Eizo Foris FG2421: 120hz VA Panel

Just wanted to let everyone know that now there is ReShade Framework that supports 3DLUT's, which can improve any monitor's color accuracy, BUT they create the most difference on monitor's with bad or at least sub-par color accuracy, like Eizo Foris FG2421. Here's the difference between a simple 1DLUT that you'd get from an ICC profile (left) and the one calibrated with 3DLUT (right). FG2421 is not perfect even after such a calibration, covering 93% of sRGB colorspace, but the image accuracy difference is huge and makes FG2421 is a much better monitor!

Colorspace.jpg

I can post more comparisons, but after 3DLUT, 95% of all HCFR default readings/measurements, including all 25%-50%-75%-100% saturation and ColorChecker sweeps are under dE = 1, although 100% green saturation sweep has dE = 1.2 and 100% red saturation sweeps measures dE = 2.0 (the highest of all readings/measurements taken). To make FG2421's colorspace this accurate I used 4000 or so pattern patches, which did take some 90 minutes to go through, but it was a one-time calibration to be used for all games I have and those I will get in there! Now there is no need to use Borderless FullScreen Mode and you can enable V-Sync normally! No need to use CPKeeper or Windowed Borderless Gaming / FullScreenizer applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
for those interested in learning how to use the injector with a 3DLUT, see florian's instructions here. Also keep in mind that this will only work with supported games, it isn't a system wide implementation, so it won't work for the windows desktop environment.

for those interested in learning how to use the injector with a 3DLUT, see florian's instructions here. Also keep in mind that this will only work with supported games, it isn't a system wide implementation, so it won't work for the windows desktop environment.

Yeah. There are very few unsupported games and there is definitely a stronger support than one from profilers, such as CPKeeper, which required the use of FullScreen Windowed Mode.

I wonder if such a thing is possible for Windows-desktop environment. Windows does use some kind of 3D hardware acceleration/rendering (Aero) to run desktop. There's got to be a way to apply 3DLUT's to those DLL's or something, but its up to someone OTHER than ArgyllCMS/dispcalGUI developers.

I am also highly surprised that there have been so few excited people over this feature on ReShade and AVS Display Calibration forums. IMHO, it is a big deal as now you can almost exclude color accuracy as a factor as long as colorspace covers 90-100% of sRGB.

Can somebody recommend me, as a 2421 owner, a larger display with VA-like contrast? I love this monitor but the size isn't cutting it any more. I have my steam account loaded with games and I don't want to use an hdtv. I have a 9G Kuro and that is dedicated to film. The idea of PC gaming with hdtvs just never sat well with me..no offense that's just always been IMO.

I realise I'll be giving up some performance by straying away from the Eizo, but I'm willing to sacrifice *some* for extra real estate. My research has lead to the Philips BDM4065UC. This is a 40" panel that uses VA tech which supposedly has a 4000:1 contrast, which is close enough to the Eizo for me to bite. I love my action-horror games (Doom, Dead Space, etc) and this is why the Foris has been my go-to monitor for the majority of games. I've had my Pioneer Kuro calibrated by D-Nice with an elite board (basically a 9.5G now) and I see very little difference in contrast between it and the Eizo Foris. I love it, just want something as close to it as I can get in a bigger size, and honestly I don't need 144hz. I'm a single player gamer. Your probably wondering why I paid for the 2421. Well it was the contrast, as the Kuro has me spoiled and I find justification in that. So if there's anything else between 32-40" that compares, or bests this Philips (that doesn't cost an arm or leg) then I would need to know now. Thinking of pulling the trigger. The only other deal breaker for me is having a monitor that causes eyestrain. I tried a Dell last year and had to return because it used PWM. I must sensitive eyes because they were bleeding after 10 min of usage. So flicker-free is important. Even if it doesn't flicker at certain brightess then I'll be okay with it. Preferably at a lower brightness as I use the monitor in a low light enviroment.

edit- I have a GTX 780 TI, but by this time next year I'll upgrade to the latest Nvidia gpu. I won't let that stop me from gaming at 4K..but I suppose I would need to know if older games scale well on 4K displays (have a huge Steam library). Sorry I'm no technical wizard but that would be the only thing holding me back. I usually like to future-proof so the prospect of 4K is exciting to me (even if I cant max out the latest games TODAY). I don't mind fiddling with settings, and finding widescreen fixes etc as I've done it all before, but need to know if older games are getting 4K fixes, or will be fixable in the not-so-distant future.

