EFF Concerned About T-Mobile's New Unlimited Data Plan

HardOCP News

[H] News
It sure seems like everyone is running afoul of the Electronic Freedom Foundation lately. This time around it is T-Mobile's new unlimited plan that is drawing the ire of the folks at the EFF.

Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) senior staff technologist Jeremy Gillula told the Daily Dot the organization is still gathering information regarding T-Mobile's unlimited data plan. But he noted, "From what we've read thus far it seems like T-Mobile's new plan to charge its customers extra to not throttle video runs directly afoul of the principle of net neutrality."

I'm sure it didn't help when the CEO basically told the EFF to fuck off when they outed T-mobile for their video throttling before.

I switched to T-Mo to get away from this kind of BS from Verizon. I don't have many options left for a wireless carrier that I don't utterly loathe due to these kinds of data shenanigans.

Google Fi is probably the next step but it's just using T-Mobile and Sprint networks so they're still getting paid. Even then, it's more restrictive/costly on data than my plan on T-mobile.

So they aren't throttling speeds, and EFF is pissed? Says it violates net neutrality? Sounds like the EFF is in the pockets of some competitors...

Throttling data is much more afoul of net neutrality than not throttling it...

So they aren't throttling speeds, and EFF is pissed? Says it violates net neutrality? Sounds like the EFF is in the pockets of some competitors...

They ARE throttling, and they're planning on charging extra to NOT throttle you.

They ARE throttling, and they're planning on charging extra to NOT throttle you.

Devil is always in the details... did you forget to mention throttling you speak of is video streaming only?

They are throttling 2 things... those over 26GB of usage and Video streaming...

Maybe I don't quite get net neutrality. Sounds like TMo is throttling ALL streaming, which seems pretty neutral to me. Tmo is offering service level A for price A and service level B for price B. I don't see anything wrong with that.

While I can see the point that throttling only video could be (edit IS, see edit below) considered against net neutrality I think you have to be somewhat a realist. Video streaming is probably by far the largest hog of their capacity. Limiting the whole segment seems reasonable as long as its well documented and applies to all major streaming services. The situation we really need to fight against is if certain services like say youtube pays tmo to throttle everyone else except youtube etc. Or if TMo charges access to each streaming site individually.

The 26GB throttling... sounds fair to me. Though I do think they should just offer a 26GB deal instead of an "unlimited" deal. Because while 26GB is huge, last I checked the dictionary didn't define "unlimited" as 26GB. I personally don't see the practical difference in the two except for the 3%. If >26GB is really only 3% as TMo says then it shouldn't matter what they call it, 26GB is a lot of data.

EDIT: from the article... letter of the rule from FCC, any throttling could be considered an offence... depending what network management means... I still think this is too limiting... This could just encourage more data caps or slower speeds or higher prices for normal users.

The Open Internet rules from the FCC specifically prohibit companies from blocking, throttling, and engaging in paid prioritization.

“A person engaged in the provision of broadband internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not impair or degrade lawful internet traffic on the basis of internet content, application, or service, or use of a non-harmful device, subject to reasonable network management,”

Last edited:

They are selling "Unlimited Data" and then charging $25 to view any videos over 480P quality. So they are throttling video quality in an attempt to get an extra $25 out of people to view videos that don't look like shit.

Last edited:
They are selling "Unlimited Data" and then charging $25 to view any videos over 480P quality. So they are throttling video quality in an attempt to get an extra $25 out of people to video videos that don't look like shit.

Does nobody remember when they started doing the whole "videos don't count toward your data"?

They said the speed would be limited for that, and that is exactly what they are doing.

I really don't see a problem with it.

They are doing exactly what they said they were going to do.

Those that have gotten their panties in a wad can feel free to not use T-Mobile as their provider.

Does nobody remember when they started doing the whole "videos don't count toward your data"?

They said the speed would be limited for that, and that is exactly what they are doing.

I really don't see a problem with it.

