I found a mod that would set encgantig/smithing/alchemy at 100.

Im debating tether to use it or not. On the one hand, I don't really like cheating, on the other, making daggers, finding soul gems, and enchanting them is really tedious grinding, and I only get to play for maybe 2 hours a night.

I can't decide. Maybe Ill just do the smithing/enchanting, and not the alchemy. I have fun trying different ingredients with each other to see what happens. I don't have fun running all over skyrim buying iron ingots.

Free advice: don't do it. The game is already too easy on default difficulty. I got my smithing up to 80 to make ebony gear, got all ebony armor + 2 ebony swords with fire+stamina drain enchantment (low enchantment skill, like 30-40), and I one or two hit kill almost 90% of enemies in the game. Playing at level 34 now. Setting those things to 100, I imagine you would simply be a god in skyrim.

Last edited:
I crafted a full legendary dragonscale light armor set as soon as I hit 100 smithing, slowly grinding it up through 25 levels; with the first two light armor perks my armor went from 20 (in cloth) to 225.

Now my mage can tank frost trolls while hosing them down with fire. It made for a more meaningful play experience to have to work up to this point, payback time for all those moments when I was eaten by a troll.

It's pretty ridiculous that this is only a fraction of what I could do, though. Including enchanting 25% onto all four armor pieces for no mana cost spells or using alchemy potions to buff skill and craft items of unbelievable power.

Few random screens I wanted to share. Some of the improved water/night sky/world texture mods are looking pretty good so far!

TESV_2011_11_20_22_21_52_891.jpg

TESV_2011_11_21_21_08_38_140.jpg

TESV_2011_11_22_16_56_18_359.jpg

TESV_2011_11_22_17_34_27_102.jpg

TESV_2011_11_22_17_54_07_786.jpg

Sure - the game is set to ultra with all of the visibility options taken down a little bit (about a sixth of the way). Distant object quality set to medium. All water reflections turned on. 8xAF 4xAA. Framerates on my setup hang on around 55fps on average, dipping down to 40fps in the most intense scenes. 100% playable.

Mods:

Landscape textures: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=679

Improved water (looks pretty amazing in action): http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=711

Font replacement (I use Tara Type - although any of the fonts in this pack look better than the default Skyrim fonts): http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=95

Better night sky mod: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=243

Better Trees: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=141

Last edited:
I am in love with this game. Graphically, it may not be BF3. However, the overall atmosphere and style is so awesome. Every other aspect stands out in a similiar way. It may not reinvent the wheel, but it's just well done awesomness.

full deadric gear is stupidly over powered. i didnt even do the full enchant/smith thing. full gear at 28% increase on smithing, and a +15% enchant potion, and that was it.

i just stood in a circle of 2 giants, 3-4 mammoths (couldnt get a good count) and 1 frost dragon. and lived. this was on expert, by the way.

13CD87443D98F0FA68FDBB60B6D0F668BF4F5E6B

24BAB7B663F3A615EF1C865875073758FA4C74D1

BDF7C16075D3325C128DB1ABF364E40C07E1683C

Last edited:
unlimited daedric arrows trick

1 . give 1 to a companion
2 . Start finding daedric arrows on corpses everywhere

I was reading UESP and it looked like Daedric armor is more powerful than Dragonplate? Yet you only need smithing at 90 to get Daedriv vs. 100 for Dragon. Doesn't really make any sense.

Granted, it seems like Daedric hearts are harder to get than Dragon bones/scales, but still.

unlimited daedric arrows trick

1 . give 1 to a companion
2 . Start finding daedric arrows on corpses everywhere

Yeah, I've done this with several arrow types. Oddly enough, I will sometimes find that she has picked up other random arrows of various types.

I was reading UESP and it looked like Daedric armor is more powerful than Dragonplate? Yet you only need smithing at 90 to get Daedriv vs. 100 for Dragon. Doesn't really make any sense.

