EK has a new fan. It's fast, expensive, really thick and...

That looks like a thicker Gentle Typhoon.

Speaking of which, I believe I still have something like 10 2150 RPM Gentle Typhoons sitting around from a group buy a long time ago. Unfortunately not of the PWM variety.

Speaking of which, I believe I still have something like 10 2150 RPM Gentle Typhoons sitting around from a group buy a long time ago. Unfortunately not of the PWM variety.
Like I want to offer you money but I have fans leftover from the same buy I'm pretty sure lol. All my rads push/pull are GT Ap15s. I still love them but one day I'll replace them with some noctuas or something.

I had a number of 7k Delta 60x60x25 fans and didn't have a problem with them. I had one 8k Delta 60x60x38 but that thing I couldn't handle. Even turned down with a fan controller it was too damn loud and didn't cool any better than the regular 7k Deltas since I had to turn it down to make it bearable. I had never expected to use it in practice anyway but wanted to see what it could do.

I also had 80mm and 92mm Vantec Tornadoes. I had them running off a fan controller but didn't have any problems with them and they did a damn good job of cooling. I used them for quite a while until I moved to a Koolance EXOS in the AthlonXP days. The great thing about the Tornadoes compared to the Deltas was the fact that they were larger and the sound nowhere near as whiny or high pitched.

Never again will i ever purchase fans that are so loud they need a controller to keep from driving me insane. I made that mistake once with deltas as well lol.(20 years ago?) I guess a few of us made those mistakes way back when

Reactions: Auer
like this
I'm willing to pay for performance and features, but it does need to justify the cost. Its nice today that liquid cooling (and even case cooling in general) has become mainstream enough that you don't have to find exotic hard to find / import fans in order to get decent performance. Over a decade ago, I used Scythes (including their Gentle Typhoons), and picked up some of those 38mm thick Feser fans for static pressure/radiator use at what was a considerable cost.

More recently, I've found myself using Noctua (who have many great options and thanks to the chromax line, not all in their...distinctive..brownish color!) and Corsair (their MagLev line specifically which seem to be the best performing) . I've heard good things about EK's fans, and it looks like their latest offerings - from their new RGBs to the high static pressure rad-focused ones. I wonder how they'll stack up? Given their prices at over $20 per fan, they need to be worthwhile!

Thats ridiculous, I do not see a need for speeds like this in home enviroment. Industry? Maybe, but at home water cooling? Eh, I'd rather wait for black Chromax version of Noctua A12, which is pretty much improved and better version of Gentle Typhoon. Both high static pressure and airflow while still being whisper quiet.

I have a server 120mm Delta on my radiator, if you tune it correctly it's hardly noticable and allows for the computer to really pump air if it needs it. I rarely hear louder than a low hum unless I'm really pressing the machine on a hot day.

So they have their purpose. The key is to make sure you use a programmable fan controller (or built-in) and adjust it accordingly. I don't use a linear tune with mine, I use a more stepped tune (flat until threshold, bumps up, flat until threshold, etc), because it gives better control on the sound levels.

Lmao haha

I have 7 delta afb1212vhe which are 2x higher static pressure over 14mmh20

Flow over 250 cfm and are pwm from 500 to 3700 rpm.

The fan in the article is no where close to [H]

Lmao haha

I have 7 delta afb1212vhe which are 2x higher static pressure over 14mmh20

Flow over 250 cfm and are pwm from 500 to 3700 rpm.

The fan in the article is no where close to [H]
Did they come with industrial grade ear plugs? :)

Is there a temp difference where you all would accept the noise? What if cpu/gpu temps dropped by 5 degrees just due to these? I must admit that I am having trouble understanding the audience for these. Aren't competitive overclockers using extreme solutions like liquid nitrogen?

I could see sacrifices being made for noise level if you’re gaming on the cusp of thermal throttling, but you game with headphones on. I’m using the Ryzen Prism right now and it’s quite noisy when I’m in desktop without my headphones, but it doesn’t bother me so much when I’m gaming. If that’s your primary use case, it doesn’t matter nearly as much.

Puts me in mind of the old Sunon fans we used back in ancient times.

I had six of those in a tower... Old farts know how loud that damned thing was.

I don't miss it.

