Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

lol @ Steam related problems.

*looks over at DVD case of Skyrim*

Not everyone has problems with the Steam version. Just the people that are endlessly fucking with mods rather then playing it.

Coming home from grocery shopping with the family, I saw some small purple flowers growing out in some lawn. First thing that came to mind was, "Gotta harvest them". :p

Not everyone has problems with the Steam version. Just the people that are endlessly fucking with mods rather then playing it.

Nope, no mods at all here. The game is breaking itself in new and interesting ways every couple days.

Also, mine was from Amazon, I don't think it matters where you got it.

What level are you? I ran across this last night, never made it inside after a couple Troll tussles. I know I can sprint away from them, but I prefer to take them down.

lvl 31 now. Trolls aren't a problem but there are other mobs that kick my ass pretty good.

Are followers suited for specific weapons/armors? If I recruit someone who's in light armor and give them heavy armor, or if they use a bow and I give them sword and shield, would that be counter productive? Or do they eventually level up to their kit?

Are followers suited for specific weapons/armors? If I recruit someone who's in light armor and give them heavy armor, or if they use a bow and I give them sword and shield, would that be counter productive? Or do they eventually level up to their kit?

im pretty sure certain followers have certain skills.

like if you opened them up in the construction set you would see lydia with higher heavy armor skill ect. but without the construction set you cant really confirm this or not.

but im pretty sure every npc has skills just like we do you just cant see them ingame.

Ive given Lydia full elven armor that was epic status, and she dies almost instantly with it. I do think that they are set to use a certain kind of armor. As per a weapon, i don't have a clue.

Ok, I'll refrain from recruit a farmhand and giving him heavy armor/weapons :p

My guess is that they have similar attributes to yourself. I've been rolling with Lydia my entire game so far and she seems to keep up with me in terms of dealing damage and taking hits, so I think she must level up with me. I give her my hand-me-down armor (right now she has a full Orcish set) and she wears it like a champ.

As far as weapons, she will use whatever I give her...two-handed, one-handed + shield, bow, etc. She tends to use whatever I am using at the moment, i.e. if I pull out my bow she will do the same. If I have my sword out, she will pull out her mace or whatever I gave her.

Nope, no mods at all here. The game is breaking itself in new and interesting ways every couple days.

Also, mine was from Amazon, I don't think it matters where you got it.

Interesting. I've had a single crash to the desktop, and only because I forgot I had Handbrake running in the background.

60 hours of save games just got corrupted. Super.
Are you using Windows Live Mesh?

For at least some enchants, the soul gem used also affects the power of the enchantment. I was enchanting a Magicka reduction and Regenerate Magica on my armor, and with a common soul gem it was 1% reduction and 10% faster regeneration - but with the Grand soul gem (I think it was - maybe the one below grand) it was 6% reduction and 10% regeneration. So the reduction amount was based on the soul gem used, since my skill level was the same.

To answer your underlined section, you wouldn't. It would be a waste if a grand soul gem.

To answer your bottom question, I believe the amount of damage and maximum charges depends solely on your Enchanting skill. The size of the soul gem only determines the amount of initial charge (like I said in my previous post).
OK guys I figured out what was confusing me. I had always been selecting the enchantment first, noticing the slider, and getting lost there. If you select the gem first, then the enchantment, you see the difference max on the sliders. Quite a bit of difference if you go back and forth between. That's what I was looking for.

OK guys I figured out what was confusing me. I had always been selecting the enchantment first, noticing the slider, and getting lost there. If you select the gem first, then the enchantment, you see the difference max on the sliders. Quite a bit of difference if you go back and forth between. That's what I was looking for.

Not quite sure what you're saying. When you select the enchantment first and choose the charge level/power level, the soul gem ultimately has nothing to do with that. I just tried it and verified what I thought. The only thing that changed the max damage/whatever level for me for charged items is increasing my enchant skill and therefore using the perks to increase enchant power. The soul gem value only increases the initial amount of charges on such an item.

So, to be brief, using a different level of soul gem for an item that is charge-based will not give you a higher max damage/absorb/whatever level.

As an example, I use Absorb Health to enchant iron daggers and quick-level Enchanting. When I first started using that enchant I would get something like "Absorb 3 health per hit". Changing the soul gem from Petty to Lesser to whatever souls has no effect on that max level (3 in this case). After I leveled up Enchanting a bit, I was able to put more perk points into more powerful enchants, and that is what caused the increase in max absorb (I think I am up to 14 hp/hit now at +80% enchant power from perks). Again, the soul gem, whether it be Petty or Grand level souls, has no effect on this. That only affects the initial charge on the item (if you use a Petty gem/soul, the item is only like 2/3 full when newly enchanted depending on the type of enchantment).

new Nvidia beta 290.36 drivers released which adds official Ambient Occlusion support...according to Nvidia...

"As the images hopefully show, Ambient Occlusion adds massively to the game, enriching every single scene, every single object, and every single character. In fact, it’s our firm belief that Ambient Occlusion is the most important tweak for improving overall fidelity. Other tweaks improve specific elements of the game, whereas Ambient Occlusion improves everything"

new Nvidia beta 290.36 drivers released which adds official Ambient Occlusion support...according to Nvidia...

