Eizo EV2336W Impressions

Dcode

Limp Gawd
This monitor has been mentioned here and there in this forum but it does not have its own dedicated thread. I have had mine long enough now to let all the bug-bears come out and I am honestly as happy with it now as when I bought it about a month ago.

I purchased this monitor primarily for gaming but I wanted a good all rounder with decent colours, uniformity and viewing angles. Having tried many 120hz dedicated gaming monitors including Eizo's own FG2421 240hz VA (which has awful QA issues). I have been disappointed with the overall image quality offered by these panels. Image quality is sacrificed somewhere; colour quality, viewing angle and uniformity for raw speed. I have never been a fan of the external designs either when it comes to raw gaming products.

The EV2336W is a hidden gem and one of Eizo's best kept secrets. Eizo market this as an office monitor but it is much more than that. It uses the same panel as Eizo's gaming marketed Foris FS2333 which is a highly esteemed gaming-IPS (Samsung PLS based) monitor. So what you are getting here is a semi-pro, cleaner looking monitor than the FS2333 with an excellent stand with tilt and swivel functionality, no PWM dimming and less overshoot ghosting when using the fastest overdrive setting and most of the benefits of the FS2333 such as the quickest IPS pixel response times and virtually zero input lag (Prad.de measured 0.7ms) and it's around £50 cheaper and more widely available in the UK. You do loose the smart insight feature of the FS2333 which highlights dark areas of games making enemies easier to spot in competitive matches, but it's not a deal breaker. You also loose the remote and HDMI input so it's not ideal for consoles.

Pixel response times are not up there with the fastest 120hz TN's but you would expect that. Where this monitor really shines is it's lack of input lag. It was instantly noticeable to me and the panel feels extremely snappy. I play a lot of heads down CS:GO and this monitor does not hold me back. It's great to have a monitor with awesome image quality and be fast enough for the most demanding games.

+

High quality Samsung PLS panel (marketed as IPS as more people understand this terminology). Stock settings are very pleasing. The only thing you need to do is turn down the brightness settings and jack up the overdrive.

Virtually zero input lag make the monitor ideal for heads down competitive gaming sessions.

Motion blur is low and there is no visible trailing. Overshoot is minimal on the fastest overdrive setting in real world use.

Industrial looking low profile cabinet with a great stand and thin bezel.

Made in Japan backed by a 5 year limited warranty.

Vibrant colourful image with great uniformity and very little backlight bleed.

No PWM dimming above 20 brightness. Read up on PWM dimming if you are unaware of the issues it can cause.

-

Not really a fault of the monitor but if you use nVidia hardware make sure you use the DVI cable rather than display port as the colours appear washed out.

Expensive compared to equivalent 23" IPS monitors but you get what you pay for.

16:9 1920x1080 might be an issue for productivity with some people.

1 stuck red pixel in the top left corner.

Last edited:
I am not sure if you have seen other similar monitors to compare, but I have heard the EV2336 described as full "semi-glossy" (like the Samsungs...though I realize semi-glossy is technically matte) and not just "very light matte," such as the BenQ BL2411PT uses. Is it true that it is the full semi-glossy coating equivalent to the Samsungs?

I have not seen the Samsungs nor the Benq in the flesh. However the EV2336 uses a Samsung panel, same as my old VP2770 and the coating is the same.

It uses a matte coating, its non reflective but its not grainy and there is no sparkle going off either.

Thinking about this one too. Tigerdirect has it for $381 before $25 off rebate and $30 from AMEX, or 5% cashback from Bank of America.

Newegg has it for $379 before 10% off (Masterpass).

I really want the Eizo 120Hz VA panel but the thread here is pretty scary. :(

Finally got mine today. I am not going to make any detailed impressions right now since I have not had time to use it much yet. But a quick question...

When I first tried it, there was a massive amount of image distortion similar to what you would see from analog TV static, except flickering colorful lines. The locations and severity of the distortion changed based on the different types of images/colors I was putting on the screen. A few times there even appeared to be a stationary oval border that contained a large part of the distortion, but it would go away depending on the picture displayed. I eventually replaced the original DVI cable I was using (the monoprice 15ft one I had used with my previous two monitors without such problems) with the one that came with the EV2336W and I no longer had the problem.

I am not sure if the monoprice cable is defective, if it was having trouble transmitting 1080p (previously it was transmitting 1680x1050), if it was touching a power cord, or something else.

However, the outer box was damaged (not the Eizo one, but the outer B&H one) by UPS, with an actual hole in it. There was no noticeable damage on the inner/Eizo box. Just wanted to make sure that what I described is a normal potential DVI cable problem and not possibly indicative of a damaged or defective monitor (since it has gone away with the new cable).