I had a number of 7k Delta 60x60x25 fans and didn't have a problem with them. I had one 8k Delta 60x60x38 but that thing I couldn't handle. Even turned down with a fan controller it was too damn loud and didn't cool any better than the regular 7k Deltas since I had to turn it down to make it bearable. I had never expected to use it in practice anyway but wanted to see what it could do.

I also had 80mm and 92mm Vantec Tornadoes. I had them running off a fan controller but didn't have any problems with them and they did a damn good job of cooling. I used them for quite a while until I moved to a Koolance EXOS in the AthlonXP days. The great thing about the Tornadoes compared to the Deltas was the fact that they were larger and the sound nowhere near as whiny or high pitched.

Yeah those 8k delta 60's were crazy had one going full bore on my 1400 tbird, lasted a week before I couldnt stand the headache it gave me.

Did they come with industrial grade ear plugs? :)

No because there is something that less experienced system builders overlook.

All they focus on is noise and they constantly think that the fans HAVE to be running at wide open.

In realityville, these are PWM fans and because they have brushless DC motors and industrial grade ball bearings, remember all Deltas are made for 24/7 year after year dependability in the corporate data center and beyond, these are incredibly resilient and strong fans.

At low RPM, around 800 to 900 via PWM to slow them down these are quieter than my Cisco 48 port switch. Yes all 7 fans make less noise than a Cisco 1u switch not more than 5 feet away from the pc.

The more important thing that is overlooked is that these fans really pump air and when I say pump air I mean that these fans at 800 rpm are moving more air by at least 2x than EK Vardars, or Scyth Ultra Kazes, etc... at their respective wide open RPM.

So no these didn't come with earplugs but what you should now understand is that a box full of Corsair HD120's is louder than these detlas flowing less air flow and far less pressure when they are spinning maximum than the Deltas at a whimpy 800 rpm.

No because there is something that less experienced system builders overlook.

All they focus on is noise and they constantly think that the fans HAVE to be running at wide open.

In realityville, these are PWM fans and because they have brushless DC motors and industrial grade ball bearings, remember all Deltas are made for 24/7 year after year dependability in the corporate data center and beyond, these are incredibly resilient and strong fans.

At low RPM, around 800 to 900 via PWM to slow them down these are quieter than my Cisco 48 port switch. Yes all 7 fans make less noise than a Cisco 1u switch not more than 5 feet away from the pc.

The more important thing that is overlooked is that these fans really pump air and when I say pump air I mean that these fans at 800 rpm are moving more air by at least 2x than EK Vardars, or Scyth Ultra Kazes, etc... at their respective wide open RPM.

So no these didn't come with earplugs but what you should now understand is that a box full of Corsair HD120's is louder than these detlas flowing less air flow and far less pressure when they are spinning maximum than the Deltas at a whimpy 800 rpm.
Honestly im the last person who is picky about any kind of fan noise......EXCEPT those 80mm industrial deltas and of course very few video cards sound very nice over 70%....most fans i just leave on full blast cause 30dba is nothing to me :)

I love that video of the 12 delta fans, ahh that swarm of angry bees sound, that sound that makes me recoil my fingers and cringe, that makes me reach for the tube of salonpas. :eek:

Honestly im the last person who is picky about any kind of fan noise......EXCEPT those 80mm industrial deltas and of course very few video cards sound very nice over 70%....most fans i just leave on full blast cause 30dba is nothing to me :)

Yeah it was just a generalist comment, not at anyone person.

If it's loud enough, even closed phones won't keep the noise away -- and forget about open phones.

I’m not saying it’s guaranteed. Everyone has different tolerances. The question was if there were a scenario where the noise-temp trade off is worthwhile. Headphone gaming might be a scenario where system volume isn’t such a big deal to the user. Everyone is different.

I just cleaned my AP-15s that were in an X58 rig that I updated to a Ryzen 1600.

The new motherboard has some pretty awesome fan control, and is able to turn them all the way down to near silent.

With the EK Meltemi fans, I want to see someone test them on a 240mm x 60mm radiator, turning below 1000rpm.

Don’t understand why you would release such a product. I got a box of Nidec VA450DCs for crap all, double sealed bearings, brass shaft and you can spin them anything from dead silent to ear bleeding with PWM or use them to dice you veggies.

3827F082-E44B-4920-B07B-E938F9C2E539.jpeg

Back