Eight of Amazon’s Top 10 Best Selling Processors Are AMD CPUs

I just built my nephew his new machine using a 3600X. I didn't benchmark it or anything but I have heard jack shit from him since he took it home so I am sure he is enjoying it. First time I have built a AMD box in many years but he was on a budget and I felt the 3600X was the best bang for his buck.

Had to share, Intel is apparently not even in Amazon's top 10 at this point in time (btw I type this on my shiney new 2700X build (y)).

Top 10 1-5-19.jpg

yeah, allllll the way down to #15.... after an AMD motherboard somehow shows up in the list...

upload_2020-1-5_12-49-21.png

Reactions: mikeo
like this
"Understanding How Amazon Best Sellers Rank Works
Also known as ‘sales rank’, Amazon ranks products on an hourly basis according to how much time has elapsed since one was last sold. So if an item has just been sold, it’ll have a pretty high ranking, as opposed to something that’s been languishing for that whole hour."

https://www.repricerexpress.com/a-guide-to-amazon-best-sellers-rank/

Bought a 3900x in late November and I love it.

Currently Intel has nothing to offer that interests me, being stuck on 14nm isn't helping them either and even their Cascade Lake X processors are somewhat overpriced and cannot beat AMD's mainstream high end CPU's is rather embarrassing at the price they are asking for.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1950-intel-core-cascade-lake-x-hedt/

Even this review shows the 12 core Intel CPU 10920X cannot keep up with the 3900x in most benchmarks and the 3950x is more than a match against the 10980XE.

There is going to be the typical "AMD skew" to this. You see there are thousands and thousands of Intel based devices you can buy (and actually receive). DIY (BIY - Build It Yourself) always tends to favor AMD.

I mean why buy a retail Intel CPU for $1,000 when you can buy a whole system with same CPU for $1000 (or even less)? Just a thing with Intel and something that doesn't really exist at all for AMD.

There is going to be the typical "AMD skew" to this. You see there are thousands and thousands of Intel based devices you can buy (and actually receive). DIY (BIY - Build It Yourself) always tends to favor AMD.

I mean why buy a retail Intel CPU for $1,000 when you can buy a whole system with same CPU for $1000 (or even less)? Just a thing with Intel and something that doesn't really exist at all for AMD.

It really hasn't been that way for a long time before Ryzen, the last time I would have considered AMD as a good bang for the buck high performance option was (pre-C2D) AM2. I don't think most DIY people have been buying $1000 Intel CPUs but many have been buying $200-$500 Intel CPUs because AMD hasn't had a good option in that range, especially for gaming which is what most people build their own system for. I mean just look at how long it took after Ryzen first launched for motherboard manufacturers to start putting some effort into their AMD boards again.

if you don't have a motherboard yet check out MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (make sure it's the Max, not the un-Max version that now sells for less) ... excellent board

not sure that's a really good recommendation being that it has a weak vrm + no vrm heatsink. doesn't give you much of an upgrade path to or OC ability for newer "many"core processors.

I have a 3600X in my second rig and also I bought a 3700X for my brother (gave him my old computer, which was still very good).

No doubt, people are excited to get lots of cores for an affordable price.

AMD will have to make some progress on laptops though, it is very hard to find decent AMD laptops, Intel dominates there.

did you see the new Ryzen 4000 series laptops they just launched the other day. Baddest mobile chip on the block. Intel ain't dominating sh*t no more. :eek::punch:

Thanks, I hadn't seen that yet. Looks good hopefully it will be widely available.

not sure that's a really good recommendation being that it has a weak vrm + no vrm heatsink. doesn't give you much of an upgrade path to or OC ability for newer "many"core processors.

maybe you have another make/model in mind because reviews laud the beefy VRM section and here's a photo showing the VRM heatsinks on the Tomahawk Max

Image2.png

Thanks for stating the obvious. If the data was reversed, I'm sure you'd be Maybe you would find feedback more to your liking in a Dell forum? You could then sit around talking about all your kick ass OEM Intel boxes instead.
It really hasn't been that way for a long time before Ryzen, the last time I would have considered AMD as a good bang for the buck high performance option was (pre-C2D) AM2. I don't think most DIY people have been buying $1000 Intel CPUs but many have been buying $200-$500 Intel CPUs because AMD hasn't had a good option in that range, especially for gaming which is what most people build their own system for. I mean just look at how long it took after Ryzen first launched for motherboard manufacturers to start putting some effort into their AMD boards again.

Yes. My assumption was when there's something to buy. :)

maybe you have another make/model in mind because reviews laud the beefy VRM section and here's a photo showing the VRM heatsinks on the Tomahawk Max

sorry there is a heatsink on it but still. might want to check out the Ryzen motherboard spreadsheet.

looks ok for 8 core tops. but what i was saying is there's just no upgrade path to any of the newer many-core chips that's all. and as you can see most of the b450's and even x470's aren't even recommended for 3rd gen 8 core.

sorry there is a heatsink on it but still. might want to check out the Ryzen motherboard spreadsheet.

looks ok for 8 core tops. but what i was saying is there's just no upgrade path to any of the newer many-core chips that's all. and as you can see most of the b450's and even x470's aren't even recommended for 3rd gen 8 core.

That list says it's fine for a stock 3950X and even ok for a 3950X overclocked and drawing twice the current as stock provided you have good airflow, it's certainly more than enough for a 2700X with plenty of room to upgrade.

That list says it's fine for a stock 3950X and even ok for a 3950X overclocked and drawing twice the current as stock provided you have good airflow, it's certainly more than enough for a 2700X with plenty of room to upgrade.

yeah but running your parts stock ain't [H]... :cool: got to at least turn off power saving features. but if it's recomending airflow that's because it's getting hot/overheating. not sure if i'd be comfortable with that if i was looking for longevity. but hey, for a little over a $100 guess it aint bad for an 8 core as long as you get the max version.

but hey, for a little over a $100 guess it aint bad for an 8 core as long as you get the max version.

exactly :barefoot:

X570 is a whole 'nother beast all together (as per the list you posted X570 VRM supplies twice the current of the B450).

with the B450 vs X470 vs X570 at least with MSI all the VRM use quality components so the main difference is that a B450 can't handle a Ryzen 12-core CPU but the X570 can but then ... what gamer will be using 12 cores for gaming over the next few years? We're barely entering the 6-cores for gaming plateau and in 2-3 years we'll be on the hunt for that next eye candy coated MoBo and selling what we bought today

exactly :barefoot:

X570 is a whole 'nother beast all together (as per the list you posted X570 VRM supplies twice the current of the B450).

with the B450 vs X470 vs X570 at least with MSI all the VRM use quality components so the main difference is that a B450 can't handle a Ryzen 12-core CPU but the X570 can but then ... what gamer will be using 12 cores for gaming over the next few years? We're barely entering the 6-cores for gaming plateau and in 2-3 years we'll be on the hunt for that next eye candy coated MoBo and selling what we bought today

yeah you're right but i've got to believe w/ the new consoles featuring 8 core zen 2 procs we will start seeing more games that utilize 8 cores a lot sooner than most realize. time flies when you start getting old. :oldman:

what gamer will be using 12 cores for gaming over the next few years? We're barely entering the 6-cores for gaming plateau
Anyone who does more than just playing games. Which is a lot more people these days..

Game, websurf, tunes / Movie,VMs, it's a multitasking world. All on one box. Try it sometime.

Last edited:
Back