You will get artifacts if there is an issue with the cable.

Just check for excessive backlight bleed and uniformity of solid colours.

Not really a fault of the monitor but if you use nVidia hardware make sure you use the DVI cable rather than display port as the colours appear washed out.

And if you really need to use DP instead of DVI, this is the Nvidia 16-235 color range issue, and the easiest way to deal with it may be this utility which does the same thing as editing your monitor driver files before installing them.

Thanks, I will continue testing and making adjustments. By the way, does anyone have any color, gamma, etc... calibration numbers to try for this one? Unfortunately, I cannot afford a calibrator at this time.

I just left everything stock, cranked the overdrive to the fastest setting and lowered the brightness. Everything looks pleasing enough to my eyes but I don't know how accurate the colours are.

All the test patterns on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ come back positive with distinctions between the shades on contrast, black level and white level.

You could try using some FS2333 settings as there are more reviews of that thing out there.

This monitor may be fine for gaming, but not for image editing. When viewing a black test screen, there was a significant amount of backlight leakage along the bottom of the panel. When viewing a white test screen, the uniformity was dreadful. Needless to say, I returned it.

If it's anything like the FS2333 then no, it's max is 60hz but I will have a blast with it and see what I can get out of it.

Hi, following my thread were I was asking what to buy, DELL U2414H or EIZO EV2336WFS-BK I bought EIZO. Display is connected via D-SUB to old dell laptop so maybe this can influence somehow picture quality. Anyway, display is amazing.
Pros:
vibrant colourful image,
no backlight bleed at all,
no problematic pixels,
great black colour (in fact I didn't saw such black's for a long time ... probably because it has no backlight bleed),
no PWM dimming above 20 brightness,
very good stock settings (after calibration with X-Rite colormunki DISPLAY improvement was not so substantial ...and for shure not as the price of Colormunki :)),
good for games (at least for WarCrat III),
build quality.

Cons:
white is not so white as CRT's :),
white colour has some variations (left part of the display is "warmer" then the right part) but I didn't saw some differences on other colours and in fact I didn't saw any LCD screen with perfect uniformity of white (at least my last 2 monitors, DELL 2209WA and DELL U2412M had the same issue),
price :) (in Romania I paid nearly 375 Euro).

I hope that my short review will be useful for some of you.

Last edited:
Nice one for reporting back and I am glad you got a good panel.

Is the white uniformity glaringly obvious or just slight?

Well, for me it's obvious because I know that it's there :). I said this to my wife and she was looking for a few seconds and after that she confirmed that yes, there are some differences in white colour. But I saw the same type of problem on my last 2 monitors - DELL 2209WA and DELL U2412M. I didn't saw it on ViewSOnic VX924 (probably because it was a 4:3 19" LCD). Can you check your display ? There are some deviations of white colour ?

p.s. Later, I will make a picture to show that uniformity.

Last edited:
Yes there are some very slight deviations in white uniformity on mine as well. I tried to take a picture but the photo showed dark areas on the whites where it was invisible to the naked eye.

And your right. All of my previous LCDs have had worse white uniformity than this. This is the best I have had along the VP2770.

Can some one check to see if a dp-hdmi cable/adapter works with consoles? Not everyone has a PC with DP...thanks.

Yes there are some very slight deviations in white uniformity on mine as well. I tried to take a picture but the photo showed dark areas on the whites where it was invisible to the naked eye.

And your right. All of my previous LCDs have had worse white uniformity than this. This is the best I have had along the VP2770.

For the price, one really can't expect this kind of perfection. Which is why the professional models (the true pro models) cost as much as they do. :eek: :cool:

Just mentioning that so far I have not had any problems with the monitor. I have not noticed any input lag, blur, etc... in comparison to my now-dead LG 227wtg (which was the fastest TN gaming monitor one could buy back in late 2008). Of course, I am not as fast as some FPS gamers - I have to win by outsmarting you fast shooters :)

There is some IPS glow in the corners, especially an abnormal amount (only know it is abnormal with a camera - cannot tell with just eyes on a black background) on the bottom left. But coming from a glossy TN, I barely notice it ever. I regularly noticed reflections on my last monitor even when there was no direct light in front of it - almost never notice this IPS glow though even when watching dark scenes in movies. People particularly sensitive to it will probably notice it though if my camera is showing the bottom left corner accurately.

Just picked this one up. Will get a better look at it later, but does anyone have color setting they'd like to share?

Thanks.