Granted, it seems like Daedric hearts are harder to get than Dragon bones/scales, but still.

if you do the mehrunes dagon quest, theyre damn near unlimited. 2 deadra are almost always outside the temple, and another 2 inside. kill em, harvest em, and come back in a few days to repeat the cycle.

The Dragonplate ability allows both light armor and heavy armor smithing, the light variant has higher armor than glass.

Dragon materials are available from level 1, whereas Daedric materials are based based on your level.

Dragon heavy has lower weight.

The armor rating doesn't really matter at the end. You will hit the damage reduction cap even with much lower end armor. Right now I am using Ebony for instance. Thinking about switching to Steel Plate for the looks as well.

Also doing this as a self restraint method, if the armor can hit the damage reduction cap, I stick with a weapon from that material class, that means my weapon is not overpowered.

Actually thinking about this some more, I've come to the conclusion that the game "balance" is fine. The game is setup more so to accommodate a very sand box play style, so you can play the way you want, than focused on "balance." This means you can play the way you want, if you want to play a Iron armor looking warrior it is viable, if you want to play a super warrior via min/maxing, that is your choice and possible as well. Basically the ultimate freedom, more so than even previous TES games for character builds.

So basically for example if I roll a new thief type character, I can use light armor just because I want to and I think it fits my character. I don't have to worry about how viable it is.

Game is actually less broken than Oblivion (100% chameleon) and Morrowind (100% dodge/constant self heal) in terms of power gaming.

Actually thinking about this some more, I've come to the conclusion that the game "balance" is fine. The game is setup more so to accommodate a very sand box play style, so you can play the way you want, than focused on "balance." This means you can play the way you want, if you want to play a Iron armor looking warrior it is viable, if you want to play a super warrior via min/maxing, that is your choice and possible as well. Basically the ultimate freedom, more so than even previous TES games for character builds.

So basically for example if I roll a new thief type character, I can use light armor just because I want to and I think it fits my character. I don't have to worry about how viable it is.

Game is actually less broken than Oblivion (100% chameleon) and Morrowind (100% dodge/constant self heal) in terms of power gaming.

I agree. The skill leveling is kind of broken for Smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy (i.e. illogical) but any other way would have been extremely time-consuming and frustrating.

The Dragonplate ability allows both light armor and heavy armor smithing, the light variant has higher armor than glass.

Dragon materials are available from level 1, whereas Daedric materials are based based on your level.

Dragon heavy has lower weight.

The armor rating doesn't really matter at the end. You will hit the damage reduction cap even with much lower end armor. Right now I am using Ebony for instance. Thinking about switching to Steel Plate for the looks as well.

Also doing this as a self restraint method, if the armor can hit the damage reduction cap, I stick with a weapon from that material class, that means my weapon is not overpowered.

True, but it just seems kind of silly that Daedric is not at the top of that based on stats.

I hope some one makes a mod that swaps Daedric smithing with Dragon just so people will stop whining about 1 perk they feel is off a space in the tree.

Some more screens I thought were pretty cool:

TESV_2011_11_22_23_32_10_302.jpg

Thought this one was funny...joining the dark brotherhood...the blood, the way my character looks. Reminds me of a movie or something lol:

TESV_2011_11_22_23_59_10_162.jpg

TESV_2011_11_23_00_12_36_014.jpg

TESV_2011_11_23_00_59_35_829.jpg

The moon from star trek being sucked into a black hole:

TESV_2011_11_23_01_22_07_548.jpg

well if your wondering, you can shoot the birds out of the sky, i just downed a hawk lol

edit : just noticed with lydia on a short leave the games difficulty seemed to balance itself out for me alone, the overall health seems to increase based on whether you have a companion

Last edited:
Q51 - how high can you get the Destruction and Magicka Regen enchants with your super armor sets? I'm considering using Heavy Armor while I level my magical skills... but I really need the boosts from robes for my spells to be viable.

damn I thought the game had Steam Cloud enabled so I didn't save my game files when I did a reformat...I found out the hard way that it doesn't have it so I had to start a new game...luckily I wasn't too far into the game (around Level 14)

Q51 - how high can you get the Destruction and Magicka Regen enchants with your super armor sets? I'm considering using Heavy Armor while I level my magical skills... but I really need the boosts from robes for my spells to be viable.

