EK Recalls EK-XLC Predator 240 and 360 units due to faulty O-Ring

Activate: AMD

[H]ard|Gawd
A word of warning to anyone who has purchased an EK Predator closed loop cooler:
EKWB said:
What was initially estimated as limited risk situation with small percentage of units developing a leak over time that can be resolved with direct customer contact, turned out to be a more widespread problem.

After receiving first few customer feedbacks in December 2015 about the leakage issue, EKWB identified the issue in the faulty O-ring in the EK-Supremacy MX CPU water block that was used in the unit. Since there had been no complaints from initial pre-order customers before December, EKWB decided that the issue should have originated from the new batch of O-rings used in production at the beginning of November. Therefore, EKWB recalled all affected products at resellers and informed the customers who bought the unit after that period to check the production date accordingly and arrange a replacement unit.

However, with more and more customers reporting the issue we have realized that O-ring issue is not limited to November batch and the only appropriate action to protect customers is a total Product Recall of all sold and unsold units.

All Revision 1.0 units produced from October 2015 until end of December 2015 are potentially affected by the risk of leakage and in order to prevent any computer component damage, the units need to be replaced. The leakage may occur between copper cold plate and bracket on the water block after it is heated up and pressure rises. Current statistics show that 1 out of 10 units leaks.

We are warning all customers of EK XLC-Predator units to discontinue use of cooling device and contact EKWB for replacement unit or refund. EKWB is taking full responsibility for this issue and will be:

Replacing or refunding all returned units to the customers
Refunding the customer any computer component damage created by a leakage
EKWB has redesigned and released a new version of EK-XLC Predator (Revision 1.1) on the 4th of January 2016 that prevents any leakage under normal working modes. All customers with Revision 1.0 units will be offered a replacement R1.1 unit or a full refund. Revision 1.0 backplate is not compatible with Revision 1.1 backplate!
https://www.ekwb.com/news/656/19/Im...XLC-Predator-240-and-360-R1-0-Product-recall/
Bolding is mine
I figured that this forum would be more suitable than the WC sub since theres lots of talk about CLC's and pre-filled units here, but if mods disagree then feel free to move it

Damn, I was looking at one of those. :(

Thanks.

Oh damn. At least EKWB is owning up to it and are resolving the issue as quickly as possible.

EKWB seems to be having a streak of bad luck First the 140mm Vardar fans, now the Predator. :(

To there credit, they are doing a great job of customer support. :D

A word of warning to anyone who has purchased an EK Predator closed loop cooler:

https://www.ekwb.com/news/656/19/Im...XLC-Predator-240-and-360-R1-0-Product-recall/
Bolding is mine
I figured that this forum would be more suitable than the WC sub since theres lots of talk about CLC's and pre-filled units here, but if mods disagree then feel free to move it

Thanks for the heads up! I've contacted the reseller where the product was purchased to check if it can be return it directly to them (like stated on the EKWB page). Now I need to find something to replace it in the meantime...

at least they are admitting to a QC issue this time...unlike their past behavior (cough cough, plating fiasco)

Thanks for the heads up! I've contacted the reseller where the product was purchased to check if it can be return it directly to them (like stated on the EKWB page). Now I need to find something to replace it in the meantime...

Do keep in mind that in most countries the seller of retail product is responsible for paying the return postage in situations like these.

wow at least they are covering everything damaged but still that puts a big dent into AIO/"custom" AIOs.
I'm already thinking about going from a corsair h100i to a noctua just for longevity/reliablity concerns. everything is fine now, but h100i is 4+yrs old now and i plan to keep my build for another 4+ more years.

This is a good thing. It's like taking the nuclear option to ensure no Predator user with a leaky unit is left behind. Props to EK for enacting a full on recall. It sucks in the short-term but it goes a LONG ways towards building trust with customers who understand manufacturing defects happen from time to time... It's how you handle these problems that set a company apart from the competitors. The fact that EK has issued a full recall while ALSO offering to cover any components damaged by a leak is a hell of a move. As far as I'm concerned, EK has earned my trust and I'll be sticking with them.

