Eizo CX240 Review

sleep mode next time ;)

Ye, i guess.

I found out what caused it tho. There was part of a mesh flickering ingame. And it been turning on and off the pixels so fast, that they seem to have been overloaded or something.

Anyways, i see no sign of it anymore :)

(it can probably happen on every monitor using the same scenario)

Bad luck strikes again :(

Got a dead pixel this morning in the lower left corner.

Thank god for the Class 1 Pixel warranty, cuz it's going back.

Got it back again, pixels fixed.

No panel replacement, looks like they were hot pixels.

Gotta love their support tho :p

you are quite unlucky. i hope we will get rid of this LCD technology soon :)

I am looking at the CX241 since it is fanless but like the CX240 the min brightess is rated 50cd/m²

Do you know if you can go a bit below with colornavigator (like 40cd..) without killing the Contrast Ratio ? (i guess you can't, but just asking)

infos about the CX241 for those interested : http://mva.pl/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1737&sid=316ba01d160387f64593df31df4df3b7
Still a Samsung PLS panel, AR coating glossier than CX240

Last edited:
Below are comparison photos of my old LaCie 324 24" monitor on the left and the new Eizo CG277 27" monitor on the right. I have observed and photographed significant backlight bleeding or leaking on two Eizo CG277 monitors.

I have been going back and forth with the company about the issue depicted below. They say the performance is normal and within specifications. I'm troubled that the $700.00 LaCie monitor on the left clearly out performs Eizo's most expensive monitor geared for photographers, especially while priced at three times as much ($2,300.00) as the LaCie. I’ve been reading on hardforum.com page 5-7 about other people having the same issue as me. It is clearly a manufacturing problem and it does seem to be caused by pressure of the bezel pressed against the screen. I am surprised that no reviewer out there has observed anything like this. Maybe they aren't doing there jobs. I've had two CG277 monitors so far and both acted exactly alike. I noted the production date on the last monitor 2014/05/21. I hope that Eizo adjusts there manufacturing process and I hope that the next monitor I receive is from that updated production period.

I hope this information can help anyone else looking to buy this monitor or help anyone else experiencing the same issues as me.

Link to images
http://www.robertmassman.com/eizo_monitor/140822_eizo_cg277_backlight_bleed_leak.html

02.png

The Eizo's brightness is obviously set much higher than the Lacie, and is too bright for dark room use. These monitors are not intended to be purchased and kept cranked in a dark room, they are supposed to be calibrated to 100-140cdm/2 and used in properly lit rooms.

Unfortunately backlight bleed is very common with IPS panel even these days and also with $$$ high end model.
It's so common that they declare it "in spec" unless it is really severe :( NEC Pxxx, Eizo CX/CG .... all of these are prone to it.

Having a 100% bleed free IPS is almost luck. It must be hard to lover of night photography

LG and Samsung (manufacturers of panels) are to blame. (the panels seems to be not totally flat, thus the pressure problem) It seems it is the best than they can produce for the price.

Also your Lacie was VA so it has better black overall.
VA is maybe less prone to bleed, i am not sure use i never owned one.

Eventually the bleed can lessen (a bit) with time. You can try to let your screen at 100% brightness for a few hours per day during a week. Heat can help the panel. (but since LED panels doesnt heat much...)

(Prad.de CG277 review also exhibit "minor" bleed like yours)

Last edited:
i got the CX241.. with a dead subpixel of course
(I am trying to revive it but i think i will send it back and order a new one)

The PQ is fantastic, the non-glow film is awesome. It must be seen.
Remind you of the CRT era :)
The thick bezel doesnt bother me at all.

I had some fear about the AG coating (it looked a bit too glossy on pictures found on another forum), but actually it is exactly the same level than on my FS2333 when you are on normal position. Only from extreme angle it is glossier (maybe intentional to stop light coming from sides)

The lowest black level (without DUE) is 0.045
So at 30cd you can get a ~650 CR, which is not bad for low light use (and you can easily switch your various calibrations preset with the "Mode" button).

For the input lag, i have no advanced software or hardware but i seems to be around 15ms.
The response time is not very good. The Overdrive doesnt make much difference.

Of course there is some kind of backlight bleed but it is minimal (by today's standard)

Overall i think except the new backlight, it is exactly the same than the prad CX240 review (without fan!)

I have the FS2333 just beside, and the difference on black level is amazing (i love dark/black wallpapers)

Last edited:
cool! I contacted Eizo about the fans, they told me they don't provide less noisy ones :( they said to try and update the firmware, that it might have an impact on fan use... but it didn't change anything.

The CX241 is supposed to be glossier than the CX240 though. That's the only reason I'm sticking with the CX240 for the time being.

Well you can open the case and put resistors on it but it would void warranty :)

if I knew for sure with which third party fans I could replace the stock ones, I would do it anyway... :)

well i can't go above 660:1 with DUE brightness (at 80 or 120cd)
That's pretty bad

IPS with DUE are lucky to have >800:1 contrast, but the matte grey bezel increases the perceived black depth, plus these are glow free.

But for the CX240 or CX271, prad say ~800:1 with DUE uniformity and ~900:1 with DUE brightness

I get at best 660:1 with DUE brigthness (and worse with uniformity)
I tried both sRGB and Native gamut , DVI/DP

my CX241 :

DUE brightness
60cd : 656:1
80cd : 660:1

DUE uniformity
60cd : 572:1
80cd : 575:1

Last edited:
LG IPS panels contrast commonly varies by 20-30% between the same monitors. If you are really worried, try out (buy form a store with a hassle free return policy) a cheap <24" AH-IPS or AD-PLS panel and see how glossy bezels, glow and frame-less IPS casings they use make blacks look light compared to your CX240. Bezel color+coating comparisons.

well i will see with the replacement monitor (already requested replacement for the dead pixel, thanks amazon)
The 241 is PLS though

also i noticed that i suffer from the "red fringe issue" on left of text (white on black background). Like a misconverted CRT
(i wear glasses, but it is the same without). The sRGB emulation doesnt help.
The result is that black on white text is more blurry to
(This is not a cleartype problem)

Make the whole experience a little bit more blurry than on a regular gamut monitor. Maybe i will reconsider.
My will was PWM free down to 30cd and glow free but there is no Standart Gamut alternative i think

Last edited:
Back