Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Except for FOV and vsync I haven't gotten frisky with my .ini files but it could be a coincidence but since I've gone back to an old habit from especially Oblivion of deliberately NOT loading from auto saves and avoiding quick saves like the plague, I haven't had ONE CTD or problem whatsoever.

Ive been using the quick saves and havent had a single crash or problem yet, only added the fov fix and mouse fix to the ini so far though.

So sad but so fucking true. ~_~

I avoid every site now with a Mammoth icon over it. Seeing Skyrim at an altitude of 20,000 feet taught me that... after getting whacked by a giant that is. :(

I ran across a giant fighting and dragon once and the dragon just got completely destroyed. It wasn't even close, the giant still had about 60% of its health after the fight. Yeah, it was kinda sad.

I'm getting 'quest failed' messages once in a while, I usually just reload the game from before that happens and immediately finish that quest, but what's up with that? It happens usually after I fast travel to some unrelated location, so I guess some quests are timed? I wonder why they felt the need to do that, I kinda don't like that...or are these the randomly generated ones so they don't matter? *possible minor spoiler* One was the fetch a book for the Markoth armorer orc woman.

Never had it happen to me, but I am guessing that maybe the quests that are failing are the randomly-generated gather/clear quests given by non-essential NPCs who've been killed?

Are brawls broken or is it just my luck?

Whenever I have to brawl (IE for a quest, money, etc) once I win and the npc falls to the gorund, it just does nothing, no text pops up, etc. If I hit use on the npc it'll pop up with the text line and the npc will say it, but then it doesn't go forward/I don't get my reward for winning and I have to simply tab out of the convo and that' sthat.

It's like the quest can't continue properly when I win a brawl.

Keep kitting them for a bit after they take a knee.

I ran across a giant fighting and dragon once and the dragon just got completely destroyed. It wasn't even close, the giant still had about 60% of its health after the fight. Yeah, it was kinda sad.
I've seen the exact same thing before.

We should all be glad that the giant population of Skyrim is made up of peaceful (unless provoked...) Mammoth cheese connoisseurs and shepherds with no desire for world domination.

Was shopping in Solitude today and a dragon attacked.
I just went about my business and the guards killed it within 2 or 3 minutes.

I don't see what the big deal is. Dragons are pussies.

I ran across a Mudcrab today, vile creatures.

Mudcrabs are tough little bastards. I don't get why I can take down a wolf in one hit, but it takes 2 or 3 for a dinky little crab.

EDIT: I see what you did there :eek:

A few issues I've found so far:

1) For some reason sometimes when I try to pick up arrows, they will remove themselves from whatever they are embedded in and fall to the ground (with stats showing and everything, whereas when they are stuck in something it just says "Arrow"). When this happens, it says E to pick up, but it is impossible to do so. Bug?

2) When trying to rename enchanted items, I can erase with Backspace but I am unable to type anything (none of the letter keys work). Also a bug?

A side note: I found a note at a small camp, and it said there was a treasure nearby. I found where it was and killed two "treasure hunters". However, in the treasure chest there was like 15 Gold. Seems not even worth it? What's going on?

A side note: I found a note at a small camp, and it said there was a treasure nearby. I found where it was and killed two "treasure hunters". However, in the treasure chest there was like 15 Gold. Seems not even worth it? What's going on?
Bad luck maybe? I think all treasure inside of chests are randomly generated.

Same here....I noticed that there are multiple treasure maps. I wonder what's up with that? Are these the same treasures that are marked with an X on the "premium" map??

I will investigate later.

So what is the deal with dressing your companion? I gave Marcurio some robes and sometimes he's wearing it, sometimes he's not. There's no rhyme or reason to when he wants to wear it versus when he rather wear his usual potato sack. Then I decided to give him my old dragonscale heavy armor set, and he's wearing it all the time. What...

Anyone else have awesome protips like easy money?

I discovered this while levelling smithing, and this is a MADDDD easy way to get money, though it can take a while going around to shops to get said money from the vendors, and collecting soul gems (A bow + Soul trap enchant FTW)

Step 1 - Smith a crap ton of iron daggers.
Step 2 - Enchant said daggers with whatever enchant you have that makes it worth the most money
Step 3 - ????
Step 4 - Profit, lots of profit.