"As the images hopefully show, Ambient Occlusion adds massively to the game, enriching every single scene, every single object, and every single character. In fact, it’s our firm belief that Ambient Occlusion is the most important tweak for improving overall fidelity. Other tweaks improve specific elements of the game, whereas Ambient Occlusion improves everything"

With a huge FPS hit, right? :/

Not quite sure what you're saying. When you select the enchantment first and choose the charge level/power level, the soul gem ultimately has nothing to do with that. I just tried it and verified what I thought. The only thing that changed the max damage/whatever level for me for charged items is increasing my enchant skill and therefore using the perks to increase enchant power. The soul gem value only increases the initial amount of charges on such an item.

So, to be brief, using a different level of soul gem for an item that is charge-based will not give you a higher max damage/absorb/whatever level.

As an example, I use Absorb Health to enchant iron daggers and quick-level Enchanting. When I first started using that enchant I would get something like "Absorb 3 health per hit". Changing the soul gem from Petty to Lesser to whatever souls has no effect on that max level (3 in this case). After I leveled up Enchanting a bit, I was able to put more perk points into more powerful enchants, and that is what caused the increase in max absorb (I think I am up to 14 hp/hit now at +80% enchant power from perks). Again, the soul gem, whether it be Petty or Grand level souls, has no effect on this. That only affects the initial charge on the item (if you use a Petty gem/soul, the item is only like 2/3 full when newly enchanted depending on the type of enchantment).
To help me with my confusion I just changed the way I was selecting soul gems.

So to see the difference in soul gems, start by selecting the enchantment first, then petty soul gem (petty), then item. Look at the values for damage/charges on the slider. Tab out, then go back and select a grand soul gem (grand), then the item again. The damage/charges are much higher for me when a grand is selected.

If you just select the item and enchantment without a soul gem, it just defaults to the max damage/min charges. If you don't use a soul gem capable of those figures, it scales down to what you selected.

Where do you find moar soul gems? I found a couple weapons that 'charge a soulgem if the target dies in 7 seconds' or something, but do the soul gems get destroyed when you enchant? Or just the 'soul' in the soul gem?

Thanks!

you lose the gem, almost all reguler traders sell gems under misc. and all magic traders sell them.

Find Azura, do that questline.

It was cool.

There's a little sidequest involving a lighthouse somewhere. I have to say that's the first time thus far in this game that I felt dissatisfied and let down when I was finished with it. If anyone else has played that and knows what I'm talking about I'd be interested to see if they agree with me on that or not. It almost felt like it belonged in a different, far more gritty and depressing game entirely.

I put in a lot of time this weekend and am still having a blast. At first I wasn't happy with the Dark Brotherhood missions, but by the end they turned great. The Thieves Guild missions are going great so far, too.
For anyone who is going solo and needs money (since you can't haul as much stuff around) - definitely consider finishing up the Dark Brotherhood quest-line ASAP. No spoilers, but once it's said and done you can make $1,000 over and over pretty quickly and easily.

Also, the game does have the typical Bethesda level scaling issues, although not as badly as some others. Still, those dragons and bandits I used to slaughter at level 7-8 are now quite the pain at level 36.

Also, the game does have the typical Bethesda level scaling issues, although not as badly as some others. Still, those dragons and bandits I used to slaughter at level 7-8 are now quite the pain at level 36.

I'm glad I'm not that high of a level. I'm at 10 and I can even see the difference there vs. back when I was around 5 or so.

Frankly I'm at the point where I'd rather do a few modest stat boosts via the console vs letting my levels get that high and basically get punished for it. The scaling is still pretty terrible IMO. Incentive killing albeit not as horrendous as Oblivion.

I'm glad I'm not that high of a level. I'm at 10 and I can even see the difference there vs. back when I was around 5 or so.

Frankly I'm at the point where I'd rather do a few modest stat boosts via the console vs letting my levels get that high and basically get punished for it. The scaling is still pretty terrible IMO. Incentive killing albeit not as horrendous as Oblivion.

You're at Lvl 10 and complaining about level scaling? :p

You're at Lvl 10 and complaining about level scaling? :p

Slightly. ;) Depends on the enemy.

It's just enough that I can intuit what Domingo is talking about remembering level 5 situations vs being at 36 where he's at. If the scaling is more or less like Fallout's, I'll be alright.

In Oblivion going from something like 5 to 10 was quite noticeable and could be annoying. This? Nah, not yet. I'm pretty happy with things so far, all told.

Some of this is based upon memory, but I think Oblivion seemed to scale enemies roughly every 4-5 levels.
This one seems to do that again, however because leveling up is so much quicker, it isn't as noticeable. With some missions, I'll find myself gaining 2-3 levels in a half hour. I'm a notorious looter, so selling stuff is always boosting my speech. As a thief I'm always using sneaking and archery...followed by 1-hand and light armor when enemies get close. I also unlock everything in sight. Those 5 things following by me smithing the armors I find tend to be pushing me up in level pretty fast. Once I started using fast-healing instead of potions and disenchanting the lousy loot I found...look out!

