Eizo CX241 For Movies / Gaming

aa97

n00b
Hi Everyone !

for almost 2 years i've been searching for an high quality 22-24" inch display that would provide me high quality blacks and contrast ratio.

when the eizo fg2421 released i almost purchased it but the high number of quality controll issues that has been reported
in this forum and in other places caused me to skip it (the products return policy in my country is very bad...)

so i waited a little more and i heard about the samsung c24fg70 monitor which according to its specs would be close to the
fg2421 (va + high refresh rate) , however there are reports that the c24fg70 have faults such as purple artifact when some textures
are displayed and when using freesync the lower left corner of the screen flash etc... so i decided to skip that one too.

right now my search has reached to the eizo cx241 which use IPS panel + polarizer to eliminate IPS glow.

according to Eizo site the CX241 have 7.7ms Grey-to-Grey response time and 12ms Black-White-Black response time.

i do not play online shooters only single player games such as Skyrim,GTA V,Falllout,Stalker,Resident Evil and some strategy games.

Would the CX241 Be OK choise in that case ? or would it be a diseaser due to the response times?

Currenly i have been using two monitors which are Dell 2209wa and U2312hm
and i've been wondering how would the CX241 compare to them regarding the blacks and response times?

does anyone here have a better monitor to recommend me if my requirements are:

1)good blacks (so either VA panel or IPS without glow)
2)Screen size 22-24" (i don't have alot of space at my desk...)
3)Ability to play games such as Skyrim,GTA V,Falllout,Stalker,Resident Evil
4)Price up to 1500$

?

any opinion would be appreciated !

1. VA monitors have good blacks, for an LCD, but VA is bad at motion (some transitions) so your options are very limited to IPS with Advanced True Wide polarizer. Eizo makes such monitors like the ColorEdge series including the older, yours, CX241. Unfortunately this monitors are wide gamut so you must be careful setting it for sRGB content. There are also sRGB monitors with low glow panels like the old Eizo EV2736W and others with 2560x1440 PLS panels LTM270DL02, LTM270DL04, LTM270DL06 from 2011-2013, but those are long gone. Comparison: left 2012 vs right 2014 Eizo EV2736W (not the best pictures, but you get the idea).

EpATzC2.jpg
NcP9yqZ.jpg

2. 24" 16:10 is very close in size vs 27" 16:9. Maybe you could fit an 27" ColorEdge like CX271 or something newer.

27-inch-16x9-vs-24-inch-16x10.png

3. You should be fine with ~16 ms response time and ~20 ms lag. People also play on much slower TVs and the CX241 is faster than every TV you can buy now.
I saw an CX217 which had some glow, little and I also saw another with hard to see glow, this one it was well worth 1500 euros. An CX241 with this kind of panel and glossy ( CX241 is glossy, right ??) laughs at this 3000:1 VA monitors.

You already waited a long time, maybe you could wait a little more for OLED monitors, I don't thing they are that far away and buy something cheap for now.

What should i expect from a wide gamut monitor ? , if i would set it to sRGB mode would it be the same as my dells ?

Wide gamut = oversaturated and inaccurate colours when displaying sRGB content if lacking colour-gamut conversion function. Eizo should have an good sRGB mode.

Back