Well I've had a little more time with it in darker light, and I can't believe a $400 monitor has so much glow from the corners. I'm starting to lose faith that I will ever find a decent monitor. How much do I have to spend for a decent gaming monitor with no glow from the corners? I can deal with a lower contrast ration, just no god damn corner glow.

How bright do you have it set? If you keep buying monitors and keep the brightness cranked in dark rooms you will find all AHVA/IPS/PLS within your price range have the same problem. Also, if the monitor is connected via Displayport to a Nvidia GPU it will look severely washed out.

Last edited:
How bright do you have it set? If you keep buying monitors and keep the brightness cranked in dark rooms you will find all AHVA/IPS/PLS within your price range have the same problem. Also, if the monitor is connected via Displayport to a Nvidia GPU it will look severely washed out.

I keep the brightness low, usually around 24 recently and always use DVI. Maybe I just have bad luck. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Well I've had a little more time with it in darker light, and I can't believe a $400 monitor has so much glow from the corners. I'm starting to lose faith that I will ever find a decent monitor. How much do I have to spend for a decent gaming monitor with no glow from the corners? I can deal with a lower contrast ration, just no god damn corner glow.

I was pretty surprised you gave up on the FG, but I can't blame anyone who doesn't like theirs. Mine has quirks like the good old "lightstrip" effect that isn't bleed... but the corners are the colors they should be. That's pretty much why I felt forced to go to a VA panel. Strobing TN's , IPS/PLS AHVA all fail the black screen uniformity test and thus destroy immersion in games and movies constantly.

If none of the monitors you are using look normal at all, I would begin to wonder how you are connecting them and make sure you aren't having some sort of driver gamma issue.

What type of graphics cards are you using and what type of connectors? HDMI and DP on Nvidia cards can cause problems. DVI is my preference on my system.

Edit: oh, hes's using DVI... hmm I'd try another FG2421. I've had 5 on my tab le and 1 on the way, all of them had perfect passes on the black screen test. No bleed, no glow, nothing. Pure black every inch. A weird dithering effect can cause something that looks like BLB on the FG2421's I've had, but it's really slight in my experience, especially compared to the glow you've documented in your photographs above.

The only other person as picky as us that I've read posts from lately were a guy that kept going up the Eizo ladder right out of 120Hz land (I actually got this guy's returned FG2421 from Newegg as an Open Box that he wrote a review on--it was a complete trainwreck). Think he ended up with a $1500 CX240. If you want to stay in the motion clarity "gamer" area of the market, your choices are extremely narrow.

Last edited:
Yep, in the present-day monitor industry it is all about picking the lesser of the evils - none of the options are truly good no matter how much money you spend. If you have unlimited money (and the willingness to spend so much on something so trivial), the best option is to buy several expensive monitors, each one for a different purpose lol.

I was pretty surprised you gave up on the FG, but I can't blame anyone who doesn't like theirs. Mine has quirks like the good old "lightstrip" effect that isn't bleed... but the corners are the colors they should be. That's pretty much why I felt forced to go to a VA panel. Strobing TN's , IPS/PLS AHVA all fail the black screen uniformity test and thus destroy immersion in games and movies constantly.

If none of the monitors you are using look normal at all, I would begin to wonder how you are connecting them and make sure you aren't having some sort of driver gamma issue.

What type of graphics cards are you using and what type of connectors? HDMI and DP on Nvidia cards can cause problems. DVI is my preference on my system.

Edit: oh, hes's using DVI... hmm I'd try another FG2421. I've had 5 on my tab le and 1 on the way, all of them had perfect passes on the black screen test. No bleed, no glow, nothing. Pure black every inch. A weird dithering effect can cause something that looks like BLB on the FG2421's I've had, but it's really slight in my experience, especially compared to the glow you've documented in your photographs above.

The only other person as picky as us that I've read posts from lately were a guy that kept going up the Eizo ladder right out of 120Hz land (I actually got this guy's returned FG2421 from Newegg as an Open Box that he wrote a review on--it was a complete trainwreck). Think he ended up with a $1500 CX240. If you want to stay in the motion clarity "gamer" area of the market, your choices are extremely narrow.

I think part of the problem is I was expecting to be blown away by the FG2421 black performance, when it's really not that great (unless I have yet another dud). Is it better than IPS and TN? Of course. But it only excels when you're viewing a completely black image. Anything other than that and you start to see the problems.

It also has "problems" viewing any type of video source that might even be slightly compressed. And the artifacts/pixelization is clearly worse in the corners and sides were the bleed is prominent.

The glossy screen and reflections annoy me the most though. There's also color banding, or I think that's what it is.

