educational deals

natekoz

Limp Gawd
I heard rumors of deals you can get through apple by being a college student. Is ths true and if so do you have to have a full class schedule? I am going to be taking one or two courses in the next few months and i was wondering if anyone out there new a good place to point me to so i can check out apple deals if they have them.

Any college, and recently high school students, can get the student discount on most every apple product. Check out the Apple website and you can find the discounts. Right now you can get a free Ipod Mini with the purchase of a computer.

See my problem is working full time i will only be able to take 1 or two classes at a time tops. Will i still be eligeable for the discounts if i am a part time student?

Do you also know if apple ships to APO's? I am going to be serving in Korea next year and taking some online courses, so i am out of luck i guess if they don't. Thanks.

not sure about shipping to APO's, but as long as you are currently enrolled AND can somehow prove it (either ID card or proof of class registration work best), you can get a discount on almost every apple product (not 3rd party products that apple sells though).

Not very relevant to you, but important to correct; the EDU discount is available to educators k-12, higher education and home school operators. It is available to ONLY higher education students and a *very* limited number of students that attend private k-12 schools.

I called Apple to verify, but High School students are now able to recieve the discount. It was approved very recently, and I know someone who has used the discount in high school.

mastephens said:
I called Apple to verify, but High School students are now able to recieve the discount. It was approved very recently, and I know someone who has used the discount in high school.
wat kind of discounts we looking at? :D say in Australia for a PB 12"?

mastephens said:
I almost bought an iPod about 2-3 years aog with a high school discount.... what do you mean recently?

I got the educational discount, said I was going to the College I graduated from 3 years ago. They don't seem to check, unless they called my school or something.

Yeah, they've got a discount on the nano. Pretty much anything they have, they'll sell at a discount for educational/student discount. The nano is $20 off the normal price. Thus, I bought the $249.99 4 gb nano (black) for $229.99. It also comes with free engraving and free shipping, which is nice.

Veritas616 said:
Yeah, they've got a discount on the nano. Pretty much anything they have, they'll sell at a discount for educational/student discount. The nano is $20 off the normal price. Thus, I bought the $249.99 4 gb nano (black) for $229.99. It also comes with free engraving and free shipping, which is nice.

Thanks for the info! I bought my nano at best buy with a 30 day refund policy (no restocking fee).

Looks like I'll be buying another one from apple.com because the only way you can get this discount would be from online? I have an apple store right next door. Hmm.

nope,

any apple store or college store with apple products will do it

:D

-esr

mastephens said:

how recently?

The guy said that it was approved within the past couple of weeks, but he also said that the website does not show that. He said there will be some updated info in the next week or two. The reason why I asked was that I was not able to get the student discount because I graduated a year early from High School and was going to take a year off. I went ahead and bought a 15" PowerBook for regular price. He said that if I talked to the right person that I could get my $200 for the student discount that I did not recieve.

mastephens said:
The guy said that it was approved within the past couple of weeks, but he also said that the website does not show that. He said there will be some updated info in the next week or two. The reason why I asked was that I was not able to get the student discount because I graduated a year early from High School and was going to take a year off. I went ahead and bought a 15" PowerBook for regular price. He said that if I talked to the right person that I could get my $200 for the student discount that I did not recieve.
It's been around for as long as the college discount I believe (which is quite a long time) so he was lying to you on that part. Also, since you graduated and are not in school, you are not elligable for the discount. Period. If you called 1-800-MY-APPLE, you can get in touch with sales support but they will NOT give you a discount if you tell them what you told us unless you complain enough.

The person you talked to basically meant "call and bitch. Don't stop bitching until they take you to their next level. Still bitch until they give you the discount". However, since you're not in school, it's against their policy to even give you any kind of discount so even the next level may not be able to do anything.

I have been wrong before though. Give them a call and try

yes, kris is correct, you need to be enrolled in some sort of class to take advantage of the educational discount put in place to make it easier for students to buy apple products. a lot easier. like ipod minis for $99 and remaining stock ibooks for $649..... anyone in socal looking for a sweat apple deal this weekend? :D.

-esr

Just buy through the education link. I haven't been in school for 8 years and every time I've ordered something from Apple I do it through the Edu store. They never check.

Back