EIZO Repair/Warranty Experience

Limp Gawd
I got a FlexScan EV2736W (27" 1440p) in the beginning of September. As you may know, we have a thread right here for it. Overall: Good monitor, awesome stand, decent speakers (better than my last NEC's), no buzzing noise, but it has issues. There is not much information out there on EIZO repair/warranty experience in general, at least in the USA -- so, felt it appropriate to start a new thread.

0v8c.jpg

Excuse the poor quality, but there is what appears to be backlight bleeding (two spots in the top-right) and issues in the lower left. The monitor also came with at least 3 dead pixels.

After one week of exchanging emails and sending in multiple photos and a required phone call to Eizo Support in California, they gave me a RMA# and told me they plan on "repairing" the monitor instead of a straight-up replacement. They told me they''ll attempt to replace the panel, or send a replacement if they don't have the parts (not very reassuring to hear). I'll post a follow-up when I get my monitor back for anyone who may find this information useful. If anyone has experience with EIZO repair work, I would greatly appreciate hearing about your experiences. So far, a bit disappointed on initial impressions with EIZO QC. Two of the other EV2736W owners here have reported uniform screens with 0 dead pixels. I am not sure how this one made it out of the factory in Japan.

I assume that's bleed and not glow, right?

As for Eizo and repairs, yeah, I think the way they work is to repair rather than replace. I chatted with them once about repairing an old Eizo I got that was still under warranty, and was put off a bit by the fact that I had to pay shipping, but I guess that is how a lot of companies work nowadays.

Since you purchased it recently, couldn't you have alternatively just returned/exchanged it from wherever you got it from? Sometimes credit cards (I think Amex) also allow returns, even if the store you bought it from doesn't normally allow it.

It is light bleeding in three areas on the screen and you're right -- I should have returned it for a refund instead of RMA through EIZO.

I got the monitor back today. Immediately, I was disappointed when I saw they didn't give me back the original EV2736W box I used to ship to them (which sits the monitor vertically) and instead shipped the monitor horizontally in a generic Eizo box they must use for the RMAs. This just doesn't sit right with me:

fs7c.jpg

But that wasn't the important problem to worry about. I turned it on. No change; still the light bleeding, still the dead pixels. This time I took a quick photo in night mode on my camera. The notes on the repair receipt state "No problem, readjusted to specs, Jose." They didn't change the panel or send me a replacement monitor as they said they would. I had to ask the Eizo technician on the phone if this is just some sort of joke? He says he will contact the person in charge of my RMA and they will respond by tomorrow.

c525.jpg

I just can't accept these types of flaws for a $900 monitor. I don't consider myself to be super picky about a dead pixel somewhere off in a corner, but this light bleeding is unacceptable to me. Am I being unreasonable about this?

I just can't accept these types of flaws for a $900 monitor. I don't consider myself to be super picky about a dead pixel somewhere off in a corner, but this light bleeding is unacceptable to me. Am I being unreasonable about this?

You are being perfectly reasonable. I wouldn't want light bleed regardless of what the monitor costs. But no Eizo is cheap. You'd think Eizo would have been better about it.

If they are going to have the same lousy quality control as everyone else, there is little point to paying a premium for one of their monitors.

It looks awful, and I don't get why they don't make a straight replacement of the display instead of their so called "repair" effort. Eizo CS in Sweden is excellent and would have had that monitor replaced in no time for you, weird that they don't seem to give a shit in the US, or at least in California.

I wonder what Eizo Japan would say if they knew that's how the customer service was running outside Japan.

I wonder what Eizo Japan would say if they knew that's how the customer service was running outside Japan.

Looking at the stereotypical vision of corporate Japan they would probably be fairly ashamed.

SHAMEFUR DISPRAY

Oh. That was a pun, too.

Anyway god, that's worse than my Qnix looked when I first got it, and if you have any dead pixels, that's already worse than it is (mine just has one dead subpixel). I thought my backlight bleed was a bit bad, but that's awful. Plus, I fixed mine with just a bit of cardboard, and now it looks perfect. For 900 bucks, that's pathetic. I didn't even accept this stuff from 600-750 dollar monitors, so you not accepting it on a 900 dollar monitor is perfectly understandable to me.

Well this kind of crap is why I gave up on mainstream monitors. They can't get their act together, so why bother? Buy Qnix for 320, get better than the other stuff I got, profit. Gets the job done... for PC gaming anyway.

It is obvious that "Jose" can't tell some of the worst backlight bleed I have ever seen from a hole in the ground. Also, 3 dead/stuck pixels are inexcusable in a monitor approaching a grand....

HP provded me awesome support for my (then) $550 LP2475w. I called about a blue stuck subpixel, and 2 days later a person showed up and swapped out my monitor for another one on the spot. The second panel I received had bad tinting issues and 2 stuck subpixels. I phoned in to support, and once again the same guy showed back up at my apartment and said "let's see if we can get it right this time..."

I still have the 2nd flawless replacement today which has given me zero issues over the last 12k hours of use.

This bullshit is completely inexcusable. I would buck it up the line and speak to a supervisor. Also, Jose needs a pink slip or a new eyeglass/contact prescription. Or both.

EDIT: 12,213 hours as of 2pm today

Last edited:
These are the kinds of stories that give people nightmares for weeks.

Hope this mess gets handled right ASAP.

This story is quite odd. My contact at a distributor for EIZO said they would replace any monitor even with one dead pixel.

Problem is that usually BLB and a few dead pixels are just within specification... I do know it sucks though.

Their RMA department is probably about not losing money, and its sole task is to complete as many per day as possible, so quality comes 2nd. Sad state of affairs, but seems all to common in 2013.

I remember when I got my NEC 20WGX2 in England from first batch (cost me 470 quid). They all had bad backlights, I contacted NEC straight away, they said wait till 2nd batch and they wll send me a new one. DHL came, with a new boxed unit about 3 weeks later, and I sent me old one back (all at their expense).

Massive props to NEC, the screen is still great although the DVI input has died, I think it was rocking about 17000 hours or so, but can check.

Back