Eizo Foris FG2421: 120hz VA Panel

They mention PWM in the doc. Its a combination of DC and PWM, and they claim flicker free with 240 mode off.

I would assume AUO, but I suppose it could be someone else. I recall they were working on 120hz panels at one time, but either they weren't ready, or for whatever reason weren't released. I guess it could be someone like Sharp or Panasonic, but that would seem unlikely.

I'm about 99% it's AUO. They are really the only company doing any R&D on VA panels outside the TV space, and in TV it's really only S-LCD. Sharp uses that new UV2A more for TVs and IGZO for smaller tablet size displays.

input lag is a bit high
gonna wait for stuff like minimum brightness without flicker (it uses pwm below 20%) and if its fps-locked or not before i consider getting one

A few notes: Eizo is clearly attempting to emulate BenQ, but are not competing on the same level design wise imo. It looks like their professional monitors: boring and bland.

Does anyone here honestly care how snazzy the bezel or stand looks on their monitor? I would assume something like that from perhaps the general public, but for people here... or those willing to spend $500+ for an Eizo, it's meaningless.

And boring and bland is actually a plus, in my opinion. A gray or dark bezel, no shiny bits, or giant logos, is an advantage, not a negative. The only thing matters is the screen. And yeah, better height adjustment would be nice, but that's probably not a deal breaker in this situation.

these would make great portrait Eyefinity/Surround monitors
No VESA and no portrait rotation on the supplied stand? I might be wrong but I can't see anything about portrait or rotation in the user guides? so will this have to be a de-bezel and rig your own portrait stand effort?

If I'm right it just reaffirms my felling that Eizo are pretty clueless and out of touch with the real wants/needs of gamers at any price point.

I'm not really a hardcore gamer, so I might be missing something, but why gamers need portrait rotation?

PS: I guess it will be for putting 3 monitors next to each other and achieve a resolution of 3240x1080?

No VESA and no portrait rotation on the supplied stand? I might be wrong but I can't see anything about portrait or rotation in the user guides? so will this have to be a de-bezel and rig your own portrait stand effort?

If I'm right it just reaffirms my felling that Eizo are pretty clueless and out of touch with the real wants/needs of gamers at any price point.

I think that statement is a bit out of touch with reality.
People vesa-mounting single monitors are very, very rare (tv mounting is very common, monitor mounting very rare).
Surround setups are also rare, and even among surround setups, portrait surround is the exception. (basically creating a large normal aspect ratio single monitor, destroyed by bezels splitting the screen - some like it, but they are few).

The "real wants/needs of gamers" concerning vesa mounting/portrait is such a small part of the monitor market that its probably negligble.

I'm all for it personally, but i think this is the viewpoint of the major display corporations.

Last edited:
Eizo puts out the first consumer, officially 120hz non-TN monitor and it even has backlight strobing and black frame insertion but because it might not have portrait rotation or VESA mounting they're clueless and out of touch with gamers' needs? I lol'd.

YES!!!!!! The gaming gods have finally graced us! I believe this is the October news we have been waiting for. I will be glad to purchase this monitor as soon as Amazon has it up. This is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for!

As for the people wanting a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor, I feel for desktop real estate it is essential, but as for a gaming monitor, I could care less. I would rather take smaller/lower rez and play ULTRA everything especially with future games coming out after the new console generation is released.

Finally a reason to purchase another GTX 780 and SLI to make sure I get a solid 120 fps maxed out on all my games. Why not, the 780 just got a nice price cut with 3 games!

Yes, input lag is around ~10ms. That is around what a regular Lightboost monitor is and is acceptable.

The frame time decreases when you increase the frequency, right? So one "frame" at 120 hz is 8.3 ms and at 240 Hz is 4.16 ms. Just wanted to clarify as when people start seeing 1 - 1.5 frames of lag they will think of a high-latency IPS panel.

I'm not sure what that japanese poster is trying to convey - what monitor is on the left? Or is Eizo comparing input latency at 240 Hz vs some other monitor?

It's being compared to a different LCD, a BenQ XL2410T using Instant Mode.
And yes, you are right, at 120hz a frame of lag is only 8.3 ms, rather than 16.6ms as we are used to for 60hz. So that's one thing to consider, even 2 frames of lag at 120hz is only about 1 frame of lag at 60hz.

