Eizo Foris FS2333

That is really bad.
Here is mine from some months ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxm83hz7wxl4b8t/Screen shot 2012-12-13 at 12.55.02 PM.png
Notice everything is >1de. The sensor looks bad imo. If this is what you get each time. I had a Spyder 3 go out like that with obscene values. Did you go through the white balance setup first by chance? Not sure if that would change it to be much better as it has more to do with color not greyscale. Did you choose Spyder 4 in the menu? I would think you have to to get it work at all. Get a new puck on the screen if you can.

I've selected Spyder4 white led in ColorEyes Display Pro. And honestly I don't think my sensor is broken... I've also tested a netbook monitor and the results seems legit: very poor in everything :D
I've done a lot of tests:
on hdmi with amd gpu/on dvi with amd gpu/on vga with amd gpu (to check if it was the "hdmi problem" with values between 16-235)/ on vga with intel gpu (to check if it was a driver issue).

The results are almost the same!

I hope that tomorrow morning Eizo's support will help me to find out what is the problem :)

Although hardly a super accurate way to test, how does your eyeball sensor read the black levels?

When compared to your dying TN, is the 2333 basically the same as to contrast + blacks, just based on how they look? If so, it may not be the calibrator, but perhaps you got a bad revision there.

To be honest, I can't find a lot of differences between the blacks of the 2 monitors... maybe because I'm psychologically influenced :D
But, to be honest again, if I hadn't test the monitor with a calibrator I wouldn't never notice this contrast problem. This is because it's my first IPS and I've heard about "ips glow"...so I was going to assume that this was "normal" and not "defective". Colors are really impressive compared to my dying TN!
I've tried to watch some dark scenes from few movies (like tron legacy, or the final battle in sw episode 3) and the black disappoint me a little... but as I said before, I thought "hey, I've never experienced an IPS panel, it's a good panel when you work with photoshop, not when you watch a movie, so its behavior is normal!"

I've tried to watch some dark scenes from few movies (like tron legacy, or the final battle in sw episode 3) and the black disappoint me a little... but as I said before, I thought "hey, I've never experienced an IPS panel, it's a good panel when you work with photoshop, not when you watch a movie, so its behavior is normal!"

Yeah, without something to compare to, you wouldn't know if it has a problem or not.

I'm not sure if it'd help at all, but on my NEC 2490, which has paper specs of 800:1 (but I expect it's closer to 600-700:1) blacks are okay in a well lit room, but if the room is dim at all, blacks turn a dark grayish type of black. So maybe you can use that as some kind of comparison.

I have a S-PVA next to it, with paper specs of 1000:1, and it's blacks are noticeably darker... what seems dark gray-black on my 2490 looks like actual black on the S-PVA. Although in a dark room, blacks look lousy on both of them (which is kind of normal for most monitors besides C-PVA and A-MVA).

So if your blacks in the center of the screen, which shouldn't normally be affected by IPS glow, look sort of like dark gray/black, then your contrast may be somewhat low there.

No IPS/ PLS display should be hitting even <5dE in anything. 10's, 30's, and 70's are insane. If the Eizo color looks well enough to your eyes then the puck is worthless (I know you don't want to hear that or believe it but...) A value of 20-70 dE would make things look like outer space weird. It would be obvious if the screen really was displaying those results. We did add the CED pro layer but I have had nothing but great results with that package. Let us know what Eizo says. Hopefully they can assist.

No IPS/ PLS display should be hitting even <5dE in anything. 10's, 30's, and 70's are insane. If the Eizo color looks well enough to your eyes then the puck is worthless (I know you don't want to hear that or believe it but...) A value of 20-70 dE would make things look like outer space weird. It would be obvious if the screen really was displaying those results. We did add the CED pro layer but I have had nothing but great results with that package. Let us know what Eizo says. Hopefully they can assist.

Wait... I've noticed that the error comes from the sw!

Look at this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhl4hk04v5kqb6b/deamd.PNG

As you can see the "target lab" values decrease from 100 to 17.1, while in the previous pic the values are always set to 100. In fact, if you compare the measured values you can see that they are very similar!

BTW, I hope that Eizo support will assist me asap.

