Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

I have ugrid = 9 for the last week (15+ hours of play) and have gotten not one crash (until the new patch f*** that up, but I just went back to the old .exe to fix it), all I did was enable LAA and add the following to documents\my games\skyrim\skyrim.ini under papyrus:
Code:
[Papyrus]
iMinMemoryPageSize=100000
iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=3200000000

I can't understand how LAA and the above ini settings really help because I've never seen tesv.exe use more than 1.4GBs of RAM, you'd think it'd run fine without LAA but I was getting constant crashes before applying LAA..go figure. Ah just remembered, windows task manager does not always report every bit of memory used because of intrinsic difficulties in doing so.

Last edited:
Playing with that uGrid cvar has corrupted some of my saves.
I can't load any save file that was using a lower value. For example if I make a save at 12, if I use anything lower than 12 the save won't load.

Be warned.

edit: Saving while in-doors fixes it. Carry on.

Playing with that uGrid cvar has corrupted some of my saves.
I can't load any save file that was using a lower value. For example if I make a save at 12, if I use anything lower than 12 the save won't load.

Be warned.

edit: Saving while in-doors fixes it. Carry on.

If you search there are also ways to fix it by using the console in-game. I had the issue too when I first tried messing with it but it was easily fixed.

I had more luck with this skyrim 4GB patcher: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013 - apparently created by the same person who created the FO3 one. And looking at process explorer, it looks like skyrim was using just shy of 3GBs (with ugrid = 9, 4gb patch, imaxallocatedmemorybytes = 3.2GBs). And yea to revert to a lower ugrid you have to use the console and load an older save game.

Yeah same here actually, if it doesn't work though I'll be going back to 7, and in all honesty its not that great of a difference between 7 and 9, of course you can see it when you look for it in the distance. But most of the places I go to, aren't really making use of the 9 grids anyway, so 7 covers pretty much all the avenues I wanted in the first place, like the waterfalls not being loaded, etc.

Remember to do the console command again to prevent messing your saves up, because I thought that once I had done it, it meant that I could change ugrids constantly whenever I wanted. That wasn't the case, because I tried 9 again and messed up 7 unfortunately :(

check this out, i just downloaded the newest AMD Driver and Cap. I am running CFX Gigabyte 6970 + Gigabyte 6950 2gb flashed.

The problem i am having is, whenever i zone into another area, the fps drops dramatically, i would say to about 15-20. I then have to tab out of game, Alt+Ctrl+del whilst Skyrim is selected in the taskbar then click cancel (so it maximizes again).

The framerate after doing so goes back to a normal 60-70 fps. This NEVER happened on the previous drivers and it's really frustrating

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Last edited:
check this out, i just downloaded the newest AMD Driver and Cap. I currently have A Gigabyte 6970 and a Gigabyte 6950 2gb flashed.

The problem i am having is, whenever i zone into another area, the fps drops dramatically, i would say to about 15-20. I then have to tab out of game, Alt+Ctrl+del whilst Skyrim is selected in the taskbar then click cancel (so it maximizes again).

The framerate after doing so goes back to a normal 60-70 fps. This NEVER happened on the previous drivers and it's really frustrating

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I downloaded the latest driver yesterday, and I too have been getting strange FPS drops on both BF3 and Skyrim, like you going into the 20's just for a second or so. On BF3 I never dropped below 45fps on ULTRA settings and pretty much stayed locked at the max framerate up until this driver.

But at the same time the driver gives a constant rise in fps in other areas, which is weird. I am just going back to the Battlefield 3 driver instead, as that worked fine for both games. I don't know why I changed drivers when I had no problems, curiosity I suppose :)

For all the awesomeness PC gaming gives when everything is running right, there always has to be that dreaded period of getting a new game to run well, with disasters along the way. Why does it have to be so complicated :( haha

It's worth it though when a driver makes a difference and your settings all suddenly start to work perfectly. Lets just hope we find the perfect balance in order to play all of these new games, without having to change drivers in order to play one instead of the other, etc. That is frustrating.

I downloaded the latest driver yesterday, and I too have been getting strange FPS drops on both BF3 and Skyrim, like you going into the 20's just for a second or so. On BF3 I never dropped below 45fps on ULTRA settings and pretty much stayed locked at the max framerate up until this driver.

But at the same time the driver gives a constant rise in fps in other areas, which is weird. I am just going back to the Battlefield 3 driver instead, as that worked fine for both games. I don't know why I changed drivers when I had no problems, curiosity I suppose :)

For all the awesomeness PC gaming gives when everything is running right, there always has to be that dreaded period of getting a new game to run well, with disasters along the way. Why does it have to be so complicated :( haha

It's worth it though when a driver makes a difference and your settings all suddenly start to work perfectly. Lets just hope we find the perfect balance in order to play all of these new games, without having to change drivers in order to play one instead of the other, etc. That is frustrating.