Also that Philips operates at 60hz, and I've gamed at that refresh for years before I bought the Eizo so I can do it again I reckon. Higher is better, but not mandatory (esp at 4K). The single most benefit of the VA panel IMO was the elimination of the damn IPS glow. I simply refuse to deal with that any longer, so no more IPS for me no matter what wiz bang feature it has. No offense to others, ppl have their deal breakers and that's mine.

I'm simply looking for a stop-gap monitor that will hold me over until *fingers crossed* OLED monitors enter the market (55" is too big for me). If not then we'll just deal with it. lol

Last edited:
IMHO I don't see a reason to buy another monitor.
Your monitor has a stunning quality, every other monitor will let you disappointed

I figured this much. I'm in the same boat when it comes to shopping for an hdtv. I want something bigger, but I will most likely be let down coming from a Kuro. It's sad that in 2015 "every other monitor" will leave me disappointed.

The AMH A409u is a Korean 40" VA panel that has positive reviews from PC enthusiasts. Do you think I'll be let down with this one as well?

I realise I'll be giving up some performance by straying away from the Eizo, but I'm willing to sacrifice *some* for extra real estate. My research has lead to the Philips BDM4065UC. This is a 40" panel that uses VA tech which supposedly has a 4000:1 contrast, which is close enough to the Eizo for me to bite. I love my action-horror games (Doom, Dead Space, etc) and this is why the Foris has been my go-to monitor for the majority of games. I've had my Pioneer Kuro calibrated by D-Nice with an elite board (basically a 9.5G now) and I see very little difference in contrast between it and the Eizo Foris. I love it, just want something as close to it as I can get in a bigger size, and honestly I don't need 144hz. I'm a single player gamer. Your probably wondering why I paid for the 2421. Well it was the contrast, as the Kuro has me spoiled and I find justification in that. So if there's anything else between 32-40" that compares, or bests this Philips (that doesn't cost an arm or leg) then I would need to know now. Thinking of pulling the trigger. The only other deal breaker for me is having a monitor that causes eyestrain. I tried a Dell last year and had to return because it used PWM. I must sensitive eyes because they were bleeding after 10 min of usage. So flicker-free is important. Even if it doesn't flicker at certain brightess then I'll be okay with it. Preferably at a lower brightness as I use the monitor in a low light enviroment.

The BDM4065UC uses 240hz PWM. There are other 40" 4k (all VA AFAIK) monitors though, some of which are PWM free.

BL3200PT or one of the other 32" 1440p monitors are also an option

Nice. 93% srgb is the same i got using dispcalgui, using the largest default color db.

It sucks that there are no larger/gsync monitors using this or equivalent va panel.

Okay I've had the fg2421 awhile now, and enjoy the hell out of it but I need something bigger. Any word on a 27-32" monitor with similar VA-like black levels? Probably not since the Eizo is Godly in this department but figured I'd ask. I've read about some Samsung 27" VA panels (are they actually VA?) that are 60hz. I was considering these but I dunno if I can stomach 60hz any more after this one, unless the the black level detail is truly insane like the foris. I don't need, or want 4K either since it's too demanding on hardware. I like playing the latest games so 1440p at most for me, and will gladly take a 27" 1080p despite the majority believing it's not good. Framerate over resolution for me.

Or is our Eizo in a class all on it's own, still?

Okay I've had the fg2421 awhile now, and enjoy the hell out of it but I need something bigger. Any word on a 27-32" monitor with similar VA-like black levels? Probably not since the Eizo is Godly in this department but figured I'd ask. I've read about some Samsung 27" VA panels (are they actually VA?) that are 60hz. I was considering these but I dunno if I can stomach 60hz any more after this one, unless the the black level detail is truly insane like the foris. I don't need, or want 4K either since it's too demanding on hardware. I like playing the latest games so 1440p at most for me, and will gladly take a 27" 1080p despite the majority believing it's not good. Framerate over resolution for me.

Try your luck here -- in theory, there are a few panels that might meet your needs (YMMV, of course):

Gaming Monitor List (120Hz, 144Hz, 165Hz and 200Hz) - May 2016

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Acer makes a 35" ultrawide with a VA panel and refresh rate up to 200 Hz called the Z35. The resolution is 2560x1080. This size ultrawide is basically a 27-28" 16:9 1080p display stretched horizontally by a few inches.

