EGM has stated in two issues now that PS3 runs UT3 worse than the 360.

Two months back they referenced it in an article but because I don't have the magazine article in front of me I can't give you a page number. They referenced this fact again in October's issue - Page 54.

Apparently Sony is pumping extra money into Epic to ensure their console's UT3 version runs better or as good as the 360 version. Which apparently isn't the case at the current time.

So much for the almightly cell processor eh?

Flame bait post, wait until the game is released. And no one ever stated that cell would make "porting" easy or effective.

Does it even matter? If it weren't for PC gaming market being so poor it would be PC exclusive like it should be, UT is a PC series and it always will be.

I don't have a PC capable of running it, but I know I won't buy it for a console either.

It's funny seeing "/thread" so many times and yet the thread is 3 pages long. :p

UT3 on PC is inherently going to make both the PS3 and 360 versions look "like crap". The controls will certainly be better (for most humans???) than on 360 (I have no idea if the PS3 version will support mouse/KB).

Enjoy your flame war for who will claim 2nd place.:D

as well as all the extra levels due to DVD limits (and thats EPIC saying that)

1) Disk format has nothing to do with stability, performance, or game length
2) Mark Rein's statement was taken out of context and ps3 fanboys ran with it. He even issued a restatement on the issue, but fanboys conveniently ignored it. Mark Rein said DVD might be a issue on the next unreal game since ut2004 was basically ut2003 with a bunch of mods/maps. He said with all of the extra user created content he could easily fill a BD disk. His comment was taken out of context, he wasn't even referring to disk size in any capacity, he was talking about how the UT community is always making new content.

The reason that Sony has sent programmers to Epic to help them with UT3 for the PS3 is because the Unreal engine was optimized for use with 360/PC architecture - their team was not was versed in how to take advantage of the way the PS3 architecture works, it's not the sign of a lesser system - it's simply a different programming architecture that Epic has struggled with a bit.

edit: same problem with UE3 based games as well such as Rainbow Six Vegas, Graw2, Stranglehold and as you can see the devs are forced to delay them past their 360 counterparts just to get them up and running on par.

I've gotta say that I consistently hear of framerate problems on PS3 games, whereas I rarely or never hear of similar problems on the 360.

I don't own either console, so I don't really care one way or the other.

heh, the 360 almost chokes to death on the splash screen let alone a game like oblivion or bioshock. the 360 can not have a solid framerate in any decent looking game, it will drop frames, alot of frames.

heh, the 360 almost chokes to death on the splash screen let alone a game like oblivion or bioshock. the 360 can not have a solid framerate in any decent looking game, it will drop frames, alot of frames.

Hi flamebait. Call of Duty 4 would like to disagree with you.

This same argument comes up every time. When new consoles come out, they top PCs in performance and other areas for a while. Then PC hardware and software continue to advance while the consoles continue to stay the same. The scale tips in favor of PC gaming once again, until the next wave of consoles comes out. Repeat ad infinitum.

I haven't played many 360 games, but I've played a few and I haven't seen anything but a solid framerate.

I admit I'm not well-informed. I was merely relating my experience.

Can you please point me to some professional reviews, preferably of various games, that speak about framerate issues in 360 games? I can easily find many PS3 reviews that bemoan the framerate.

ridiculous untruth. Bioshock couldn't be smoother. If oblivion is choppy there is a known fix. You have to defrag your 360 hard drive by holding a button at startup and the ALL choppiness goes away.

The answers are a google search away.

I've got a 360 and played quite a few games. Can't think of a single one with choppy frames. Rather it's the reverse. A computer hiccups and chops up far more than the 360.

ridiculous untruth. Bioshock couldn't be smoother. If oblivion is choppy there is a known fix. You have to defrag your 360 hard drive by holding a button at startup and the ALL choppiness goes away.

The answers are a google search away.

I've got a 360 and played quite a few games. Can't think of a single one with choppy frames. Rather it's the reverse. A computer hiccups and chops up far more than the 360.