I had one of the pre-order units that had a leaking o-ring. My replacement rev 1.1 Predator came in today. It's solid (I have it cooling a 4770k @4.5Ghz and a Titan X @1500mhz).

Not many companies come out and also take the blame and help replace if anythings destroyed.
EK seems like a pretty cool company.

Not many companies come out and also take the blame and help replace if anythings destroyed.
EK seems like a pretty cool company.

More like a company that learned the hard way not to cover up you QC issues and make your loyal customers prove you have been lying to them.

Hi guys!

Some people knows me from the other forums under the same nickname or even under the nickname Akira749.

I will now have HardForum added to my list of forums to support. :)

Again, I will sound like an old record but i'm extremely sorry about the Predator issue. I hope every customers will have their new revised version soon.

From now on, don't hesitate to ask any questions. I will do my best to help you.

Cheers :D

Agreed with everyone else that its nice to see them take the hit on this one, rather than try and cover it up. Hopefully they aren't impacted too badly financially

I'm in the market for an aio...ekwb has moved up a few notches by the way they're taking responsibility for this.

I'm in the market for an aio...ekwb has moved up a few notches by the way they're taking responsibility for this.

They're doing a damn good job so far too. They even offered to cross-ship my replacement predator after my pre-order unit developed a leak, set up a pickup for my faulty Predator (which is great considering DHL is 30 miles away from me), and of course paid shipping both ways. I already have it up and running again (cooling a 4770k @4.5Ghz and a Titan X @1500mhz). :)

Don't mind the fan cables... I switched the fans from pull to push and then put the wires on the wrong side... I'll fix them when I move to a push/pull setup.

IMG_0629_zpsukonhwrp.jpg

IMG_0611_zps4ysebplz.jpg

Last edited:
More like a company that learned the hard way not to cover up you QC issues and make your loyal customers prove you have been lying to them.

this

last time they doubled down with denials and threats and basically acted like total asshats, ended up screwing Sidewinder for a lot of $ and I still have a failed HF "supreme" block here to show for it.

At best this brings them back to a "wary" standing from "absolutely not"

this

last time they doubled down with denials and threats and basically acted like total asshats, ended up screwing Sidewinder for a lot of $ and I still have a failed HF "supreme" block here to show for it.

At best this brings them back to a "wary" standing from "absolutely not"

Sidewinders? oh, that company who sued me and others at Xtreme systems for comments we made on an internet forum. for years and years

Swiftech kits are much better looking

I despise the clear tubing. :/ The res and included dye is a nice touch though. If this had a QDC it would have given the Predator a run for it's money (based on what I personally value).

P.S.
The new mounting system on the Predator Rev 1.1 is a whole hell of a lot better than on the OG Predator. I noticed that while installing and forgot to mention it.

Sidewinders? oh, that company who sued me and others at Xtreme systems for comments we made on an internet forum. for years and years

I had not heard about that, sounds lame. I do know that Gary at Sidewinder made his EK customers with failed plating whole out of his own pocket.

I have stopped using any liquid cooling as it still needs fans to cool and it requires maintenance I don't like to bother with. Air, for me, is the best choice every time.
Actually water cooling uses air too but air without the intermediate step of liquid is the best. :)

well I clearly am more of a babe-magnet than the likes of you :D

I had not heard about that, sounds lame. I do know that Gary at Sidewinder made his EK customers with failed plating whole out of his own pocket.

sure everyone has good things about them as well as bad - I am highly flawed as a human being

Good thing EK didn't name these the "EK Challenger".

What a PR fiasco that'd be :eek:

I have a version 1.0 Predator 240 mm and it has been flawless, no leaking.

I contacted EK & PerformancePCS re: replacement.

Definitely looking forward to new rear plate mount.

My procrastination has been rewarded, again! I pre-ordered in the Fall and have been sitting on a Predator 360 for months, telling myself "this weekend for sure I'm making the time to do the install". Looking forward to the revised backplate for the install.

Back