Either I'm maturing or don't have a real appetite..

AMDXP

2[H]4U
I don't have an appetite to play games anymore. They all seem to be re-innovations of the old, just new. I don't know if it's like that for anyone else, but thoughts?

I seriously feel even the new games aren't appealing..

Quake Wars? Demo was lame.. BF2 in the Future.
COD4 Maybe, but still a re-vamp on maybe Delta Force just future mixed with the feel of Source Insurgency.
UT3? Feels like the old Unreal Tournament, just a tad better graphics.

Bio-Shock? This game was utterly boring. Not innovating.

Half-Life 2 , good game, however the expansions.. common...

I don't know, I guess I'll just stick to the recreational CS:S.

:rolleyes:

I'm feeling the same way for about 4 years now... I can't even remember the last time I finished a game.. such a shame

Well how old are you guys? I'm the same way, however I'm 43. The last thing I played the hell out of was BF2. I bought BF2142---a year or more after it came out---and haven't yet played it online. I recently did play the Medal of Honor Airborne demo quite a bit, but it was after my wife gave me pot on our anniversary. (I gave it up several months ago).

I even own HL2 episode 1 and haven't played it through, and *gasp* haven't even bought several premier titles that are out like Quake Wars, TF2, etc.

I'm chalking it up to simple aging. You can't really control your passions or lack thereof.

However, if a FPS came out that was tailored to my specific needs, I'd probably play the hell out of it, but you never know. I was thinking about even buying MOH: Airborne, however 50 bucks is just too rich right now.

I don't have an appetite to play games anymore. They all seem to be re-innovations of the old, just new. I don't know if it's like that for anyone else, but thoughts?

COD4 Maybe, but still a re-vamp on maybe Delta Force just future mixed with the feel of Source Insurgency.

Give Portal a try.
It was fun and definitely different from what I'm used to.
Like a maze game/strategy/ thinking game... with some lady robot
being sarcastic on a loudspeaker half the time towards the end of the game.

I give it a 7.5 - 7.9 out of 10

Not bad, it was fun

Sadly, I agree. This seems to be the state of a lot of veteran gamers. While I do enjoy the recent games, they just don't have the new, awe inspiring-must play it all the time appeal that games of yesteryear had. And though it's been beaten to death, the Golden Age of gaming has come and gone, while corparate giants smash all hope of creativity...

BTW dude, did you actually play the first Delta Force? WOw, I still have amazing memories of that game and it probably looks so dated now. HOwever I still haven't played a "modern" FPS game that features such huuuge spaces to fight in. But man, I loved that game back in the day. I remember how you could snipe from a million miles away, but you had to lead your shots considerably and it was still a crap shoot. ANd the maps were like Afganistan or something---treeless. Ah, the old days...*heavy sigh*

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Games really aren't holding my attention anymore. I think it's because the games themselves aren't as good as past classics. Earlier this summer, I played several old games for the first time: Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Fallout 1 & 2. I thoroughly enjoyed playing these classics. The storylines were deep and engrossing which more than made up for the dated graphics. One fairly recent game that really kept me enthralled was Dreamfall.

I find today's games lacking a lot of the wit, dark humor and intelligence that made older games so much fun. Sure, the graphics of BioShock are incredible, but the story and gameplay bored me to the point where I stopped playing it after just over a week. I hope COD4, The Witcher, Kane & Lynch and Project Offset live up to the expectations.

Maybe we're just getting old...

Has anyone noticed that the OP has only mentioned FPSs?

If you keep playing just FPSs for years and years, I can see why you feel this way. Try some other genres.

Well, I'm 17 but have been playing since 6, so I can't call myself a veteran gamer, but I have memories of classics at their prime times such as Fallout, System Shock 2, Diablo 1+2, Red Alert 2, etc.. most games these days seems to just want to make more and more money, instead of putting time into quality games

Same exact thing is happening to me, I remember when I was 11-13 years old and all these games just were so fun that they consumed my entire day. Sadly though, I cannot sit more than 2 hours in any game I play, it just looses it's appeal and becomes boring, and I'm 17. This all happened after I decided to take my 'vacation' from WoW, which I planned to return to when the 2nd expansion came out. Currently I have no burning desire to play it, but I suppose I must return since WoW was the only game that I can actually play ALL day.

This all happened after I decided to take my 'vacation' from WoW, which I planned to return to when the 2nd expansion came out. Currently I have no burning desire to play it, but I suppose I must return since WoW was the only game that I can actually play ALL day.

