Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

A million times this.

I tried firing Morrowind up again this weekend with the Morrowind 2011 pack. Though the graphics are hugely improved, it just can't make up for the clunky interface, the horrible movement mechanics, the excruciatingly slow start, and the incredibly shitty combat. I thought it would tide me over until Skyrim came out, but it's just pissing me off.

I did the same this morning, and I've already played for about 5 hours today. Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of technical problems that are rather frustrating, but otherwise I am enjoying the hell out of it. I'm going to do my best to try and beat through at least the story and the guilds before Skyrim hits. I can probably put 30+ hours into the game by Thursday night if I try, and I need something to pass the time...

We already have seen water that falls through roofs and things where it shouldn't, which is a horrible bug that's been in since Morrowind and MODDERS actually fixed in Oblivion, Beth just seems incapable of doing it.

LOL, still?!!? All this time and I'm still going to see that BS?

Hey guys, Skyrim will be my first TES game and I'm very much looking forward to it! I picked up Fallout 3 on Friday and have been playing that to tide me over and get me in the mindset of an open ended world.

That said, I have a problem... I am a freaking packrat (You should have seen my bank in WoW or EQ when I used to play them). I find myself at full weight every 20-30 minutes. It's so annoying to "have" to go back to town to sell or chuck stuff in a locker in my house in Megaton. Does anyone have any advice on this? I assume there will be a similar system in Skyrim for inventory management. Is it worth hoarding all of the "crafting" stuff?

I am also a packrat in these type of games. My advice: buy the PC version and use mods. Not only will there be weight mods (add more weight capacity for character, bag of holding, etc) but also excellent house mods with plenty of storage.

I find myself at full weight every 20-30 minutes. It's so annoying to "have" to go back to town to sell or chuck stuff in a locker in my house in Megaton. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Very first thing I do in these games is download a UI mod, then an unlimited inventory mod. Advantage of PC Gaming is that you can tweak your game to suit your playstyle.

and a texture mod.....

Hmmm, here's what you can do....

You really want a house. You will want your own place. Without too much given away decide whether you want to do with that nuke in megatron. I assume you quests with two different sides wanting your help with it? Just follow up with either quest branch and you'll get a house to store stuff.

Or

Download this house mod. It really takes care of you... maybe a bit too comfortable if you like the experience of suffering the hardships of the wasteland. As food, clean water, healing, and radiation treatment become easy commodities with this hideout. If you do get the mod, you definitely should get fallout script extender so that the inventory and weapon sorter will do all the management work for you. VERY nice!

Hey guys, Skyrim will be my first TES game and I'm very much looking forward to it! I picked up Fallout 3 on Friday and have been playing that to tide me over and get me in the mindset of an open ended world.

That said, I have a problem... I am a freaking packrat (You should have seen my bank in WoW or EQ when I used to play them). I find myself at full weight every 20-30 minutes. It's so annoying to "have" to go back to town to sell or chuck stuff in a locker in my house in Megaton. Does anyone have any advice on this? I assume there will be a similar system in Skyrim for inventory management. Is it worth hoarding all of the "crafting" stuff?

Dude ditch Fallout 3 and pick up oblivion. Best TES ever! IMHO Of course the launch is only 5 days away so not to necessary but even then it is still a great game.

Yes it is worth hoarding stuff. These games are set up like this However some of the official reviews indicate that the encumbrance is a little easier and better to manage then in the previous TES so it might not be that big of a deal.

It would be cool if you could carry a portable hole with you.

They should also give you the ability to open an extra-dismensional rift to take you home.

Very first thing I do in these games is download a UI mod, then an unlimited inventory mod. Advantage of PC Gaming is that you can tweak your game to suit your playstyle.

Unlimited inventory? I'm all for Modding and fixing up things through "community patches" but that is pure cheating. We PC gamers spend huge amounts of effort bitching about how consoles are "dumbing down" the game industry, yet we have people getting the PC versions to simply download a "Win-button". It's kind of off-putting.

Unlimited inventory? I'm all for Modding and fixing up things through "community patches" but that is pure cheating. We PC gamers spend huge amounts of effort bitching about how consoles are "dumbing down" the game industry, yet we have people getting the PC versions to simply download a "Win-button". It's kind of off-putting.