The only issue is that response time is a bit iffy and the image clarity above 100 Hz makes anything faster pretty much useless. A VA panel is slow, though, so with the typical response time of this panel type anything over 100 Hz is going to have varied negative impacts no matter who is making the panel. Contrast performance also isn't as good as a good FG2421 panel, with TFT Central reporting 2813:1 after calibration compared to 4845:1 from the FG2421.

TFT Central Review:
Acer Predator Z35 Review - TFT Central

FYI it looks like the BenQ XR3501 uses the same panel as the Acer Z35, just without the built-in overclocking ability.

Last edited:
Try your luck here -- in theory, there are a few panels that might meet your needs (YMMV, of course):

Gaming Monitor List (120Hz, 144Hz, 165Hz and 200Hz) - May 2016

I have that Eizo. But, I'm buying the Asus 27" 'PG279Q'. My son and I are PC gamers. This Asus is amazing.

Lenovo Y27 - 27", 1080p, 144hz, 1800R curve, VA panel, Gsync or FreeSync (separate models)

At 27", these appear to be the spiritual successors to the FG2421. $549 for the Gsync variant, launching in June, while price and availability for the FreeSync variant is undisclosed at this time.

I have the FG2421. Within the next month or two, I'll prob get the 27" Asus 'PG279Q'.

Can you guys tell me is there any eye fatigue? Does the screen appear "polarized" when u view it and move your head? IE its like a silvery glow.
Can you dial in the gamma properly without any GPU software? Like no over saturated images?

Just wanted to draw comparisons between similar panels.

Can you guys tell me is there any eye fatigue? Does the screen appear "polarized" when u view it and move your head? IE its like a silvery glow.
Can you dial in the gamma properly without any GPU software? Like no over saturated images?

Just wanted to draw comparisons between similar panels.

Not sure about "polarized" but there is slight AG coating. Not aggressive matte but not glossy either. And there is no glow in the picture except for the VA panel gamma shift where center of your vision is darker and it drifts brighter towards the edges. Not apparent when you move your eyes but you might notice it if you move your head sideways.

There are different gamma settings but 2.2 is the one you want to use, where in reality it is about 2.3 average with a some attempt of follow the BT.1886 curve, which is perfect for movies and games. If you want flat 2.2 power law gamma you need to calibrate with colorimeter.

Just a little hint, this monitor is gaming screen first and foremost. Color accuracy is horrible. If that is important at all, look elsewhere.

Not sure about "polarized" but there is slight AG coating. Not aggressive matte but not glossy either. And there is no glow in the picture except for the VA panel gamma shift where center of your vision is darker and it drifts brighter towards the edges. Not apparent when you move your eyes but you might notice it if you move your head sideways.

There are different gamma settings but 2.2 is the one you want to use, where in reality it is about 2.3 average with a some attempt of follow the BT.1886 curve, which is perfect for movies and games. If you want flat 2.2 power law gamma you need to calibrate with colorimeter.

Just a little hint, this monitor is gaming screen first and foremost. Color accuracy is horrible. If that is important at all, look elsewhere.

Did y ou try to install the ICC profiles and settings at TFTCENTRAL? (1 or the other, sometimes both makes it uglier..but sometimes both) .

ALso did you try QUICKGAMMA? I got some great improvements from using that, it was instant mid tone fix.

I just wanted to compare it to it's little brother, the HKC x3. Calibrating it to picture references has been a headache, unlike all my IPS screens and Vizio, Sony tv were a breeze to PIC reference calibrate.
I think right now its looking quite alright. IT MIGHT be a wide gamut, but I'm not positive.

Did y ou try to install the ICC profiles and settings at TFTCENTRAL? (1 or the other, sometimes both makes it uglier..but sometimes both) .

ALso did you try QUICKGAMMA? I got some great improvements from using that, it was instant mid tone fix.

I just wanted to compare it to it's little brother, the HKC x3. Calibrating it to picture references has been a headache, unlike all my IPS screens and Vizio, Sony tv were a breeze to PIC reference calibrate.
I think right now its looking quite alright. IT MIGHT be a wide gamut, but I'm not positive.