I dont know guys.. i went from level 14 to 24 and put too much into alchemy, enchanting and smithing.. now i'm paying for it. My smithing and enchanting have exceeded my heavy armor and two-handed weapon styles.

Wish i could find someone to enchant items for me :D

What's funny is that I don't really do a lot of enchanting of items myself. I tend to just disenchant the lousy steel/iron weapons I find just so I have the enchantment knowledge for the future.

Thus far most of the enchantments I have bothered to use just grant me the ability to lug around heavier stuff.
Smithing is handy, though. You can modify normal leather, scale, and and steel armors into stuff that's better than "off the shelf" ebony and glass.

I'm guessing giants and mammoths don't scale with level? I ran into a giant and his mammoth when I was very low level and it took me a good 15 minutes of kiting around to kill them. I just 1 shot a giant in sneak mode at level 40 now... At this point, some bandits are stronger than giants. Seems kind of strange to me.

What's funny is that I don't really do a lot of enchanting of items myself. I tend to just disenchant the lousy steel/iron weapons I find just so I have the enchantment knowledge for the future.
Thus far most of the enchantments I have bothered to use just grant me the ability to lug around heavier stuff.

Im the same way actually. I'm still wearing the iron boots that the Jarl gave me at the beginning of the game (prior to the first dragon quest) . They help me carry 20 (or was it 40) extra pounds. I disenchanted them once, but could only get 13 pounds back, so i reloaded.

Funny thing: the skyforge steel items seem better than most of the other items i find (after some smithing) They are so good that they out perform anything else i find.

I haven't tried black soul gems, but i have one and now that im doing dark brotherhood quests, i'll use them and see what i can get.

Is there a list or a book that lists what souls fit into what gems? The guides of this type were better in oblivion as far as i can tell thus far.

I'm guessing giants and mammoths don't scale with level? I ran into a giant and his mammoth when I was very low level and it took me a good 15 minutes of kiting around to kill them. I just 1 shot a giant in sneak mode at level 40 now... At this point, some bandits are stronger than giants. Seems kind of strange to me.

Uh oh..."Bandits in Glass Armor" again?? :confused:

Even though they're not wearing high end stuff, they just seem to be more durable. It's never as bad as Oblivion where 1 bandit can end your day, but 3-4 of them can be a surprising challenge...especially if one of them is a caster.

Funny thing: the skyforge steel items seem better than most of the other items i find (after some smithing) They are so good that they out perform anything else i find.

Yeah, I've had yet to find something better than my Skyforge Steel Two-handed Sword. It's been upgraded to Exquisite already.

Well, they will be wearing leather or iron stuff usually, but many of them can kill a dragon without issue :(

Like with Forsworn later on, sometimes their bear pelt protects them better than a dragon with its scales.

The level scaling and loot scaling is not ideal.

Well, they will be wearing leather or iron stuff usually, but many of them can kill a dragon without issue :(

Like with Forsworn later on, sometimes their bear pelt protects them better than a dragon with its scales.

The level scaling and loot scaling is not ideal.

Yeah, they wear crappy armor still, but at level 37, I'm finding they're pretty typically equipped with glass and ebony weapons. Kinda goofy.

And mages...yikes. Some of them can blow my shit up in no time.

If you want a challenge, do not do the following:
Level Enchanting and Smithing to 100
Craft 2x daedric war axes
enchant a ring, amulet, clothing, gloves with +25% smithing bonuses
drink a +30% blacksmith's draught, put on +smithing gear
Go to a grinding stone, temper the daedric war axes
enchant +40% 1hand damage to ring, amulet, gloves, boots.
Enchant the axes with 20 life absorb and whatever else you want

You now dual wield weapons that do several hundred damage per hit and absorb life. My 1h skill is not even close to maxed out and my axes do 249 damage each, not counting their own damage/absorb enchants. Who knows, there is probably a way to temper weapons even stronger than this, too. Does a +smithing hat exist? Or, if alchemy is 100, a + smithing potion better than 30%? Maybe enchant one axe with damage health, and the other with, if it exists, weakness to magic?

If you want a challenge, do not do the following:
Level Enchanting and Smithing to 100
Craft 2x daedric war axes
enchant a ring, amulet, clothing, gloves with +25% smithing bonuses
drink a +30% blacksmith's draught, put on +smithing gear
Go to a grinding stone, temper the daedric war axes
enchant +40% 1hand damage to ring, amulet, gloves, boots.
Enchant the axes with 20 life absorb and whatever else you want

You now dual wield weapons that do several hundred damage per hit and absorb life. My 1h skill is not even close to maxed out and my axes do 249 damage each, not counting their own damage/absorb enchants.

it's crazy that even on master, i have to choose to not use companions, not use conjuration, and really hold myself back from abusing the professions or this game just because too easy.

Back