Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Unless they go back to Morrowind level of complexity (at the very least), I'm not expecting much.

hope it has a combat system worth mentioning. also, no fast travel please, completely ruined the immersion in oblivion.

Also level scaling needs teh axe.

Unless they go back to Morrowind level of complexity (at the very least), I'm not expecting much.

If by "complexity" you mean "little direction on where to go, and no easy way to travel other than the limited silt striders", then I hope they don't go back to that. Don't get me wrong, I loved Morrowind (as well as Arena and Daggerfall), but don't mistake a more primitive approach to game design as "complexity" :p

I've never understood why people complain about game mechanics that they don't even have to use. If you don't like fast travel . . . just don't use it.

I've never understood why people complain about game mechanics that they don't even have to use. If you don't like fast travel . . . just don't use it.

Agreed... would be nice to have a toggle for it when you start a game, so the people who don't like it but use it because it's there can control themselves. ;)

I usually prefer a more immersive world, but when I have a limited amount of time to play I *really* don't want to spend 20 minutes immersed in a freaking road.

Been waiting to hear where the game would be set. Skyrim is in the North, so mountains and snow, will be an interesting setting compared to whats out there. Would be especially interesting if we see anything amazing in terms of how snow and corresponding effects are modeled, which to me was the most visually interesting part of Crysis.

Agreed... would be nice to have a toggle for it when you start a game, so the people who don't like it but use it because it's there can control themselves. ;)

I usually prefer a more immersive world, but when I have a limited amount of time to play I *really* don't want to spend 20 minutes immersed in a freaking road.

This is why I like Bethesda's game series and approach to design, because all of these game play elements that people complain about Oblivion, Fallout and etc. are all adjustable via mods. People can customize the game to what they prefer.

Been waiting to hear where the game would be set. Skyrim is in the North, so mountains and snow, will be an interesting setting compared to whats out there. Would be especially interesting if we see anything amazing in terms of how snow and corresponding effects are modeled, which to me was the most visually interesting part of Crysis.

Realy? I thought it was the underwater levels.

Disappoint. What can they do with Skyrim? Snow, snow and more snow plus some mountains? I liked the diversity of Cyrodiil.

Disappoint. What can they do with Skyrim? Snow, snow and more snow plus some mountains? I liked the diversity of Cyrodiil.

I'm sure they'll mix it up, whether or not it fits the lore perfectly.

Can't wait, 11 months and counting (+ inevitable delays of course)

Realy? I thought it was the underwater levels.

Just a personal preference, its also interesting because until then I can't recall very many games that visually depict a cold snowy environment very well. Metro 2033 also did this well in the out door ruined city levels. Overall really it is a lesser used environment which makes it fresh.

I mean the standard western European medieval fantasy type design is really common place, would like something new. Would likely be more Nordic elements in the design of the game world as well. For instance if you look at Bruma (I think it was?) in Oblivion, the one city stood out more as it was designed differently then the others.

Well if they port over the lighting system it does give a good simulation of "snow blindness" :p

If by "complexity" you mean "little direction on where to go, and no easy way to travel other than the limited silt striders", then I hope they don't go back to that. Don't get me wrong, I loved Morrowind (as well as Arena and Daggerfall), but don't mistake a more primitive approach to game design as "complexity" :p

it did help the world feel much larger. there is no need for fast travel except for lazy people.

also level scaling was a horrible design choice in oblivion and so was the lack of hand placed items the random shit was so annoying and allowed the devs to get pretty lazy with their overall design of the game.

only thing that saved oblivion from being one of the worst rpg's out there is the mod support which essentially undid most the horrible design choices the devs made.

lets hope they bring back a seemless world and no more transitions into cities. but im not holding my breath with the limited capabilitys of consoles. damn the industry for porting to pc gimped games. id rather it come out 6 months to a year later and be right than a sub par pc game thats going backwords.

ill give them one more chance, ill even buy the collectors edition like i always do to support the dev team even more but if its a sub par pc game again ill never buy another game from Bethesda.

It'll be one of my most anticipated titles for 2011. I'm relieved it's not an MMO.

sweet! i haven't been excited about many releases lately, but this has me excited. I loved the previous elder scrolls games.

Another title using the gamebryo engine, color me limp. Likely it will be built from the ground up for consoles. I can't take this kind of teasing followed by the inevitable punishment.

Another title using the gamebryo engine, color me limp. Likely it will be built from the ground up for consoles. I can't take this kind of teasing followed by the inevitable punishment.

Is that confirmed? (Can't see the trailer @ work)

I'll be really pissed if it's the same engine.

i dont think the trailer showed it will be using the same engine when the trailer didnt really show anything.

they do need a new engine badly...

the only upside with using the same engine is they have had plenty of practice with it so the game should be polished pretty well.

but the engine is so dated it wouldnt feel like a new game and would feel like oblivion 1.5 with less portals.

I was hopeful that it would be id 5 for the engine. But Todd Howard, who pee'd in the batter for the last few Bethesda games gave an interview where he said things that made it sound like it was still gamebryo and even that it was made with consoles primarily in mind. I can't find the link, maybe someone else knows. I am afraid that we're going to see lots of cherry-picked screenies and video previews up until lots of people have pre-orders, and then the string gets pulled. I really hope I'm wrong, because I feel like one jaded mofo right now.

The trailer hardly tells much. But it's just super exciting to see a date. Skyrim? I'm all for that.

Variety? I don't recall Oblivion boating too much variety. But it won't just be snow, snow snow. Btw, have you played Morrowind:Bloodmoon?

Hmmm, I should play some more Morrowind in celebration of this announcement.