This thread is getting off topic but bioshock 3/4's way in becomes very choppy in some area's and my 360 is only about 2 months old and well ventilated and their's also been a thread started here a week or so back stating people experiencing choppiness and lock ups on bioshock. And I have owned both versions of Oblivion and on the PS3 version runs substantially better than the 360 version and has even been stated by the developers.

This thread is getting off topic but bioshock 3/4's way in becomes very choppy in some area's and my 360 is only about 2 months old and well ventilated and their's also been a thread started here a week or so back stating people experiencing choppiness and lock ups on bioshock. And I have owned both versions of Oblivion and on the PS3 version runs substantially better than the 360 version and has even been stated by the developers.
Oblivion isn't a fair comparison because Oblivion on the PS3 had an extra *year* of development time.

I'd like to see some professional reviews that comment on the framerate issue in Bioshock. Links please?

Oblivion isn't a fair comparison because Oblivion on the PS3 had an extra *year* of development time.

I'd like to see some professional reviews that comment on the framerate issue in Bioshock. Links please?

So why shouldnt we believe that the PS3 version will run better now that they are basically buying Epic dev time to soley optimize the engine for the PS3?

I have little doubts the PS3 version will be at least as good running as the 360s version whenever they actually get it.

Don't need a review, the framrate unlock option is there for a reason

So why shouldnt we believe that the PS3 version will run better now that they are basically buying Epic dev time to soley optimize the engine for the PS3?

I have little doubts the PS3 version will be at least as good running as the 360s version whenever they actually get it.
Because maybe they need the extra dev time to get it running acceptably?

I'm not looking for hypothesis or conjecture, I'm looking for actual evidence of 360 slowdown/framerate issues similar to the evidence I've seen of PS3 framerate/slowdown issues. That's what was claimed, and that's all I'm curious about.

Because maybe they need the extra dev time to get it running acceptably?

I'm not looking for hypothesis or conjecture, I'm looking for actual evidence of 360 slowdown/framerate issues similar to the evidence I've seen of PS3 framerate/slowdown issues. That's what was claimed, and that's all I'm curious about.

The 360 has been out a year longer than Ps3. Pretty sure this time next year we won't be worried about choppiness on the Ps3 whatsoever.

I really think I'll get a ps3 for UT 3. It looks amazing and being able to play with PC players is a huge bonus. I'm in the market for a new PC, but may hold off if i decide to get one of those expensive consoles.

That bioshock thing is a bug on certain 360s. It's smooth as creamery butter on most people's 360s. (Check the bioshock thread)

Oblivion on the PS3 had a considerable extra chunk of development time over the 360 version.

ps3 and pc users will be able to play against each other, 360 will not however.

Reason enough not to own a 360 right there, screw Microsoft's "X-box only" mentality. Hopefully I'll never have to pay for another Microsoft product for as long as I live.

Not that Sony has been all that great a company as far as treating us "consumers". I haven't bought any Sony products either since they made it a practice to illegally infect customers PCs with rootkits.

Too bad the Wii is so underpowered graphics wise, at least, compared to PCs and other current gen consoles.

Sony really needs to do something to fix their company image w/consumers after all the screw-ups over the last year or two. The owe us a BIG apology, something meaningful. Microsoft, on the otherhand, is simply beyond redemption, they're completely gone to the dark side of unethical business practices. DOJ was a bunch of pussies when it game to slapping down Microsoft in those so-called lawsuits.

I used to be a console gaming FIEND, but not now, not now. Tired of companies being driven purely by greed, someday "customer service priority #1" will be back in style along with quality & value instead of profit & greed.

I've gotta say that I consistently hear of framerate problems on PS3 games, whereas I rarely or never hear of similar problems on the 360.

This is why I own my PS3 solely for games that are developed just for it, for the ground up just for PS3.

Those games, of which I own 4, are excellent, with great graphics, no frame rate issues, and enjoyable gameplay, and really show what the system is capable of. I got a 360 just for the multiplatform games, since yea, the 360 does those the best.

I upgraded the pc for multiplatform games, i used the 360 and ps3 for exclusives only, Ive never had a problem with ut3 though, runs flawlessly

Reason enough not to own a 360 right there, screw Microsoft's "X-box only" mentality. Hopefully I'll never have to pay for another Microsoft product for as long as I live.