Hard to quit huh? I remember when quitting turned into an "extended vacation" for me too :p . WoW gave me a rush I've never experienced with any other game, when I went into Molten Core for the first time with a group of 39 other future raiders in our UBRS/LBRS/BRD gear to conquer the first real raid content. The feeling we got killing a raid boss (Lucifron) for the first time. Killing Onyxia for the first time. Those are huge feelings of accomplishment that a single player game or a casual multiplayer game cant really give you, and I think thats where your "burning desire" (aka addiction) comes from. Gonna have to cold turkey it bud, just like all the rest of us :D

It's like getting your first virtual shot of heroin. The unmatched feeling of joy and accomplishment finally paying off, it just seems to make other games seem bland and uneventful. Or maybe thats all a delusion? :D

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Games really aren't holding my attention anymore. I think it's because the games themselves aren't as good as past classics. Earlier this summer, I played several old games for the first time: Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Fallout 1 & 2. I thoroughly enjoyed playing these classics. The storylines were deep and engrossing which more than made up for the dated graphics. One fairly recent game that really kept me enthralled was Dreamfall.

I find today's games lacking a lot of the wit, dark humor and intelligence that made older games so much fun. Sure, the graphics of BioShock are incredible, but the story and gameplay bored me to the point where I stopped playing it after just over a week. I hope COD4, The Witcher, Kane & Lynch and Project Offset live up to the expectations.

Maybe we're just getting old...

I did the same thing, the games just don't seem as deep anymore. I can't really explain it.

BTW dude, did you actually play the first Delta Force? WOw, I still have amazing memories of that game and it probably looks so dated now. HOwever I still haven't played a "modern" FPS game that features such huuuge spaces to fight in. But man, I loved that game back in the day. I remember how you could snipe from a million miles away, but you had to lead your shots considerably and it was still a crap shoot. ANd the maps were like Afganistan or something---treeless. Ah, the old days...*heavy sigh*

Yes I did, I played back on 33.6k and Windows 95. I loved doing Co-op.

:(

I actually played it recently and there are some few servers.

Hard to quit huh? I remember when quitting turned into an "extended vacation" for me too :p . WoW gave me a rush I've never experienced with any other game, when I went into Molten Core for the first time with a group of 39 other future raiders in our UBRS/LBRS/BRD gear to conquer the first real raid content. The feeling we got killing a raid boss (Lucifron) for the first time. Killing Onyxia for the first time. Those are huge feelings of accomplishment that a single player game or a casual multiplayer game cant really give you, and I think thats where your "burning desire" (aka addiction) comes from. Gonna have to cold turkey it bud, just like all the rest of us :D

It's like getting your first virtual shot of heroin. The unmatched feeling of joy and accomplishment finally paying off, it just seems to make other games seem bland and uneventful. Or maybe thats all a delusion? :D

Same, I was a 70 UD rogue in the Assassination set, but I can't see shelling out that much money and it took me since December 2005 just to even get to 70 with one other real alt..

Low pop realm FTL!

I was feeling much the same as the OP, although I have had much less time to play, since going back to school. I recently purchased an XBOX 360, Halo 3, and Gears of War and im hooked all over again. I was expecting much less from a console, due to all the negaive talk about the system, but I ended up being pleasently surprised.

ahh yes that game was so fun back then, but funny thing is, the whole franchise of Delta Force never really showed how elite you must be to be in Delta Force...Kinda funny cause all their games are run and gun

still fun tho IMO

Thats cause you only try shooters. Why don't you try some RTS games or some RPG games.

Has anyone noticed that the OP has only mentioned FPSs?

If you keep playing just FPSs for years and years, I can see why you feel this way. Try some other genres.

That's what I keep saying every time one of these threads come up.

I think I even saw one over on another board that went something like - "I'm so tired of gaming, I'm about to give it up and sell my system. Everything just feels like the same thing, I don't get how people can play for so many years! I've tried EVERY major hit in the past few years - starting with Battlefield 1942! Then Battlefield: Vietnam, Battlefield 2, and now the Battlefield 2142 demo - and even with all that variety, it all feels the same!! What's the point any more? I'm going to end it all, now!"

Seriously, try some real flight sims. "Il2:1946" is great. Hundreds of aircraft to choose from, decent (not groundbreaking) graphics, large online community. Or subsims. I'm a fan of the "Silent Hunter" series, and the last (with patch) isn't bad at all. Absolutely BREATHTAKING graphics in that one. RPGs, too - "Oblivion", for instance. For click-fest strategy games, "Company of Heroes" comes HIGHLY recommended, and if you want a more slow-paced, cerebral, and realistic offering, "Theater of War" or "Medieval II: Total War".

