Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Am I the only one that will not be playing this right away?

The main reason is being I am a huge BF fan. So I will probably dedicate the first 6 months after release to BF3, wait for Skyrim to get the mod community going, and DLCs, and then see what is the best way to play the game.

Me too. All my free time will be spent playing BF3, but I also hope to play this game sometime in the future. I still have The Witcher 2 to play...

Probably. ;)

Ain't gonna stop me. In fact, BF3 and Skyrim will be perfect "complements" to each other for me. Two completely different games to switch back and forth to and from.

That's EXACTLY my way of playing games! Its very hard to get bored with any game when you can switch to something fresh at any moment. With that said...I don't care whether there's anything good to switch to or not - ill be playing skyrim on day one like a boss :p

My buddy and i watched all the footage we could find on the game last night, and most of my earlier concerns i'd voiced i don't think are really founded anymore. The game looks fucking sweet and it will definitely be amazing out of the box--especially if you play it with a controller.

The one thing i hope, is that they release a different UI for the PC, as well as have better textures too.

Even if they don't, mods will be sure to do that in short order.

It's hard to tell how the perk system is going to play out--i really hope that it adds the variety to combat that the games have been lacking--they haven't spent any time showing what they do or how they're used...so it's impossible to tell!

If it doesn't add that variety, then i'm certain there will be a combat mod down the road to add timed blocking, parrying, shield bash, and hopefully kick too. It'd also be nice to see localized damage, because those videos of archery where he's one-shotting dudes by just shooting center mass... bah!

Still tho, can't wait for launch day ^_^

I highly doubt the perks will add much depth or complexity to the combat, which really is unfortunate. Combat like that new Age of Chivalry game would be absolutely fantastic.

Anyways, I hopped on that Newegg pre-order deal for $47, best deal I've seen on a physical copy so far, and I wanted that burlap map!

That's EXACTLY my way of playing games! Its very hard to get bored with any game when you can switch to something fresh at any moment. With that said...I don't care whether there's anything good to switch to or not - ill be playing skyrim on day one like a boss :p

Totally agreed. BF3, Skyrim, and LoL will keep me busy regarding gaming for quite a bit. :D

I highly doubt the perks will add much depth or complexity to the combat, which really is unfortunate. Combat like that new Age of Chivalry game would be absolutely fantastic.

Anyways, I hopped on that Newegg pre-order deal for $47, best deal I've seen on a physical copy so far, and I wanted that burlap map!

I'm sure combat will be much better then vanilla Oblivion's that is for sure. I'm sure the modder's will probably overcome any shortages it has.

posted in the Hot Deals section but I think it's worth a repost here

Newegg is having a pre-order sale this weekend only...$47.99 w/free shipping for PC/Xbox/PS3...use Promo Code: EMCYTZT852

Damnit! I was at a stupid wedding ALL weekend, so I didn't see this. Now it's too late to get that nice price.. BAH.

/waits for next deal

I'm sure combat will be much better then vanilla Oblivion's that is for sure. I'm sure the modder's will probably overcome any shortages it has.

I truely hope for this. Having played many Oblivion mods, I know there will be many fixes from the community to come.

That said, many of the combat mods i didn't think felt that great, and there wasn't the capability for modders to add in localized damage. In this day, games really shouldn't let you kill someone by stabbing their foot.

so yea... here's hoping that the capabilities of the new SDK allow much better stuff!

System reqs are up, and they're pretty low (as was expected).

Minimum
Operating System: XP/Vista/7
CPU: Dual Core 2GHz
Memory: 2GB RAM
Video card: DX9c, 512MB RAM

Recommended
Operating System: XP/7
CPU: Quad-Core Intel/AMD
Memory: 4GB RAM, 6GB HD
Video card: DX9 1GB RAM (GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher)

Anyone else think it's funny that Vista is on the minimum, but not on the recommended?

Minimum

Recommended

Anyone else think it's funny that Vista is on the minimum, but not on the recommended?

Suposedly the recommended settings are for High spec, but there is also a Ultra spec for the game. Also, 6GB HDD seems way off. The article already had several typos they've corrected, but I'm guessing they meant 16GB.

