EFF Told to “Shut the Hell Up” About SOPA

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have to be stupid or have a pretty big set of balls to tell the Electronic Frontier Foundation to "shut the hell up." :eek:

Isn’t it time for those at the EFF and others who yell ‘SOPA’ each time the movie industry takes legal action against online pirates to shut the hell up? What is abusive is the way online piracy (for profit) is allowed to flourish, made sacrosanct by tech apologists.

Basically the movie industry wants the power to take down a website without asking someone to do it first. If they're allowed to do this, its going to get ugly.

The wheels of justice do turn, but not as quickly as some of these people want.

I like how the "filmmakers" complaining are people who have directed nothing worth pirating :p

Basically the movie industry wants the power to take down a website without asking someone to do it first. If they're allowed to do this, its going to get ugly.

Lawyers are frothing at the mouth in that case...

The music industry and some parts of the gaming industry figured out how to make money hand over fist via the internet (Steam, anyone)?

These loudmouthed dinosaurs are complaining about the asteroid after it hit... When they already should have seen it coming.

You can't carve an old business model into stone via legislation. It's dead. Either move on, or go extinct.

No. What is abusive is the way content providers feel the need to tier content releases to milk the world market for all it's worth instead of releases around the world simultaneously. This is the number 1 reason people pirate anything... availability.

I like how the "filmmakers" complaining are people who have directed nothing worth pirating :p

This!!! I don't remember the last time I downloaded a movie. They suck worse than the old shit on Netflix, so I just watch Netflix or Amazon Prime. I always find something to serve the need for a movie.

Good movies are "so yesterday" :rolleyes:

The EFF isn't pro-piracy, it's anti-blanket power. Why exactly should Hollywood have the power to do this? I've had my youtube videos used in network TV before. I'm sure if I complained they would say, "fair use" but if I did the same they would just block access to my site. Would the layperson also get power to block Hollywood off from the rest of the internet? No way.

We have systems to deal with this. They're a little slow, but they tend to be fair (mostly). The EFF is defending that.

Hollywood is full of cutesy little people with cutesy little brains and not-so-cutesy little ideas about why THEY matter more than anyone else.

Why should THEY be made arbiter of what is and is not acceptable on the internet?

If Jim Carrey or Jenny McCarthy had their way, we'd be banning sites about immunizations.

If Tom Cruise had his way, Project Clambake would disappear from the net.

I'm sure if Josh Trank or 20th Century Fox had their way right now, RottenTomatoes.com and a bunch of newspaper reviews would go *POOF* right now.

As of right now, piracy of music and movies is ALREADY a crime. There are already penalties in place. And there are ALREADY legal avenues to pursue when piracy is proven.

They're arguing that it's HHHHHHARRRRRRRD. And expensive.

So they want to pass the enforcement buck on to someone else and make them do it for them for free. Because they DESERVE it. And their poor grasp of the Internet medium tells them such a thing as removing systems, and data from the internet on their say-so is (or should be) a Simple Thing.

Fuck them. Fuck them in their silly little multi-million-dollar, plastic surgeried-to-death, self-entitled asses.

Hollywood is full of cutesy little people with cutesy little brains and not-so-cutesy little ideas about why THEY matter more than anyone else.

“For instance, in this recent missive, EFFer Mitch Stoltz uses the acronym SOPA seven times in the first four paragraphs, which might lead the reader to think that the subject of the article has something to do with SOPA. Of course, it has nothing to do with SOPA,” Newhoff writes.

“They say SOPA, and hope the peasants cringe,” the filmmaker adds. “Thus, the EFF invests tremendous energy in this strategy, breathlessly warning us about the inevitable doom that will surely follow if, heaven-forbid, the rule of law might apply to trade across our precious tubes.”

Why should THEY be made arbiter of what is and is not acceptable on the internet?

If Jim Carrey or Jenny McCarthy had their way, we'd be banning sites about immunizations.

If Tom Cruise had his way, Project Clambake would disappear from the net.

I'm sure if Josh Trank or 20th Century Fox had their way right now, RottenTomatoes.com and a bunch of newspaper reviews would go *POOF* right now.

As of right now, piracy of music and movies is ALREADY a crime. There are already penalties in place. And there are ALREADY legal avenues to pursue when piracy is proven.

They're arguing that it's HHHHHHARRRRRRRD. And expensive.

So they want to pass the enforcement buck on to someone else and make them do it for them for free. Because they DESERVE it. And their poor grasp of the Internet medium tells them such a thing as removing systems, and data from the internet on their say-so is (or should be) a Simple Thing.

Fuck them. Fuck them in their silly little multi-million-dollar, plastic surgeried-to-death, self-entitled asses.

Yep... Even included a quote from the article.

But you know what?!? Even though the music and movie industry has been claiming doom and gloom since cassette tapes and video tape machines "they'll kill the industry because pirates!" And yet, many years later, both industries are alive and well. Movies are getting made (and making record profits). Music is still being made (and making record profits).

So yeah, fuck them in their silly little multi-million-dolar, plastic, surgeried-to-death, self-entitled asses. ;):D

Back