I had a Spyder 3 for a few years and it had problems measuring contrast properly. It told me one of my NEC monitors had ~500:1 contrast, even though I could clearly see that it had better contrast than my other screens that measured higher. When I got a i1Display Pro it measured it as just over 1000:1 instead. I don't know how good the Spyder 4 is compared to 3, but I would assume it's better, so I can't say for sure whether your Eizo screen has backlight bleed that's messing up the contrast, or if it's the Spyder 4 which is having problems measuring the contrast. You'll have to trust your eyes on this one.

Wait... I've noticed that the error comes from the sw!

OK. This is good. Looking normal now at least from measurement. Now to Eizo for those high black level values. Can't remember if you chose 'Absolute Black' vs. 'Relative'. Absolute gives a subtle crush on the very last black stage that I like and usually adds a few more bits of contrast (does not mess with greyscale detail). Not enough to make up for your 300:1 discrepancy but check it in case. Good luck.

Guys, I am ordering this monitor. What do you guys think about it? Is it any good for gaming and long office work?

Ok, little update:
I've contacted Eizo, Amazon and Datacolor. Eizo didn't answer me yet (they only send me a datasheet with the settings they have used to have a contrast of 1000:1, and these settings are the same I'm using except for overdrive set to enhanced - btw also with enhanced overdrive my contrast doesn't increase), Amazon told me that they would know the answer from Eizo before replace the monitor, while Datacolor asks me to reset the monitor and proceed with a FullCal and to send them back the icc profiles. Now I'm waiting!

ps. absolute black AND relative. No huge differences. But I've noticed that in this software you cannot choose a contrast greater than 500:1 ! (under black-relative)

Thought I'd chime in with my own experience. I bought an FS2333 as an upgrade from an NEC 20WMGX2 but ultimately returned it.

What I liked about it:
- Size, dot pitch, and resolution are perfect for gaming and general purpose. For this alone, I think the FS2333 is superior to the NEC.
- The matte screen > the glossy NEC which becomes really annoying with reflections.
- Interface is really slick and the brightness sensor works very well.
- Calibrates very nicely and you can get near perfect colors with just hardware R/B/G controls.

What I didn't like about it:
- IPS glow was pretty terrible in the bottom corners. I guess this is normal now for almost all IPSs, but my NEC only has glow at extreme viewing angles. To be fair, it was only noticeable with a black background.
- Backlight bleed in the bottom right. Not terrible, but noticeable in a dark room. My NEC has no blacklight bleed.

I almost exchanged it due to the backlight bleed, but then decided the $420 just wasn't worth it to me. Of course if my NEC ever croaks, I'll probably end up with this monitor.

Last edited:
I almost exchanged it due to the backlight bleed, but then decided the $420 just wasn't worth it to me. Of course if my NEC ever croaks, I'll probably end up with this monitor.

Shame about the bleed. And yeah, for whatever reason there have been some users commenting that these are 'glow-ier' than usual. I am still curious if anyone has taken one apart and determined if it's an IPS or PLS panel.

Other alternatives, in case you feel like trying something else, could be the 2336 (trading low input lag for PWM-free), and it's about $50 or so cheaper than the 2333. Or NEC's newest 23"er, which would be about $150 cheaper ... when it becomes available, that it.

Or if you want to go cheap, just get a refurb 2332 direct from Eizo for $180.

Thought I'd chime in with my own experience. I bought an FS2333 as an upgrade from an NEC 20WMGX2 but ultimately returned it.

What I liked about it:
- Size, dot pitch, and resolution are perfect for gaming and general purpose. For this alone, I think the FS2333 is superior to the NEC.
- The matte screen > the glossy NEC which becomes really annoying with reflections.
- Interface is really slick and the brightness sensor works very well.
- Calibrates very nicely and you can get near perfect colors with just hardware R/B/G controls.

What I didn't like about it:
- IPS glow was pretty terrible in the bottom corners. I guess this is normal now for almost all IPSs, but my NEC only has glow at extreme viewing angles. To be fair, it was only noticeable with a black background.
- Backlight bleed in the bottom right. Not terrible, but noticeable in a dark room. My NEC has no blacklight bleed.

Was the pixel response noticeably better than the NEC?

It's the lack of input lag that you notice far more. But it is faster than 20WMGX2, yes. Noticeably but not spectacularly. Hard to separate response from pixel to input in general use. Image creation is much faster.

