Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

New engine on a ~2 year dev cycle? Beth didn't split their team for Fallout, and from what I've been told, the release date was picked by the marketing department (11/11/11!!!!). This game isn't going to be much different from Oblivion and probably a shit ton buggier.

Well to use RAGE's use of environments to argue against the actual engine technology within an RPG world is silly as we don't know the limits/functions of the tech yet.

Anyway I'm really excited, but I would like to see some gameplay; We'll probably have to wait until Quakecon for that :/

Wow next year is going to a busy year for my KB/M.

hope it has a combat system worth mentioning. also, no fast travel please, completely ruined the immersion in oblivion.

Also level scaling needs teh axe.

Huh?

Fast travel was optional. You could ride or walk the distance if you wanted. Which I did much of the time. :)

Its not about third or first person or any of that shit. Its about the size of the game world. Tech5 is probably going to end up being murder on console hardware, even in smaller games.

And there lies the problem. Consoles. Take the console out of the picture and develop it for the PC like it was originally inteded and the TESV would most certainly have a new engine.

But Bethesda will not do that, there too greedy. And thats what wrong with big business in America today. Everything is full of greed.

From the sounds of it, sounds like it's brand spanking new, but they are borrowing some code or some such from gamebryo.

Hopefully that means they are just borrowing the use of .nif files for models resources and .kf for animation resources. I'm cool with that. That says nothing about the quality of modeling and animations and such. (that depends upon the designers, not gamebryo)

It's got to be!

I mean it is!

Yes!

(I hope :D)

If it's stable and at least looks better then New Vegas I'm game. I'm actually hoping they include some new stuff like locational damage and a more robust combat system. Also improved animations are a must.

As for as Skryim we can expect a lot of snow and mountains, I'm thinking it's possible that it might be built in the maze-like way Morrowind was which is probably actually a good thing since in Oblivion it was way to easy to trek across the map cross country and get almost anywhere. The mountain exploring aspect is definitely a huge draw to me. Hopefully they take a page out of New Vegas and add a hardcore mode as well to add some extra added immersion.

This is definitely my number #1 buy for 2011 if it releases on time.

Thinking about it hope it plays like an Morrowind / Fallout hybrid with a good story, interesting places to explore and immersive options like hardcore mode so we can have a richer role-play experience. I like those aspects but I'm not likely to play mods that add them since they need to be balanced properly.

Agreed the Gamebryo engine is dated. I found the "tweaked" version buggy in Fallout3.
But what really worries me is the trend for developers to develop for the consoles and port to PCs.
PCs stay on the cutting edge because they are easily upgradeable. Developing games is a business lest one forgets. It seems recently they have taken a Que from Hollywood and are cranking out one turd after another.

They don't need to borrow anything from the new Fallout games. In fact why are we still talking about them in a ESV thread? Those should have never been made using Bethesda's engine. The gamebryo engine is much more tailored for a fantasy game than a brown post apocalyptic landscape. It looked downright terrible, in a bad way.

They don't need to borrow anything from the new Fallout games. In fact why are we still talking about them in a ESV thread? Those should have never been made using Bethesda's engine. The gamebryo engine is much more tailored for a fantasy game than a brown post apocalyptic landscape. It looked downright terrible, in a bad way.

Well I'll buy the game no matter how flawed it is but I'm not sure if I'll play it for 10 hours or 100+, I suppose it just depends how good it is. :p

Huh?

Fast travel was optional. You could ride or walk the distance if you wanted. Which I did much of the time. :)

the option shouldnt be there in the first place. atleast mods fixed it to remove it.

the problem lies not just wether its optional chances are even if you dont really want to use it seeing that you can and just doing it when you get lazy even when you tell your self your not going to do it ruins it. some people lack the self control not to use it even when they dont want to just because the option is there. its pretty much a built in cheat staring at you everytime you look at the world map.

imo a feature that just dumbed down the series more.

if you want to teleport mark and recall is all you need. which is pretty powerful but still not too powerful because you cant teleport every where at a whim.

if you feel you need a teleport to any city option just download a mod.

FO3 would've looked terrible on any engine. Engine's aren't tailored to specific settings dude. There is no such thing as an engine better for one setting over another.

the option shouldnt be there in the first place. atleast mods fixed it to remove it.

the problem lies not just wether its optional chances are even if you dont really want to use it seeing that you can and just doing it when you get lazy even when you tell your self your not going to do it ruins it. some people lack the self control not to use it even when they dont want to just because the option is there. its pretty much a built in cheat staring at you everytime you look at the world map.

imo a feature that just dumbed down the series more.

if you want to teleport mark and recall is all you need. which is pretty powerful but still not too powerful because you cant teleport every where at a whim.

if you feel you need a teleport to any city option just download a mod.

