Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

I'll see if I can address all of these at once.

So I bought Skyrim, I'm level 4, just completed the first dungeon, playing as a friggin Dark Elf swordmage.

All i'm going to say is that the UI is horrendous and they need to get some mods for it right away. This game will need some heavy deconsolization. No crashes here, which is surprising for a Bethesda game.

Glad to see you got it, I'm sure you'll have fun with it. They've learned alot from their previous creations.

The UI is a shock to most every player that I've witnessed but the general outcome is adaptation and acceptance. Though you are abnormal in that you can criticize an orange for tasting too orange, so we'll see.

Do the enemies/items scale with your character like in Oblivion?

It has been stated that it is on the same level as Fallout 3, so mostly, no. I am very optimistc about this change, personally.

I will never install Origin.

Is 20 the max level in this game? If so, that seems kind of sucky since there seems to be only enough room to specialize in 2 trees before then.

It is unfortunate about your decision regarding Origin, as is the creation of Origin similiarly unfortunate but that is another discussion.

50 is the 'max' stated level, I believe. Though you can keep leveling beyond that, it slows down considerably.

After spending more time with the menus, I kind of like them after all, but one thing that's frustrating is when you're dealing with a vendor, you want to buy from him, so you click on the menu option to look at say, his Books, but if you don't click the exact word, it takes you back to the dialogue screen, and sometimes, your clicks aren't registering. That needs to be fixed.

I, too, experienced some initial frustration with this; though, it became intuitive as I spent some more time with it. Personally, I click on the vendors name to see all his wares at once.

It honestly feels like they did not put much effort into this PC version, I find it hard to believe this is a PC centric title, it doesn't look like it at all. Once the modders get to work undoing all the damage consolitis put on it, it will be muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better.

While there is no arguement that this is a title that was primarly console centric, there was a definite initiative for the PC. This much is evident from the splash screen and the video options. While there could be more, and will be thanks to modders, they did not leave us in the cold.

It's playable, but barely.

A bit dramatic, opinion to opinion.

Is it just me or is the volume low in this game? I cranked up my sound to hear the dialogue, and when I switched to do something else lol...

Attempt the easily google'able audio fix for Skyrim that involves a frequency change of your sound device. I had a friend make the change and it resolved a similiar issue.

btw, player.additem 000000F 10000000 works just like it did in Oblivion and Fallout, nothing has changed there I guess.

I always make myself Bill Gates cause I don't really like gathering up a bunch of crap to sell to vendors, I'd rather just be rich and get it over with.

I now wish I hadn't taken the time to comment and answer your previous inquiries. Though, that's personal opinion to play a game as it was designed.

EDIT: Now, I'm off to Skyrim.

Cause it's not fun to go into a dungeon, loot everything, return to town, then spend time selling it all, when you can just give yourself all the gold you need to buy everything.

I still have to beat the game, and the game takes long enough without the whole loot everything in a dungeon but walk out with only 500 gold for your efforts bit. I'd rather stick to the action and story than do mundane tasks for gold.
It isnt? I think that is really fun....Do a tough dungeon, return for xp and to sell all the loot you collected. I guess to some people its the adventure of 'getting there' and to some its just getting to the end.

ok, I know how to activate quests, but how come I don't see them on my compass or map? How the hell are you supposed to find out where to go for each Misc quest? The only quests I see on my compass and map are the main ones.

ok, I know how to activate quests, but how come I don't see them on my compass or map? How the hell are you supposed to find out where to go for each Misc quest? The only quests I see on my compass and map are the main ones.

Misc. Quests is a container.

Highlight it, then activate the quest in the body of the menu on the right.

Quick question, might have been answered before, but my PC is sluggish, but I heard the PC version is vastly better then the PS3 version. Am I better off to get the PC or PS3 version?

Quick question, might have been answered before, but my PC is sluggish, but I heard the PC version is vastly better then the PS3 version. Am I better off to get the PC or PS3 version?

360 or ps3 first, then pc. it was developed with console in mind

My estimated opinion is that your system [in your signature block] will run this game on medium settings, which would be a console like experience; With the ability to mod it for future enjoyment.

My vote would be PC.

If it's anything like their previous Elder Scroll and Fallout games, all it does is reduce the damage you do and increase the enemy's hitpoint total.

Easiest: 50% enemy hp; you do 200% more dmg
Normal: normal enemy hp; you deal normal dmg
Hardest: 200% enemy hp; you deal 50% less dmg

I'm guessing if they haven't changed their formula in a decade, they're not doing it now.

Man that's lame, because it's so easily countered with farming. Hopefully their scaling is good.