I dont have to. I have I1 Display Pro that can calibrate my screen and get any color temperature and gamma curve I want. Also copying someone elses settings and especially applying its ICC profile is a bad idea and has nothing to do with calibration. Monitors vary from batch to batch. You may get lucky and get something closer to accurate when copying someone elses settings and color profiles but often it makes matters worse.

Second, no amount of ICC profiles can make a turd accurate. FG2421 gamut is very skewed, reds are undersaturated and greens overshoot towards the yellow, giving the screen a noticeable sickly green hue. Calibrating with a colorimeter can get rid of the hue and generally get accurate colors, but since the gamut is so skewed compared to sRGB gamut the colors that fall outside of the monitors gamut are simply clipped. Thats why even after calibration the DeltaE of the red color was a really bad 9-10 in the TFT central review and I have similar results on mine. For illustration here is a quick gamut measurement taken from my monitor. Dark line is the sRGB gamut we are aiming at, white line is the gamut of my FG2421 and where the both gamuts match is what the monitor is capable of showing after calibration and the rest is clipped. In the end FG2421 is capable of showing less than 90% of colors of the sRGB colorspace.

upload_2016-5-25_18-14-34.png

Now, this is just FG2421 and Eizo not bothering to do a proper factory calibration. I'd like to see the measurements of your HKC (which uses the same panel I presume?) to see if they did a better job than Eizo.

. Also copying someone elses settings and especially applying its ICC profile is a bad idea and has nothing to do with calibration. Monitors vary from batch to batch. You may get lucky and get something closer to accurate when copying someone elses settings and color profiles but often it makes matters worse.

This bears repeating. Too many assume that you can use someone else's ICC profiles to get the same results.

I dont have to. I have I1 Display Pro that can calibrate my screen and get any color temperature and gamma curve I want. Also copying someone elses settings and especially applying its ICC profile is a bad idea and has nothing to do with calibration. Monitors vary from batch to batch. You may get lucky and get something closer to accurate when copying someone elses settings and color profiles but often it makes matters worse.

Second, no amount of ICC profiles can make a turd accurate. FG2421 gamut is very skewed, reds are undersaturated and greens overshoot towards the yellow, giving the screen a noticeable sickly green hue. Calibrating with a colorimeter can get rid of the hue and generally get accurate colors, but since the gamut is so skewed compared to sRGB gamut the colors that fall outside of the monitors gamut are simply clipped. Thats why even after calibration the DeltaE of the red color was a really bad 9-10 in the TFT central review and I have similar results on mine. For illustration here is a quick gamut measurement taken from my monitor. Dark line is the sRGB gamut we are aiming at, white line is the gamut of my FG2421 and where the both gamuts match is what the monitor is capable of showing after calibration and the rest is clipped. In the end FG2421 is capable of showing less than 90% of colors of the sRGB colorspace.

Now, this is just FG2421 and Eizo not bothering to do a proper factory calibration. I'd like to see the measurements of your HKC (which uses the same panel I presume?) to see if they did a better job than Eizo.

Hey there,
Thanks for the post ! Why do you suppose I asked you what you have tried? Because I do not know where are coming from, your level of expertise etc. Most of the display using population do not have a calibrator, so I simply asked what other methods you have tried---TO At least get "Ballpark figures."
It is quite interesting how skewed that gamut triangle is!

You must ask yourself, wouldn't it have been better to just have bought a cheaper TN 120hz+ panel and saved the money if the color is just as unusable as typical Tn panels?

The firmware lists the HKC x3 as LK236HA0S Sharp when I push all the monitor buttons. This is not he same panel as the Eizo Sharp, but it seems to be some effort to create a "better" version. HKC ads all target all of the things Eizo Fg2421 did not do correctly . This one at least has no dead pixels. They also advertise a very high 100% Srgb.. and also 144hz od rather than 120hz and 240hz black frame insertion. But the 144hz is really unusable, as the ufo does a vertical up and down bounce as it goes along.

People keep saying that calibration or accurate colors are only needed if you're into graphic design work or something. I call that TOTAL BS! I can't stand to stare at horrible colors all day long. It destroys my inner harmony and mood. I do look at pictures more than I do games, because its everything I do in between games.

Anyways, I have not a calibrator at hand, but I have always relied on my eyes. They aren't too bad as I did the ColorMunki test .
I eyeball calibrated the IPS screen on my Mom's Dell and got a 4 accuracy (0 being best) and a 7 accuracy on my new HKC x3

With my other IPS screen I got -27, and -22 for two tries so that one isn't showing correct color enough to do the test.