Why the fuck does it matter if its there or not? If you don't like it DON'T FUCKING USE IT! Not that bloody hard. Fast travel had nothing to do dumbing the game down. It would be far past that point with or without fast travel.

I wonder how similar the engine will be to TES IV. The modding community for that is still very active. I would love for the engine to still work in a similar way (without the limitations which hinder the modders) so that the community could instantly jump to TES IV.

I also really hope that they did a better job with cities. The entire Imperial City in Oblivion was about the size of one block in, say, Prototype. I realize the cities in Oblivion are much more detailed, but I expected more size. The capital of the empire should have a population greater than ~200.

I wonder how similar the engine will be to TES IV. The modding community for that is still very active. I would love for the engine to still work in a similar way (without the limitations which hinder the modders) so that the community could instantly jump to TES IV.

I also really hope that they did a better job with cities. The entire Imperial City in Oblivion was about the size of one block in, say, Prototype. I realize the cities in Oblivion are much more detailed, but I expected more size. The capital of the empire should have a population greater than ~200.

Skyrim only has nine major cities so hopefully they're be bigger and more detailed.

Why the fuck does it matter if its there or not? If you don't like it DON'T FUCKING USE IT! Not that bloody hard. Fast travel had nothing to do dumbing the game down. It would be far past that point with or without fast travel.

someone really likes that horrible "feature"

someone really likes that horrible "feature"

I don't like idiotic bullshit arguments about pointless OPTIONAL features. Especially when the game has so many other major problems. Not the least of which is that sans-mods the game world is fucking dull and boring.

Skyrim only has nine major cities so hopefully they're be bigger and more detailed.

Nevermind, two of my fears. Skyrim is a setting I'm looking forward to. If they can learn a bit from Nordmar in Gothic 3 and Bloodmoon from Morrowind, it could be apropriately brutal.

One of my fears is out of the way. If they can deal with my other fears, I'm actually going to be pretty excited.

My only major concern right now is if they'll still release a toolkit and let the mod community continue to exist in force. If they don't prevent modding anything else can be fixed.

The fact that it still based off of Gamebryo means that I am quite literally not going to play this game. Fuck Gamebryo is its ass, I dont give a fuck how rich the universe is, its archaic and I feel like I'm beeing robbed by playing games based on this engine in 2010.

I barely let it slide on Fallout 3, New Vegas I gave up on based solely on the goddamn engine. Bethesda is dancing around the issue here, one of the developers on NeoGAF confirmed its using Gamebryo but its enhanced a bit. Animations have not been improved (according to Todd Howard) and this game is just not on my radar at all.

For shame, Bethesda seems to know their way around RPGs pretty well but their decision making skills are laughable. Why the FUCK would the TESV be on Gamebryo after Zenimax aquired iD and iDTech5? Its 2011 nearly ... fuck this shit in the ass and fuck Bethesda.

I'm sure I'll get flamed but honestly I just dont give a shit. Fuck Bethesda, there I said it. :p

Your understanding is wrong. Microsofts SDK for the 360 is one of the best ever, a major reason why many developers start there first and port elsewhere.

Right... So much hate. Let's all jump on the 'hate Bethesda' bandwagon, even though so little is known about the game.

If you would have read some posts above you, you would know that it will use a new engine.

I don't mind it being based on Gamebryo. they've had some time to make some significant changes to the engine.

The Bethesda tweet said it wasn't Gamebryo, but gave no details. I think that no matter what engine they chose/developed, it will probably be a step up.

should make the next fallout in russia and call it Fallout:Stalker

Heh. To be honest I would love for Fallout to take place outside of the US at some point. Its not explored very much in the Fallout lore and it could be fun to see.

What phone has more than 512MB of memory?

You took it too literal. Also, ask again in a couple of months and I can say "My phone has twice the memory as these shit consoles"

You do know we have a good few years left of the current gen of consoles right?

No, no we don't. The consoles were outdated a year into their cycle. There is no more "optimization" that console players somehow think is going to squeeze any more power out of these aging machines. The only thing devs are doing now is cutting corners and making environments smaller so there is less to render.

Ram is also a weird comparison to make considering of all the major components its probably the least effective for gaming.

