Eizo S2411W-U

Chippy

Weaksauce
Why no talk of the Eizo S2411W-U around here? I just got mine (on Saturday) and I have to say its completely stunning in every respect. The colours are just fabulous, greyscales smooth with no perceptable banding and I have no bad pixels and the backlight is *completely* even. Great contrast ratios, and its *very* bright. Its got HDCP enabled DVI connectors and it does 1:1 mapping of 1080p sources. Eizo clearly use high quality parts and the whole thing is beautifully put together. According to the distributor here in the UK, they have shipped "thousands" of Eizo units over the last few years and had "less than a handful with any pixel or sub-pixel errors."

Its marvellous. And although not "cheap" exactly, it was (here in the UK) roughly £100 less than the NEC LCD2690 that seems to be creating so much noise (literally, according to some unlucky owners! LOL).

I'm a very happy camper. I will post some pics shortly.

Cheers

Edit: Here's the pics. Any banding you can see is moire between my camera and the pixels on the Eizo panel. There's no visible banding in reality.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Chippy

Last pic looks great

Does Eizo have plans for 26" or anything bigger than 24"?

I currently have 2407WFP and the pixel pitch is too low for me

This monitor doesn't appear to be available yet in the US, but I'm curious about it.

Eizo uses an anti-glare coating - see their white paper on the subject - and I wonder how noticeable it is in normal use. That is, the coating on some monitors produces a slightly murky looking image, may even make the image seem to shimmer. Do you notice anthing of the sort with the Eizo?

Thanks

Those pic's look great , and the fact that your camera ( and the photographer...you )can take that picture for us all to see is great !

I hope when I get a 2690 it looks close to what you have displayed. Are any of those avalible for background ?

Cheers, back at ya!

Congrats!

I can imagine the pleasure you have right now cause I got the S2410W (W=White).

I can't imagine I would buy some other brand next time except for the Samsung maybe cause that's the panel used in my Eizo FlexScan S2410.

Crisp colors and even Half-Life Gaming looks like it supose to look when playing in 1920X1200 resolution.

So much light that I have it on 7% normally only with games and vids I put it on 100% brightness.

Eizo has a special team at the Samsung factories to pick out the best panels that's why you find seldom dead pixels on a Eizo monitor.

Hi, thanx for the great pics ! This Eizo look great !
I am still looking for a good monitor and the 2 candidate is Nec2690 and this eizo.
I read too many problem about the NEC, on the other hand there is almost zero review of the S2411.
Can u tell us about input lag, ghosting or other things in game.
One more thing native resolution is 1920X1200 ? isn't text too small ?

I recieved my Eizo Flexscan S2411W-U yesterday to feed my gaming habit.

It is worth every pound. The image quality is truly stunning with a build quality to match.

IMHO if you're in the market for a top of the range widescreen monitor look no further.

Thanx Dellboy, can you make a little review of this monitor, I am very interested in the gaming experience, and if there is the all common problem with many LCD of input lag, ghosting, tearing, ecc ecc

Thanks guys for the comments. Its really a very very very nice monitor. I couldn't be more pleased.

Someone asked have I calibrated it yet? Well my Pantone EyeOne Display 2 arrived this morning, so I have just done it. (It wasn't calibrated when I took the photos above.)

And do you know what? The calibrated image is almost *identical* to the uncalibrated image. The monitor as shipped (when in sRGB mode) is so damned close to a calibrated profile, to be honest I wish I hadn't spent £150 on the Pantone! Looking at the Macbeth colour checker charts and toggling between the calibrated profile and the default profile, you can *just about* tell a tiny difference in the blues. But looking at normal photos, its almost impossible to tell.

The only thing the Pantone device did tell me is that I had the panel way too bright on a brightness setting of 30 (out of 100). I have now settled on 14, which gives me 126 cd/m2.

I am not a mad keen gamer and by no means an expert on lag and ghosting etc, but it seems pretty good to me. I don't see any visible ghosting and the response is fast enough for me, but others might be more critical. Not sure.

Cheers all,

Chippy :)

Edit, sorry I forgot. I have come from a 19" Viewsonic VP191s with 1280x1024 resolution, so I was a little worried that the dot pitch on the Eizo would be too small. I should not have been concerned - its really no problem. Text is very readable for me.

Also, re: the anti-reflective coating - no you just don't notice it. No shimmering or anything.