Is there weather in this game? I have played about 10 hours and have yet to see rain. I know it snows up in the mountains, but I kind of expected that to always be going on.

EDIT: According to this there is rain and wind and hail and stuff, but it sounds like its more a "zone" thing.

Is there weather in this game? I have played about 10 hours and have yet to see rain. I know it snows up in the mountains, but I kind of expected that to always be going on.

EDIT: According to this there is rain and wind and hail and stuff, but it sounds like its more a "zone" thing.

I've seen rain twice I think. 25 hours of play with decent exploration.

So what is the deal with dressing your companion? I gave Marcurio some robes and sometimes he's wearing it, sometimes he's not. There's no rhyme or reason to when he wants to wear it versus when he rather wear his usual potato sack. Then I decided to give him my old dragonscale heavy armor set, and he's wearing it all the time. What...

Yeah, for Lydia I wasn't able to get her to wear any armor other than a helmet...

Does anyone experience lots of lag in Whiterun? Whenever my friend goes to it there's tons of lag. He's playing the PS3 version.

yeah there is weather effects. nothing like wondering across the grassland and be in the middle of a thunderstorm.

though we need a mod that adds lightning strikes. you see flashes but theres no actual lightning

One thing that is weird is the seemingly large difficulty disparity between "random" dragon encounters and "quest" ones. I remember once I went up to some peak to fight a dragon for a quest, and it was tough as shit (at level 20 even). Managed to beat it, and then immediately after there was a dragon flying around above me. Shot at it and got its attention, and managed to kill it less than half the time as the other one, and it did WAY less damage per attack (both were fire-breathers). Kind of odd.

This game is awesome. Loving it so much. This game has been on my radar since it was announced, but it has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. Can it be improved with mods? Yes. But it's sooo much better than Oblivion vanilla. Just traveling and looking at the scenery is a joy.

For those of you wearing Heavy Armor, I have a spoiler that's going to make your day. :p

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Steed_Stone

I've been sticking with light armor with my character but damn there's some hot goodies with heavy armor I might just have to swing for anyways.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1280991-do-not-disable-vsync/

Interesting back and forth here about potential downsides of keeping vsync off in this game. Worth considering and possibly experimenting with.
Most of that sounds like conjecture.
The time changes seem random, even when I was playing with Vsync the days were changing at 5 PM. I don't know what time they change now. Also I have a bug with shops opening in the afternoon but this is caused by using the Wait function. And, the physics bugs should happen with Vsync on also.

As far as I can tell, the only CONFIRMED problem with disabling Vsync, is the mouse speed.

Blood on the Ice quest is completely bugged for me. I can't get it to launch no matter what I do. I may just start a new character, or I may wait for the bugs to get fixed and the mods to get made.

I just bought a horse from white run and used it to run up the mountain to get treasure IV. I got there, dismounted, and the horse literally catapulted off the mountain. I was like wtfmate. I got my treasure and ran down to find its corpse there.

Waste of 1000 gold, lol.

For those of you wearing Heavy Armor, I have a spoiler that's going to make your day. :p

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Steed_Stone

Nice! I just found the:

Lover's Stone, which makes all skills increase 15% faster

Most of that sounds like conjecture.
The time changes seem random, even when I was playing with Vsync the days were changing at 5 PM. I don't know what time they change now. Also I have a bug with shops opening in the afternoon but this is caused by using the Wait function. And, the physics bugs should happen with Vsync on also.

As far as I can tell, the only CONFIRMED problem with disabling Vsync, is the mouse speed.

I'm still trying to get this bizarre "shimmering" phenomenon isolated that I see mostly near certain shadows. You all know what I mean? I suspect everyone's seen it.

You can limit your FPS, at least for the mouse speed issue for sure, in lieu of using vsync.

I normally prefer to limit my fps to 60 anyways (prevent fluctuations, more efficient for the GPU due to 60hz monitor, less screen tearing), and the other D3D replacers don't interest me, so the fps limiter is the one I use.

Back