They are doing exactly what they said they were going to do.

Those that have gotten their panties in a wad can feel free to not use T-Mobile as their provider.
The problem is the wording "unlimited"
Having worked in the industry, Tmobile and ATT, I can tell you that people dont read the fine print. 90% of customers are down right stupid, and uneducated. They go by what the sales rep tells them, and then when there is an issue they come screaming in saying its the reps fault and not theirs. Now mind you no one makes them sign anything, they should be the ones doing their research but they dont.

So this so called "unlimited" is play on words as many have stated. They say its unlimited yet its only for certain content and quality. Tmobile likes to pretend there are no ******* on top of each sentence, which refers you to a disclaimer at the bottom, but they have many of them.

Its misleading, because society is ignorant and will fall for it.

The biggest issue is the precedent Tmo is trying to establish, and thats what all these games are played for. They are trying to get people and the law to get used to this idea of "unlimited but limited" concept so that they can eventually rape net neutrality by saying "but guuuyysss, it's been like this like for-evar!" Why cant they just not limit anything? Just give you your 26GB or whatever and let you decide how fast you want to use it up? They dont want this precedent being set because it puts control in the hands of the users, which is a big no no and will never allow you to monopolize and distort how services are managed.

Remember when providers tried to say that Netflix was violating net neutrality by throttling streams on mobile devices? Well thats because they wanted you to blow through your data cap streaming videos over mobile at 1080p on a 4" screen. What they're doing now is the reverse.

What needs to happen here is the discontinued use of this bullshit "unlimited" term. It's never been unlimited. Stop with the horseshit marketing terms that are deceptive as hell and just sell people data packages. Fucking "unlimited up to 5GB, then limited" the fuck is that? Sell people 50GB, or 100GB, or whatever your network can tolerate. Chances are most people wont use it anyway.

Why cant they just not limit anything? Just give you your 26GB or whatever and let you decide how fast you want to use it up?
You might be on to something there. Everyone who isn't a Tmobile customer should be asking why they can't simply put a toggle in the user settings to turn this crap off and allow their customers to use up their data as fast as they want

...meanwhile Tmobile customers can go in to their settings and turn this crap off and use up their data as fast as they want to

While the term is slightly abused... For the majority of American households...it is unlimited.

The average U.S citizen eats up 1.8gb PER MONTH on cell data, if you add Wi-Fi data on top of what they use then it's something like 7-10gigs a month on their cellphones.

You'd have to have a wild month to eat up 26 gigs of data that didn't involve watching videos.

This group always assumes the population goes as [H]ard as we do here.

Still not unlimited though.

Oh, the Tethering is the worst change for me. Throttled at 2G ? WTF !!!

And it's also more expensive for a single line user.

This new plan does nothing for me over my current $65/mo 6GB plan. More money, less features. For me.

Really. If TMobile constantly keeps changing shit like this, it is possible I may become an un-customer of the Un-Carrier.

The problem is the wording "unlimited"
Having worked in the industry, Tmobile and ATT, I can tell you that people dont read the fine print. 90% of customers are down right stupid, and uneducated. They go by what the sales rep tells them, and then when there is an issue they come screaming in saying its the reps fault and not theirs. Now mind you no one makes them sign anything, they should be the ones doing their research but they dont.

So this so called "unlimited" is play on words as many have stated. They say its unlimited yet its only for certain content and quality. Tmobile likes to pretend there are no ******* on top of each sentence, which refers you to a disclaimer at the bottom, but they have many of them.

Its misleading, because society is ignorant and will fall for it.

It's misleading because it's intentionally misleading. No other reason.

There once was a world where you said what you do and do what you said. Now it's all about word play and market manipulation. Especially by advertising.

BTW... generalizing 90% of people as stupid because they don't stand in the store reading the 30 plus pages of legalese that isn't readily, easily available anywhere else ahead of time, before signing, AND contains language stating it can be modified at any time for any reason, only underscores your own level of stupid.