COLOR MUNKI xrite color test

Test Your Color IQ: X-Rite Photo & Video

Both of the tests show errors in the blue green region. So that tells me I need to calibrate to fix the blue green region, or my ability to decipher them aren't as accurate. Either way, I got tired and could have tried harder :p

I'll get my hands on a calibrator soon, please wait. AND YES, I do not assume that the ICC profile will magically fix things. I had owned a 2407WFP Dell and used their offiicial ICC and it turned my monitor into some 1950s technicolor pastel pink and green. Hideous!!

I don't think it is about "proper factory calibration". Eizos usually have better factory settings than any other brand if you ever bother to read reviews from other models...

TFT Central writes: "Colour gamut in TFT monitors refers to the range of colours the screen is capable of displaying, and how much of a given reference colour space it might be able to display. It is ultimately linked to backlight technology and not to the panel itself." (Source: Monitor Specifications)

I don't think it is about "proper factory calibration". Eizos usually have better factory settings than any other brand if you ever bother to read reviews from other models...

TFT Central writes: "Colour gamut in TFT monitors refers to the range of colours the screen is capable of displaying, and how much of a given reference colour space it might be able to display. It is ultimately linked to backlight technology and not to the panel itself." (Source: Monitor Specifications)

That is true for their professional monitors. However this is a gaming monitor that was very likely put together from panels that did not go pass the QC of the satellite monitors which used the same panel. And if the colors are off because of the panel or the backlight is irrelevant, not all edge-lits are this bad. Eizo just did not give a damn when it came to this simple "gaming grade" monitor.

People keep saying that calibration or accurate colors are only needed if you're into graphic design work or something. I call that TOTAL BS! I can't stand to stare at horrible colors all day long. It destroys my inner harmony and mood. I do look at pictures more than I do games, because its everything I do in between games.

I know right. Saying that color accuracy do not matter for games is the same if you would say that the color accuracy do not matter for movies. Say that to the face of videophiles at AVSForum or such and you'd get punched in the face, figuratively speaking. :p Whats the point of having latest system that can push all the flashy eye-candy available just to have it all butchered by a shitty monitor. It makes no sense to me.

You must ask yourself, wouldn't it have been better to just have bought a cheaper TN 120hz+ panel and saved the money if the color is just as unusable as typical Tn panels?

I just cannot stand TN panel vertical gamma shift. It bugs the hell out of me. Unlike VA panel horizontal gamma shift that is almost invisible except on test pictures, the TN panel gamma shift is painfully obvious in every dark situation of games. I'd take a bad VA panel or glowing IPS panel over any TN. FG2421 was a side/misstep anyway, I prefer to use big TV's as monitors and they tend to be higher quality. But I wanted a true 120hz for a change and FG2421 seemed to tick all the boxes (VA panel, exceptional contrast ratio etc) except for the size. Did not know about the bad colors back then yet.

That is true for their professional monitors. However this is a gaming monitor that was very likely put together from panels that did not go pass the QC of the satellite monitors which used the same panel. And if the colors are off because of the panel or the backlight is irrelevant, not all edge-lits are this bad. Eizo just did not give a damn when it came to this simple "gaming grade" monitor.

I know right. Saying that color accuracy do not matter for games is the same if you would say that the color accuracy do not matter for movies. Say that to the face of videophiles at AVSForum or such and you'd get punched in the face, figuratively speaking. :p Whats the point of having latest system that can push all the flashy eye-candy available just to have it all butchered by a shitty monitor. It makes no sense to me.

I just cannot stand TN panel vertical gamma shift. It bugs the hell out of me. Unlike VA panel horizontal gamma shift that is almost invisible except on test pictures, the TN panel gamma shift is painfully obvious in every dark situation of games. I'd take a bad VA panel or glowing IPS panel over any TN. FG2421 was a side/misstep anyway, I prefer to use big TV's as monitors and they tend to be higher quality. But I wanted a true 120hz for a change and FG2421 seemed to tick all the boxes (VA panel, exceptional contrast ratio etc) except for the size. Did not know about the bad colors back then yet.

Hey Maza buddy, I just updated my HKC X3 thread with Spyer5Pro settings. It would be nice if you can take a look over there thanks! (I need some help).
:) It seems my Gamut graph is similar to yours, but a bit more corrected.
My HKC X3 144hz 1ms hi contrast VA panel is in!