I think that statement is a bit out of touch with reality...
Eizo puts out the first consumer...
I like Eizo displays, a lot. I've used quite a few over the years and for any application where lag and cost is not an issue they are usually first to go on the short list. Perhaps clueless was too harsh, but there is definitely a blind spot for them when it comes to gamers and it is frustrating because they excel in other areas.

For a long time one of the key issues was input lag (even more so that it is now) - first of all there was unwillingness to acknowledge that lag even existed, then there was denial that it was a problem (30ms-40ms unimportant?!) For both work and my own gaming needs, I had many discussions with reps (officially and unofficially) and retailers looking for solutions, I explored alternatives amongst several industries (but mainly within the broadcast sector) and discovered the same complaints and frustrations everywhere I looked. To be fair this was an industry wide problem, not just Eizo, but the bottom line was you had to choose between speed and image quality and there was a recurring perception that gamers are kids and only buy cheap small displays.

Move forward a few years to when Eizo did enter the gaming display market there were significant lag issues and nothing had changed from the complaints from the early days of shifting from CRT to LCD, expect other brands were offering low lag displays with somewhat decent IQ. So conclusion: Eizo still aren't aware enough of gamers needs/wants.

Eventually Eizo come up with the 23" FORIS with very low lag, excellent overdrive, nice IQ, and a very high price for 23". The problem? it's really late, gamers with money are using bigger, higher res displays, multi screen solutions and 120Hz displays. The 22"-23" size was popular because displays n that size became affordable. Cue reps and retailers: it not as successful as we expected, we just don't think the gaming display market is all that big. So again Eizo were very much behind the curve.

So here we are now with the first VA 120Hz-240Hz. It's very exciting tech, but judging by the reactions the thing people are excited about is the tech, less so the product. It's partially a repeat of the 23" FORIS: "a lot of money for a display that's a bit small, still 1080p, I think I'll wait for a cheaper Dell/Asus/BenQ."

I think the early adopters would be the gamers with plenty of money to spend, but they will be the ones who are used to either bigger displays or multiscreen, and oh look they've been frustrated by the lack of a simple feature that was dropped in favour of a carry handle?

I guess more single screen gamers will stretch their budget for this than for the 23" FORIS, but I can't really change my conclusion: Eizo haven't been paying attention, so yes I still say they are out of touch (and I think 10ms lag is borderline acceptable, so if it turns out to be 16ms-24ms I will be back to calling them clueless)

Last edited:
Still 1080p, and costs a lot more than the QNIXes...

The only advantage the QNIX's have on this display is resolution. Image quality should be comparable, and this monitor will destroy the QNIX's in motion clarity. Any of the overclockable 1440P monitors have really slow pixels, combined with sample and hold = just awful motion clarity.

nice, are you planning to debezel them?

De-bezel, de-matte and custom mount. The typical Vega treatment. ;)

Trying to find out if MST DP Hub's can handle 3x 1080P@120Hz, might get two more monitors for 5x1 with 4x 290X's.

Excellent :) will look forward to seeing your results

I am really excited to get them. These monitors solve some really huge issues with TN panels for Eyefinity/Surround. Picture quality including contrast (especially in strobing mode), blacks, colors. Most importantly, viewing angles.

So really now the only negative with a Eyefinity/Surround setup is the bezels. Luckily, the top and bottom of the stock bezels are pretty small. That means they are quite a bit smaller underneath, should make for great multi-monitor.

I was going to look into a 4K display but I don't think I could put up with 60 Hz / non-strobing motion clarity, even with G-Sync.

Damn that was quick. I put in an backorder.

I actually have one of those MST hubs but I'm not sure that it has enough bandwidth. I believe it only has enough to do 3 1080P or 2 1440P. That would rule out 3 1080P @ 120hz.

They're already out of stock thanks to you. ;)

$555 is a great price. Looking forward to your take on this. :)

Don't worry, they were "out of stock" when I pre-ordered them too. I think they put the listing up with no stock on hand.

Damn that was quick. I put in an backorder.

I actually have one of those MST hubs but I'm not sure that it has enough bandwidth. I believe it only has enough to do 3 1080P or 2 1440P. That would rule out 3 1080P @ 120hz.

