Eizo Foris FG2421: 120hz VA Panel

So is this a safe buy Vega? I've got some money saved for a new gaming monitor and this just seems like the best option.

Well, there are some bad samples out there. If you aren't afraid of returning/exchanging and buying from a no-hassle retailer, I'd consider it fairly safe. It is the best gaming display on the market IMO.

microscoped sub-pixel structure FG2421
nrQAlyq.jpg

conventional AUO A-MVA
pG4fDyL.jpg

Bought mine from amazon.de (Germany) with "Made in Japan" label on it's back. Doesn't matter though 'cause it restarts randomly 2-3 times a day only in turbo mode. Thing is i got a bleed free/0 dead pixel panel.

DAMN you EIZO WTF! what now? If i send it back i might get a new one with the same problem. Tried every single input with diff. cables and diff. drivers. No luck. Surely a bios/panel problem.

Had to RMA the damn thing but won't be getting another one. Requested refund.

Last edited:
I had the same thing. I had to get rid of it in the end because of that and light grey on the right side of the monitor as well. Bought myself a Qnix and clocked it to 110hz.

I just returned my monitor. I will receive a new one by the end of the week as they were out of stock. I agreed with the store that I will get a full refund if the second unit is faulty as well. (The Netherlands)

Today I received my second unit. This sample was even worse with the same right bleeding on grey tones and a HUGE amount of cross-hatching. A complete patch, like 1/3 of the screen (top of the screen) contained cross-hatching.
I am sorry but I can't recommend this monitor. I went straight to the store and requested a refund. Both my units were made in Japan.

Here is a picture of the second unit:

Today I received my second unit. This sample was even worse with the same right bleeding on grey tones and a HUGE amount of cross-hatching. A complete patch, like 1/3 of the screen (top of the screen) contained cross-hatching.
I am sorry but I can't recommend this monitor. I went straight to the store and requested a refund. Both my units were made in Japan.

Here is a picture of the second unit:

have you request to Eizo to repair the same product without replacing ?

Well, there are some bad samples out there. If you aren't afraid of returning/exchanging and buying from a no-hassle retailer, I'd consider it fairly safe. It is the best gaming display on the market IMO.

Amazon's a good place to order displays, right? I've never bought one from them, so I wouldn't know...

Yes, I've returned displays to them for full refund with zero questions asked. That is why they get a crapton of business from me.

please post some pictures with some obvious cross-hatching, because it seems i'm not able to find one and i can't recognize it. thanks :)

please post some pictures with some obvious cross-hatching, because it seems i'm not able to find one and i can't recognize it. thanks :)

Its hard to capture with a camera.

On the Eizo it exists all over the panel and its really hard to see until you display certain light colours. Easiest way to reproduce it is to throw a smoke grenade in CS:GO, stand back a bit and move your mouse around. This existed all over both panels I tried but there was also some really rough spots in certain areas (which is what the image above is trying to show) that stood out more from the rest. It was these rough spots that bugged me the most as your eye catches them every now and then.

Cross-hatching can be compared with brushing on a canvas diagonally.

Mine also had it, it's horrible seeing it in person.

Is Amazon ever going to get stock of this monitor? Been checking every day for the last month... and nothing has come in...

I want to purchase from Amazon just because of all the griping I have seen about this monitor...

Got replacement unit today and this is just absolutely horrible. First of all there is 3x bright pixels & 1x completely dead one. But thats not all, there is also huge amount of backlight bleed/clouding basicly on all corners at the monitor, most noticeable it is at right edge where with black bakcround looks more light grey than black.

This is just unbelivable, so mad now. The first one had absolutely faultless image with no backlight bleed or pixel faults, but had that strange restarting issue. Now this new one is just total lemon and surely cant live with this one.

I would suggest stay away from this monitor as there seems to be no quality control these days.

Last edited:
Sounds like taht last one could have had a rough time in shipping. Any box damage? The packaging on these monitors are pretty skimpy.

Well box looks fine, no signs of any damage.

Allready talked on phone with Eizo service and they said they will actually try to repair the initial one i had ( which was perfect panel wise ). If that wont work i will surely request refund as im not in mood to play this lottery anymore.

I couldn't hold out any longer, finally pulled the trigger and ordered from Newegg. I would have preferred Amazon but I'm not sure if they will be having these babies in stock before Christmas.

I couldn't hold out any longer, finally pulled the trigger and ordered from Newegg. I would have preferred Amazon but I'm not sure if they will be having these babies in stock before Christmas.

Please let us know how your panel turns out. Very close myself to pulling the trigger on this, and would like to see some more positive stories before I do.

Please let us know how your panel turns out. Very close myself to pulling the trigger on this, and would like to see some more positive stories before I do.

I'm in the same exact boat. I just got 2 R9 290's and I really want this monitor but what I'm mostly reading is that the odds of getting a bad panel are uncommonly high.

Hello guys,

I just registred to letting you know I just ordered mine from direct-eizo.fr (yep I'm French).

I'll try to give you a feedback asap, not being a professional it won't be easy but heh, I guess I will see the unpleasing things like cross-hatching etc if there are (I hope not).

I will also compare it to my old Samsung P2370.

Thanks for the thread anyway !

Good luck, you gonna need it.

I'm either waiting for a proper G-Sync Monitor now or take a CX240 and be happy for another 5 years.

Received my FG2421 today and things definitely turned out better than expected. My initial impressions are based on 4-5 hours of competitive CS:GO matches tonight.

Immediately upon firing up the monitor and loading up a few webpages I noticed the much talked about cross hatching. It's definitely visible when I focus on it. Not a deal breaker for me as I don't notice it under most situations and it is certainly something I can live with. I did notice it a couple of times when looking at the smoke in CS:GO, grey really makes the cross hatching obvious on the top left and bottom right portions of the screen.