Which monitor would be the closest replacement for this? I've had the foris 2421 for 2 years now and it's been fantastic but I need a larger size. 27-32". I'm actually using my Vizio 32" D-series LED TV for now and it's not bad, but I would like an actual monitor with black levels close to foris. Also it must be flicker free or else my eyes will bleed (this vizio is killing me). I place a priority on contrast ratio above all else. Yes, I play fps games but the foris has me spoiled with deep blacks and so I want that but bigger. I'm asking for the 'closest match' as I realise there may not be a monitor to actually match the foris' contrast.

I'm seeing the LG 32GK850G as something new with G-sync. This is exciting, but a little pricey right now to gamble on. Would the AOC Q3279VWF be similar to that (1440p, VA) with the exception of 60hz (has freesync but I use Nvidia)? Again, I don't need 144hz if I don't play competitively do I? The HP Omen 32 would be another option. I'm looking for one under $500 if possible. Any suggestions for 27-32 preferably 32"?

Is Eizo basically out of this scene? Neither for their Foris monitors seem available anywhere.

I'd love to see them and NEC Displays thrown down in this market some more.

Which monitor would be the closest replacement for this? I've had the foris 2421 for 2 years now and it's been fantastic but I need a larger size. 27-32". I'm actually using my Vizio 32" D-series LED TV for now and it's not bad, but I would like an actual monitor with black levels close to foris. Also it must be flicker free or else my eyes will bleed (this vizio is killing me). I place a priority on contrast ratio above all else. Yes, I play fps games but the foris has me spoiled with deep blacks and so I want that but bigger. I'm asking for the 'closest match' as I realise there may not be a monitor to actually match the foris' contrast.

I'm seeing the LG 32GK850G as something new with G-sync. This is exciting, but a little pricey right now to gamble on. Would the AOC Q3279VWF be similar to that (1440p, VA) with the exception of 60hz (has freesync but I use Nvidia)? Again, I don't need 144hz if I don't play competitively do I? The HP Omen 32 would be another option. I'm looking for one under $500 if possible. Any suggestions for 27-32 preferably 32"?
Unfortunately nothing out there right now comes even close to the awesome contrast the Foris had unless you go OLED. Also with a VA, you have to use backlight strobing to eliminate the color trailing since the pixels simply can't respond fast enough at high refresh rates. Of course this isn't an issue if you don't care about that.
^^^ Probably the Samsung C27HG70 27" curved 2560x1440 144hz Qdot display is gonna be the closest to the Foris
For gaming I would agree, but these panels struggle to get past a 2000:1 contrast ratio, which is half of what the FG2421 could do. There is also a 32" version available.

Unfortunately nothing out there right now comes even close to the awesome contrast the Foris had unless you go OLED. Also with a VA, you have to use backlight strobing to eliminate the color trailing since the pixels simply can't respond fast enough at high refresh rates. Of course this isn't an issue if you don't care about that.

For gaming I would agree, but these panels struggle to get past a 2000:1 contrast ratio, which is half of what the FG2421 could do. There is also a 32" version available.

Most reviews I've read state that the 24 inch version at least gets closer to its rated 3000:1 ratio, for whatever that's worth. Also, looks like the sRGB mode is spot on with its color accuracy. Thinking very heavily of replacing my CRT setup with one of these. But don't let the CRT dudes know. :D

Most reviews I've read state that the 24 inch version at least gets closer to its rated 3000:1 ratio, for whatever that's worth. Also, looks like the sRGB mode is spot on with its color accuracy. Thinking very heavily of replacing my CRT setup with one of these. But don't let the CRT dudes know. :D
Say it ain't so! What happened to your F520 by the way?

Still sitting here next to me. Video board is still acting flaky. We've had some personal issues in the last few weeks so I've done nothing with it.
Sorry to hear you're still going through it, and I didn't mean to bring it up. Best of luck to you, my friend. May motion clarity and high contrast be ever in your future.

Sorry to hear you're still going through it, and I didn't mean to bring it up. Best of luck to you, my friend. May motion clarity and high contrast be ever in your future.

No worries at all. :) Life sucks sometimes and shit happens to the best of us. No worries though. If I had another video board I could swap into it I would try but it's next to impossible to find them.