Not that Sony has been all that great a company as far as treating us "consumers". I haven't bought any Sony products either since they made it a practice to illegally infect customers PCs with rootkits.

Too bad the Wii is so underpowered graphics wise, at least, compared to PCs and other current gen consoles.

Sony really needs to do something to fix their company image w/consumers after all the screw-ups over the last year or two. The owe us a BIG apology, something meaningful. Microsoft, on the otherhand, is simply beyond redemption, they're completely gone to the dark side of unethical business practices. DOJ was a bunch of pussies when it game to slapping down Microsoft in those so-called lawsuits.

I used to be a console gaming FIEND, but not now, not now. Tired of companies being driven purely by greed, someday "customer service priority #1" will be back in style along with quality & value instead of profit & greed.

Way to revive a dead thread...

Reason enough not to own a 360 right there, screw Microsoft's "X-box only" mentality.

uh, i thought that the ps3 couldnt connect to pc-games, but i might be wrong

and to be honest, that for me would be an argument not to get the ps3 version. I have no problem playing some shooters on a console (hell i played the original ut on the dreamcast to death), but pitting people playing a console versus people behind a pc will only end in tears

uh, i thought that the ps3 couldnt connect to pc-games, but i might be wrong

Yup, you're correct.
MarkRein[Epic]: There will not be cross platform play at launch
MarkRein[Epic]: Allow me to elaborate on this one…
* MarkRein[Epic] is getting a can of soda
MarkRein[Epic]: The biggest challenge in doing cross platform play is syncronizing the builds such that the build on the PC is 100% compatible with the build on the PS3. Unfortunately (or fortunately) when you games on console you have a lengthy certification process to go through each time you release anything new… We looked at how this would impact our ability to respond quickly to things happening at internet speed on the PC side of the equation and realized that would not be in the best interests of our very loyal PC user base because we would constantly be holding on to updates to wait until they passed cert on the console platform
MarkRein[Epic] Our PC fanbase is of ultimate importance to us.They are our bread and butter.We can’t let them down or compromise their experience in any way to accomodate cross platform play.
MarkRein[Epic]: This doesn’t completely rule out adding this feature at some point in the future after the game has settled down and we’ve been through a few

Thats from an interview with Mark.

I upgraded the pc for multiplatform games, i used the 360 and ps3 for exclusives only, Ive never had a problem with ut3 though, runs flawlessly

Well, yea, I got PC ---> 360 ---> PS3 in terms of getting a game when it's on all three systems, unless it's something like Assassin's Creed that will be better with a controller on the 360, in that case I just skip the PC version.

But FPS's and RTS's and all, PC first, definitely ;)

I own both and can honestly say that on the 3 cross-platform games that I have tried for both via rentals..all ran and looked a little worse on PS3 (Madden 08, NFS prostreet, Assasins Creed) but of course that could be more due to EA/Ubisoft than anything else..

What does the DOJ have to do with Xbox Live? How is Xbox Live unethical? Any company can develope games for the 360. They chose to go with a closed system that uses a different type of multiplayer setup. The closed system is not the be all end all of systems. It has its advantages and disadvantages. It's a console, not a PC. You could say something about the RRoD maybe but Microsoft took a big hit in extending the warranty of the system also.

Same with Sony, how did Sony wrong the customer? By making the PS3 too expensive? I think many people may agree that Sony made some bad decisions, but those caused their system to not sell well, which is a consumer reaction.

If you want to bitch about Microsoft Windows and the surrounding lawsuits, fine, go do that in the Operating System forum. If you want to bitch about Sony's screwed up attempts at DRM and how the customer got screwed there, go do that in the appropriate forum. Don't come in here though and say that either company is screwing the customer here. Neither company has said that their console does something it doesn't do and neither company is strongarming developers to screw the consumer with locked in games. Developers can make games for any of the consoles and unless they are a first party developer, they are not locked into any one of them.

All companies are motivated by the need to make a profit. I don't know what hippie commune you are living it, but in the real world, shit doesn't get made unless someone thinks they can make money off of it.

Back