You're correct in that they have a choice not to sign, but there's a glaring breakdown in the spirit of honest sales anymore.

If your industry cell co bros are not trying to intentionally screw the masses, why aren't these documents simplified? Why aren't they static for a binding duration? Why aren't they handed out as pre-reading for customers as they enter your stores? Why try and close these sales as quickly as possible at the sign up stations and rush that nearly forced "convenience" of a phone store tech setting up the customers phone on the customers behalf, agreeing to even more legally binding items without their review, as each customer is whisked through that paperwork to shove them out the door so the sales rep can meet the company's mandated quotas?

Wait until we finally go to metered billing, like Tim Wu originally wanted in the paper that started all the "Net Neutrality" stuff.

Then maybe everyone will be happy.

Except of course the millions and millions of people who won't.

It's misleading because it's intentionally misleading. No other reason.

There once was a world where you said what you do and do what you said. Now it's all about word play and market manipulation. Especially by advertising.

BTW... generalizing 90% of people as stupid because they don't stand in the store reading the 30 plus pages of legalese that isn't readily, easily available anywhere else ahead of time, before signing, AND contains language stating it can be modified at any time for any reason, only underscores your own level of stupid.

You're correct in that they have a choice not to sign, but there's a glaring breakdown in the spirit of honest sales anymore.

If your industry cell co bros are not trying to intentionally screw the masses, why aren't these documents simplified? Why aren't they static for a binding duration? Why aren't they handed out as pre-reading for customers as they enter your stores? Why try and close these sales as quickly as possible at the sign up stations and rush that nearly forced "convenience" of a phone store tech setting up the customers phone on the customers behalf, agreeing to even more legally binding items without their review, as each customer is whisked through that paperwork to shove them out the door so the sales rep can meet the company's mandated quotas?

Are you asking why are these companies trying to make money?

Ummm to make money.

Any more easy questions?

Do car dealers sit you down and read through their contracts line by line? No. Mortgage dealers? No. Rental Agreement companies? No. You know why? Because if you're old enough to sign a legally binding contract, that means you're an adult and it's on *you the individual* to do your own dang homework.

I do set my tenants down and have them read their rental agreements before signing it. You also have to read through the loan docs before you sign and it's a stack of them. You may decide not to read them, but a whole slew of laws dictate that loan officers have to disclose a ton of information in ways consumer goods don't.

Do car dealers sit you down and read through their contracts line by line? No. Mortgage dealers? No. Rental Agreement companies? No. You know why? Because if you're old enough to sign a legally binding contract, that means you're an adult and it's on *you the individual* to do your own dang homework.
I cannot cite a time one of my rental, car or mortgage dealers secondary agent took any portion of my "agree to" duties off to the side and agreed to them on my behalf for my convenience.

I cannot cite a time one of my rental, car or mortgage dealers secondary agent took any portion of my "agree to" duties off to the side and agreed to them on my behalf for my convenience.

Then how about don't let the phone people do it either?

Are you asking why are these companies trying to make money?

Ummm to make money.

Any more easy questions?

Therefore it's totally cool and everyone's happy if the process is intentionally set up in a way to obfuscate important information, mislead customers, take away your rights if signed, and take more of your time out of your life to read through all the legalese in order to give them more control. Deception is very profitable!

When contracts often contain things that are not legally binding, this kind of remark is patented bullshit. Unless you're a lawyer, you are NOT qualified to thoroughly and accurately analyze any kind of legally binding document, period. Every other word in these things is up for interpretation. What might seem completely obvious to one person could be wrong due to a legalese interpretation based on court rulings 20 years ago.

This is crap. Tell me how long it took you to read the latest EULA you agreed to.

A lot of people are bitching about the fine print, however the low quality video is literally in the FIRST LINE of the fine print:

Video typically streams at DVD quality (480p). Tethering at max 2G speeds. Plus taxes and fees. Pricing via bill credits with using AutoPay: prior month’s payment must process successfully for discount next bill cycle. Includes 200 MB domestic roaming. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. See T-Mobile.com/OpenInternet for details on data prioritization.