I know right, there is always something that is not right. You got to be very lucky if you are one of those peoples who has a system running perfectly with no flaws. I too will probably just go back to the older drivers, i haven't tested out BF3 though, might do that before i do.

I had Skyrim set to never update in Steam... Yesterday it updated and it was once again set to auto-update. Go figure. With the new file it was crashing every other door I went through. Luckily I saved the original exe along with my updated one through cff explorer.

haha! just found out it wasn't the drivers at all, it's the damn skyrim update. Reverted back to 11.10 and it STILL is dropping in FPS! I'm gonna pay Bethesda a little visit.

I'm not having any problems.... now can we get back to talking about the game :p

Finally got my Speech to 90 via lots of training. Buy my stolen goods you stupid vendors! Now if only they had more money.

People on Guru3D are claiming that adding "+fullproc" to the Steam executable increases performance.
I tried it and at the very least it does seem to be a nice placebo.

Just want to say that I'm 30 hours into this game and haven't experienced a single crash. This game is incredible but the menu interface is holocaust bad. Can't wait for a mod to fix the menus.

EDIT: Oops, except for Alt+Tab. That will crash it every time.

I'm living in the posh Solitude mansion, so I don't know about that Whiterun shithole... BUT, you should be able to talk to the steward and buy new stuff for your house.

How much does this Solitude mansion run and how do I obtain it? Also, how many hoes fit in the hot tub(ball park is fine)?

Someone mentioned Ugrids...this is a notoriously bitchy and unstable setting to play with, folks. If you do, make sure you back up your "safe" inis first.

Load a current save, fire it up, and then make a new save off that as experiment fodder before you start Ugrid fiddling and such. If things go foul, you have nothing to lose except not using that save and putting your .inis back to the way they were before.

I don't really like the house in Solitude. I think you're just paying for location.

There's an extra room in the basement that I wish could be converted to a holding cell for my victims.

I don't really like the house in Solitude. I think you're just paying for location.

There's an extra room in the basement that I wish could be converted to a holding cell for my victims.

But doesn't it get nice with upgrades? You can have an Alchemy Lab and Arcane Enchanter, right? I think I will probably buy it. Sitting on 23,000g right now. Mostly limited by the poor as vendors.

Finish the DB quest line. ;)

But doesn't it get nice with upgrades? You can have an Alchemy Lab and Arcane Enchanter, right? I think I will probably buy it. Sitting on 23,000g right now. Mostly limited by the poor as vendors.
Yes but they cost money.
The house is 25k and there's approximately another 10k worth of upgrades.

Also the spare bedroom is for the Housecarl you are gifted by the Jarl (of Solitude).

Yes but they cost money.
The house is 25k and there's approximately another 10k worth of upgrades.

Also the spare bedroom is for the Housecarl you are gifted by the Jarl (of Solitude).

Oh, money :p I clean out the vendors every time I visit Solitude, and I've invested in all of them. With a good knowledge of Alchemy and some sneaky hands (stealing), money is not hard to come by.

I end up finding myself repeatedly waiting 48 hours just to vendor one load of inventory.

It seems like the vendor gold limit is simultaneously pointless and tedious since you can just wait 48 hours to circumvent it so it's not like it's a real limit. It's just a game-flow breaking point of tedium.

I end up finding myself repeatedly waiting 48 hours just to vendor one load of inventory.

It seems like the vendor gold limit is simultaneously pointless and tedious since you can just wait 48 hours to circumvent it so it's not like it's a real limit. It's just a game-flow breaking point of tedium.

I would find venders with limitless wealth a little cheap myself. But I understand the feeling of flow breaking tedium caused by waiting or fast traveling repeatedly just to off load junk. I wish there was a way to stock a store with your acquired items or sell them though consignment at a general store. It would take some time to get your money but it wouldn't be game flow breaking.

I tend to just alternate shops when overburdened. In Whiterun there's the blacksmith (2 different vendors with their own money), the weapon shop, and the general goods shop in close proximity. If you use all of them, that's roughly $6K right there.

I tend to just alternate shops when overburdened. In Whiterun there's the blacksmith (2 different vendors with their own money), the weapon shop, and the general goods shop in close proximity. If you use all of them, that's roughly $6K right there.

Not to mention the blacksmith at the Skyforge and the alchemist next to the general goods shop.

Also the apothecary and court wizard in Whiterun.

But surely there must be a Creeper or Mudcrab Merchant type character in Skyrim, with vast amounts of gold to spend.

The patch doesn't even fix the bugs with Blood on the Ice quest? I've tried absolutely everything to get that quest to initiate. I can't even get it start through the console.

Back