For those of you worried about the UI, relax. I read an article a while back where one of the developer interviews specifically addressed this concern and they said that the PC version will have a higher resolution UI as well as higher res textures.

Hopefully they're not going to pull a Cervet Yearli on us but you never know.

Good news though is that if they do for whatever reason give us a huge low res UI, someone will mod that for a quick fix and if the textures suck, I'm sure the community will fix that as well.

Sauce: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/06/elderer-skyrim-for-pc-detailed-by-bethesda/

Minimum

Recommended

What about hard drive space? Really hoping I can fit this on my 60GB SSD. I'll probably have to uninstall any other game to make room, but I'll do it!

What about hard drive space? Really hoping I can fit this on my 60GB SSD. I'll probably have to uninstall any other game to make room, but I'll do it!

heh, supposedly the 6GB HD.... at first glance I thought it was some strange 6GB of some special type of HD brand of RAM I didn't know about.

This had wanna look good for those specs.
I can max out FOVegas with 7gig texture pack on e8400+4850 1gig, so this should look better than that....

This had wanna look good for those specs.
I can max out FOVegas with 7gig texture pack on e8400+4850 1gig, so this should look better than that....

The specs list isn't anything crazy...not weak but definitely not super demanding.

That said, many of the combat mods i didn't think felt that great, and there wasn't the capability for modders to add in localized damage. In this day, games really shouldn't let you kill someone by stabbing their foot.

I disagree, you can kill someone by stabbing there foot. It just takes a while for them to bleed out...:D I will admit it is not practical and any would be foot stabbing victims will probably only be hindered until treatment is found. Not every one is the Black Knight flesh wounds hurt, and over time damaged limbs can cause people to bleed out.

Admittedly I welcome all improvements to combat, I have been waiting for what feels an eternity for this game. I rebuilt my computer to handle it and this will be my first elderscrolls on PC. I cannot wait to see the difference in graphics and mods over console.

I truely hope for this. Having played many Oblivion mods, I know there will be many fixes from the community to come.

so yea... here's hoping that the capabilities of the new SDK allow much better stuff!

... Actually with the script extender many combat mods have added locational damage, and some have even added dismemberment.

I think my only concern at this point is the object draw distance. Even at max settings, fallout vegas has a PATHETIC draw distance and it seems that when you go into the ini file and edit it to draw more Ugrids to load, it get extremely unstable.

Here is a glaringly bad example of this.

This is default vanilla game with all graphics settings in game set to maximum.

default.png

And this is with the ugrid to load value in the ini set from I think 5 to 11.

highugrid.png

This is just one example but it pretty much kills any sort of realism there may be when you're looking down on these type areas (which are plentiful) and both Oblivion and fallout 3 get crash happy once you bump the ugrid setting up higher than default. The framerate is still 50~60 so it plays well... I'm just scared that this same old gamebryo engine problem is going to pop up with skyrim.

The screenshots of skyrim give me hope that the draw distance for objects will finally be something to truly be worthy of an "ultra" setting but with as flexible as the engine has proven to be in the past, it's always felt like a bit of a cock tease. Like "yeah tweak these settings to see how awesome the engine can scale to your hardware but the minute you do, crash to desktop"

I just fear that we're going to see more of this when we try to push skyrim's engine to scale to not only today's high end hardware but tomorrow's hardware as well.

I'm also hoping the engine can stream in and out more data more efficiently. Since really the way Gamebryo stores memory in ram is not very effective, hopefully they fixed the problems with the creation engine.

Animations and Draw distance and the engine not being able to handle more then 4GB of textures without crashing made the game a little bit frustrating to mod at times.

I'm crossing my fingers that Skyrim will be more robust but either way. I pretty much have to have Skyrim on day 1 and will buy all the DLC simply because the Elder Scrolls games are my favorite game series out there and literally 90% of my pc gaming time or more has been spent on Bethesda's RPG's.

I just fear that we're going to see more of this when we try to push skyrim's engine to scale to not only today's high end hardware but tomorrow's hardware as well.