Now with the EV2336 I really expected minimal bleed and glow but nope, it's just like my U2312h and the P2414h I tried. It's comical actually. I don't know how people put up with it to be honest. I'm ready to throw in the towel altogether and just stop gaming on my computer.

I think part of the problem is I was expecting to be blown away by the FG2421 black performance, when it's really not that great (unless I have yet another dud). Is it better than IPS and TN? Of course. But it only excels when you're viewing a completely black image. Anything other than that and you start to see the problems.

It also has "problems" viewing any type of video source that might even be slightly compressed. And the artifacts/pixelization is clearly worse in the corners and sides were the bleed is prominent.

The glossy screen and reflections annoy me the most though. There's also color banding, or I think that's what it is.

Now with the EV2336 I really expected minimal bleed and glow but nope, it's just like my U2312h and the P2414h I tried. It's comical actually. I don't know how people put up with it to be honest. I'm ready to throw in the towel altogether and just stop gaming on my computer.

I'm not sure if you got another dud, or I got one of a few early production models that were outstanding, because it is as if we are talking about two completely different models. My experience with almost every FG2421 I've had (5 now--4 rejected for pixel issues and or restarting and I have 1 more incoming on Friday) is that all 5 were very uniform at almost any grey gradient with the normal faint gamma shift ball in the center--and that's not detectable often in motion, in movies, in any situation other than scrolling across solid backgrounds--with the exception of the "light strips" on one or both sides to varying degree. I can't imagine not gaming on my PC, but I've seen one other person on the FG2421 thread that "threw in the towel" between the lag on the FG and the bugs with BF4.

Personally, I use my FG2421 to watch 720p GoPro in-car videos from race-media.tv on Youtube and they look better than I've seen them on any TN I tried--they don't suffer from obvious artifacting unless you are sitting too close--which will give you a headache faster anyway--I've even taken to using Turbo 240 pretty much all the time, unless I just flipped the monitor on. I haven't got my hands on a Qnix/Xstar YET but I'm damn curious. This OP monitor, the EV2336W IS better in some ways than the FS2333 on paper, NCX is right. But either way you can end up with an ugly bleeding or glowing panel. All of these "consumer grade" "premium manufacturer" Eizo displays are going to be more below avg than above avg because they take the good panels and use them for more expensive displays--like the CX240.

Last edited:

I'm exactly in the same boat as you. Bought 3 screens in the past 2 weeks, and all of them have been absolutely horrible in some way. Started out with a Dell U2414H, which had horrible IPS glow only in the left bottom corner (but the size of 1/3 the screen in both height/width). Secondly i tried the Iiyama X2483HSU A-MVA, but the black crush effect is much much more than i expected, I recon a good 1/5 of my screen (where i sat right in front of) had all of its details crushed on darker images. Finally I tried the EV2336, seeing as its EIZO, and should be good quality, but it was the worst of the 3 screens. The EV2336 was rougly 1,5x the price of the earlier screens, smaller, colors looked "odd" to say the least. Backlight bleed on 3 corners, and ips glow in 2 corners, and to top it off the whites on the EV2336 were yellow on the left, and blueish on the right.

Right now I'm not sure what to buy anymore. All stores in here (NL) won't let me test the screens before buying, so I have to buy the screen first, and if not satisfied, RMA it..

hey lasty, what did you end up going with?
I too am in the Netherlands and was considering the EV2336 - did you get it from Azerty?

I decided on the P2414H but it has some significant back light bleed and gamma issues.
Thinking about returning it for the EV2336, but perhaps I should just try another P2414H..

Interested to hear which retailer you went for or if you tried another Eizo.

@Everyone, could you comment on the build quality? Is the stand sturdy and panel housing firm?

Many thanks

Overall build quality is decent and in line with what you would expect for something costing £260.

The whites on mine are uniform, there is a small amount of back light bleed at the top part of my screen and all 4 corners have IPS glow, so if this is something that bothers you a lot you might be best skipping this screen.

I also have 1 dead pixel in the top left corner.

I can live with its flaws.

Thanks Dcode, I think IPS glow is pretty much inevitable when pursuing the currently available panels in this range.

I found the display on sale for 240 EUR, so might give it a try this weekend to see how it fares against the P2414H.

Did you end up calibrating it?

I too am a CS player, so glad to hear it does the trick. Do you use the standard overdrive setting? I think another user in this thread commented the fastest setting causes it to overshoot.

I use the fastest overdrive setting and I can deal with the overshoot. In real world usage its not that bad.

I have not calibrated it, just straight from the box and the image is well decent.

I think this is a 6bit+FRC panel, like all budget IPS/PLS displays.

Back