Eizo Foris 2421 keeled over, need advice

Kamamura

n00b
Hello, my 7 years old, beloved 2421 started showing dark spot onscreen, so it's sadly time to look for a new panel. The offers are overwhelming, so I thought of making a shortcut by having someone in the know (you guys) recommending me some tried and tested models. What was important for me (descending by importance):
  • Flicker-free - some Samsung panels claim it, then use PWM still absolute deal breaker for me, it wrecks my eyes
  • High refresh rate - 120Hz was enough for me, but it's nice to have, obviously
  • good contrast and colors - I admit I appreciate the deep contrast of the VA panel.
  • must be usable also for working with text (programming, unix terminals) - I have read that QLED monitors are terrible in this matter
  • some blur reduction function for FPS gaming would be nice
  • Preferred size and res is 24 inches 1920x1080 or up to 32 inches and 2K. Not going bigger than that due to video card strain.
Thanks for any tips!

Hello, my 7 years old, beloved 2421 started showing dark spot onscreen, so it's sadly time to look for a new panel. The offers are overwhelming, so I thought of making a shortcut by having someone in the know (you guys) recommending me some tried and tested models. What was important for me (descending by importance):
  • Flicker-free - some Samsung panels claim it, then use PWM still absolute deal breaker for me, it wrecks my eyes
  • High refresh rate - 120Hz was enough for me, but it's nice to have, obviously
  • good contrast and colors - I admit I appreciate the deep contrast of the VA panel.
  • must be usable also for working with text (programming, unix terminals) - I have read that QLED monitors are terrible in this matter
  • some blur reduction function for FPS gaming would be nice
  • Preferred size and res is 24 inches 1920x1080 or up to 32 inches and 2K. Not going bigger than that due to video card strain.
Thanks for any tips!

Unfortunately the monitor side of VA panels kinda suck. Most of the gaming grade monitors max out at 2500:1 contrast or so. Better than IPS but still very shallow in dimly lit room. The monitor I have now, Samsung S34J550 ultrawide VA has over 4500:1 contrast out of the box, but it is not really a gaming grade monitor. It does have Freesync up to 75hz AND it can be overclocked to 35hz-95hz Freesync range (got mine to 96hz, barely, and there are glitches unless I limit the FPS up to that point), but pixel response times suck ass especially compared to Fg2421 which was really fast for a VA. I did finish Doom Eternal with it though so it is not completly hopeless, but I would not recommend it to a gamer who mainly plays fast paced games.

*Edit* Oh, and there is nothing preventing QLEDs to be good at text readability. It is a backlight improvement. If the monitor has pixel structure reversed, BGR instead of RGB, then that screws font clarity up but in Windows it can be fixed by adjusting cleartype. Not sure about Linux.

Last edited:
If you can still find them a Samsung CRG5 24 inch VA I have two if em' but if I had to do it over I would of got the MSI Optix 24 inch VA just for the adjustable stand. If you go ips route the 240hz Alienware seems legit.

The 27 inch route you can pretty much get anything you want 4k or 2k HDR and all that jazz. I just find 27 inch too big.

Size has nothing to do with "video card strain." Resolution does. You can run a 4K monitor at 1920x1080 with perfect pixel scaling. Outside of gaming just use resolution scaling.
If you can still find them a Samsung CRG5 24 inch VA I have two if em' but if I had to do it over I would of got the MSI Optix 24 inch VA just for the adjustable stand. If you go ips route the 240hz Alienware seems legit.

The 27 inch route you can pretty much get anything you want 4k or 2k HDR and all that jazz. I just find 27 inch too big.
The CRG5 uses PWM dimming. Almost all Samsung monitors do.

Okay, for those who like narrations with endings - after reading quadzillion of reviews, I finally bought the LG 32GK850G, because it was heavily discounted (last panel in the shop), and I have decided that GSYNC is the most important part of the mosaic, and this monitor did not seem to have any deal breaker (like PWM).

Compared to the Eizo Foris 2421 (RIP), the contrast is nowhere as nice, but on the other hand, the viewing angles are much, MUCH better, and also, the grey uniformity is also much better, the Eizo had some crazy artifacts in greys. What is considerably worse is text rendering, but careful Cleartext calibration did improve things a lot.

Finally, GSYNC absolutely, totally rocks, I was right to insist on that one. Even if the framerates dip, the clarity of the pictuture and motion is outstanding. I miss some kind of strobing blur reduction, but after playing Apex Legends for a bit, I decided I don't miss it that much. The Eizo had some terrible purple artifacts going from greys to black (without Turbo 240), this LG is much better in that regard.

So, overall, I am quite happy. The colors do not "pop" as they did on the Eizo, but the extra screen space and the GSYNC fluidity more than make up for it. Moreover, the Eizo seemed to be lacked in red colors (they were all oranges), the new monitor does not have that flaw.

Back