And there will be PC gamers creating/downloading mods that make the game harder.

And there will be PC gamers creating/downloading mods that make the game harder.

Which is a good thing, showing a level of sophistication apparently present in our community that we are so quick to point out missing in the consoles'. Are you trying to say that our community trying to add challenge to a given game justifies other community member attempts to cheat? If so, then are carpenters given right to destroy houses, given that other members of their community build them?

It's a non issue, really: if it helps you enjoy the game, an inventory mod is hardly a game-breaker. However I lived through the doom3 days when people would download 'duct-tape' mods for the game and then turn around and say it wasn't challenging/scary enough.

The beauty of it, is that it's a choice for each person. If someone chooses to make their own game easier via mods, then let them.
If a game is dumbed-down out of the box, then there's nothing the player can do to fix it. Not console gamers, anyway.

I just assumed all PC gamers prided themselves on customization, both hardware and software.
For anyone to get criticized for their preferences in mods (especially a single player game), I find that offensive to my core beliefs as a PC gamer. Shame.

If you can simplify a game by modding you can increase a games complexity via modding as well. Oblivion has mods which do both.

Take fast travel for instance, which some people claim over simplified travel in Oblivion. Morrowind had mods which simplified travel via teleport rings or more mark/recall slots. Oblivion has mods which remove fast travel and setup a more limited fast travel system closer to Morrowinds.

Am I right in remembering you came out with a few reasonably popular Oblivion mods yourself? The only one I can really remember is the Spartan-style chestplate and helmet.

Unlimited inventory ruins one of the basic concepts of RPG, inventory management and deciding which items are worth keeping and which are not. Unlimited inventory is not something I would want anyway.

Unlimited inventory ruins one of the basic concepts of RPG, inventory management and deciding which items are worth keeping and which are not. Unlimited inventory is not something I would want anyway.

I wouldn't either. Half the fun of looting is having to manage what you can and cannot bring back with you. It's a gameplay mechanic I couldn't imagine removing. It ruins a core part of the game. To each their own I suppose...

Dungons and Dragons (pen and paper) had a magical bag of holding. It's not unheard of in some fantasy RPGs.

From wikipedia:

Code:
A bag of holding appears to be a common cloth sack of about 2 by 4 feet (0.61 by 1.2 m) in size.
It opens into a nondimensional space (similar to a magic satchel) or a pocket dimension, making the 
space larger inside than it is outside. Each bag always weighs the same amount, between 15 and 
60 pounds (6.8 and 27 kg), regardless of what is put into it. It can store a combined weight of up 
to forty times its own weight, and a combined volume of 30 to 250 cubic feet (0.85 to 7.1 m3). 
A living creature put in a bag of holding will suffocate after about 10 minutes.

I've never played D&D, or any RPG where a bag of holding has been feature, but it doesn't sound like it is supposed to have an endless capacity. More like it allows you to run around with three swords, an axe, a bow and arrows, animal meat, several potions, and as many plants as I can get my hands on... which is precisely what you do in every RPG ever made, whether they actually explain how you can carry so much shit or not.

You should get TES Oblivion instead, IMO.

In terms of large sandbox style environment, TES Oblivion wins hands down. There are more variety in its environment. From jungles to snowy mountain tops.

Fallout 3 looks barren and yellowish from one end to the other.

For items carrying, I use a cheating mod that allows us to carry significantly more items, or unlimited. :D There are such mod for Oblivion, for Fallout 3, and there will be for Skyrim. I agree that such cheating kills one of the element of an RPG game, but I feel its just more of a hassle than a fun feature. Its up to you.

There are ways within the game mechanics to carry more stuff... Fortify Strength potions or Feather spells come to mind.

There are ways within the game mechanics to carry more stuff... Fortify Strength potions or Feather spells come to mind.

This, the enchantment system in Oblivion was robust enough to allow you build some pretty awesome gear. A couple of fortify strength items and you carry a huge amount of junk.

If you want to carry a bunch of stuff but do not want to blatantly cheat just download one of the mods that allow you have ten rings in use and get 4-5 fortify strength/feather rings.