Last edited:
I feel your pain on the F520. I still haven't replaced the D board in my FW900, which still remains a huge paperweight until I get it fixed - and it's because of its failure that I settled with an FG2421 on the relative cheap.

However, the FG2421 feels small, to put it bluntly, and so does 1080p res. I'm yearning for something bigger and better, but still retaining decent contrast and high refresh rates. I suppose there's that new LG monitor, but that one's not out yet and still costs like $850 new.

Anyone else know of any other viable options, or are we still looking at stuff like the XB271HU, PG279Q and XG2703-GS with the AUO panel lottery involved, if sacrificing contrast and dealing with IPS glow?

I feel your pain on the F520. I still haven't replaced the D board in my FW900, which still remains a huge paperweight until I get it fixed - and it's because of its failure that I settled with an FG2421 on the relative cheap.

However, the FG2421 feels small, to put it bluntly, and so does 1080p res. I'm yearning for something bigger and better, but still retaining decent contrast and high refresh rates. I suppose there's that new LG monitor, but that one's not out yet and still costs like $850 new.

Anyone else know of any other viable options, or are we still looking at stuff like the XB271HU, PG279Q and XG2703-GS with the AUO panel lottery involved, if sacrificing contrast and dealing with IPS glow?

Until we get the FALD 4k 144hz displays, the PG27VQ is probably your best bet. It has the closest gaming ability to the FW900 of any craptastic LCD.

Until we get the FALD 4k 144hz displays, the PG27VQ is probably your best bet. It has the closest gaming ability to the FW900 of any craptastic LCD.
It sounded good until I found out it was a curved panel, and even more damningly, a TN one.

I just can't do TN at all, not with that pesky vertical gamma shift that throws everything out of whack. I can tolerate VA head-on black crush or even IPS glow much more than that crap.

The thing I miss about CRTs like the FW900 is that you don't have stupid tradeoffs like that. You get a good picture at every angle, no shifts, no fuss. Might have to fiddle about with geometry, convergence, and in extreme cases, low-level WinDAS settings, but a tuned FW900 still demolishes almost every LCD I've laid eyes on, with the FG2421 being one of the few to even be remotely worthy of comparison (no doubt because of the contrast ratio and Turbo240 ULMB mode independent of GPU vendor).

But now we're losing native VGA outputs on graphics cards, too. NVIDIA dropped it with the Pascal generation, and my GTX 980 isn't going to be viable for that much longer while I hold out for Volta. DisplayPort to VGA adapters haven't fully caught up with the sheer pixel clock bandwidth you'd need to drive a FW900 at its fullest. And the prices on replacement D board/flyback transformers for the FW900... well, let's just say it's enough to buy a decent LCD in the $300-400 range.

You don't have to tell me about the FW900....I have one sitting in my closet.

You don't have to tell me about TN picture quality vs VA & IPS as I have tried and owned many examples of those.
IPS glow, backlight bleed, slower grey to grey
VA, even slower grey to grey vs IPS....VA smear is horrendous.

However, the PG27VQ and PG278QR have the best picture quality as far as TNs go....and they are super snappy
almost as snappy as a CRT.

For FPS gaming the PG27VQ & PG278QR are tops....and are the closest you are going to get to the CRT experience.

for now

You don't have to tell me about the FW900....I have one sitting in my closet.

You don't have to tell me about TN picture quality vs VA & IPS as I have tried and owned many examples of those.
IPS glow, backlight bleed, slower grey to grey
VA, even slower grey to grey vs IPS....VA smear is horrendous.

However, the PG27VQ and PG278QR have the best picture quality as far as TNs go....and they are super snappy
almost as snappy as a CRT.

For FPS gaming the PG27VQ & PG278QR are tops....and are the closest you are going to get to the CRT experience.

for now
For TN the XL2730 is the king of the hill with 5 gamma modes, you can get them around 2.2 without software tricks. Also better QC regarding BLB than Asus screens which seem to be riddled with it.

I have the PG278QR....after a tad of Nvidia control panel color manipulation its a good picture. Doesn't that XL2730 top out at 144hz whereas the Asus hit 165? And isn't its AG coating twice as aggressive as the PG278QR?

Also, no Gsync Support on that XL2730??? Riiight in the trash bin with it good sire.

I've tried all panel types too and in the end I prefer TN myself when it comes to getting as close as I can to a CRT experience on an LCD. I still use my Dell S2417DG when needed.

Back