Yes they do.... or so the rumours say....

Eizo UK e-mail reply:

Many Thanks for your enquiry.

EIZO are bringing new widescreens to the market this year.

These will be business widescreens at 20", 22", 24" & 30". So to answer
your question, yes we will have a 30" launched this year.

Was hoping for 26" or 27" with 1920x1200 res

Thanx Dellboy, can you make a little review of this monitor, I am very interested in the gaming experience, and if there is the all common problem with many LCD of input lag, ghosting, tearing, ecc ecc

I play many hours with rts games so ghosting and lag is not too an important criteria. CoH looks storming at 1920 x 1200.

As I have a network party this weekend I will endeavour to post my experience with my new toy.

I recieved my Eizo Flexscan S2411W-U yesterday to feed my gaming habit.

It is worth every pound. The image quality is truly stunning with a build quality to match.

IMHO if you're in the market for a top of the range widescreen monitor look no further.

This Eizo is an excellent monitor. It was in my "top 2" picks before I purchased the NEC 2690. I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the Eizo, but what steered me toward the NEC in the end, was that here in the US, although Eizo includes a 5-year warranty, the usage time is limited to 30,000 hours or less, and the warranty period of the LCD panel and backlight is limited to three years from the date of purchase. The NEC includes a "full" 4 year warranty, plus I purchased the NEC Extended Service to bring that to 5 years. It was a difficult decision to choose between the two monitors, as there have been some quality issues reported with the NEC, but I was willing to take that chance with the better warranty.
Marilyn

This Eizo is an excellent monitor. It was in my "top 2" picks before I purchased the NEC 2690. I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the Eizo, but what steered me toward the NEC in the end, was that here in the US, although Eizo includes a 5-year warranty, the usage time is limited to 30,000 hours or less, and the warranty period of the LCD panel and backlight is limited to three years from the date of purchase. The NEC includes a "full" 4 year warranty, plus I purchased the NEC Extended Service to bring that to 5 years. It was a difficult decision to choose between the two monitors, as there have been some quality issues reported with the NEC, but I was willing to take that chance with the better warranty.
Marilyn

To quickly answer Rhydas' question, yes 1920x1200.

Regards your comments Marilyn, for me too it was a toss up between the NEC and the Eizo. What swung if for me was the reports of problems with the NEC - and in particular people saying they had 1 or 2 dead pixels. Before I purchased the Eizo, I asked the supplier over the phone "what would you say my chances were of getting a perfect <Eizo> panel? He said "99.9% Over the last few years I can count on the fingers of one hand how many panels we have shipped that people have called us about and complained about dead pixels." He said that fully on the understanding that I would be sending the panel back straight away if it had any faulty pixels. And I happy to say I have none.

Regards the NEC, I suspect its just as good as - or maybe even better than the Eizo, providing you get a good one. I felt the Eizo was less of a gamble.

Chippy

The EIZO was on my short list too. However, I was concerned about the panel not being IPS so I'm currently leaning towards one of the NECs (2490 or 2690). Can you comment on the color shift (or contrast shift I guess) if you turn your head at an angle, or look at the corners of the screen at an angle vs. moving your head until the corner is directly perpendicular to your eyesight? Can you tell a difference?

Or even watching movies with more than one person, you're going to have to watch it off angle. Is the color/contrast shift noticeable?

The EIZO was on my short list too. However, I was concerned about the panel not being IPS so I'm currently leaning towards one of the NECs (2490 or 2690). Can you comment on the color shift (or contrast shift I guess) if you turn your head at an angle, or look at the corners of the screen at an angle vs. moving your head until the corner is directly perpendicular to your eyesight? Can you tell a difference?

Or even watching movies with more than one person, you're going to have to watch it off angle. Is the color/contrast shift noticeable?

There is *some* darkening of the screen if you view it off angle. I would say you have about 90~120 degrees of decent viewing angle. Sitting in front of the monitor and moving your head around, its no problem at all. And a couple of people watching a movie from a few feet away, likewise I would say no problem. (Although 24" is way too small for watching movies anyway in my opinion).

I suspect S-IPS is still better on viewing angles. But then S-IPS is not so good at black levels and that's really important for movies. I wouldn't buy an S-IPS panel for movies myself. Games, yes. Movies, no.

Chippy

Here's what its like from different viewing angles. I used manual exposure and kept the exposure settings the same for each shot, so what you see is exactly how it looks.

