EK Supremacy EVO waterblock backplate gasket not lying flat

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
According to EKs compatibility list the waterblock should be compatible with my MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC motherboard. But when I went to install it the backplate gasket overlaps with several wire protrusions from the front of the board causing it to lift up on one side instead of laying flat. Can I trim the gasket around where it's conflicting with my board so that it will sit flush on the board?

KIG5PRX.jpg

Lmwzumr.jpg

Whats making the insulator lay wrong? It's not a gasket. It's insulation protection. Are long component legs causing issues?

In EK's documentation it's a gasket, so that's what I called it here. Functionally it serves as a spacer; and lets them be universal with two backplates instead of thee (one does LGA2011 without it and LGA1366/AMD with); with LGA 115x sockets it presumably lets them save a few cents by not having to bend legs into the backplate to lift it over the back of the socket.

And yeah, if it wasn't clear from the pictures, the things I circled probably are component legs.

I forgot to update this earlier in the week; EK said to trim away.

Trim away on the insulator or nip the component legs shorter? I always use a nice pair of side cutters and trim up the component legs? I didn't even look at the directions the last time I installed new EK block. I did look at the cpu naked kit instructions to make sure I got the right stand offs installed for my naked cpu.

Gasket???? Thats crazy. It's not even a spacer,,, LMAO. It's for insulation so the board won't short out. :)

Back