This shouldn't be hard for users to figure out, T Mobile isn't trying to hide anything, they are trying to make people aware that the videos will look like crap so they buy the $25 upgrade.

A lot of people are bitching about the fine print, however the low quality video is literally in the FIRST LINE of the fine print:

This shouldn't be hard for users to figure out, T Mobile isn't trying to hide anything, they are trying to make people aware that the videos will look like crap so they buy the $25 upgrade.
The legal argument is regarding the idea that you can't limit the bandwidth for certain types of content, regardless as to whether or not it's clearly laid out in the contract. People discussing the interpretability of the contracts are debating a different thing.

When contracts often contain things that are not legally binding, this kind of remark is patented bullshit. Unless you're a lawyer, you are NOT qualified to thoroughly and accurately analyze any kind of legally binding document, period. Every other word in these things is up for interpretation. What might seem completely obvious to one person could be wrong due to a legalese interpretation based on court rulings 20 years ago.

This is crap. Tell me how long it took you to read the latest EULA you agreed to.

It's called a dictionary, dude. Every word ever adopted in the english lexicon is there.

If you have questions, ask, don't sign until they are answered to your satisfaction.

I get that you don't want to be mentally challenged, but not all of us are simpering imbeciles who don't know how to use search engines or interpret basic English language documents. Some of us, when confronted with terms or words we are unfamiliar with, ask for or seek out understanding and withhold our signature (or affirmative assent) until we get the answers we want, especially when it involves money.

Stop being a mindless consumer. Stop being the reason they put the "do not eat" warning on Preparation H. It's not their job to dumb everything down to a sixth grade reading level so "people" can keep up. It's your job to understand things before you agree to them.

If you are on T-Mobile's previous unlimited plans, then this (outside of the high GB throttle) does not apply... My unlimited plan dates back to 2010...

It's called a dictionary, dude. Every word ever adopted in the english lexicon is there.

If you have questions, ask, don't sign until they are answered to your satisfaction.

I get that you don't want to be mentally challenged, but not all of us are simpering imbeciles who don't know how to use search engines or interpret basic English language documents. Some of us, when confronted with terms or words we are unfamiliar with, ask for or seek out understanding and withhold our signature (or affirmative assent) until we get the answers we want, especially when it involves money.

Stop being a mindless consumer. Stop being the reason they put the "do not eat" warning on Preparation H. It's not their job to dumb everything down to a sixth grade reading level so "people" can keep up. It's your job to understand things before you agree to them.

You're a fool and you're completely misrepresenting the problem. It's not a simple matter of dictionary definitions. I don't want to be mentally challenged? Well since that's a euphemism for retarded, you're correct in a certain sense, but you have no idea what my field of study is so you shouldn't throw out insults like that because it just makes you look stupid.

Additionally, you mention asking them for clarification regarding the contract. I believe it was you who said earlier in the thread that people who just take the sales person's word for it are stupid or something along those lines. The reality is, the people helping you sign the contracts don't write the contracts and they can easily give out incorrect information, which they will not be held liable for. Keep patting yourself on the back while looking in the mirror and assuring yourself you're the smartest person in your mother's basement. I'm sure it's true.

Edit:

I'm still curious how long it took you to read the latest EULA you agreed to.

Another edit:

You also completely ignored my point about contracts containing sections which are illegal/not legally binding. How is the dictionary going to help with that? Oh wait, it won't and your ridiculous 'rugged individualism' approach to legal contracts is fucking retarded. That's why people who can afford it have lawyers.

Last edited:
I get that you don't want to be mentally challenged, but not all of us are simpering imbeciles who don't know how to use search engines or interpret basic English language documents.
Just a wild guess here, you're a libertarian?