The two side-on shots are at 45 degrees.

web1.jpg

web2.jpg

web3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chip

tried to do some research on the 2411 and I can barely find anything that's in English. I did a search on pricegrabber and found only one store that sells it. Putting 2 and 2 together, I gather this monitor has not been release to the U.S.A. yet, but even if it has, it certainly is not being reviewed or talked about....which is surprising to me since Eizo is supposed to be top of the line for photoediting.

i would really love to see a full comparison between this eizo and the benq...

those are my 2 choices for the moment

can anyone tell me if the dynamic contrast of 1:3000 (eizo) is a big improvement compared to the normal contrast of 1:1000 (benq)

how about scaling, aspect ratio, etc etc... is it actually perfect on the eizo, in the contrary to all other 24"?

and response time / ghosting / input lag... is it about the same for both or is one better then the other?

IF the eizo is really 110% perfect, I would gladly pay 170 euro extra compared to the benq, but if it still caries the risque of having downsides, i rather save myself some money and go for the benq...

Chippy, thanks for the pictures. I can see the contrast difference, but it's not that bad really.

Hey mate

Battling to find this monitor in the UK. Where did you pick up your's from?

I got mine from http://www.nativedigital.co.uk/shop/

I can recommend them very highly. I ordered on Thursday for delivery Friday and unfortunately they screwed up with their ordering system. *However*, at least they were decent enough to mail me to apologize and say they had screwed up (unlike most of the online vendors who just let you down without so much as a word.) And then when I phoned nativedigital to say I was disappointed at not getting the monitor on Friday, they said they would arrange to get one shipped out immediately for Saturday a.m. delivery and they would pick up all the shipping costs. Saturday delivery is normally pretty damned expensive, so I was impressed! And sure enough the monitor turned up at 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Not a prayer of that sort of service had I ordered from e.g. Dabs, I think.

Also, they seem like a nice bunch and you can phone them and ask advice and stuff. Very good indeed.

Cheers

Chippy

Does this monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping and 1080P HDMI? I was thinking of using a PS3 with it for movies and games.

Does this monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping and 1080P HDMI? I was thinking of using a PS3 with it for movies and games.

It definitely supports 1080p over HDMI. According to Eizo, the S2410W model does 1:1 mapping and the newer S2411W is the same except it now supports HDCP as well, so I would think yes you are OK.

However, I don't have anything with a 1080p output so I can't test it. Best to check with your supplier before ordering, if this is important to you.

Cheers

Chippy

Hi Chippy,
I've been looking at these monitors for a while now and its only the dead pixel policy of Eizo Uk that has put me off taking the plunge. When you spoke with Native Digital - how did they react to you saying you would be sending back if there was a dead pixel ? - were they happy to give you a refund in that circumstance or were they offering a direct swap for a another Eizo 2411 new monitor?

To quickly answer Rhydas' question, yes 1920x1200.

Regards your comments Marilyn, for me too it was a toss up between the NEC and the Eizo. What swung if for me was the reports of problems with the NEC - and in particular people saying they had 1 or 2 dead pixels. Before I purchased the Eizo, I asked the supplier over the phone "what would you say my chances were of getting a perfect <Eizo> panel? He said "99.9% Over the last few years I can count on the fingers of one hand how many panels we have shipped that people have called us about and complained about dead pixels." He said that fully on the understanding that I would be sending the panel back straight away if it had any faulty pixels. And I happy to say I have none.

Regards the NEC, I suspect its just as good as - or maybe even better than the Eizo, providing you get a good one. I felt the Eizo was less of a gamble.

Chippy

Hi Chippy,
I've been looking at these monitors for a while now and its only the dead pixel policy of Eizo Uk that has put me off taking the plunge. When you spoke with Native Digital - how did they react to you saying you would be sending back if there was a dead pixel ? - were they happy to give you a refund in that circumstance or were they offering a direct swap for a another Eizo 2411 new monitor?

Under UK law, if you buy something online, you have 7 days to send it back for a full refund. You don't even have to give a reason - just send it back and you are entitled to a 100&#37; refund. (Incidentally, any supplier that says they will charge you a "re-stocking fee" is breaking the law - they are not allowed to do that.) So it doesn't have to have dead pixels or anything, you can just change your mind and decide you don't want it. This is quite useful for things like dead pixels though and its why I always buy things like this online - you get much better protection than buying in a shop where you don't have the right to send things back just because you changed your mind.