And that's not even beginning to touch the story-heavy adventure games. "Dreamfall" and "Indigo Prophecy" are the latest that are absolutely amazing, but earlier titles (and other titles presented in the same style) hold up well, too ("The Longest Journey", "Grim Fandango", and recently the series of "Agatha Christie" games).

And forgetting MMOs entirely. "World of Warcraft", "Lord of the Rings Online", and the "Everquest" games must be doing something right to have a measurable percentage of the human race subscribing to them (although not for myself, they certainly do attract a crowd).

I mean, yes, if you only EVER play one genre, than only a subset of the titles IN that genre ('action shooters'), then I would imagine gaming will start to seem pretty stale, pretty fast. For most people, anyway.

Generally agree....

however, Overlord was pretty good.
sam and max season 1 - YES old school adventures of a bygone era!
Warhammer 40,000k (the new expansion came out this year)- not to mention a great game, it has one of the best intros of any game ever.
Afterlight and Galactic Civilizations II get honorable mentions for bringing back good concepts.

well that's it for this year as far as i can remember...

back to CS:S

however, looking forward to Assassins Creed, i think it has a lot of potential.
Its like they took the Oblivion/Thief idea and improved upon it.. IF they can make it work.

also Fallout 3 next year.

also, heres a good time killer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GunBound

Games haven't evolved as they should have. That coupled with the maturity that comes with getting older are the reasons we dont play as much anymore and are not as excited about gaming.

That will change in the future as technology advances (think Wii but many times more interactive) but for now we are in the calm before the next big storm. Same things has happened with movie effects in the past few years. How many Matrix bullet time or Crouching wire-fu effects have you seen? When was the last time you couldnt wait to see a movie because of the strength of its visual effects like Terminator 2, Matrix, etc?

You're just emotional today. Tomorrow you'll feel better and play more games.

rofl, best response ever.. yea I can see both sides to the argument though, one where your sick of the same old shit, same old gameplay, and the other where you can appreciate the new artistic directions, new variations in gameplay and level design.. like TF2, its an old game thats been revamped, and so much so it feels like a totally different game.. to me anyways, I NEVER liked team fortress, it was always boring, but now I can't stop playing TF2, it's great.. I'd recommend to those that are bored to at least try to look at other genre's, it's definitely worth it, cause you may find a new game that's completely different and refreshing than what your used to..

I really wish the technology in "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' movie was real. We could get our memories of games wiped and then games today would make us cream our pants again like when we were kids.

I switched from FPS games to RTS games and have never looked back.

Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, and Command and Conquer have given me a new hope in gaming. They take time to learn sure... but the strategy is awesome.

I used to be a huge UT/BF series fan, and bought ETQW but played it once... then put it down and havent picked it up again. Now me and my mates have RTS nights instead. The thinking man's games!! LOL!

Give them a try...

I switched from FPS games to RTS games and have never looked back.

Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, and Command and Conquer have given me a new hope in gaming. They take time to learn sure... but the strategy is awesome.

I used to be a huge UT/BF series fan, and bought ETQW but played it once... then put it down and havent picked it up again. Now me and my mates have RTS nights instead. The thinking man's games!! LOL!

Give them a try...

I have, CoH, Imperial Glory, Midieval Total-War, Rome Total War..

Only thing I see now is World in Conflict, but

1) I doubt my current computer can run it.
2) Is it that totally different from CoH?

JPP, my friend - Just Play Portal.

You'll make a new best friend (Weighted Companion Cube) and will be entertained throughout, it's fantastic.

I took a break from gaming for a good 3-4 years as well. I only casual gamed, and even then I didn't put a lot of heart in it.

Then I got a DS, then a Wii, a PS3... a 360 and built a quad core rig...

dived right back in and found I was just as good as I ever was in gaming, but and there's a big one... while I'm good, everyone else has gotten just as good too.

I think I had the most fun when I had the advantage, better game rig combined with a low ping and whatever server I played on was I would be at the top of the game. The "elite" was rare.

Now we're all playing on a fairly level playing field, and while I can still fight my way to the top of the rankings, it's not the same. Sometimes it feels more like those with the good equipment are being ditched for those with the mass amounts of equipment. You ever get that feel like the prediction code is helping out too much almost like an auto-aim at times?

Back in the old q2 days, if you're ping sucked, railing was next to impossible. Take UT3 today and have 100 ping and you can still snipe like you had 20 ping? That's where I find something is definitly up. FEAR probably has the worst instances of this where some guy with 150ping is somehow drop kicking me from 15 ft away.