Guys hello,

I recently purchased an EIZO FORIS FS2333 monitor from Amazon.de. The first one they sent me had 2 dead sub-pixels and I asked for a replacement. They sent me a second one, without any further questions asked. The second monitor was better in all terms than the fist one. It had NO dead pixels, better color calibration and better control of backlight bleeding. Everything would be perfect except.....
At the time I received the second monitor I carefully examined it visually as soon as I opened the box in order to make sure I had not be sent a refurbished one. Everything seemed OK but at some point, with the help of a LED flashlight I discovered minor scratches on the (top?) surface of the panel. I immediately checked the first monitor that I had not yet returned and to my great disappointment I discovered the same scratches. These scratches are best visible with the monitor turned off (or displaying a black background), hitting the light from the sides at an angle of approximately 45 degrees and staring at the panel right in front.
At this point I do not know what is going on. I have open communication with Amazon and EIZO, describing the problem. Is Amazong doing something wrong? Is there a problem at the production line of EIZO?? Is there a problem at the production line of the manufacturer of the panel (LG or Samsung)??? I am waiting their response.
Meanwhile, all of you guys that have an FS2333 at your house, can you please check your monitors and let me know if they exhibit the same marks? Especially let me know if you have purchased from Amazon. Remember: Black background, light source from the sides at an angle of 45 degrees and you staring at the monitor straight ahead.
The S/N of the monitors are 46204023 and 46640023, both manufactured in February 2013.
I attach some pictures bellow, showing the problem (left, center and right part of the panel). Right side does not have these marks as you can see. Do not pay any attention at the white dots, they are just dust particles.

Thank you.

left.jpg

center.jpg

right.jpg

Last edited:
It is on the label on the back. First is P/N and bellow is Mfd: date.
But please, inform me if you bought from Amazon or from somewhere else.

PS: I live in Greece/Europe and I purchased the monitor from Amazon-Germany.

Last edited:
I have seen this before, but on other brands. I can't remember which panel exhibited it but it was not a cheap one.

I would not say this is transit damage but a manufacturing phenomenon.

I would not say this is transit damage but a manufacturing phenomenon.

My thought exactly. It was very strange that both monitors, even-though the had no other marks, they exhibited the same scratches on the panel. ABSOLUTELY vertically and ABSOLUTELY parallel. If they were man made they should change angle at some point at the panel. That's why I am asking about your manufacturing dates and/or the SN!!! Furthermore, I think it is a flaw of the panel's manufacturer, not of EIZO!
The question is what do I do? Keep it? Return it and get a refund?
I am waiting for further comments on this by you guys.

Thanks.

I contacted my regional Eizo rep via a phone call. Then shipped to a pro photo shop in my city to purchase. I picked it up personally. Store is 1.5 miles from home.

The question is what do I do? Keep it? Return it and get a refund?

Depends if you can live with it or not. As long as its not noticeable when in use and only visible in direct light then it would not bother me. I am pretty sure I have owned a panel like this before and it never effected the reliability or performance.

I got mine from Amazon.com. The screen is perfect without dead pixels, but the ISP glow is horrible :(

Eizo told me that it's better using a x-rite colorimeter instead of the datacolor one. Datacolor told me that the monitor is in "eco-mode", while it's not. So I've asked Amazon for a replacement to finally find out if the monitor is faulty or not.

I'll keep you up to date!

Never had an IPS before and never seen IPS glow. Is it really that bad with this monitor?

I am missing a few details about IPS glow though. Is it something that only happens at extreme angles or any angle?

Does it show up more in a darker room even at normal viewing angles?

Thanks in advance for any info,

Sy.

It is pretty bad for my unit. I don't know about others. It may happen anywhere in your screen there. Yes, it does show up in darker room for some angles.

Last edited:
Depends if you can live with it or not. As long as its not noticeable when in use and only visible in direct light then it would not bother me. I am pretty sure I have owned a panel like this before and it never effected the reliability or performance.

Well, it depends... I think that if at any time I change position of my PC and there is a window next to it, then at some time of the day the scratches will be visible and , as such, annoying. But if this happens after 2 or 3 years, then I will not have the option to return the product.

If you can see the scratches when light shines on it from the side, under reasonable viewing conditions, I'd do another exchange if I was you ... or return and buy from somewhere else. But it depends on how noticeable they are. If only visible with a flashlight blasting onto the screen, from 1-2 cm away, I wouldn't worry about it.

Any news on when the FS2334 would be announced? I thought it was most likely going to be announced last week but nothing happened.