Agreed.

For Fallout 3 and New Vegas both there are these:

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6769

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40442

Basically these are convenient programs that let you do all the .ini tweaks nice and easy otherwise you know you can hit them manually and you can exceed the "maximum" default settings on a number of things including the draw distance. If you have the hardware you won't have any problems but be conservative when increasing the values past "maximum."

I expect to have more or less the same options in Skyrim. :)

Agreed.

For Fallout 3 and New Vegas both there are these:

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6769

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40442

Basically these are convenient programs that let you do all the .ini tweaks nice and easy otherwise you know you can hit them manually and you can exceed the "maximum" default settings on a number of things including the draw distance. If you have the hardware you won't have any problems but be conservative when increasing the values past "maximum."

I expect to have more or less the same options in Skyrim. :)

I've used both of those and it seems that even the slightest bump up beyond what the in game menu allows you to set will sometimes crash. I don't know if it's just the memory handling or what but at times, I could save the game, walk 2 steps forward and it would crash like clockwork. Re-load the game, 2 steps forward, crash. Repetable as many times as I felt like. Only choice was to turn around in the game and find another way.

The most frustrating part where this occured for whatever reason was when trying to get to the old police station where the mutants had setup a camp. There were 2 ways to get to it and one way would crash every single time I got to a certain spot but if I turned around and went around a hilly area or something and approached from a different spot, I could get there fine.

I experienced the IDENTICAL issue in spots in Oblivion/shivering isles.

I recall though my 2nd play through of vegas, I didn't touch the graphics in the INI file and it loaded up the police station area fine where it was crashing before.

I think my only concern at this point is the object draw distance. Even at max settings, fallout vegas has a PATHETIC draw distance and it seems that when you go into the ini file and edit it to draw more Ugrids to load, it get extremely unstable.

Once you change uGridstoLoad, if you try to load a save that has a different setting the game will crash. There is a way around that however.

Once you change uGridstoLoad, if you try to load a save that has a different setting the game will crash. There is a way around that however.

I started an oblivion play through from the very beginning of the game with no saves with a higher Ugrid and it still crashed :(

As far as the save game rule goes, I was under the impression that you could load a save game, change the ugrid distance and then set it there from then on but you couldn't then go back and load one of those saves and try playing with the ugrid setting lowered back down.

that and I think I recall seeing where you couldn't set the ugrid distance more than 13 or something like that and it had to be an odd number.

Either way, I've beaten the daylights out of both oblivion and fallout 3/vegas so I'm not concerned about them any more. My hope is that this isn't a problem for skyrim.

This is NMC texture pack 1920x1200 4aa+15af......

Game looks better in the flesh with lighting quality.

Look at how Cass looks compared to people in Oblivion.

Btw, u might get a pop up if u click these images.....

This is NMC texture pack 1920x1200 4aa+15af......

Game looks better in the flesh with lighting quality.

Look at how Cass looks compared to people in Oblivion.

Btw, u might get a pop up if u click these images.....

Try it with Nevada Skies if you haven't already. URWL is pretty amazing.
Use the "NSkies URWLified 31 AllInOne" download.

I am not too worried about the 6GB then if there is compression involved. Wasn't Witcher 2 8GB (minus bonus and DLC content) at launch?

Of course that does cause some concern on the modding side and how bad pop in will occur.

my witcher 2 files folder for the install (from GOG) minus the 2.0 patch is 11.7gigs

Nearly 19 gigs for the game folder itself with everything installed.

6 confirmed? Are any other games that small anymore? (besides 2d indie type stuff of course). Minesweeper has more. :p

Last edited:
OH NYEAW!

HDD requirements=game quality!!!

Skyrim must be worse than Duke Nukem Forever!!!

:rolleyes:

I'm not worried about recommended hard drive space...it pretty much goes without saying that Skyrim's 6Gb of data will net me at least a hundred hours of gameplay, easy. I'd take 6Gb/100 hours of play over 15Gb/20 hours of gameplay ANY day. :p

Back