I don't know off hand. I have not enchanted armor to have magic boosts. I can give it a shot when I get home. Let me know what enchantments you want and I will try it out take a few screen shots and get back to you.

If you enchant 4 pieces of gear with 25% reduction you can get 0 mana cost in one school of magic.

If you enchant 4 pieces of gear with 25% reduction you can get 0 mana cost in one school of magic.

You can go that road but there might be a cap. There have been caps in damage reduction and magic resist so a cap on cost reduction would fit the theme. That and if you needed to use spells of another type you might be SOL. But duel enchant a mix of cost reduction with magica regeneration and you might have a winning combo. 50% reduction on destruction 25% on restoration and 25% on your pick for a utility school of magic. Each enchanted item with a second enchant boosting total magica or magica regeneration. I think that would make the best overall armor for magic versatility.

I don't know off hand. I have not enchanted armor to have magic boosts. I can give it a shot when I get home. Let me know what enchantments you want and I will try it out take a few screen shots and get back to you.

Mainly just regen, cost reduction, or the combo option. I'm sure Destruction cost reduction max would be the same as the max for Resto, etc. Just wondering how they'd compare to robes.

I want fallout 3/New Vegas weapons in the game.

MODDERS, MAKE IT HAPPEN PLOX

Just play those games instead. That's not what this series or these games are about at all...although I wouldn't halfway mind an optional VATS like component. ;)

Ok, I will give it my best. I will go for duel enchantments for max results, and I will do my best to post ample information for people to replicate my results.

You can go that road but there might be a cap. There have been caps in damage reduction and magic resist so a cap on cost reduction would fit the theme. That and if you needed to use spells of another type you might be SOL. But duel enchant a mix of cost reduction with magica regeneration and you might have a winning combo. 50% reduction on destruction 25% on restoration and 25% on your pick for a utility school of magic. Each enchanted item with a second enchant boosting total magica or magica regeneration. I think that would make the best overall armor for magic versatility.

magic resist caps, but not for school cost reduction. It really is zero mana for master spells. Restoration and destruction are the only ones I spam more frequently. It would be wasteful for me to get conjuration reduction. Actually even restoration isn't frequent enough to t drain my reserves too bad anyways. Just go for the 100% destruction unless you have a different playstyle. It beats regen. The rest go into resists

magic resist caps, but not for school cost reduction. It really is zero mana for master spells. Restoration and destruction are the only ones I spam more frequently. It would be wasteful for me to get conjuration reduction. Actually even restoration isn't frequent enough to t drain my reserves too bad anyways. Just go for the 100% destruction unless you have a different playstyle. It beats regen. The rest go into resists

Interesting... That sounds just a little game braking. But your right with no cap there is no need for regeneration or total magic increases.

Interesting... That sounds just a little game braking. But your right with no cap there is no need for regeneration or total magic increases.

Though once you get past level 35, you'll find out that it's sort of necessary. melee weapon types have much higher damage output than the destruction mage. Enemies will have bloated hitpoints and will shrug off those spells pretty well.

though there is an improved destruction mod that fixes that issue.

Well guys, I'm going away for the rest of the week. It's a good thing. My body is telling me that I need a break from this game. Staying up too late trying to "just do one more thing".

Well guys, I'm going away for the rest of the week. It's a good thing. My body is telling me that I need a break from this game. Staying up too late trying to "just do one more thing".

Yeah I had to force myself back into a 9 PM bedtime last week :p Staying up to do "just one more thing" really hurts my morning run :p

Back