I find I need a drastic change of games every now and then. I used to be a FPS junkie, but they dont stick with me....and I hate RPGs.
I enjoy Medieval 2 from time to time to change things up, same with silent hunter games.
Navy Field has had me for a long time. Crap graphics, horrible sound, but great gameplay.

seems like you're just burned out on gaming. it can only do so much for you.

i go through phases like this myself.

Halo 3 has pulled me out of the slump........i play games mostly for competetive purposes so maybe that's why Halo has itched my scratch.

i've also been playing a bit of the ut3 demo but in all honesty it doesn't have the balls that halo 3 has.

Halo 3 has pulled me out of the slump........i play games mostly for competetive purposes so maybe that's why Halo has itched my scratch.

i've also been playing a bit of the ut3 demo but in all honesty it doesn't have the balls that halo 3 has.

It's a demo, and a beta demo at that. Just wait til the finished product... ;)

OP, how do you feel about RPGs?

While I still wait for the day when the story of a game surpasses PlaneScape:Torment, games like KOTOR, KOTOR II, Vampire the Masquerade (spelling?) offer great gaming experiences, atleast I think so.

I've been ripping through Episode 2 and loving it. I'm not as into games as I once was, but there's still a few good ones out there.

gone are the days and nights of Quake World Team Fortress... endless fun

gone are the days and nights of EverQuest that took you forever and left you wanting more...

I especially miss old Quake =/

I think the last game I truly wanted to play endlessly was Dreamfall: The Longest Journey... but that has a very definite ending...

Playing ET:QW, enjoying it throughly, but it does feel like "been there, done that" often.

Just picked up a nice PvP MMO called FURY and already I'm starting to feel like it'll be the most horrible repetitive grind up till the point where I have to break my heart and acknowledge that just like the other games, this one will not have an end-game...

I got seriously hurt by Vanguard... I loved the game, 2nd monk to 50 on my entire server... and then it ripped my heart out and stomped on it like Courtney Love... there were no raids or end-game of any kind, there was absolutely no reason to log in, ever and people that I lvld up with to the high end started dropping like flies and pretty soon I knew no-one, there were no high end guilds, and everyone was fleeing the game like the plague... it was worse than finding out Seven Of Nine was married to a republican senator IRL and I lost sleep cuz of that...

Lately I've tried the Tabula-Rasa beta for months and gave up, they plan on not having an end-game, at-least not for launch... and I'm once bitten twice shy about it as the team behind it is no-where near as talented as Vanguard, and Vanguard couldnt pull off that miracle end-game creating patch...

Logging back in to Fury I go, hope it gets better...

I want to feel that anticipation and fire under my skin that I got from playing Quake or EQ all night with the same group of insane ppl...

Above all I want to find a game I can play all night and have no regrets over it when I'm groggy in the morning and just log back in as I did with the games I loved...

My tastes have fluctuated wildly over the years. I'm not going to start at the atari and work my way up, but I played mostly FPS's on PC and SNES RPG's though the mid 90's. Played the first party titles that came out on the N64, which led me to an adventure gaming spree on that system. Then took a console break until a year or two into the PS2's lifespan, played a lot of CS and RTS in that span.

After that the PS2 led me to FFX, and the SSX games. Then Halo LAN parties on the xbox got me into FPS's on the console, and I've been on an FPS kick ever since, along with all the music and rhythm games that have come about. Along the way I stopped enjoying Zelda style games, and I never could get excited about FF12.

In short, flux happens.

OP, how do you feel about RPGs?

While I still wait for the day when the story of a game surpasses PlaneScape:Torment, games like KOTOR, KOTOR II, Vampire the Masquerade (spelling?) offer great gaming experiences, atleast I think so.

They're ok, but nothing as been a good RPG rather MMORPG like WoW.

I just can't get into that fantasy world.

I'm going to build a new rig next month or so, so I'll see then.

I've been gaming I would say since before windows went DOS and we used those big floppys.

I'm not talking modern floppys, I'm talking those 8 inchers or so.

:p

I agree with all of you, coming from gaming in 10+ years.

The fact is, that not many good games are released. My prime gaming period was between 1995-2004. In this time all the major classics were released, just to mention a few:
StarCraft + BroodWar
Doom 1 2
Quake 1 2 3
Unreal Series
Command & Conquer and RA
WarCraft 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Half Life (me being those who played CounterStrike until Beta 5)
and so on and so forth.

Take a look on these charts and see how old the top rating games are:
http://pc.ign.com/index/reviews.htm...ribute=article.overall_rating&sort.order=desc
http://pc.ign.com/index/reviews.htm...ribute=article.overall_rating&sort.order=desc

Back