¿ Edu / Academic software discounts ?

_jd_

Weaksauce
had an orientation session at the college today, and reading about all you guys getting WinXPPro and schtuff for free or for $10,- or such at school... I went around asking, but let's just say I didn't get very far.

Typical reactions:
- blank stare
- "huh ?"
- "you speak english ?"
and my favourite:
- "go talk to the financial assistance office if you have financial difficulties"
:rolleyes:

I poked around M$ website and all I found was some 'discount' for XP Pro upgrade - @ $99 :(

so can someone explain to me what exactly is the deal with that ? and if my school doesn't have these deals available, is it possible to go directly through M$ or not ?

I go to the University of Texas at San Antonio, and basically if we want/need software there is a school sponsored store that gives us discounted prices for software. When I went for orientation they pointed it out. Its basically in the bookstore they have on campus (or one of them), so maybe check the bookstore at your campus.

If not, then I don't know where it would be... that is if your school even has it.

Hope that helps.

I tried all sorts of places/people incl. IT program coordinator (!?!) and the book/comp store (that's where they thought I'm begging for free software or something :) )

Hmm... well, I don't know of any other place you could check on campus.

I know at Michigan State they let you go to the comp store to buy, or you can order online... Maybe there's a website you can go to on your school's site.

Also, if you tell us your university maybe we could help find it.

If you don't mind ordering from the internet you could try this place...

The Academic Superstore

When you order, before they'll ship anything, you have to provide proof that you're a student. I don't remember what all qualifies as proof but they have a list of things somewhere on the site. I ordered something for my son from them and got a really good price on it and all I had to do was provide proof that my son was a student.

Try checking out your school's computer support or networking website. whoever supplies internet to the residences. Our university had a section of that website where students could order discounted software. The discounts weren't too great but they were reasonable.

Peace

The academic discount software usually isn't that great of a deal. It's only a few bucks off the retail price. You can get it at any store pretty much, like Newegg. The people who are getting the really good deals, are ones who go to Microsoft Alliance schools. The e-Academy program gives CS related students free licenses for almost all of Microsoft's products (except Office). You only pay for the CD.

Maximus825 said:
The academic discount software usually isn't that great of a deal. It's only a few bucks off the retail price. You can get it at any store pretty much, like Newegg. The people who are getting the really good deals, are ones who go to Microsoft Alliance schools.

well I guess that answers that. thanks guys...

_jd_ said:
well I guess that answers that. thanks guys...

it really depends on what terms and programs a particular school has in place with various software developers, you didnt mention which school your attending or what software titles your interesteed in. Sometimes the discounts can be substantial, sometimes as mentioned they arent, sometimes the deals are with just School X (bookstore example above) othertimes like the Superstore they are available to any student meeting the criteria. You can also check with individual software developers for programs they have in place, you might be able to buy directly.

Back