No, it's probably the thing that's holding them back the most. Without enough ram, you can have vast open worlds. Everything has to be a linear so that everything can fit into the ram. Also, that's shared between video and system so it's even more pathetic.

With something like ES, it makes it even worse. With the lead dev machines having so little ram, it affects the game development for the worse.

Right... So much hate. Let's all jump on the 'hate Bethesda' bandwagon, even though so little is known about the game.

If you would have read some posts above you, you would know that it will use a new engine.

Its not a new engine, its an enhanced version of Gamebryo, Todd Howard is on record stating as much :( I will retract a bit and say I'm happy they recognized issues with gamebryo and are working on fixing them. Its just that engine is archaic, its utter nonsense (at least IMO) to release games on that engine in 2011+. It doesn't matter, TES fans will buy anything and defend Bethesda to the end. I understand that passion for some games, I am that way towards others. Its just a shame that I am now putting myself (voluntarily) into this position. I am not very optimistic at all, but suppose I will do my best to pretend theres a chance and wait for more information. I'm calling it right now, 12/12/2010 ... this game is going to feel like it was released in 2005 when its released in 2011/2012. Its a fucking shame.

This game, I mean a game of this caliber and magnitude needed to be iDTech5. It really did.

Last edited:
Its not a new engine, its an enhanced version of Gamebryo, Todd Howard is on record stating as much :( I will retract a bit and say I'm happy they recognized issues with gamebryo and are working on fixing them. Its just that engine is archaic, its utter nonsense (at least IMO) to release games on that engine in 2011+. It doesn't matter, TES fans will buy anything and defend Bethesda to the end. I understand that passion for some games, I am that way towards others. Its just a shame that I am now putting myself (voluntarily) into this position. I am not very optimistic at all, but suppose I will do my best to pretend theres a chance and wait for more information. I'm calling it right now, 12/12/2010 ... this game is going to feel like it was released in 2005 when its released in 2011/2012. Its a fucking shame.

This game, I mean a game of this caliber and magnitude needed to be iDTech5. It really did.

Hey man, take it easy and don't get so worked up. there are too many variables. Tech5 is not proven to handle seamless worlds, nor do we know if it's easy for developers to work with. And all we can surmise about gamebryo is that some resources were used. Maybe, if we are lucky, merely model and animation type stuff got ported into this 'new' engine. No need to be emo man. Maybe things won't turn out well, maybe they will but we really have VERY little knowledge. We are all talking about something we all know very little of. Anyways, it's just a game.

I agree with you that Gamebryo shouldn't continue any longer, and it would totally suck if they went with it for such a major game.

However, can you point me to the source that states it will use Gamebyro? Bethesda's Tweet states that it uses a "brand new engine." :confused:

Given that they have been working on it for 2 years already I can see why they can't use tech 5 engine. I just hope they dont use the "mug cam" for the conversations. That and re-do the animations from scratch. I'd say it needs to be a little less generic looking than oblivion. I'll be buying a new video card and paying full price for this one.

I'm just wondering can someone explain what improvements id tech 5 offers over id tech 4 and Gamebyro? For instance exactly for instance are the changes in the various sub components from id tech 4 to 5? What improvements have been made to the rendering component? How does the development tools of both compare to gamebyro?

Perhaps explain what current flaws/drawbacks in Gamebyro and id tech 4 are addressed and how in id tech 5?

I'm just wondering can someone explain what improvements id tech 5 offers over id tech 4 and Gamebyro? For instance exactly for instance are the changes in the various sub components from id tech 4 to 5? What improvements have been made to the rendering component? How does the development tools of both compare to gamebyro?

Perhaps explain what current flaws/drawbacks in Gamebyro and id tech 4 are addressed and how in id tech 5?

I don't know the specifics, but take a look at RAGE. It's a huge open world, looks damn good, and runs at 60fps.

No, no we don't. The consoles were outdated a year into their cycle. There is no more "optimization" that console players somehow think is going to squeeze any more power out of these aging machines. The only thing devs are doing now is cutting corners and making environments smaller so there is less to render.

I hate to be the one to break it to you but there will be no successor to the PS3 or 360 for at LEAST 3 more years. They just barely started making money on the damn things and both companies just dumped a shitload into kinect and move. If you think their successors are even close you are delusional as hell.

I hope the Tweet is correct

Gamebryo = no buy

Anything else = will buy

The Gamebryo engine needs putting out to pasture. New Vegas is one game too far already. I can't take the character animation, the microstutter and the lack of true dynamic lighting any longer!

Back