I asked Native Digital about dead pixels etc and what was their policy. I had hoped they might offer a pixel check service, but they said the panels come direct from Eizo so they could not.

But Martin at Native Digital went on to say that they have hardly ever had a problem with dead pixels with Eizo, and he went on to say about the UK legislation and said they would be quite happy for me to send the panel back if I was in any way unhappy with it. I think in those circumstances, you just get your money back.

Cheers

Chippy

Under UK law, if you buy something online, you have 7 days to send it back for a full refund. You don't even have to give a reason - just send it back and you are entitled to a 100% refund. (Incidentally, any supplier that says they will charge you a "re-stocking fee" is breaking the law - they are not allowed to do that.) So it doesn't have to have dead pixels or anything, you can just change your mind and decide you don't want it. This is quite useful for things like dead pixels though and its why I always buy things like this online - you get much better protection than buying in a shop where you don't have the right to send things back just because you changed your mind.

I asked Native Digital about dead pixels etc and what was their policy. I had hoped they might offer a pixel check service, but they said the panels come direct from Eizo so they could not.

But Martin at Native Digital went on to say that they have hardly ever had a problem with dead pixels with Eizo, and he went on to say about the UK legislation and said they would be quite happy for me to send the panel back if I was in any way unhappy with it. I think in those circumstances, you just get your money back.

Cheers

Chippy

Thanks for the info chippy.
glad to hear native digital are flexible and offered choice to return if unhappy. I wouldnt have thought the 7 day UK distance selling regs apply if you have unpacked and tried the item?
On a technical note - how have you found the monitor for playing DVD and video?
I had a demo of the previous version, the S2410, at the Eizo offices - and the "twinkling" (as behardware.com call it) due to the overdrive circuits made video unwatchable - it appeared as small white noisy flashes constantly on the screen. Is there any way you can turn OFF the overdrive in the 2411 model?
cheers,
pedrito

Thanks for the info chippy.
glad to hear native digital are flexible and offered choice to return if unhappy. I wouldnt have thought the 7 day UK distance selling regs apply if you have unpacked and tried the item?
On a technical note - how have you found the monitor for playing DVD and video?
I had a demo of the previous version, the S2410, at the Eizo offices - and the "twinkling" (as behardware.com call it) due to the overdrive circuits made video unwatchable - it appeared as small white noisy flashes constantly on the screen. Is there any way you can turn OFF the overdrive in the 2411 model?
cheers,
pedrito

The distance selling regs DO allow you to unpack and try out items, so long as you keep the packaging in good condition. I didn't think so myself until about a year ago when I had an argument with someone about it, and I lost! I checked the legislation itself, and he was right.

Regards DVD, I haven't watched much. As I said to a previous poster, 24" is too small for films imho. If I want to watch a film I will sit down and watch it on a bigger screen. Having said that, I haven't seen any "twinking". That might be because I found I prefered the colours in "normal" mode rather than the specific "movie" mode? Dunno. Still, movies look extremely good to me on this screen.

Cheers

Chippy.

I have red people talking about the Eizo FlexScan S2410 as well maybe for people who are not so much interested in the HDCP or 1080 this can be a alternative to the S2411 since you would expect it to drop in price.

I am not the kinda guy who buys his equipment over night and I also followed the BenQ discussions especially here on HARDFORUM cause that's how I ended up here in the first place.

I also have been reading reviews in English and German about my Eizo and believe me the BenQ 24" doesn't come near the Eizo quality.

You can talk about warranties en pixelpolicies but in the end you want supurb image and color quality that's the bottom line anywayz.

So here some of my sreen pics to get an idea with the original Wallpaper taken with a Canon Powershot A620:

EizoFlexScanS2401W_Jan2007_0441_res.jpg

SymbioseSennheiserHD490Plantronicsm.jpg

Download a handy tool to callibrate your monitor: http://www.eizo.nl/lcdtestutility.html

Really awesome pics, nice! Thanks for posting all these. I have a question regarding vid card color fidelity, between NVidia and Ati which has better color for 2D images especially if you have a nice screen like this Eizo?

One more please, ATi claims 10bit processing for some of their cards, does Ati have more accurate color (for 2D) then NVidia and does this make a difference on 8bit or 10bit LCDs?

Thankie!

Back