Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Ultra looks good, but as a artist, there are some BIG things I would fix up with the environment.

not really much difference at all between Low and Ultra :confused:

No shadows in the distance, dynamic shadow resolution creating banding on the nearest building, waterwheel is not dynamically lit, Detail normals not present, Anisotropic filtering missing, no lashings on wooden fixtures. just the first things that pop up.

Its an across-the-board setting screenshot.

as in low is low AA, low shadows, low textures

medium is medium AA, medium shadows, medium textures...

and so on. Its not isolated like the big [H] does.

the game has dynamic day/night and weather cycles right?...I'm looking forward to seeing that in action

I haven't played it much, but yeah this is better than Oblivion on my first impressions.

the game has dynamic day/night and weather cycles right?...I'm looking forward to seeing that in action
Yeah I've seen rain and fog, but no snow yet. I think it depends on your locale.
The day/night cycle is manipulatable by the player, you can "Wait" and sleep just like the past Elder Scrolls.

For anyone with Nvidia, they put out a new beta driver for Skyrim.

Does it really give any advantages?
I've the latest WHQL driver which has been great, so don't want to "fix something that ain't broke", ya know?

Key binding... wow, I'm damn confused regarding this issue.

I've the game pre-ordered and dl'd, and would love to know exactly what the facts are, sort of "compiled" right now, lol.
Anyone help me (and probably others) out here?

Which keys are bindable? Not 1-8, right? Then which ones, and does it then change what those keys originally would do?
Also, you can only bind things that are already in your Favorites, right?
But that's at least a few things, so if you can use the number keys to bind, then what friggin' keys are you supposed to use that aren't completely in a horrible place, lol?
Also, do you have to still open any menus to use the binds?

Man, I'm friggin' confused with the whole key binding shit right now, lol.

Right between the eyes... nice.

TESV2011-11-1021-11-21-69.jpg

One more note for when everyone jumps into the, selecting Ultra apparently may not automatically turn everything to the highest setting, you will have to use the launcher to manually turn all the sliders etc to their maximum setting.

The only thing I'm seeing in the latest beta driver notes that's related to Skyrim is that they added SLI and 3D vision profiles.

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the graphics in this game, man BF3 has spoiled me

Yeah I've seen rain and fog, but no snow yet. I think it depends on your locale.
The day/night cycle is manipulatable by the player, you can "Wait" and sleep just like the past Elder Scrolls.

And you can set your own timescale (if on PC) with a simple console command (set timescale to ##). IIRC, this used to cause problems with a couple Oblivion quests or NPC work schedules. Not sure about Skyrim.

The only thing I'm seeing in the latest beta driver notes that's related to Skyrim is that they added SLI and 3D vision profiles.

Yea I'm not sure what he was talking about. The latest beta drive for my 260 is older than the latest actual driver.

Just bought the game after telling myself all week that I wasn't going to. There goes my weekend productivity. Now I have 2 hours to get work done, lol.

AHAHHAHA, youw anna steal something and not get caught? Here's a hilarious and simple way to do that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

Not sure what kind of AI Beth uses lol.
LOL!

Next thing to try would be to find an empty barrel (I guess cardboard boxes would be too out of place) to cover yourself with while sneaking. The AI might not notice a random barrel appear out of nowhere in the middle of the room.

Differences in Low, Med, High, and Ultra on PC.

OK, that's... bizarre.

So "high" looks far better than "ultra", from what I'm seeing of those screens and hearing people saying.

Odd, but that's alright... playing on "high" it is, then, I suppose.

LOL!

Next thing to try would be to find an empty barrel (I guess cardboard boxes would be too out of place) to cover yourself with while sneaking. The AI might not notice a random barrel appear out of nowhere in the middle of the room.

Metal Gear Skyrim!!!

Ultra looks good, but as a artist, there are some BIG things I would fix up with the environment.

No shadows in the distance, dynamic shadow resolution creating banding on the nearest building, waterwheel is not dynamically lit, Detail normals not present, Anisotropic filtering missing, no lashings on wooden fixtures. just the first things that pop up.

I see the differences better now after viewing it full screen...definitely a difference but I was expecting a much bigger difference going from Low or Medium to Ultra

here's another group of screenies where the differences are a bit more pronounced but still not what I was expecting (especially when not viewing static images)

Low
lowav.jpg

Medium
mediumii.jpg

High
higho.jpg

Ultra
ultrava.jpg

while i like that th ai uses there eyes to see as shown by the bucket trick it allows a obvious cheat to be used. it lets you loot, kill etc in plain sight with a bucket on anyones head.. unsure how they will fix this aside from making ai heads uncoverable

while i like that th ai uses there eyes to see as shown by the bucket trick it allows a obvious cheat to be used. it lets you loot, kill etc in plain sight with a bucket on anyones head.. unsure how they will fix this aside from making ai heads uncoverable

Who cares. Play as you see fit. If people want to play lame and cheat themselves, let them. I for one won't be putting buckets or baskets over anybody's head.

FYI, you will get SLI support with the latest NV Beta drivers 285.79 - http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.79-beta-driver.html

AMD CFX support is pending. -
CatalystCreator Andrew D
We're working on a CAP update for Skyrim; as soon as an ETA is known I'll let you guys know

So if running NV GPUs I recommend updating to 285.79. If running AMD GPUs 11.10 WHQL plus 11.9 CAP4 is the best at this time.

I'll be playing the game all night :)

So if running NV GPUs I recommend updating to 285.79. If running AMD GPUs 11.10 WHQL plus 11.9 CAP4 is the best at this time.

I'll be playing the game all night :)

I would change that to...if running SLI or 3D Vision I recommend updating to 285.79...otherwise stick to 285.62

Why do you think i'm staying up all night :p check the front page in the morning ;)

You're still posting?? Get back to work!!! :p

lol j/k

I will check it in the morning, I'm eager to see if I'm justified in waiting, or just a fool. Either way should be exciting to see a conclusion of sorts.

Since I know you focus on the graphics as part of your reviews, I'm interested in knowing how bad texture compression has affected the PC Skyrim release, because at 5.8 GB file size, Skyrim isn't much bigger than Oblivion at all (in what it requires for your hard drive space), so that leads me to believe that texture compression is likely to be on the heavy end in the PC version and that we would likely not see improved textures untill modders release their texture packs, notably, Qarls.

If you don't mind touching on that topic in your evaluation, I would deeply appreciate it.

For the record, I have a 5870 in my desktop rig.

Back