I'm not sure that limiting streaming to 480P definition is actually the same as throttling bandwidth. Yes, it takes less data than 1080P, but it isn't the same thing as prioritizing other traffic by type or setting a bandwidth limit so that you spend all your time buffering.

But this is what you wind up with with lawyers these days and imprecise IT terminology in legal writings.

Devil is always in the details... did you forget to mention throttling you speak of is video streaming only?

They are throttling 2 things... those over 26GB of usage and Video streaming...

Maybe I don't quite get net neutrality. Sounds like TMo is throttling ALL streaming, which seems pretty neutral to me. Tmo is offering service level A for price A and service level B for price B. I don't see anything wrong with that.

While I can see the point that throttling only video could be (edit IS, see edit below) considered against net neutrality I think you have to be somewhat a realist. Video streaming is probably by far the largest hog of their capacity. Limiting the whole segment seems reasonable as long as its well documented and applies to all major streaming services. The situation we really need to fight against is if certain services like say youtube pays tmo to throttle everyone else except youtube etc. Or if TMo charges access to each streaming site individually.

The 26GB throttling... sounds fair to me. Though I do think they should just offer a 26GB deal instead of an "unlimited" deal. Because while 26GB is huge, last I checked the dictionary didn't define "unlimited" as 26GB. I personally don't see the practical difference in the two except for the 3%. If >26GB is really only 3% as TMo says then it shouldn't matter what they call it, 26GB is a lot of data.

EDIT: from the article... letter of the rule from FCC, any throttling could be considered an offence... depending what network management means... I still think this is too limiting... This could just encourage more data caps or slower speeds or higher prices for normal users.

The Open Internet rules from the FCC specifically prohibit companies from blocking, throttling, and engaging in paid prioritization.

“A person engaged in the provision of broadband internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not impair or degrade lawful internet traffic on the basis of internet content, application, or service, or use of a non-harmful device, subject to reasonable network management,”

You know, legal writings like this almost always come with a list of definitions showing exactly how they are defining a word, like throttle. Would be worth seeing how those definitions impact the interpretation of these rules.

They are selling "Unlimited Data" and then charging $25 to view any videos over 480P quality. So they are throttling video quality in an attempt to get an extra $25 out of people to view videos that don't look like shit.

Ocellaris, don't use your definition of throttling, use the legal definition defined in this law. then see if it applies.

The intent behind net neutrality was to prevent certain classes of applications from having less access to a user's speed than others. In this case T-Mobile is restricting/throttling/reducing the speed of anything that uses video. When it was called Binge On, this upset some but T-Mobile argued that the user had a free toggle and therefore this doesn't violate NN. Well now, the toggle isn't free.

If not the letter of the law (I'm not a lawyer), this definitely violates the spirit of net neutrality. TMO could have simply done unlimited 3G speeds (throttled to 2mbps) for the current price, and unlimited 4G speeds with the $25/line addition. But since 3G is a bad word, just do what hardline does and advertise the speed, IE, unlimited data at 2mbps (fast enough for anything including 480p streaming video), and unlimited high speed data for +$25 (speeds vary depending on area and congestion, typically 5-12mbps*).

*Whatever their metrics show, I'm using the old Verizon data.

Last edited:
I am just surprised that people still believe unlimited means unlimited.

In the electronic age unlimited means we just screwed you..... Sucker

I'm confused, are these new changes to Binge On or their unlimited data plan? AFAIK I get 7GB tethered then unlimited ("unlimited" subject to fair use and could be throttled to managed congestion) phone only data. Binge On gives VUDU credits for each line and limits video to 480p but does not count against data cap including while tethering. What is this $25 charge you guys are talking about? I tried to RTFA but the link doesn't work for me (H says it can't find the story)

EDIT: Ah, nevermind found an article on it. Tmobile One hmm

That's crazy... $25 per line to get higher resolution video.... on a data plan with a fucking cap. Users should be able to get to that 26GB effective cap however they want, if they want to watch HD video all the time and blow through the cap let them. The $25 fee is ridiculous though.