So bought this from B&H last thrusday. Got it on Friday. I love how accurate this monitor is, no backlight crush and minimal blur. However, I was a bit disappointed with the backlight uniformity. I'm not sure if this is backlight bleed or just glow. I had a dell 2412m with some glow and bleed but it was not like this.

IMG_0940.jpg

It can go away a bit when I look at it from a different angle.

IMG_0932.jpg

Straight on shot

IMG_0920.jpg

I notice it most when playing a dark game or watching a movie. Its a bit distracting at best.

Are issues like this common with this monitor? Do all of the owners here have similar issues? If I exchange it do I have a better than 50/50 chance of getting one with less bleed?

Does anyone have experience with this monitor? I was going to start a new thread but thought that this thread deserved the bump.

Funny you put up the first pictures in the thread, I must have seen you post this somewhere else maybe? It's IPS glow and I consider it totally unacceptable at that intensity. I do not have personal experience with this monitor but I've seen a lot of consumer and tech reviews on it and it seems that the panel quality can vary significantly. Some people have reported getting glow free panels, others are so horrified by their samples they don't ever try for another. I would send yours back and try for another. If you really feel like gambling for uniform dark screen try an Eizo FG2421. You are even more likely to get a messed up panel that needs exchanging if you do that though.

Does anyone have experience with this monitor? I was going to start a new thread but thought that this thread deserved the bump.

Maybe try reading the thread :rolleyes: and the EV2336 is better.

I did read, NCX, before and after buying the monitor. Got this monitor after I took back a Samsung s27c750p, which I bought based off partly off of your review. The motion for the Samsung was terrible in dark scenes and the black crush was severe. Thank you for your suggestion anyway....

Funny you put up the first pictures in the thread, I must have seen you post this somewhere else maybe? It's IPS glow and I consider it totally unacceptable at that intensity. I do not have personal experience with this monitor but I've seen a lot of consumer and tech reviews on it and it seems that the panel quality can vary significantly. Some people have reported getting glow free panels, others are so horrified by their samples they don't ever try for another. I would send yours back and try for another. If you really feel like gambling for uniform dark screen try an Eizo FG2421. You are even more likely to get a messed up panel that needs exchanging if you do that though.

I gave a VA panel a shot (Samsung s27c750p) and never again. Way to much black crush.

I had assumed that the ips glow was the same for most fs2333 owners.

Way to much black crush.
Sigh... this is VA tech's Achilles heal and I do wish it would just go away. There must be a way to keep it from happening but it must be kind of expensive... at any rate, of all the "regular" problems different LCD panel types have, black crush is less irritating to me and obviously, it will vary from display to display, even within the same model.

Sigh... this is VA tech's Achilles heal and I do wish it would just go away. There must be a way to keep it from happening but it must be kind of expensive... at any rate, of all the "regular" problems different LCD panel types have, black crush is less irritating to me and obviously, it will vary from display to display, even within the same model.

The loss of detail in dark games actually made the Samsung a worse option for games like amnesia and fear than my current eizo. The black depth is bad on the eizo but I love how accurate it is.

The loss of detail in dark games actually made the Samsung a worse option for games like amnesia and fear than my current eizo. The black depth is bad on the eizo but I love how accurate it is.

Loss of detail? I thought black crush was the faint haze or cloudiness in the middle of the screen when it's doing darker shades of grey. It's not very noticeable to me, unless I'm on this forum...

Edit: Maybe that's gamma shift? I'm not clear on the correct terminology. The "black crush" where all dark shades are just black is not an issue for the Eizo. The Black to grey to white gradients are excellent. Rather it's an issue where the center of the screen has sort of a slightly hazy roughly circular sheen across it. It affects colors as well but it doesn't affect the bottom line pure black, which the entire display should be capable of (mine is, I have proof with black screen test images). Literally the only time it becomes noticeable is browsing with dark solid shades or using testing patterns. Like the colors on this site. In gaming on this FG2421 it is not noticeable unless the game gives you a solid shade of dark grey on a large portion of the middle of the screen.

Long exposure: The screen appears to be purple instead of black here, but similar to PRAD tests, this helps show bright spots--the uniformity is pretty stark.

Short with flash: This is closer to how the screen appears to my eyes. Pure, real black to pure real white, and a lot of steps in between.

There is no way I could ever "photograph" the gamma shift or black crush I experience on the fg2421. It's an effect that I cannot detect unless scrolling across a solid background.

Last edited:
Back