EFF Slams Apple Patent as Traitorware

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow. I’m not judging or anything but when the people at EFF (Electronic Frontier Freedom) actually make up a whole new word (traitorware) just for you….something you are doing is seriously wrong. :eek:

When you personally buy a new technological toy, then it's yours to do with as you please. Right? Wrong! What if your new device were activated on the sly and used against you? That's a step beyond spyware. In fact, the EFF coined a new term, "traitorware."

/me grabs some pizza and soda and kicks back in a nice comfortable chair for the show... this could turn into something like "Spartacus"... at least that's the hope :D

I haven't read the actual patent but i don't see an issue with this. What is the difference between this and fingerprint scanning on laptops? Your computer can now tell it is or is not your face or heartbeat signature... im shaking in my insecurity!

I haven't read the actual patent but i don't see an issue with this. What is the difference between this and fingerprint scanning on laptops? Your computer can now tell it is or is not your face or heartbeat signature... im shaking in my insecurity!

I believe the crux of their issue is the "who" of who is doing the checking.
In your scenario, it's just you and your laptop.
This would be akin to Dell connecting to your laptop without your knowledge and deciding that, since you wiped out the hard drive and installed the OS from scratch, they (Dell) will shut down the laptop and render it unusable by you.

Better add the Black Box in my car to that traitorware list, after all, the cops can after the fact, look and see if I was speeding and fine me accordingly in some places.

Apple applies for patent for on something that:
1) enhances user security of a device
2) can detect when someone, who shouldn't, is using it
3) can report this to:
  • "the responsible party"
  • another designated somebody
  • and/or law enforcement

PSA from the EFF:

Since this is traitorware, we thought you might be concerned... about the security ... of your shit.

hmmm.jpg

// RAMPANT PARANOIA
Or maybe Apple's just making their mobile devices juicier for the enterprise.
// RAMPANT PARANOIA

Hmmm, nope. Definitely Big Brother Apple after your ... shit.

haha.jpg

This would be akin to Dell connecting to your laptop without your knowledge and deciding that, since you wiped out the hard drive and installed the OS from scratch, they (Dell) will shut down the laptop and render it unusable by you.

No, it isn't.

Let me translate the bolded: "I have no reason to even be in this discussion, but here are my practiced and uninformed comments..."

Apple applies for patent for on something that:
1) enhances user security of a device
2) can detect when someone, who shouldn't, is using it
3) can report this to:
  • "the responsible party"
  • another designated somebody
  • and/or law enforcement

PSA from the EFF:

Since this is traitorware, we thought you might be concerned... about the security ... of your shit.

hmmm.jpg

// RAMPANT PARANOIA
Or maybe Apple's just making their mobile devices juicier for the enterprise.
// RAMPANT PARANOIA

Hmmm, nope. Definitely Big Brother Apple after your ... shit.

haha.jpg
I do not share the same faith that you do that Apple will never ever abuse this patent for any reason.

"Abuse" is a pretty expensive activity in an industry built around ease of communication and word-of-mouth. You saw the coverage Apple got over some antenna attenuation, for example.

I don't place blind faith in them, just some common sense.

This would allow Apple to disable jail broken devices because only unauthorized users would do such a thing.

Ya, I trust apple. They are never High and Mighty, they always have my best interests in mind.

Apple never makes decisions for me about things like what kind of Apps or Content I can have on my apple device.

This isnt about enhanced security. I doubt anyone is unhappy about better security. This is about how much control can and should the manufacturer of a piece of technology I just purchased be able to exercise after accepting my money.

Apple has never done anything like, oh say wiped my Ipod touch clean (without notice) because I plugged it into my computer after doing a full OS reinstall.

Using this new patent, Apple can (and I laugh in your face if you dont think they will) remotely monitor not just what your are doing but who your are. Apple then will have the ability to decide to allow you to continue with your custom Apps on your Jail-Broken phone, or shut you down and never let you use your phone again.

Every update from apple disables jail-breaks, how is this different then Microsoft wiping out your linux partition each time automatic updates applies a patch?

If I pay for a piece of hardware I am entitled to use it as I see fit. Install the applications I want and not have to worry about a 3rd party following behind me, accessing my device with out my permission and making changes as that party sees fit. Though of course I expect Apple would bury something in the Eula stating that in order to use I-os you give apple computer unconditional access to any and all hardware your running it on.

Lets all just remember to separate the disagreement with an opinion or idea from our respect for each others as part of a diverse and strong [H] community. I do look forward to seeing well thought out arguments either in agreement or opposition to my thoughts.

Let me translate the bolded: "I have no reason to even be in this discussion, but here are my practiced and uninformed comments..."

And i'm sure every user here pitching in on this discussion read the full 5 page patent and if so more power to them but my original point still stands. and here is what i read off the patent note I did not read the entire thing.

This is generally directed to identifying unauthorized users of an electronic device. In some embodiments, an unauthorized user of the electronic device can be detected by identifying particular activities that may indicate suspicious behavior. In some embodiments, an unauthorized user can be detected by comparing the identity of the current user to the identity of the owner of the electronic device. When an unauthorized user is detected, various safety measures can be taken. For example, information related to the identity of the unauthorized user, the unauthorized user's operation of the electronic device, or the current location of the electronic device can be gathered. As another example, functions of the electronic device can be restricted. In some embodiments, the owner of the electronic device can be notified of the unauthorized user by sending an alert notification through any suitable medium, such as, for example, a voice mail, e-mail, or text message.