No way could they still use the same engine as TES oblivion, I mean the character models alone in that game by todays standard are atrocious.

My MAIN wish is that they FINALLY get motion capture. I mean Beth has got to be one of the bigger studios that still have some of the WORST animation in current gem game sthat still sell highly.

It's liike watching robots move/talk. They need to make use of the mocap studio they bought before Fallout 3 came out (which they didn't even use for that...).

Morrwind. It's been SO long, I haven't finished that either. Maybe tomorrow I'll start a thread dedicated to the initiative of re-starting a full-blown Morrowind mod playthrough. Then, on to Oblivion. Maybe Skyrim will be out by the time I'm done. Trying one more time to avoid the jenga-tower of fragile Elder Scrolls modded installs taking a shit on me is a daunting and foreboding task.

i dont think the trailer showed it will be using the same engine when the trailer didnt really show anything.

they do need a new engine badly...

the only upside with using the same engine is they have had plenty of practice with it so the game should be polished pretty well.

but the engine is so dated it wouldnt feel like a new game and would feel like oblivion 1.5 with less portals.

If they do use the engine, it will be an updated version of Gamebryo. It'll be revamped and (from the sounds of it) it will be customized. Beth sounds like they might be gutting the engine and tailoring it to their needs. Hopefully they will solve the instability and stutter issues if so.

Morrwind. It's been SO long, I haven't finished that either. Maybe tomorrow I'll start a thread dedicated to the initiative of re-starting a full-blown Morrowind mod playthrough. Then, on to Oblivion. Maybe Skyrim will be out by the time I'm done. Trying one more time to avoid the jenga-tower of fragile Elder Scrolls modded installs taking a shit on me is a daunting and foreboding task.

A daunting task indeed. But it's never stopped me for some odd reason.

only problem with me going to go and play morrowind is i still know where everything is. and i havnt play it since bloodmoon came out. but man was it so fun to enter a cave and see a daedric shield and helm just sitting there out in the open ready to take actually made you feel like you were exploring. non of that random chest shit in oblivion.

i already know id head straight for the chameleon ring in the pond then go around looting glass armor right infront of shop keepers and break into the vault lol

my play through of morrowind is very predictable but so fun still.

@Parmenides,

I'm not going to waste my breath hoping for the gamebryo engine to be changed much at all. Didn't the company that developed it go tits up and get sold off in pieces? This is Bethesda we're talking about here, they most likely will leave the same "trademark" bugs in there for the next iteration. Where are you getting the "tailored" and "revamped" stuff from?

Also, about Morrowind, care to share some trade secrets? Even in my best attempt, my last modded install was not smooth and crashed to desktop often. I don't have tons of patience, but I followed a web guide as closely as I was able to and still experienced calamity. You must have the patience of Buddha, if that's the case then I'd really appreciate some pointers.

@Parmenides,

I'm not going to waste my breath hoping for the gamebryo engine to be changed much at all. Didn't the company that developed it go tits up and get sold off in pieces? This is Bethesda we're talking about here, they most likely will leave the same "trademark" bugs in there for the next iteration. Where are you getting the "tailored" and "revamped" stuff from?

oblivion was bug free! ;)

this is my fav. bug that i found with my monk.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ghost-guard-bug-oblivion/99831

The point is they build the game around it. Developers know most people will use it if it's there so they keep that in mind when building the game world.

Also in regards to snow, I REALL hope it has "depth" to it, and isn't simply a white texture painted on the ground.

I would love something like in Uncharted 2, that snow was amazing.

If they can have snow with depth, and have it stick to things (IE clothing/armor, etc) it would be a huge step up for the graphics in that regard to me.

Next couple years are going to really suck for PC gaming. Everything is already being held back by consoles... and these consoles aren't refreshing since they can milk the same hardware by adding novelty accessories. Games that aren't going to be released for a year+ are still planning around console hardware.

Oh well, at least I won't have to upgrade my GTX 460's for quite a while.

I dont care what engine it uses as long as its fun. Its like people forgot games are supposed to be FUN not pretty.

I dont care what engine it uses as long as its fun. Its like people forgot games are supposed to be FUN not pretty.

You probably have an ugly girlfriend, and you're probably constantly saying things like "IT DOESN'T MATTER IN THE DARK HA HA HA".

@Parmenides,

Also, about Morrowind, care to share some trade secrets? Even in my best attempt, my last modded install was not smooth and crashed to desktop often. I don't have tons of patience, but I followed a web guide as closely as I was able to and still experienced calamity. You must have the patience of Buddha, if that's the case then I'd really appreciate some pointers.

Oh man... I'll have to fish it out. There's an article that made it sound like Bethseda was making their own engine. Or at least that they have been working on the engine. It was mentioned in the last TESV thread or the one before.

It doesn't matter what's going to happen to the gamebryo company now, Bethseda is entrenched in whatever gamebryo version they are in. With less than a year left, they probably will do very little engine tweaking. (as an aside, they have a DX11 version of gamebryo). If the gamebryo comes out with yet a new version, Bethseda won't use it as they are probably locked to a certain node.

Anyways, I hope they have an alternative to gamebryo. But if not that, I still hope they can solve the signature issues.

My morrowind experience has never been crash free. Just pay attention to load order (Molx helps with that). Pay attention to compatibility issues on the mod's readme. Most any good mod maker now is very conscious of where his mod might conflict. Graphical mods won't really conflict in a bad way anyways.

Wildace said:

By that logic FO3 and new vegas should be the most polished games in existence!

I liked how they trailer had them chanting nova king over and over again.

There's nova king way I'm excited for this game ;) (say it fast)

Back