I guess D2D is pretty much the best deal on this?

Looks like. I'm still holding out to see if people get their keys before launch to pre-load. My Internet connection is so slow, it would probably take at least a full day to download. Otherwise, I think I'm just going to head to the local Walmart and pay full retail.

Looks like. I'm still holding out to see if people get their keys before launch to pre-load. My Internet connection is so slow, it would probably take at least a full day to download. Otherwise, I think I'm just going to head to the local Walmart and pay full retail.

They had better hand out keys in time for preload... if I don't get to play my game at 12:01AM on Friday, someones going to die.

Yeah I hope they actually preload this for the Digital versions. But I will be happy if they activate the download 11/11/11 at 00:01. I have to work Friday anyways so regardless how bad the servers are getting raped it should be downloaded by the time I get home.

Yeah I hope they actually preload this for the Digital versions. But I will be happy if they activate the download 11/11/11 at 00:01. I have to work Friday anyways so regardless how bad the servers are getting raped it should be downloaded by the time I get home.

For better or worse, I'm not employed. Hell, my wife has a 4-day weekend for Veterans day, and I already told her not to expect to see me :p. I'll be sitting at my computer at midnight ready to go. A few people have said that D2D has always done pre-loads in the past. Their MW3 pre-orders were able to pre-load. I imagine in the next day or so we will get our keys.

For better or worse, I'm not employed. Hell, my wife has a 4-day weekend for Veterans day, and I already told her not to expect to see me :p. I'll be sitting at my computer at midnight ready to go. A few people have said that D2D has always done pre-loads in the past. Their MW3 pre-orders were able to pre-load. I imagine in the next day or so we will get our keys.

With it being a Steamworks game, it should be pre-loadable by Wednesday or so on Steam. However, when D2D sends out the keys is another matter.

From wikipedia:

Code:
A bag of holding appears to be a common cloth sack of about 2 by 4 feet (0.61 by 1.2 m) in size.
It opens into a nondimensional space (similar to a magic satchel) or a pocket dimension, making the 
space larger inside than it is outside. Each bag always weighs the same amount, between 15 and 
60 pounds (6.8 and 27 kg), regardless of what is put into it. It can store a combined weight of up 
to forty times its own weight, and a combined volume of 30 to 250 cubic feet (0.85 to 7.1 m3). 
[B][U]A living creature put in a bag of holding will suffocate after about 10 minutes[/U][/B].

I've never played D&D, or any RPG where a bag of holding has been feature, but it doesn't sound like it is supposed to have an endless capacity. More like it allows you to run around with three swords, an axe, a bow and arrows, animal meat, several potions, and as many plants as I can get my hands on... which is precisely what you do in every RPG ever made, whether they actually explain how you can carry so much shit or not.

i want to know how many people playing D&D on paper put their halfling friends in the Bag of Holding for mouthing off... ok Bilbo roll your d20 see if you survive.

Guess I may as well just buy it directly from Steam.
I am thinking about switching to Steam as well.. final real map doesn't look all that impressive.

I do not recall it being mentioned earlier in the thread, bu the game went Gold on Friday 4 Nov. Seems they really waited until the last minute.

I do not recall it being mentioned earlier in the thread, bu the game went Gold on Friday 4 Nov. Seems they really waited until the last minute.

Teview copies have been out there for nearly two weeks now, the core game was probably gold a while ago. I won't claim to know the way these games are developed, but my guess would be that the North American version was gold a few weeks ago, and from there they started localizing the game to other countries. So the gold that was announced on Friday I believe meant that all regions of the game were officially complete.

Looking back at the previous TES games, they're probably squashing bugs by the thousands on the "gold" release right now.

Teview copies have been out there for nearly two weeks now, the core game was probably gold a while ago. I won't claim to know the way these games are developed, but my guess would be that the North American version was gold a few weeks ago, and from there they started localizing the game to other countries. So the gold that was announced on Friday I believe meant that all regions of the game were officially complete.

That is what I thought too, per the Bethesda Software blog, it went gold on 11/03 Bethblog although "worldwide" gold appears to be correct.

Back