Coming from the Asus VG248QE this monitor is a substantial upgrade in nearly every aspect. It feels amazing playing an FPS game with terrific motion clarity without sacrificing image quality. It was much easier for me to identify "peeking" heads on certain maps in CS:GO when normally they would have just blended into the background on the ASUS. Gaming on this monitor is a much more enjoyable experience overall.

Input lag hasn't been an issue for me at all. Maybe I'm not sensitive enough to detect an increase but I don't feel a difference between the FG2421 and the VG248QE.

I did notice some slight light bleed on the right side but using some of the recommended settings in this thread it isn't noticeable anymore. I had a lot of concerns reading this thread from the beginning and I was hesitant purchasing it but I am absolutely glad I ordered the Foris.

MFD Date: 09/25/2013
Made in Japan

Received mine after a month-long wait and some distributor mis-steps and I can happily say I have zero issues with it.

I have no backlight bleed, just a tiny bit of clouding in the right-top quadrant and that is only at 100% brightness. Regular brightness shows no ill effects like this. I set it at around 50% for the time being and will get it down to around 140-160 cdm/2 for normal use both with PC and consoles.

No cross-hatching, but I do see a bit of a standing dithering pattern with an FRC shimmer on greys at medium grey levels using the lagom.nl black level test, but nothing too obvious. Visually I'm pretty sure this is a 6-bit + FRC/dithering type panel.

The motion blur reduction with the Turbo mode is impressive in gaming and regular desktop use. There is a tiny bit of input lag in this mode, but the benefits definitely outweigh the impact of that. I can see the back-light strobe but am not negatively sensitive to this effect.

I'll be connecting it to my PS4 as well as my PC with an R9 290X adapter for regular PC use as well. I hope that the Turbo mode in FPSx mode works with the PS4 as well over HDMI. I plan to use FPS1 for PC and FPS2 with consoles in case I desire different settings for each.

Outside of some blue tint in this FPS1 mode, which I plan to address I'm pretty happy with it. It does have the typical VA type wash out with dark colors from an angle but I anticipated this. Straight on dark colors seem to be visually apparent too, so no overly obvious black crush is evident. There is a small amount of bluish/white glow from angles but it's not very obvious on dark colors. I'd say viewing angles are a bit below the best S-PVA panels I've seen in the past.

Even though I think at $600.00 Canadian it's a bit on the pricey side I am happy enough to keep this screen on my desktop for a fairly long time, which is saying a lot with me. :)

Blacks seem deep enough, and likely close to the 3000:1 or 4000:1 ratio I've seen in some reviews, so it should be a decent movie/video watching screen as well. I wish it was 16:10 and 1920x1200 but I have a 24" next to it that is, so no big deal.

Anti-glare is generally un-obtrusive though there is a tiny bit of graininess to it, but below the IPS panels of old.

Hello guys,

First impression about the screen I received today.

Well, deep blacks are pretty amazing compared to my old Samsung P2370.
I watched 10 minutes of Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and it was awesome. I noticed a bit of blacklight bleed but that's not such a big deal.

I didn't try playing yet but I will as soon as I get my dual link cables.

I wanted to ask you guys what are you presets.

I tried the flatpanelshd one but I find the white being a bit much pinky.

Thanks !

Last edited:
I have had my monitor for over a month now, and I can't remember ever being this satisfied with a display before. If you win the panel lottery, this display is well worth the money. I figured I would chime in amongst the sea of negativity in recent pages.

BossBrew, 10e, kndy38, and Fleat thank you very much for your impressions. I've been quite torn about which monitor to get so any input is greatly appreciated. Hoping Mark gets his review posted soon so I can make my final decision. Don't think I want to wait until mid Jan to see if the 2720Z is any good.

I wonder if this is starting to mean the beginning of the end to the problems people like myself have had with this monitor. I would love to buy one of these even after purchasing a Qnix.

Maybe it does have something to do with where the monitor came from. Japan or Germany. Who knows. Just hope the panels get better.

Soooo heres my feedback after playing.

I've noticed a significant improvement on both League of Legends and CS:GO (not playing much games).
It's all so smooth ! Especially in CS, it's like playing a whole different game. 120 fps with my 6870, playing is a pure pleasure.
However, I'm not having constant 120 fps on LoL I don't why o_O

Regarding TV/Films, I've watched Matrix in 720. Holy cow this was so beautiful.

I'm 1000000000% happy with this buy tbh.

I'm actually thinking of buying a new GPU now lolz.

League's framerate limiter is terrible... causes fps fluctuation and stutter. I have to use vysnc with that game to stay at 120.

Well, I just bit the bullet and got one from Newegg. My current VG236HE has pixels dropping like flies and I hated both the VG248QE and the BenQ XT2420TE or whatever it is when I saw them in person. I pray to the silicone gods that I get a good one.

Well, I just bit the bullet and got one from Newegg. My current VG236HE has pixels dropping like flies and I hated both the VG248QE and the BenQ XT2420TE or whatever it is when I saw them in person. I pray to the silicone gods that I get a good one.
I hope the odds are in your favor. Extremely happy with mine from Newegg and they got it to me overnight. ;)

I hope the odds are in your favor. Extremely happy with mine from Newegg and they got it to me overnight. ;)

Great! I hope mine is good as well. I picked the 3 day shipping but it usually only takes 1 day after they send it because the City of Industry distro is like an hour from me.

Great! I hope mine is good as well. I picked the 3 day shipping but it usually only takes 1 day after they send it because the City of Industry distro is like an hour from me.
Same here, paid for 3 day shipping and it got here overnight. Living in Southern California certainly has it's perks. :cool:

Back