EDIT2: Wow, and this Tmobile One is more expensive (even before $25 fees) than my current unlimited data plan lol. I pay $100 for unlimited everything (7GB tethering per line, allegedly unlimited phone only data) on two lines right now from TMobile. The new plan is $120 for two lines... and has a cap... and would be $170 if I wanted the "right" to get to my cap faster by watching HD videos. And tethering on T Mobile One is limited to 2G speeds "unlimited" or $5 per line for 5GB

WTF TMobile. I had better be grandfathered in or I'm cancelling this shit lol

Last edited:
I'm confused, are these new changes to Binge On or their unlimited data plan? AFAIK I get 7GB tethered then unlimited ("unlimited" subject to fair use and could be throttled to managed congestion) phone only data. Binge On gives VUDU credits for each line and limits video to 480p but does not count against data cap including while tethering. What is this $25 charge you guys are talking about? I tried to RTFA but the link doesn't work for me (H says it can't find the story)

That's crazy... $25 per line to get higher resolution video.... on a data plan with a fucking cap. Users should be able to get to that 26GB effective cap however they want, if they want to watch HD video all the time and blow through the cap let them. The $25 fee is ridiculous though.

EDIT2: Wow, and this Tmobile One is more expensive (even before $25 fees) than my current unlimited data plan lol. I pay $100 for unlimited everything (7GB tethering per line, allegedly unlimited phone only data) on two lines right now from TMobile. The new plan is $120 for two lines... and has a cap... and would be $170 if I wanted the "right" to get to my cap faster by watching HD videos. And tethering on T Mobile One is limited to 2G speeds "unlimited" or $5 per line for 5GB

You're on the same plan as me. $100/mo for two lines, "unlimited" everything, 7GB per line tethering. The new plan DOUBLES the cost.

$70 for first line
$50 for second
$15/ln for 5GB tethering (included tethering is 2G only)
$25/ln for >480p video
$200 total

You ARE grandfathered in. That is an old plan. Don't let go of it whatever you do! If you go into a store, don't let them make ANY changes on the account. If you call into care, do not let them talk you into changing your plan. If you go online, never click on the link to see "what better plans" there are. Let me tell you, you're on the best plan, especially if you use all your data.

Good to know, and yeah they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands lol.
You ARE grandfathered in. That is an old plan. Don't let go of it whatever you do! If you go into a store, don't let them make ANY changes on the account. If you call into care, do not let them talk you into changing your plan. If you go online, never click on the link to see "what better plans" there are. Let me tell you, you're on the best plan, especially if you use all your data.

There really is no "limit" to these unlimited plans. You just become subject to network management at 26GB (formerly 21GB). So if you go over that "cap" and are in a congested area, you'll be de-prioritized. Otherwise you continue to get high speed data.

It's a data plan, with a cap and unlimited 480P streaming from their list of approved sources, like NetFlix for instance. So it isn't just a data cap bandwidth issue because you can stream all the 480P you want.

480P is fine for small mobile devices but if you want to push that to a big TV, you'll want a different solution I think. And that's all this really comes down to. I mean really guys, if you are paying for a service like Netflix or Amazon prime then you can use a computer or laptop or a Chromecast and HD stream on. In fact, a Chromecast shouldn't even hit your phone even if you use the phone to set up the cast because the phone just tells the Chromecast the url to go to to get the stream.

And on the outside change you are using some other source for your video that isn't on T-Mobile's list of approved sources, well your out of luck from the git go cause it's going to count against your data cap no matter what the resolution is.

Am I missing something else?

Seems that some changes have been made.

Cliff notes: $3 a day for HD streaming if you want it. Or $25/mo still. The $25/mo is for more than just HD streaming though: Unlimited High-speed 4G LTE mobile hotspot data; Unlimited HD Day Passes; 2x faster speeds abroad.
Existing T-Mobile Simple Choice customers can keep their plan as long as they want and we won’t raise your rates.

Back