Im still getting mouse lag even after i turned vsync off and mouse accel. off wtf???

Might be fps related.

I bumped shadow detail down from ultra to high. This gave me ~100% more fps, from 30fps to 60fps and the game is the movement is much smoother now with high sensitivity.

Anyone able to play Skyrim on Eyefinity/Surround? When I launch the game all it gives me is some worthless crap resolutions listed. I've changed the resolution in the SkyrimPrefs.ini but it still won't launch and tells me: Failed to initialize renderer.

Is every freaking game these days designed solely around playing on 720P **** consoles?

the barely playable comments make me laugh. I've been transfixed for 6 straight hours and don't have one major complaint, only niggling little things that don't impact on the experience. the sound levels are probably the biggest things ive noticed, dialog is too distant when you move a little from an NPC

the mouse works fine in the menus and they are not that bad to navigate, you can hot key weapons etc, the mouse feels fine in gameplay. I dont get the problems, there are far worse ports. some people are calling the game a joke lol

Holy shit, I swear only on this forum do I hear so much bitching and moaning. Some of you guys should just quit gaming since you clearly don't like it.

This game rocks so far.

yeah a couple of adjustments to the ini file eliminates most the issues. once the FOV and mouse acceleration were sorted that was me done. its a risk you take buying a game like this on release, better to wait until the problems are ironed out if your sensitive to it. yeah a game should be completely perfect on release but it just doesnt work like that does it

I game is awesome. :D Haven't even played BF3 all day. :eek:

Also, I have zero mouse lag/acceleration running max settings.

yeah a couple of adjustments to the ini file eliminates most the issues. once the FOV and mouse acceleration were sorted that was me done. its a risk you take buying a game like this on release, better to wait until the problems are ironed out if your sensitive to it. yeah a game should be completely perfect on release but it just doesnt work like that does it

I just wonder if Bethesda even tested it on PC at all. Nearly every person who's encountered the game has desired a different FOV, V-Sync off, and the x and y axis to be equal. You'd think if they HAD tested it, they would have realized these things and made the few edits to the INI file themselves before shipping. This way, each one of their PC users would not have to edit a file before having an optimal experience.

Wow guards have really gotten up tight. I got yelled at for littering when I threw an old iron axe onto the ground in town to free up space.

Pretty awesome screenshot

zumweg.jpg

n5ggn7.jpg

I just wonder if Bethesda even tested it on PC at all. Nearly every person who's encountered the game has desired a different FOV, V-Sync off, and the x and y axis to be equal. You'd think if they HAD tested it, they would have realized these things and made the few edits to the INI file themselves before shipping. This way, each one of their PC users would not have to edit a file before having an optimal experience.

its not ideal that we PC users have to go through these tweaks everytime we get a new game but in the case of Skyrim I'm willing to overlook it personally, because its such a great game. as said, there are worse scenarios, I'm just glad the problems are fixable, look at Bioshock (which to me is unplayable on PC), we are still waiting for a mouse acceleration fix!

Dude, buy a console if you can't occasionally edit an ini file. Seriously, if thats the least of your problems I don't see why you are bitching.

My dagger/bow thief is getting kinda boring so I'm thinking of starting over. Those of you playing a spellsword, is it viable to run around with a weapon in the right hand and spells on the left, forgoing the shield entirely? Do you run around in heavy armor, light, or robes?

My dagger/bow thief is getting kinda boring so I'm thinking of starting over. Those of you playing a spellsword, is it viable to run around with a weapon in the right hand and spells on the left, forgoing the shield entirely? Do you run around in heavy armor, light, or robes?

Yes, I'm doing exactly that

I have heavy armor and robes.

received my copy from Newegg...the bonus premium world map is kinda diappointing...I was expecting way more detail...it does feel very sturdy though and not cheap paper quality

Game looks bank on 2560x1600.... just sayin'...

It's not too much of a resource hog either.. it runs really well on my setup.

Fail you just fucking complain for the sake of complaining.

There are some annoyances.. there are some nuances in the UI.. learn to adapt around it.. the left hand right hand setup is why its designed the way it is.

use Q for your quick menu.. from the quick menu hit 1-8 on each of the items.. and bam.. you now have quick keys.. but it's a bit quirky to cycle because you have two hands.. the way they have done it works.. but at the same time.. how fucking often do you need to switch right in the middle of combat for your offhand spell if you're wielding magic and a weapon...? That's already immersion breaking right there. Not making excuses, it's just a fact. Some of the weapon models are great.. some look kinda iffy.. that could use some work. Overall I like it a lot so far... I wish there were some more options for skin tones though..