And after skimming through the rest my original point still stands... This is a system that has been implemented far and wide by many companies already. The only difference here is that apple is adding an additional layer of security by adding recognition of your face, voice or heartbeat. Now for an example.. you try to log in to your online banking account, if you try a wrong password a few times the site locks you out and an email gets sent you notifying you of the multiple attempts of log ins that have failed. Its the same damn thing that apple just patented in face/voice/heartbeat form.

I dont see what an organization like the EFF is going nuts for. Do they think apple is making a giant database of their faces for future world domination because I think Facebook has that covered.:confused::confused:

I believe the crux of their issue is the "who" of who is doing the checking.
In your scenario, it's just you and your laptop.

The DEVICE is doing the checking and the DEVICE is locking you out if it finds you to be an "unauthorized user" and if you CHOOSE you can wipe your device. IMO when these features get released they are probably going to be thrown in to the MobileMe package.

There would be no point in patenting this if all of your shit was just being uploaded to a cloud where some Apple employees sift through it and make sure everything is in order. Somehow that is the impression people are getting and it makes makes no damn sense.

I don't trust Apple to do anything in my interest. Then again, I don't own a single Apple product, and only know 1 person who does...

The police could leave some lying on tables in places of business. If someone takes it, the device can be tracked even when "turned off" ala bait cars. It'll save the police $$$ using phones instead of cars.

Plus they're apple products, you can't take out a battery!

Hmm, looking back, I have misread the article in my foggy Apple-distaste mindset. Ignore above.

Woah, direct link!

I don't trust Apple to do anything in my interest. Then again, I don't own a single Apple product, and only know 1 person who does...

Yeah, that's the thing. I can never trust Apple to always act in my best interests.

Then I guess you had no reason to post here or even concern yourself with this story. Oh, wait...that'd only make too much sense, so of course you had to add nothing to the conversation just so you can say, "me too".

Woah, direct link!

Yeah, that's the thing. I can never trust Apple to always act in my best interests.

You should never trust anyone other than yourself to act in *your* best interests. This goes for any company out there, including Apple. But I guess that makes this a non issue in every way, doesn't it?

This is sensationalism at it's worst...a non story. The fact that Google can read all of your emails...meh, who cares! Apple may disable my device!!!! OMG!!!!

You should never trust anyone other than yourself to act in *your* best interests. This goes for any company out there, including Apple. But I guess that makes this a non issue in every way, doesn't it?

This is sensationalism at it's worst...a non story. The fact that Google can read all of your emails...meh, who cares! Apple may disable my device!!!! OMG!!!!

I don't trust google either. I only give them my search data, which is too much as is. But not email. In 10 years, things may change with apple. Microsoft used to be the big hairy ugly mean monster. For 10 or more years. But lately they have been laying low. They haven't done much to push what people don't want. Right now, this year I don't think Microsoft is going to try to pull a fast one on us (The things can change quickly for a next year).

I might do my share of bashing Microsoft, but right now, they aren't up to messing around just yet. Apple on the other hand is out on the prowl.

Will Apple make this feature optional? If so, If not, I have a problem with it. Sometimes I'll leave my wife my phone because it has some apps she likes to use. I don't really need it at work, so it's convenient. Security enhancements and features are fine. But if the choice is out of my hands, then I take issue with it.

Wow. I don't buy apple products because I feel they are over priced for what they are, but to say you only know 1 person with an apple product? I have to call BS on that one. I know people who dont have internet and have ipods. I am not an apple supporter, and strongly try to turn people away from macbooks when they ask my recommendation (go for the t410s instead), but the fact is that most of the people I know have apple devices.

We did a survey in one of my econ classes regarding mp3 player brands. I was the only one in the class to not have an apple branded unit. Granted, this is a college town, but even in my hometown half the people there have an ipod or iphone.

Better add the Black Box in my car to that traitorware list, after all, the cops can after the fact, look and see if I was speeding and fine me accordingly in some places.

Some rental car companies already do - they "fine" you for speeding

Then I guess you had no reason to post here or even concern yourself with this story. Oh, wait...that'd only make too much sense, so of course you had to add nothing to the conversation just so you can say, "me too".

It goes towards my reasoning for not owning one. I don't like the company, I think their products are over priced, and some of their fans are down right scary. Since when do I have to be an outraged owner to give my .02?

Wow. I don't buy apple products because I feel they are over priced for what they are, but to say you only know 1 person with an apple product? I have to call BS on that one. I know people who dont have internet and have ipods. I am not an apple supporter, and strongly try to turn people away from macbooks when they ask my recommendation (go for the t410s instead), but the fact is that most of the people I know have apple devices.

We did a survey in one of my econ classes regarding mp3 player brands. I was the only one in the class to not have an apple branded unit. Granted, this is a college town, but even in my hometown half the people there have an ipod or iphone.

My father-in-law has an iPod. The rest of my friends and family us a combination of Zunes, Blackberry/Android phones, and Windows/Linux computers. I used to know people with iPhones who all went to Android to get away from AT&T.

Back