Ya, I think the Hub could do 2x 1080P @ 120 Hz. So that means on a 290X, 2x monitors off of the DP, 2x DL-DVI, and I would have to overclock the HDMI port if that's still possible in order to get a 5x1 setup.

Doing some interpolation based off of the monitor pictures and dimensions, this should be a fairly accurate representation of their bezel sizes between the Eizo and the Asus VG248QE:

MonitorComparison.jpg

The side bezels on the Eizo actually appear to be wider than the Asus, but the top and bottom (great for us Portrait setup users), are about 20-30% smaller. The real proof will be seeing how small the chassis bezel are underneath the cosmetic bezel.

So how comparable do we think the experience will be to lightboost @ 120hz? I may put my name on the list also. The colors and contrast on my xl2420tx drive me nuts...

Ya, TN panels are crap. FlatpanelsHD really seemed to love the display. They are talking about sub 1ms backlight strobing, so the motion could be even better than Lightboost monitors.

Can't wait to see users comments on this panel, my girl could use my vg248...
I am really excited to get them. These monitors solve some really huge issues with TN panels for Eyefinity/Surround. Picture quality including contrast (especially in strobing mode), blacks, colors. Most importantly, viewing angles.

Can't wait to see what they look like de-bezzed and de-matted if that works.
Any chance you'd like to send one to NCX? Maybe as a forum a few of us could pitch for shipping...

Good to see we have some Guinea Pigs erm I mean volunteers to test them first hand :D

The only advantage the QNIX's have on this display is resolution. Image quality should be comparable, and this monitor will destroy the QNIX's in motion clarity. Any of the overclockable 1440P monitors have really slow pixels, combined with sample and hold = just awful motion clarity.

And this measured 4300:1 contrast in flatpanels test, isn't that some kind of a record for computer monitors?

Combined with G-Sync I'd say this would be the perfect gaming LCD currently possible. Good panel, real 120 Hz for games where the system can keep up and still no tearing/VSync input lag on lower framerates.

If we go back to reality though this is easily far better than the first batch of G-Sync monitors which will all be Asus TN crap. The price tag is steep, but it does make me regret my recent FS2333 purchase a bit...

In for one as well. I have been waiting for a hardware implementation of Lightboost along with a non-tn 120hz panel. If it is terrible, Amazon is always great to work with.

Yeah I ordered one as well this morning. My QX2710 has to go back to Amazon anyways.

The only other place I see this available is shopblt.com - they have an estimate of 11/15 for their first shipment. Hopefully it is quicker then that for Amazon.

Combined with G-Sync I'd say this would be the perfect gaming LCD currently possible.

While true, the ultimate would be this panel with strobing backlight and G-Sync. But at this time that is impossible as no one has come up with a way to implement variable backlight strobing to match variable refresh rates required by G-Sync like Mark's idea. So right now, G-Sync / strobing backlight are either/or.

G-Sync will be incredibly nice in the realm of 60 Hz displays, 4K monitors etc in which you cannot strobe the backlight that slow as it would cause eye fatigue issues. In an either/or scenario for very fast computers that can keep FPS 120+, strobing backlight will still be superior to G-Sync as tearing isn't nearly as noticeable, input lag really isn't a problem, and stuttering isn't as large of an issue as it is at much lower frame rates.

But you need some serious hardware in modern games to minimize those three things that G-Sync help out dramatically.

Seems like great news, black level is the thing i feel the VG248QE lacks most.
Bought one, will have it tomorrow or on friday.
I can test input lag with dvi-splitter vs the asus, no crt to test with.

will be great )

Ok sweet I just put in my pre-order on Amazon...can't go wrong with them! Anyways, so I have been holding off on lightboost because after trying it out I was severely unimpressed with the colors and poor viewing angles of the TN's. I was about to purchase one of uncle vieto's fw-900's or a Panasonic plasma, boy am I glad I held off. If this monitor delivers it should make the perfect compromise. Yes it would be nice if it were 27" 1440p but I already have one of those for daily desktop use, I needed a great gaming monitor which no 1440p monitor is currently.

I will be really curious to see how this compares to a G-Sync 120hz monitor. I think I will also buy a G-Sync monitor as soon as that is available, and just sell whichever one I like less in gaming. I already have 3 WQHD displays for desktop usage so this display will specifically serve gaming functions (along with my projector).

Back