I'm definitely not the only one complaining about the UI

I played this game on my Brother's PC to test it out for him while he was away...holy shit is the UI awful. I agree 100% with you. Glad I didn't buy it now, instead I will buy the GOTY edition next year that includes all the expansions/DLC + mods will be out by then.

And how come you didn't do what I will be doing? I thought that was your original plan as well...

Does heavy Armor give you a penalty against spell casting? If no, then why NOT wear heavy armor if you plan to be mostly a spell caster?

I played this game on my Brother's PC to test it out for him while he was away...holy shit is the UI awful. I agree 100% with you. Glad I didn't buy it now, instead I will buy the GOTY edition next year that includes all the expansions/DLC + mods will be out by then.

And how come you didn't do what I will be doing? I thought that was your original plan as well...

I wouldn't wait on the game if the only thing stopping is the UI. It ain't THAT bad.

Look. If even FAIL bought the thing...after weeks of wall to wall posts to the contrary as to why he was not going to right on through yesterday... no one else has any excuses any more. ;)

Thats just what I've been doing. I haven't touched a shield. I've been using light armor. Seems to be working out so far.

I wouldn't wait on the game if the only thing stopping is the UI. It ain't THAT bad.

Look. If even FAIL bought the thing...after weeks of wall to wall posts to the contrary as to why he was not going to right on through yesterday... no one else has any excuses any more. ;)

It's not just the UI, although that is a pretty big factor, its also the weird mouse movements. They feel very sluggish and the graphics are really...weird. It kind of reminds of the Rage screen shots I saw, some stuff looks great, while a lot looks like complete shit. I may get it Christmas, but I still think I will wait it out and get it when all the DLC's are included and there are mods to make the graphics/UI better :)

Oh and the map is really fucking useless. This was my map in Oblivion
35969-1-1296077292.jpg

It's an Elder Scrolls game, it's a moral imperative to play them as soon as possible.

Does heavy Armor give you a penalty against spell casting? If no, then why NOT wear heavy armor if you plan to be mostly a spell caster?

Some of the robes I have seen provide some HUGE casting bonuses, like 50% less magicka cost.

I don't believe so no.. but as a caster mobility is really useful. That and the robes I've seen give a great deal of buffs and other incentives.. +30 to magicka on a hood.. 50% magicka regen rate. etc

Some of the robes I have seen provide some HUGE casting bonuses, like 50% less magicka cost.

pretty much this, atleast early game until you can enchant things your self, it is prob hard to find heavy armor with magic enhancing enchants on them.

which means if you want to be a pure caster you are better off in robes.

if you want to be a battle mage and have melee skills also and will be close to the enemy then you will want to wear heavy armor and enchant it when you can.

unless someone has compared casting a spell naked and with armor and seeing if it has the same magicka drain.

Also robes are Lighter than heavy armor so you either need to weight buff with magic all the time to wear it or never be able to loot anything. or waste points in stamina so you can wear the heavy armor and have weight cpacity left for loot

It's not just the UI, although that is a pretty big factor, its also the weird mouse movements. They feel very sluggish and the graphics are really...weird. It kind of reminds of the Rage screen shots I saw, some stuff looks great, while a lot looks like complete shit. I may get it Christmas, but I still think I will wait it out and get it when all the DLC's are included and there are mods to make the graphics/UI better :)

Fair enough.

It's an Elder Scrolls game, it's a moral imperative to play them as soon as possible.

Since when as far as you're concerned? Today? ;)

Since when? It's a moral imperative not to play a Bethseda RPG for at least a year to give modders a decent amount of time to fix the game.

Armor (not just heavy) gives a penalty to magic damage. I'm trying to remember where I saw that info...I think it might have been one of loading screen tips.

I haven't seen any robes that actually give a -50% magicka cost bonus, but I have seen ones that give 50%-75% faster magicka regen.

Oh and the map is really fucking useless.[/IMG]
Yeah the overland map really does not look particularly pleasant. Ok let's be honest here, it's all giant white smear where you can't tell roads apart from rivers.

On the other hand, a classic parchment style handdrawn map wouldn't really work well either in Skyrim because of how mountainous the terrain is - you get no sense of elevation of a location on the map with a flat map. So a 3D map might still be necessary, but the execution right now leaves a lot to be desired.

---

In other news - 10 hours in, and no noticeable bugs so far (apart from the UI annoyances which count more as poor design). Holy hell was Morrowind buggy at release, I still remember numerous instances of falling out of the map into the blue yonder or getting stuck by jumping against ceilings...

Back